We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to be a Good Guardian Part 1-By The Smidgett

Hello all! This is Smidgett of Nimrodel. I’m here to write a guide on how to tank, dps, and pvp on a guardian. I will also go into good stats to stack, gear you should get and what not to do.

1. Tanking

Your main role as a guardian is to tank. If you don’t like to tank ./delete and reroll your class. There are so many guardians that fail at tanking when really it’s quite easy. Here are some tips for being a successful tank, When pulling a group of mobs don’t go running in doing fray the edge. Run in and let out a big challenge. After that if you block use litany of defiance then shield taunt. You should then have your challenge back up. Use it and continue the rotation till mobs are dead. If you are tanking a single target like a boss use engage, vexing, blow, shield blow, shield swipe, bash, and whirling retaliation as much as possible while continuing to use challenge, litany of defiance, and shield taunt. If you do this you should be able to hold aggro on pretty much anything. There is one exeption. Blagh and Rung in Dar Nagabund. DO NOT USE ANY MELEE TAUNTING SKILLS ON THEM. That means no engage or vexing blow or any other skills where you physicly hit the mob. ONLY TAUNTS. Very many guardian’s trait lame. I have found a build for tanking that I keep most of the time. The virtues I equip are Valour, Justice, Fidelity, Innocence, and Loyalty. If your rolling a new guardian I would go with Hobbit or Man. Stay away from Elves and Dwarves. Yes dwarves do get more morale and more block rating but I found that I didn’t need the block rating on my guardian. I found that I could cap my block rating very easily. DO NOT EVER PLAY AN ELF GUARDIAN. Elves are the worst class you can choose to be as a guardian. They get less morale and no real usefull race traits. Ooooooh parry! Woopy flippin’ doo!!! Parry isn’t that neccesary as a guardian and it only last for 15 seconds. I chose race of man because they get man heal. It restores 2000-3000 morale and even more with incoming healing AND EVEN MORE WHEN IT CRITS! WOOOOOT! Hobbits don’t really get anything cool but hey haven’t you always wanted to tank a balrog on a 2 feet tall midget? It’s epic. Class traits are where Guardian’s really go wrong. They slot these useless +partial block and parry traits. THAT ISN’T TANKING TRAITS. Here is a list of traits I use to succesfully tank: Stoic, Grim Challenge, Controlled Breathing, Defensive Expertise, Litany of Challenge, Quick of Foot, and Shield of Fire. This gives you a short cooldown on Challenge, Stamp, and Block Rating as well as a few other goodies. The LEGENDARY TRAITS I use are To The King, Challenge the Darkness, and Litany Master. These give you many advantages. To the king makes you a burg essentially. When you crit on this skill which happends often you get a Fellowship Manouvre. I ran Urugarth 2 man with a burg and I got 34 FM’s when he got 21. See what I mean? My raid calls on me for FM’s instead of the burg half the time. Challenge the Darkness gives you and OH ****! skill. It is a 10 minute cooldown taunt that gives you a bunch of aggro and gives you the buff you get when you use guardian’s ward. Finally Litany Master makes it so that whenever you crit on your melee aggro skills it gives you the aggro over time like Litany of Defiance. Now that I’ve gone through tanking tips and traits lets go to my favorite ranting subject-Legendary LEGECIES!!!!!!! Sooo many guardian’s walk around with pathetic legecies. Here is a list of some good legecies for tanking on a belt and weapon: Belt- Challenge Targets, Skill Threat Up, Catch a Breath Cooldown, Catch a Breath Morale Heal, Warrior’s Heart/Fortitude Morale Heal, and if room left Power Restore on Reactions and Cry Resist Rating. If you have all those legecies I am jelous. I still don’t have them all. If going for a belt get a lvl 60 1st age. They get more points. On a weapon you should try and get these legecies: Stamp Cooldown, Guardian’s Pledge Cooldown, Turn the Tables Cooldown, Targeted Melee Skills Range, Guardian’s Bleed Damage, and Whirling Retaltiation Damage. These are the best legecies you can get for tanking. Lastly on my multi-part guide on how to be a good guardian is gear. There is some lame gear out there. Alot of it is worn by you. Now I understand many of you have computer’s that run on gasoline and coal so this all may not be accesible for you. For jewelry you should wear a Aurete Hoop of Combat and Certhloch from DN. For a necklace wear the Warrior’s Greenwood Necklace. For a pocket item I would get the Black Pearl (The Watcher) or The Minature Brass Anvil (Halls of Crafting) if you can’t the Charm of Defense from the barterer in Mirkwood is a cheapy. For armlets I would wear the bracelet with Block Rating from Dungeon’s of Dol Guldor (Don’t know the name) or the One from the moors. I would also use Lorechor from Flagit in DN. For rings go with Ril Mir and an Aurete Band of Morale unless you can get your hands on Faeringor from DN. For gear I would love to have the watcher set bonus but the gear isn’t as good as DN. You should wear the 10 radiance leggings from the moria instances and all the rest DN radiance. I hope this chapter of How to be a good guardian helps you in your quest to become an awsome tank. I’ll be writing part 2 (DPS) and part 3 (PVP) soon. Until then go and do something else!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0100000fa66f/signature.png]Smidgettindisguise[/charsig]

Re: How to be a Good Guardian Part 1-By The Smidgett

no thanks

words
    argh i'm a killerrrr
    you are lolTS'dGREYbarDEAD'ded
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000010a29e/signature.png]Gereshom[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by XanderLowe View Post
    Hello all! This is Smidgett of Nimrodel. I’m here to write a guide on how to tank, dps, and pvp on a guardian. I will also go into good stats to stack, gear you should get and what not to do.

1. Tanking

Your main role as a guardian is to tank.

If you don’t like to tank ./delete and reroll your class.

There are so many guardians that fail at tanking when really it’s quite easy.

Here are some tips for being a successful tank.

When pulling a group of mobs don’t go running in doing fray the edge.

Run in and let out a big challenge.

After that if you block use litany of defiance then shield taunt.

You should then have your challenge back up.

Use it and continue the rotation till mobs are dead.

If you are tanking a single target like a boss use engage, vexing, blow, shield blow, shield swipe, bash, and whirling retaliation as much as possible while continuing to use challenge, litany of defiance, and shield taunt.

If you do this you should be able to hold aggro on pretty much anything.

There is one exeption. Blagh and Rung in Dar Nagabund. DO NOT USE ANY MELEE TAUNTING SKILLS ON THEM.

That means no engage or vexing blow or any other skills where you physicly hit the mob. ONLY TAUNTS.

Very many guardian’s trait lame.

I have found a build for tanking that I keep most of the time.

The virtues I equip are Valour, Justice, Fidelity, Innocence, and Loyalty.

If your rolling a new guardian I would go with Hobbit or Man.

Stay away from Elves and Dwarves.

Yes dwarves do get more morale and more block rating but I found that I didn’t need the block rating on my guardian.

I found that I could cap my block rating very easily.

DO NOT EVER PLAY AN ELF GUARDIAN. Elves are the worst class you can choose to be as a guardian.

They get less morale and no real usefull race traits

Ooooooh parry! Woopy flippin’ doo!!!

Parry isn’t that neccesary as a guardian and it only last for 15 seconds.

I chose race of man because they get man heal.

It restores 2000-3000 morale and even more with incoming healing AND EVEN MORE WHEN IT CRITS! WOOOOOT!

Hobbits don’t really get anything cool but hey haven’t you always wanted to tank a balrog on a 2 feet tall midget? It’s epic.

Class traits are where Guardian’s really go wrong.

They slot these useless +partial block and parry traits.

THAT ISN’T TANKING TRAITS.

Here is a list of traits I use to succesfully tank:
    Stoic,
    Grim Challenge,
    Controlled Breathing,
    Defensive Expertise,
    Litany of Challenge,
    Quick of Foot, and Shield of Fire.

This gives you a short cooldown on Challenge, Stamp, and Block Rating as well as a few other goodies.

The LEGENDARY TRAITS I use are To The King, Challenge the Darkness, and Litany Master.

These give you many advantages.

To the king makes you a burg essentially.

When you crit on this skill which happends often you get a Fellowship Manouvre.

I ran Urugarth 2 man with a burg and I got 34 FM’s when he got 21. See what I mean?

My raid calls on me for FM’s instead of the burg half the time.

Challenge the Darkness gives you and OH ****! skill.

It is a 10 minute cooldown taunt that gives you a bunch of aggro and gives you the buff you get when you use guardian’s ward.

Finally Litany Master makes it so that whenever you crit on your melee aggro skills it gives you the aggro over time like Litany of Defiance.

Now that I’ve gone through tanking tips and traits lets go to my favorite ranting subject-Legendary LEGECIES!!!!!!!

Sooo many guardian’s walk around with pathetic legecies.

Here is a list of some good legecies for tanking on a belt and weapon:

Belt- Challenge Targets,
    Skill Threat Up,
    Catch a Breath Cooldown,
    Catch a Breath Morale Heal,
    Warrior’s Heart/Fortitude Morale Heal, and if room left Power Restore on Reactions and Cry Resist Rating.

If you have all those legecies I am jelous.

I still don’t have them all.

If going for a belt get a lvl 60 1st age.

They get more points.

On a weapon you should try and get these legecies:

Stamp Cooldown,
    Guardian’s Pledge Cooldown,
    Turn the Tables Cooldown,
    Targeted Melee Skills Range,
    Guardian’s Bleed Damage, and Whirling Retaltiation Damage.

These are the best legecies you can get for tanking.

Lastly on my multi-part guide on how to be a good guardian is gear.

There is some lame gear out there.

Alot of it is worn by you.

Now I understand many of you have computer’s that run on gasoline and coal so this all may not be accesible for you.

For jewelry you should wear a Aurete Hoop of Combat and Certhloch from DN.

For a necklace wear the Warrior’s Greenwood Necklace.

For a pocket item I would get the Black Pearl (The Watcher) or The Minature Brass Anvil (Halls of Crafting) if you can’t the Charm of Defense from the barterer in Mirkwood is a cheapy.

For armlets I would wear the bracelet with Block Rating from Dungeon’s of Dol Guldor (Don’t know the name) or the One from the moors.

I would also use Lorechor from Flagit in DN.

For rings go with Ril Mir and an Aurete Band of Morale unless you can get your hands on Faeringor from DN.

For gear I would love to have the watcher set bonus but the gear isn’t as good as DN.

You should wear the 10 radiance leggings from the moria instances and all the rest DN radiance.

I hope this chapter of How to be a good guardian helps you in your quest to become an awsome tank.

I’ll be writing part 2 (DPS) and part 3 (PVP) soon. Until then go and do something else!

You're welcome...

The word matrix is back!!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][U]Dirtyblonde[/U] 65[/B] Burg (Nimrodel) | [U][B]Notblondie[/B][/U] (Nimrodel) | [U][B]Scratchs[/B][/U][/FONT] (Elendilmir)
    [OOC] ****** : 'except blondie, hes already GM smartass'
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s"]Blame the players.
    [/URL][url="http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/ref/2283770762"] Battlefield Heroes is really fun![/url]

Quote Originally Posted by BLoNdiE View Post
    The word matrix is back!!!

Lol!!!!! ...... no, really more like

*bows head*

(trying to come up with something to say, but I don't have the words)
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post

(trying to come up with something to say, but I don't have the words)
    This brings us to the conclusion of the Guardian guide: How not to.

My eyes are burning.
    Was this necessary?
    [color=purple]Hunter**Lore-Master**Minstrel
    Hard Mode doesn't just have to be Turbine's invention.[/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000c9636/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I chose race of man because they get man heal
    Tank = Guardian Dwarf ! no other way
    [COLOR=#66ccff][LEFT]
    [/LEFT]
    [CENTER][COLOR=Black][B][SIZE="3"]Sekira Trinitrotoluene[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| PENETRATING THE CREEPS SINCE 2007 [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#66ccff][SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [/CENTER]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by mladjacool View Post
    Tank = Guardian Dwarf ! no other way
    Dwarves ftl! :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0100000fa66f/signature.png]Smidgettindisguise[/charsig]

Hiya Smidge,

I'm Doctor Turdram,
    /sits down and pulls out clip board
    And these are my associates, Nurse Tsion "/highfive", our Anesthesiologist Dr. Urukind "/Blimey!", and Head Orderly Windybear "/Yo(6 creeps at GV, heading north by northwest, 7 clicks, lightly armed)(mt)!"

We've been sent here by the community for, well, for an intervention.

It's okay, lets start out with a group hug, /hug, yes, because everyone's beliefs have value just because you are you!

Doesn't that feel good!? We all want to feel good. I'ts okay, let it all out, it's okay to cry. Everyone here loves you and wants you to be you, just without, the... you know. We're going to work through this together. You are not alone. There are people here that care about you.

[I'm kidding I'm kidding ]
    lols
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001580ae/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Be Excellent To Each Other

My Guard is only 47 so I won't respond to anything about being a Guard, but I do have all the races, all more than once, and I will respond to that. Saying that Elf and Dwarf Guards are fail is rather silly and is one reason you aren't being taken seriously.

Scenario: You're tanking Durchest, your mini dies/goes link dead. Would rather have 10 seconds of Eldars Grace or a 3k heal that Durchest can burn through times 2 in 1 hit? I was going to bring up Endurance of Stone, but with Durchest a 75% mitigation to common, shadow, and fire damage wouldn't help, but in most cases it would still be better than Man Heal. Hobbit racials? Forget it, playing dead or disappearing isn't going to endear you to the raid. BTW, my Guard is a Hobbit for the reason you mention and I like balance, I only had 1 other Hobbit.

Man Heal hasn't been scaled up to level 65. Back at level 50 when you had 4-5k morale Man Heal was awesome. Now at 8-9k its almost useless.
    Last edited by Gladgilrian; Sep 01 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    [center][color=red]Now roaming the earth searching for a fun, interesting game.......again.[/color][/center]

[center][URL=http://s545.photobucket.com/user/fenderp61/media/ESO/Narcosys500_zpsaa2b6fce.jpg.html][IMG]http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh367/fenderp61/ESO/Narcosys500_zpsaa2b6fce.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Gladgilrian View Post
    My Guard is only 47 so I won't respond to anything about being a Guard, but I do have all the races, all more than once, and I will respond to that. Saying that Elf and Dwarf Guards are fail is rather silly and is one reason you aren't being taken seriously.

Scenario: You're tanking Durchest, your mini dies/goes link dead. Would rather have 10 seconds of Eldars Grace or a 3k heal that Durchest can burn through times 2 in 1 hit? I was going to bring up Endurance of Stone, but with Durchest a 75% mitigation to common, shadow, and fire damage wouldn't help, but in most cases it would still be better than Man Heal. Hobbit racials? Forget it, playing dead or disappearing isn't going to endear you to the raid. BTW, my Guard is a Hobbit for the reason you mention and I like balance, I only had 1 other Hobbit.

Man Heal hasn't been scaled up to level 65. Back at level 50 when you had 4-5k morale Man Heal was awesome. Now at 8-9k its almost useless.
    You make a good point there. It would be more usefull there. It's my personal oppinion. I had a guard of every race as well and yeah hobbits are not the best choice for a tank. I didn't make the post for everyone to be supportive. I know most of this is not really the best. I honestly don't give a flip.
    Last edited by XanderLowe; Sep 01 2010 at 08:12 PM.

To any guardians looking for help/advice that will point you in the right direction, look me up on any of my toons and I will be vey happy to help. For now I'll pre-empt your need for help and say that you will not likely find it in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GEARS1980 View Post
    Hiya Smidge,

I'm Doctor Turdram,
    /sits down and pulls out clip board
    And these are my associates, Nurse Tsion "/highfive", our Anesthesiologist Dr. Urukind "/Blimey!", and Head Orderly Windybear "/Yo(6 creeps at GV, heading north by northwest, 7 clicks, lightly armed)(mt)!"

We've been sent here by the community for, well, for an intervention.

It's okay, lets start out with a group hug, /hug, yes, because everyone's beliefs have value just because you are you!

Doesn't that feel good!? We all want to feel good. I'ts okay, let it all out, it's okay to cry. Everyone here loves you and wants you to be you, just without, the... you know. We're going to work through this together. You are not alone. There are people here that care about you.

[I'm kidding I'm kidding ]
    lols
    Const, I swear to God if you make me laugh like that in a school library WHILE A TOUR OF NEW STUDENTS IS WALKING PAST, I'm going to hunt you down pour boiling fondue down your throat!!!

i think I broke a rib.
    [CENTER][FONT=book antiqua][B]Maradie Dyer[/B]
    [I]Mythgard
    [/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
    Hoc est quo deum antecedatis:
    ille extra patientiam malorum est, vos supra patientiam.

