We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: symbols and tomes -- where do they drop? share your discoveries

Quote Originally Posted by Evendale View Post

Anyway, I think its pretty pathetic that a defense for having these items in the store is that they are available in game as well ... at this drop rate, they may as well not be in game at all, as getting the tomes you want would require a herculean, and mind numbingly boring, grind with no guarantees!! >.<
    QFT.

Although I did get a tier II vitality tome to drop in the maze at level 20 on the first boss last night. But that was the first tome since they closed and re-opened the maze, I've probably done it about 30 times since then. I really wish they would increase the rate tomes drop at, it's pretty ridiculous. It's like they WANT us to get frustrated trying to farm them so we spend money. Oh wait, it probably is.
    Last edited by robby123; Sep 29 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evendale View Post
    Although.... it does seem a little odd/dodgy that robnkarla1 supposedly got 6 tomes in the first couple of days... Even if the maze was dropping twice as much loot as it was supposed to.
    To comment on this - I was REALLY lucky and/or the drop rate has been lowered at some point in-between. So far I've been able to loot 14 tomes, although I have not seen one drop in over a week even though I have run nearly as many runs as before.

I do believe I have been lucky on drops, but I would not be surprised if the drop rate has been adjusted at some point after launch (not counting the changes to the maze).

Edit: I should probably note that even with the luck I got at the beginning, I personally think that current drop rate for the tomes is absurdly low. With the possibility of tremendous dry spells (0 in 50/100+ runs), this alone drives off droves of players from even trying to obtain them via gameplay.
    Last edited by robnkarla; Sep 29 2010 at 06:13 PM.
    [size=2][u][url="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328837-Sauron-vs.-Tom-Bombadil"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] ♪♫[/color][COLOR="DarkOrange"]A fun what-if video I hope lightens your day[/color][COLOR="Red"]♫♪[/color][/size]

Meh, why all the fuss? Most of the game is fairly easy. Nothing was taken from your characters that they will need to get Tomes to compensate for. Do you really need so many Tomes?
    Meneldor: Cuthwald, Laegerehd, Ori, Amyryllis, Cirinell
    Brandywine: Dorolin, Ceolford
    *Founding member of the Firebrands of Caruja*
    I miss my old Alpha2 registry number...
    (Tip-toe through the Mewlips)

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes77 View Post
    Meh, why all the fuss? Most of the game is fairly easy. Nothing was taken from your characters that they will need to get Tomes to compensate for. Do you really need so many Tomes?
    Nope, I don't need to progress my character at all. I don't need 2nd ages, I don't need relics, I don't need virtues. But then getting all that is what makes these games fun.

It's a shame that something that could of been fun to acquire in game isn't. Now it's buy it or do without. Instead of grinding for these I'm leveling my 9th alt.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001396ea/01007/signature.png]Malmegil[/charsig]

Gorliandor - 65 Champ | Faewyne - 65 Hunter | Findur - 65 Burg | Morlach - 65 LM
    Rakgrim - 65 Guard | Ayannae - 65 Minstrel | Celbur - 65 Warden | Nethan - 45 Capt

Quote Originally Posted by robnkarla View Post
    To comment on this - I was REALLY lucky and/or the drop rate has been lowered at some point in-between. So far I've been able to loot 14 tomes, although I have not seen one drop in over a week even though I have run nearly as many runs as before.

I do believe I have been lucky on drops, but I would not be surprised if the drop rate has been adjusted at some point after launch (not counting the changes to the maze).

Edit: I should probably note that even with the luck I got at the beginning, I personally think that current drop rate for the tomes is absurdly low. With the possibility of tremendous dry spells (0 in 50/100+ runs), this alone drives off droves of players from even trying to obtain them via gameplay.
    Yea, that did cross my mind as well (that they may have lowered the drop rate at some point, or gradually over time). People did seem to be getting more earlier on, although I mostly put it down to the fact that a lot more people play over the first week or two, combined with a few days of the extra loot from the maze ... although your experience seems to suggest otherwise.

Still, I think it's pretty unlikely they have done this - reducing the drop rate since the start of f2p to try and frustrate more people into spending $ on tomes would be pretty horrid policy imo.
    [B]Elendilmir - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evenwyn[/COLOR][/B] Burglar[B] - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evendale[/COLOR][/B] Guardian
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]Combat Analysis[/B] [/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2]([B]v4.2.3b[/B]) - [/SIZE][/FONT]Download "[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info502-CombatAnalysis.html"]here[/URL]"

Do we as a community have enough runs in to specualate on a drop rate? I've seen exaclty ONE tome drop since F2P (tier 2 will, from demafaer), before patch, and nothing since. There may have been a lowering in the drop rate, but I'm not sure we have enough data (or at least enough collective data) to accurately identify a drop rate.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000aa753/01004/signature.png]Roselindea[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by twittfounder View Post
    Do we as a community have enough runs in to specualate on a drop rate? I've seen exaclty ONE tome drop since F2P (tier 2 will, from demafaer), before patch, and nothing since. There may have been a lowering in the drop rate, but I'm not sure we have enough data (or at least enough collective data) to accurately identify a drop rate.
    The drop rate is so low it would take a lot of runs to get close to an accurate drop rate. I would say <1% per chest right now. As for lowering the drop rate, symbol drop rates have certainly been lowered (or we were just crazy lucky in the first week) so it wouldn't surprise me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001396ea/01007/signature.png]Malmegil[/charsig]

Gorliandor - 65 Champ | Faewyne - 65 Hunter | Findur - 65 Burg | Morlach - 65 LM
    Rakgrim - 65 Guard | Ayannae - 65 Minstrel | Celbur - 65 Warden | Nethan - 45 Capt

Got a Tome of Will V tonight from Storvâgûn at Helegrod (Not HM).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000174f1d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

while wasn't with the group that did it, can confirm a Tome of Might III dropped from Thorog in Helegrod.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000aa753/01004/signature.png]Roselindea[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by twittfounder View Post
    while wasn't with the group that did it, can confirm a Tome of Might III dropped from Thorog in Helegrod.
    We had a Tome of Fate I drop from Storvagun's chest or body (level 65 instance). We're not really sure which.

I just had a Tome of Will V drop off the final boss in Ost Elendil, was pretty surprised. After talking with other people in Silverlode GLFF, they reported only seeing V tomes drop off raid bosses before (Thorog specifically.) I plan on auctioning it off on Saturday if anyone is interested.

I can finally confirm that these tomes actually drop

Got a Tome of Might I on my 32nd solo GB run. It was from the first chest of Maze @ lvl 21.

gl guys! happy grinding
    Yunaleska - 65 Hunter | Tiedus - 65 RK | Yunileska - 65 Captain | Cefiroth - 65 Burg

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001bf533/01001/signature.png]Tiedus[/charsig]

Tome of Fate tier 2 from Samorg chest at level 65.
    Last edited by kert112; Oct 13 2010 at 05:23 AM.

Is there a level restriction as to how the tomes drop?

I've been running level 30 maze / thadur repeatedly at 65 to solo and burst through just to test drop rate (and try for I/II tomes instead of III/IV/V tomes) and have not seen one.
    Last edited by Gedrevn; Oct 14 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Fantasy Land, sharing a house with Loch Ness and Bigfoot

Have so far gotten a hold of;
    2 x Agility I
    1 x Might I
    1 x Fate I
    1 x Agility II
    1 x Might II
    1 x Fate II
    1 x Vitality II

In addition, i have seen drops that i didn't win of;
    1 x Agility III

All tomes eaten are from GB instances (more success with Thadur/Sambrog, with only one of those tomes coming from the Maze), obviously, all run between levels 30ish and 40. I've either reached 100 runs, or am slowly approaching. The Agility III that i didn't win was from a Sambrog at L65.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]

You are having far more success than me. 200+ runs and I seen 4 drops.

32 captain - did a a 27ish run of GB, Tome of Agility 1 dropped off twins chest.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001bbc76/signature.png]Warcries[/charsig]/signature.png]Warcries[/charsig]

Another post for symbols in School/Library, had 1 in School then another 5 runs later.
    [center]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002ad6db/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/center]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3