We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Free 2 Play F A Q

There's a typo under D2.1 Gold Restrictions. Subscritpion?

I can be nit picky, I guess. Especially if it's stickied.

Considering how much work you've guys have been doing lately I'm surprised the posts aren't all typos.

This FAQs helps out a lot though. Thanks!
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/user-1001408/2010/10/21/i-can-haz-well-formulated-sentence-and-so-can-u/][b][u][size=4]i can haz well formulated sentence and so can u![/size][/b][/u][/url]

Right now this is a stickie at the top of the General Discussion page. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put it as a stickie to the top of the LotRO Free-to-Play Discussion page as well?

Also, under the store section it just mentions that there are no refunds: "All store purchases are final and non-refundable. Be sure you really want the points or item you have selected."
    You may also want to include in that section what steps to take if a problem occurs, i.e., you get something other than what you bought, get nothing at all, the item you bought doesn't work, too many or too few TP were removed from your account, etc. Would a player submit an in-game bug report, file a help ticket, contact customer service, click an in-store help button?
    Last edited by MarkoftheRealm; Aug 21 2010 at 01:03 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000005f578/01000/signature.png]Karaoke[/charsig]

Can you buy SoM without owning MoM?

If so, there really is no way (besides being ported) to get to mirkwood. All stables lead to CG.
    Leader of [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=173712]R.A.I.D.[/url] (Rememberme's Awesome Instructional Directions).

Quote Originally Posted by nikito View Post
    Can you buy SoM without owning MoM?

If so, there really is no way (besides being ported) to get to mirkwood. All stables lead to CG.
    The expansions include the previous. If you buy SoM, you get MoM and SoA.

Quote Originally Posted by Savash View Post
    The expansions include the previous. If you buy SoM, you get MoM and SoA.

im re-reading the beta post. I can't seem to find it (im not done yet) do you know where this was said?

--------------

Another question - What happens if I send a Free Player money over the cap? Can they not accept any at all? Will it accept only some of that money - then what happens to the rest? Does it go away.

Please don't respond with "Just don't send more than x to a free player." Sometimes I just mail kinnies money when they complain about how broke they are, as a nice random surprise/gift.
    Leader of [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=173712]R.A.I.D.[/url] (Rememberme's Awesome Instructional Directions).

Quote Originally Posted by Korandon View Post
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/AutoCAD-Autodesk-Court-License-Software,news-4806.html

US court says software is owned, not licensed

Times, they are a-changing.
    Actually, that's irrelevant. Yes, you own the game client, but you do not own the content on Turbine's servers, and without their consent you cannot access any of it. They get to define the terms of that access: how you get it, how much of it is free (if any), and how the rest needs to be paid for (and what it will cost). You're not entitled to any of it unless you abide by the terms of access the content provider has defined. When you bought the original client, the deal was 30 days of access plus a client that can connect to the servers and render the game world for $50. That was quite literally all. Without the subscription, your game client was completely worthless after 30 days. You still "owned" it, but it was useless.

As of September 10th, it's less useless than it was before. But that doesn't magically dissolve Turbine's rights to set the terms and conditions under which players may access parts or all of the game's features and content. They're doing so, in a manner which will mean they can actually make some profit. That's what all businesses strive to do.

Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Aug 23 2010 at 05:34 PM.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

I've cleaned this thread up quite a bit. Please be aware, this is not the place to debate, argue, or otherwise offer editorials on the F2P experience or service. There are plenty of other threads for you to use to that purpose.

If you have a question you feel should be added to the FAQ or information you feel will help round out the information provided, please feel free to post it.

If this comes off the rails again, infractions and locking will ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    If this comes off the rails again, infractions and locking will ensue.
    /three cheers
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Another question - What happens if I send a Free Player money over the cap? Can they not accept any at all? Will it accept only some of that money - then what happens to the rest? Does it go away.

Please don't respond with "Just don't send more than x to a free player." Sometimes I just mail kinnies money when they complain about how broke they are, as a nice random surprise/gift.

From my understanding (take it for what it's worth):

Any money that the character recieves/accumulates above the gold cap goes into escrow that they will get when/if they remove the gold cap.

F2P Kinnie has 500 silver, and you send them 2G - they get to keep 1.5G of what you sent (for a total of 2G in inventory, cap for free players), the 500s overage goes into escrow

F2PK buys small house for 1G, they will have 1G in inventory and 500s in escrow still

F2PK purchases "Remove Gold Restrictions" from Turbine Store, kinnie now has 1.5G inventory.