Sorry for any mis-information I may have caused. I was giving my personal view that helped me by an old friend playing from the start of lotro gave me. If you find it usefull great! If your already a "well-oiled" guardian like Xaelwen you probably have found this of no use. But since someone who takes time to look at a post if they already know how to be a good guardian either sucks (Xael probably doesn't) or is a troll which I'm guessing is the case. Either way I don't really care. As long as 1 person got a piece of good information that is usefull to them I consider my job done.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhope View Post
    Const, I swear to God if you make me laugh like that in a school library WHILE A TOUR OF NEW STUDENTS IS WALKING PAST, I'm going to hunt you down pour boiling fondue down your throat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zachhope View Post
    i think I broke a rib.
    Tissue......? lol

Quote Originally Posted by SeigneurDude View Post

Tissue......? lol
    and some plaster of paris for a cast DD
    [CENTER][FONT=book antiqua][B]Maradie Dyer[/B]
    [I]Mythgard
    [/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
    Hoc est quo deum antecedatis:
    ille extra patientiam malorum est, vos supra patientiam.

Sorry for any mis-information I may have caused. I was giving my personal view that helped me by an old friend playing from the start of lotro gave me. If you find it usefull great! If your already a "well-oiled" guardian like Xaelwen you probably have found this of no use. But since someone who takes time to look at a post if they already know how to be a good guardian either sucks (Xael probably doesn't) or is a troll which I'm guessing is the case. Either way I don't really care. As long as 1 person got a piece of good information that is usefull to them I consider my job done.
    So..you're saying Xael shouldn't comment on a thread saying "How to be a Good Guardian" because he already IS a good guardian? Sounds a bit...wonky there....I think he posted so other people can get HIS advice on how to be a good guard...or how to not be a good guard..that way he doesn't have to make another thread saying the same thing, blah blah blah :P He's not a troll, nor does he suck..just putting in his opinion.

(It's like you're writing a tutorial, then saying, 'if you think I'm wrong, or think you know how to do better, then why are you reading this?')
    [center]Main - Handin 65 Hunter[/center]
    [center]Creep[/center]
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0100000c3d1b/signature.png]Handon[/charsig][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by de4thm4ge411 View Post
    So..you're saying Xael shouldn't comment on a thread saying "How to be a Good Guardian" because he already IS a good guardian? Sounds a bit...wonky there....I think he posted so other people can get HIS advice on how to be a good guard...or how to not be a good guard..that way he doesn't have to make another thread saying the same thing, blah blah blah :P He's not a troll, nor does he suck..just putting in his opinion.

(It's like you're writing a tutorial, then saying, 'if you think I'm wrong, or think you know how to do better, then why are you reading this?')
    Guess who doesn't really care? Me! What was failed to be mentioned was what was apparently bad or lame or false about the post. That is why I say troll. Talk about how something is wrong or bad but don't ay why. If I get specific information about how it was false misleading or any other mis-information I will say that I am wrong. Until then I frankly could care less.

Until then I frankly could care less.
    So you do care then?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][U]Dirtyblonde[/U] 65[/B] Burg (Nimrodel) | [U][B]Notblondie[/B][/U] (Nimrodel) | [U][B]Scratchs[/B][/U][/FONT] (Elendilmir)
    [OOC] ****** : 'except blondie, hes already GM smartass'
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s"]Blame the players.
    [/URL][url="http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/ref/2283770762"] Battlefield Heroes is really fun![/url]

Biggest issues I have with lots of guards: Learn to 'tank' more than one target. Anyone can keep aggro on one target (boss or elite or sig).
    If you can't keep aggro on a whole group of mobs you are not a tank and you will cause your fellowship to wipe in difficult situations.
    2x 85, 3x 75+, several deleted characters

Question I have...why do people always put guard, or tanks up as main target asssists??? That makes no sense to me at all.... The best guard I played with was constantly switching between mobs to keep their agro on him.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000b8867/01004/signature.png]Mariegold[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by canadianbassboy View Post
    Question I have...why do people always put guard, or tanks up as main target asssists??? That makes no sense to me at all.... The best guard I played with was constantly switching between mobs to keep their agro on him.
    Lazy healers don't want to move over to the fellowship vitals apparently? I personally don't use the assist window to target the tank, but I know some people do.
    [url=my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/Dagalace][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000d6145/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/url] [color=deepskyblue]
    [b]~ The Veteran ~ [/b]Reaver Foe ~ Stalker Foe ~ Blackarrow Foe ~ Weaver Foe [/color]
    [color=lightgreen] [b][url=my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/Esclord][color=red]Esclord[/color][/b][/url] ~ Level 65 Rank 7 Champion[/color]
    [url=my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/Horenal][b][color=red]Horenal[/url][/b][/color][color=lightgreen] ~ Level 65 Rank 6 Lore-Master[/color] [b][color=deepskyblue]~ Challenger of Gortheron ~ [/color][/b]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast