We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Player: What do I do?

Hello,

My charcter is Malraties on the Gladden server. This is my first time playing. I am a level 7 Hunter, which I thought was a good class to learn the game. I am familiar with other MMors so I am doing ok, just tryng to learn the map and all.

My question is the craft. Is there a certain craft that I should not take while I am learning the game? Can I do cooking and farming as well as a main craft?

Thank you for your time in this.

Malraties
    7 Hunter
    Gladden server

Re: New Player: What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottoreay View Post
    My question is the craft. Is there a certain craft that I should not take while I am learning the game? Can I do cooking and farming as well as a main craft?
    Welcome to LOTRO!

The best crafting proession to take for a new player is Explorer. This will allow you to harvest wood and mine ore which will allow you to sell these items on the Auction House to earn funds.

The profession of Tailor will also come with Explorer which will allow you to make 7 pieces of armor for yourself.

The other profession that would be almost as good is Tinker which gives you Jeweller as you can still mine ores, and can craft seven slots of jewellery for your character.

Other than that there is no profession that is bad.

Good hunting!
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=goldenrod]Aphadrim uin Calad (Followers of Light) Kinship on Elendilmir[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [size=1][URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=249684]AuC Official LOTRO Forum Thread[/URL]
    [COLOR=#0ac92b]Gloriel Ingalad's Elven RP Poems & Stories [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/gloriel/journal/]Here[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#e33638]Tester from SoA Alpha Phase 3 through Update 6 & Founder[/COLOR] ... [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?173114-Along-the-Paths-of-Middle-earth][color=#8deeee]Link to over [b]700[/b] of my quality screenshots[/color][/url][/SIZE]

3. Re: New Player: What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
    Welcome to LOTRO!

The best crafting proession to take for a new player is Explorer. This will allow you to harvest wood and mine ore which will allow you to sell these items on the Auction House to earn funds.

The profession of Tailor will also come with Explorer which will allow you to make 7 pieces of armor for yourself.

The other profession that would be almost as good is Tinker which gives you Jeweller as you can still mine ores, and can craft seven slots of jewellery for your character.

Other than that there is no profession that is bad.

Good hunting!
    I agree with the above advice. These are the two crafts that are closest to self-sufficient.

The only addendum that I would make to this is that if you are really excited about the idea of doing some other craft, you can certainly do so: the road will simply be a little harder.

The tips are a little outdated, but if you click on the Thaingrim the Economist clicky near my name, it will bring you to some general tips on early money making in the game.

Thank you for the info!

Malraties

One last thing to add. If you change your mind about a craft, it's not a big deal--you can switch and start a new one later.

So for example you can start out explorer, but if later on you find you really want to be a jeweler, you can switch to Tinker (and you will keep any levels you gained in prospector since both professions have prospecting as a craft).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jilla View Post
    One last thing to add. If you change your mind about a craft, it's not a big deal--you can switch and start a new one later.

So for example you can start out explorer, but if later on you find you really want to be a jeweler, you can switch to Tinker (and you will keep any levels you gained in prospector since both professions have prospecting as a craft).
    Just to close the loop, here: but, you will perma-lose any points/levels you may have made in Explorer's tailor and forester. And, they cannot be restored if you should decide to switch back.
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=goldenrod]Aphadrim uin Calad (Followers of Light) Kinship on Elendilmir[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [size=1][URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=249684]AuC Official LOTRO Forum Thread[/URL]
    [COLOR=#0ac92b]Gloriel Ingalad's Elven RP Poems & Stories [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/gloriel/journal/]Here[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#e33638]Tester from SoA Alpha Phase 3 through Update 6 & Founder[/COLOR] ... [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?173114-Along-the-Paths-of-Middle-earth][color=#8deeee]Link to over [b]700[/b] of my quality screenshots[/color][/url][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Scottoreay View Post
    Hello,

My charcter is Malraties on the Gladden server. This is my first time playing. I am a level 7 Hunter, which I thought was a good class to learn the game. I am familiar with other MMors so I am doing ok, just tryng to learn the map and all.

Thank you for your time in this.

Malraties
    7 Hunter
    Gladden server
    I personally would avoid metalworking of any sort on my first time in the game. It takes a LOT of ore, and the bottleneck comes when you need ancient iron ingots which take dwarf iron, meaning you need 2 ores that are somewhat aggravating to get in bulk.

Other than that, which is slow and annoying but not a fatal mistake (you can persevere through this issue), all crafting is more or less equal.

However, hunters use leather armors, so tailor makes more sense than metalsmithing (who make plate mail armor), and woodworking (which makes bows and xbows) makes more sense than weaponsmith (who makes swords and such). So use a little bit of common sense if you want to make things you can USE. If you just want to sell stuff for money its all the same (but raw materials are worth the most money so explorer wins the money game).

Consumables are a great choice. I always tell people to make a historian first (farm, scholar, weaponsmith) so you can make your own healing/power/cure potions, buff scrolls, and the like. The next toon I recommend is a tinker, who can use the first guy's farming to cook, can mine ore (to feed the first guy's weaponsmithing), and makes jewelery which makes 7 good pieces of gear for ANY class (unlike armor, or weapons, which some classes use different professions, all classes use jewelery and 7 pieces of gear is a significant amount of your itemization in this game, nearly 1/2 of your gear is bling!).

After you have those 2, then your third or 4th toons can start to worry about armor crafting and weaponmaking.

Also, weapons and armor are popular quest rewards. Consumables to some extent but those rewards are gone fast. Good, usable jewelery is rarely a quest reward.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

One other thing to consider:

As far as the crafting professions go, weaponsmith is the one of the easiest to make money from in the lower tiers. You can make the basic greatswords using only 1 component (letting you get 10 points per 2 ingots) and they sell for 3s or more (depending on the tier). You can vendor these and make a decent amount of money while leveling the craft. On the other hand, a tailor is one of the hardest to make money on in the lower tiers because the items sell for very little. And probably the hardest would be woodworker because of the cost involved in making logs (all that wax cuts into your profit a LOT).

Also, the AH economy isn't like other games. You can't just take those lower tier items and make a bunch and put them on the AH and expect them all to sell. In most cases, those lower tier items either won't sell at all, or will take a long time to sell. They also usually won't sell for more than about 2x their vendor price (if that). A class like a Jeweler can make very useful items that will do better on the AH, but you usually can't put more than 1-2 of any given item on the AH at a time and expect it to sell. With the numbers you have to make to level a tier, you're going to end up vendoring almost everything you make in the first few tiers. Cooking probably does the best in the lower tiers on the AH, but even then, it's not what I'd call "great".

Your best option for income would be to just vendor most of what you make until you are at least up to Expert, except when you can crit something. Critted items (even at Tier 1) sell for a lot of money. Even so, you can't put too many up at once and get them to sell. But if you work on getting a crit on 2 of everything, rather than a bunch of one thing, you can do really well. And, of course, any gathered mats that you don't need/use, you can make a lot of money by auctioning those. Mats do very well on the AH.

If you don't want to level a crafting profession, something like Explorer lets you just get a ton of mats to auction and that's the fastest way to make money. By not doing the tailor part of Explorer, you have a lot of mats to sell -- ore, gems, wood, hides, and crit items (such as flax fibers and whetstones). Also, remember that you can get more money from unprocessed mats (ore instead of ingots, logs instead of planks, hides instead of leather), but they may not sell as quickly.

And once you're up to Master or higher, you can really start making some decent money from all professions.

All of that said, money in the game isn't really that important. It's easy to make money without even trying very hard. You would probably enjoy the professions more if you choose something you enjoy doing or that is useful to you rather than worrying about how much you can make from it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000310eff/01007/signature.png]Avanthos[/charsig]
    AMD Althon II X3 435 [color=red]|[/color] 2GB DDR3 PC1033 RAM [color=red]|[/color] 1GB GeForce 220 [color=red]|[/color] Windows 7 [color=red]|[/color] 2TB Hard Disk Space [color=red]|[/color] 7mbit Cable

Just to throw in another idea. Farmer/cook
    Even tier 1 vegetables will move at the auction house if its money you are interested in. Low level food not so much. A stack of in-demand tier 1 veggies will go for between 50 and 100 silver. A farmer can attain supreme master level without leaving the shire because there are no quests to advance in farming, and once past tier 2 or 3 veggies sell regularly for 100/stack. I will warn you though, farming takes time, it that is an issue this may not be the profession for you.
    The cook will require some questing and may not make much money until you reach the level 60 foods but some of the lower items will sell. Non-farmed ingredients can be costly though so advancing cooking may be dependant on your sales of veggies. I do not recommend the cooking skill unless you or your soul mate (if you have one) is a farmer.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000bc65f/01001/signature.png]Shumgrin[/charsig]
    Shumgrin Guard/explorer Bookman, LM/Scholar; Phetchit, Gelt, and others:
    All that is required for evil to succeed is for good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Apot View Post
    A farmer can attain supreme master level without leaving the shire because there are no quests to advance in farming,

A word of warning... once F2P starts, all gathering professions will also have quests just like the crafting professions, so you won't be able to do this. If you plan to level a farmer (or any gatherer for that matter), you may want to do so before F2P starts.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000310eff/01007/signature.png]Avanthos[/charsig]
    AMD Althon II X3 435 [color=red]|[/color] 2GB DDR3 PC1033 RAM [color=red]|[/color] 1GB GeForce 220 [color=red]|[/color] Windows 7 [color=red]|[/color] 2TB Hard Disk Space [color=red]|[/color] 7mbit Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Riamus View Post
    A word of warning... once F2P starts, all gathering professions will also have quests just like the crafting professions, so you won't be able to do this. If you plan to level a farmer (or any gatherer for that matter), you may want to do so before F2P starts.
    Well, that's a little too strong a recommendation IMO. The leveling quests for harvesting crafts in beta are similar to t6 unlocks ones: when you cap a tier every supplier in the game gets a quest ring over his/her head. Accept the quest, read the book that drops into your inventory, then talk to the supplier again to complete the unlock. It's free, and just takes a few seconds.

The biggest inconveniences are that you'll want to process hides/ore/seeds near a supplier, and avoid queuing a such a huge number for your AFK processing that you cap the tier and lose crafting XP.

I'll throw some comments in.

In LOTRO, you choose a crafting "vocation". Each vocation actually has three crafts. You do not get to pick the individual crafts, you pick a vocation from a fixed list and you get the three crafts that are part of that vocation. You cannot change the crafts that are in each vocation, but you can change which vocation you have.

Most vocations have two crafts that combine together well, and one more craft that needs help from a different character. For example, "Armorer" is a vocation that has the crafts Prospector, Metalsmith and Tailor.

Prospector collects metal ore from the landscape and processes it into ingots.
    Metalsmith uses those ingots to make heavy armor, shields, crafting tools and other items.
    Tailor makes light and medium armor but needs leather to make both types of armor. Tailors cannot make their own leather and it cannot be bought from NPC's. Tailors need to get the leather from another character.

Three crafts, two of them combine together, one needs outside help. Almost all craft vocations are structured like this.

Explorer is a good vocation to start with since you can collect crafting materials and sell them to make money. You can collect metal as a Prospector, you can collect wood as a Forester and you can make leather from animal hides as a Forester as well. Tailor needs leather, Forester makes leather. Since the Explorer vocation has both of those crafts, you're all set to make to make all the light and medium armor you need. Since you're a Hunter, you will be using medium armor, which you can make yourself. It all combines together rather nicely.

Also, Hunter is a good class choice for gathering animal hides. They learn tracking skills that let them find animals more easily, they learn a fast run speed buff that lets them move around the landscape faster than most other character classes. They can set traps to help deal with strong creatures. Hunter - Explorer is a very good gombination to start with.

Here is a list of all the craft vocations, and what their crafts are.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Vocation
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Actually, the quests will take the form of "here, read this book and talk to me again".