(specific limit amounts may not be current, but the general idea of the escrow mechanic is correct to the best of my knowledge)
    Mostly Harmless since 1999!
    Silverlode: Ogord - lv85 Hobbit Guardian; Shaewyn - lv75 Hobbit Minstrel; Odorfi - lv61 Dwarf hunter; Ogordi - lv51 Human Warden

Quote Originally Posted by Drogo1 View Post
    snip

F2PK buys small house for 1G, they will have 1G in inventory and 500s in escrow still
    snip
    This is my understanding as well; so you can't just "accumulate" escrow money and slowly whittle it down with purchases.

im re-reading the beta post. I can't seem to find it (im not done yet) do you know where this was said?.

It wasn't "said" anywhere. You can look at any Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood product (not the LotRO store versions). Every description says it includes Shadows of Angmar, which if you wasn't aware, Shadows of Angmar is the BASE game, I.E. content all the way up to the gates of Moria. So to reiterate there is absolutely no way you can NOT receive Shadows of Angmar if you purchase a product with the description "Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria" or "Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood". Again this only Applies to purchases made outside of the LotRO Store

Take note however, that while you purchased the original game, this does NOT mean you get automatic access to the quests outside the starting areas when F2P launches. The only quests you will have forever are the quests that come with expansions ONLY (I.E. Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood). The only way to have access to quests outside of the starting zones ( bree-land, the shire, Ered Luin) is if you buy the quest packs separately.
    Last edited by prfella; Aug 23 2010 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanCarlo View Post
    This is my understanding as well; so you can't just "accumulate" escrow money and slowly whittle it down with purchases.
    As a beta player I can confirm that the escrow where your capped gold goes, is a hard cap. You can't use your current coin to gain access to it like a reserve by spending it.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the thanks (and of course the StickyLove from Cerridwen. While i'm curious about the dream, we already had to make changes to keep this thread on topic, so feel free to PM me about that. )

I'll be answering some questions, in no particular order. If I haven't answered your question yet, rest assured that it's not that I haven't seen it. I'm just waiting for confirmation, so I can be sure that this thread is as correct as possible (including spelling- thanks Pocoemme).

Please, also trust that there is a very good reason this thread is in general. However, feel free to link this thread where it might be useful. (Sharing is caring! )
    LOTRO Support Page & Knowledge Base
    To request support from a Customer Service Agent, simply click on "Submit a Ticket"
    English Account/Store Support is available Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. (GMT -5). 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Contact us on Twitter @LOTRO

Fixed

Last edited by JeanCarlo; Aug 23 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    As a beta player I can confirm that the escrow where your capped gold goes, is a hard cap. You can't use your current coin to gain access to it like a reserve by spending it.
    THanks for the confirmation Crell - I knew that's how it worked in early Beta - but life has kept me away from beta for the last couple of builds so there was the chance they had changed it...
    Mostly Harmless since 1999!
    Silverlode: Ogord - lv85 Hobbit Guardian; Shaewyn - lv75 Hobbit Minstrel; Odorfi - lv61 Dwarf hunter; Ogordi - lv51 Human Warden

Re: F2p Faq

Quote Originally Posted by sirwillow View Post
    *Waits for this to get the sticky love...
    An interesting way to put it...lol.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000011e734/signature.png]Rathdyr[/charsig]

D6-D8. Upgrades & Access - Angmar, Moria, Mirkwood
    In most cases an expansion will include access to the previous expansions. In most cases where this isn't true, the keys were only available through the Account Management website, and the system required you to have the previous versions in order to upgrade.
    I'm not sure how this will change with Free Play, including travel, but I'll find out.

D23. Skirmishes
    All answers pending confirmation.

S6. Store Items vs non-Store Items
    Any restrictions on an item are specific to that item. The item description will note what restrictions apply.
    Store items are restricted to account or character. All items will note what the applicable restrictions are. These items cannot be sold, traded, mailed, auctioned, etc. (Account bound items can be placed in the shared bank or mailed to another character on the same account.)
    Non-store items (including current items) may be bound, or if not bound they may be free to trade, mail, auction, etc. Any items that are not restricted may freely be sold, traded, etc without worry.

The launch of Free Play will not change the bound or unbound status of items previously acquired.

S2.1 Store Purchase Issues
    If you have any issue with a store purchase or the delivery of a store purchase (points, items, etc) please close the store and then re-open it. If this does not resolve the issue, please close the game and then re-open and log in again. If this still does not resolve the issue, please contact the Account Management department and they will be happy to research the issue. You may call or submit a web inquiry. If you call, please note that this type of research can be very involved, and is therefore generally not able to be completed while on the phone, but will be researched and an answer sent via email.

P9. Points for Deeds
    Points will not be granted for Deeds that have already been completed. Points will be granted for Deeds completed after the launch of Free Play. Deeds will no longer grant experience.
    There are new reputation Deeds which can be completed to earn points.

S5.1 Currency Cap and Escrow
    Additional answers pending confirmation.

D19. Monthly VIP Points (edited for clarity)
    Monthly VIP points will be granted within 2-3 days after the successful payment (or monthly anniversary for multi-month and Lifetime subscriptions).
    Last edited by Victorie; Aug 23 2010 at 07:55 PM.
    LOTRO Support Page & Knowledge Base
    To request support from a Customer Service Agent, simply click on "Submit a Ticket"
    English Account/Store Support is available Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. (GMT -5). 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Contact us on Twitter @LOTRO

While you're confirming your D23 information. It'd be nice to list the skirmishes included for free so that the list is readily accessible.
    (+Sleepy) is the one who was assisting me with this earlier.

D6.
    All players will also have full access to the Epic Story (Volume 1, Books 1 – 15), crafting and class quests up to level 50.
    Please clarify what this means in relation to the L50 class quests which take place within Angmar-Carn Dun.
    Last edited by Crell_1; Aug 23 2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Additional question

I would appreciate a clear statement in the FAQ about what content from SoA a player who downgrades from VIP to Premium retains. Paragraph D6 refers to free players.

Neither could I find a clear statement about how many character slots a player who downgrades from VIP to Premium will have.

These topics are arousing much agitation on the forums, and it would help to have a specific paragraph in this FAQ to refer to. Other than that, the FAQ is wonderful, and I appreciate the effort made to create it. Thanks, Victorie.

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Please clarify what this means in relation to the L50 class quests which take place within Angmar-Carn Dun.
    Technically, it doesn't since there are multiple ways to complete the quests without stepping into Angmar (AH, Skirm). I have a feeling that quote simply means you have access (i.e. can start/finish) the class quests without buying Angmar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    I would appreciate a clear statement in the FAQ about what content from SoA a player who downgrades from VIP to Premium retains. Paragraph D6 refers to free players.

Neither could I find a clear statement about how many character slots a player who downgrades from VIP to Premium will have.

These topics are arousing much agitation on the forums, and it would help to have a specific paragraph in this FAQ to refer to. Other than that, the FAQ is wonderful, and I appreciate the effort made to create it. Thanks, Victorie.
    Patience posted an answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Essentially, it's like this: When you purchased Shadows of Angmar, you had (have) to have a subscription to access that content. If you no longer subscribe, you lose access to it.

Under the new model, even if you drop your subscription you can keep playing for free, but not everything is available to you like it is for subscribers. You won't lose access to all of the SOA content, but you will lose access to some of it unless you purchase it. As it stands now, under the current plan you can play some of the starting content and the epic storyline up to Moria for free, and the landscape up to Moria is free as well.

One of the things the beta is for is to help us determine which parts, if any, of the additional content from SOA should be made free and which should be made purchasable and for how much.

So in other words, no final answer yet, but the beta will help it get finalized!

Meghan
    I should point out that this was posted back in June and she admits this may change. So it might be worth asking if a final decision has been made.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001e8db1/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Quote Originally Posted by greendragoon100 View Post
    Patience posted an answer to this question.

I should point out that this was posted back in June and she admits this may change. So it might be worth asking if a final decision has been made.
    Patience's comment is still accurate.

regarding the new deeds for reputation,
    we will recieve TP after we login to our characters

does that mean if we have multiple characters in one server with multiple completed deeds
    we have to login each one of them in order to earn the TP?

what if its not updated in the store if you login to your character?
    e.g. network problem or dns problem etc

Quote Originally Posted by jhan75 View Post
    regarding the new deeds for reputation,
    we will recieve TP after we login to our characters

does that mean if we have multiple characters in one server with multiple completed deeds
    we have to login each one of them in order to earn the TP?

what if its not updated in the store if you login to your character?
    e.g. network problem or dns problem etc
    You will get spammed as soon as you log in, beware that it could cause lag so best to just sit back and watch the points roll in.

Yes, it will happen for each character since deeds are per character.

No idea on the last part so I would only be able to make an assumption and I know that's not what you are looking for.

Victorie will probably regret giving me permission to send that PM once she reads it.
    R.I.P. Big E

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    You will get spammed as soon as you log in, beware that it could cause lag so best to just sit back and watch the points roll in.

If you have completed alot of rep deeds you may want to log out in a low population area before the change over.

Personally I am going to log all my characters in their homestead to minimize the lag for me and there is a vault there so I can spend all the time I need re-organizing. I will feel really sorry for those who log out in Bree, Thorins or Michel Delving, oh the horror of the lag monster

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast