We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Ford of Bruinen Skrimsh help

I'm frustrated with this particular skirmish. Everyone tells me how easy it is. I do it, and I die. Almost every time.

USUALLY I do ok, until the last two bosses. Then, unless I just stand there, both of them chase me around until I die, even if I don't actually attack both of them. Yes, I'm careful of my aoe. None of my allies hold ANY aggro at all. I never even touched one of the bosses, and he was chasing me around, and even after he got hit, he was STILL chasing me around. Dead.

So should I just stand there and watch them fight, hoping neither one dies (they have died on me before). Or what should I be doing? I can't fear them, and I can't get them to leave me alone.

I'm a 57 minstrel, with a warrior side kick. He's not quite up to my level yet. I just started skirmishing at 55. I took a long break from this guy. I don't have problems with the other defensive skirmishes, though, which is what I'm sticking to until he levels up some more.

Re: Ford of Bruinen Skrimsh help

In the end fight, I do one of two things. If I am lucky and get a lot of crits, I stay in warspeech and fight. If things go poorly, I drop warspeech and heal the NPCs and my warrior.

I am not sure what you mean by chasing you around dead, but the key to the fight are those waves in the water. You need to drag the troll to the waves. That will make him easier to kill (and I think knocks off some of his morale too). Let the NPCs and your warrior fight the main boss while you take care of the troll. Once the troll is down, the other boss is easier to kill. You will want the troll to chase you so you can get that wave to hit him.

I hope this helps... good luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!

IIRC, the troll needs to be touched by the wave before you can do any thing about him, but once that happens you can actually fear him while working on the Uruk with the NPCs.

P.S. However, I'm not sure Why you're being chased around the way you described; afaik they don't have any special mechanism/Ai to not Allow them to be aggroed by the brothers.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

There is a skill the Uruk uses which forces the troll to attack the target for 10 seconds or so. You get a little eyeball over you when it hits.

I'm not sure what triggers it or if he randomly dishes it out.

On other classes I thought you could fear the troll even when he was invulnerable.

"There are many powers in the world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. "

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetMeasured View Post
    On other classes I thought you could fear the troll even when he was invulnerable.

I've tried Mins Fear, hunter fear, LM stun and none of them worked (afaik/iirc) unless he's waved at.

Thanks for all the useful input. I kinda think the first post hit what I should have done to begin with. Drop out of Warspeech, and heal. I NEVER get lucky with crits. I'm lucky I don't miss completely 4 times in a row.

I get chased until I'm dead is all I meant in the first post. Once I'm dead, I drop all aggro, rez and go at it again, but dying still stinks, and I think it takes away from my Marks, as well as hurting my armor.

I know about the shields around him. The past couple times I've done it, I've been lucky with that, and he's been hit in either the first or second wave, without me having to do anything special.

I kinda wondered what that mark over my head was, too. I never had time to figure out what it was. I was too busy running for my life. Any way to NOT get that mark? The smaller of the two bosses has some sorta ranged attack, too. He was clobbering me and I wasn't even close to him.

I squish too fast, and it's just frustrating for me, so I wind up going back to my captain.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenasp View Post
    The smaller of the two bosses has some sorta ranged attack, too. He was clobbering me and I wasn't even close to him.
    The big one I can think of for him is something like a fire DoT AOE at range. It has a pretty big visual effect, and I don't *think* it moves so when you get it you might be able to run away, although if you were doing that already maybe that's not the problem.

This skirmish does have one of the harder boss-fight-to-regular-wave difficulty ratios.

A tip for the horse-waves: you actually want to get troll aggro and run up to the north end of the ford where it is more narrow. The troll is more likely to get hit there.

"There are many powers in the world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. "

Quote Originally Posted by JeanCarlo View Post
    I've tried Mins Fear, hunter fear, LM stun and none of them worked (afaik/iirc) unless he's waved at.
    Just played it tonight and Bard's Arrow works on the troll right off the bat. I actually couldn't get aggro back for a while so after missing him with a few waves I ended up killing the Uruk first.

Now, I think a wave comes in very early so it's possible it hit the troll before the fight even started, but I am pretty sure he had the invulnerability up at the time I feared him. I can try again and pay closer attention to his HP numbers.

Just played it tonight and Bard's Arrow works on the troll right off the bat. I actually couldn't get aggro back for a while so after missing him with a few waves I ended up killing the Uruk first.

Now, I think a wave comes in very early so it's possible it hit the troll before the fight even started, but I am pretty sure he had the invulnerability up at the time I feared him. I can try again and pay closer attention to his HP numbers.

See, that's interesting. I don't think I have ever managed to get Bard's to work on him, and I have tried.
    Most times, I get my protector to aggro on the Uruk, then get the troll into the waves asap. Once his protection buff is off he dies pretty quick, I've found. I guess the only suggestion I can offer the OP is to get that buff off asap, and kite while you have the red eye above your head. Then see if you can't get your soldier to get aggro from the troll.

I did have one experience a couple of weeks ago which was really odd. Got the Uruk down really fast, but could not get the troll to go in the waves. And then the troll decided to aggro one of the brothers. And a comedy of errors ensued, with them just running all around the place, and the waves missing every single time. After about 10 minutes I'd had enough, so I left the instance.
    Did the skirmish join again, went back in, and they were still running around. Fortunately his buff was off then (I don't know why) so killed him and finished. It was all a bit strange though that the instance was still as I had left it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aad21/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[QUOTE=hamle;4909814]See, that's interesting. I don't think I have ever managed to get Bard's to work on him, and I have tried. QUOTE]

I'm guessing the fear component of your Bard's Arrow isn't working because it is tied to a damage attack that is being ignored due to the invulnerability. A minstrel's fear has no damage component so isn't blocked by the invulnerability. As a comparison check, does your Bard's Arrow work on Daywalker Berserkers? Minstrel fear sends them packing like a charm.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hamle View Post
    See, that's interesting. I don't think I have ever managed to get Bard's to work on him, and I have tried.
    I'm guessing the fear component of your Bard's Arrow isn't working because it is tied to a damage attack that is being ignored due to the invulnerability. A minstrel's fear has no damage component so isn't blocked by the invulnerability. As a comparison check, does your Bard's Arrow work on Daywalker Berserkers? Minstrel fear sends them packing like a charm.
    Yup, standard tactic with the Berserkers is let them pop their shield, Bards, take down trash. Once the fear wears off their shield is down too and it's a party!

I did Bruinen again yesterday, the troll takes a huge amount of damage when he gets hit by the waves. I didn't try fearing him cos he got hit by the first wave (again!) The first wave always, for me at least, comes across the centre little rock in the middle of the river. I stay standing on that rock and the troll seems to cop the wave every time lately.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aad21/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hmmm I'll definitely try to duplicate that; to be honest I usually just wait until a wave hits the troll ever since I found out that BA was useless pre-wave.

I have no advice beyond what others have said, but i may have an explanation: iirc, the last update we got added a mechanic to prevent the brothers healing from holding aggro over you while the troll is invulnerable. I remember it being something like an aggro wipe on the brothers, so that may be why you can't lose aggro.

IIRC the troll always comes out of the left side seige tower, so postion yourself over there before he comes out and quickly hit him with any attack to get aggro, as long as it DOESN'T slow, mez or stun the troll. Then immediately after you attack him, run directly to the oppsite side of the river from where the troll comes out.

He will chase you into the middle of the river and always get hit with the first wave that comes down the river. Then just Kite the troll over to where the NPCs are fighting the other boss and start your AOE chain and start thinking about what you are going to spend the skirmish marks on.
    Last edited by Sarad; Aug 22 2010 at 12:56 AM.
    Gladden - Jezidall lvl 65 Guardian SM Metalsmith, Kin Leader Ars Erthad
    Sarad lvl 65 Minstrel Rank 6, SM Tailor
    Isadall lvl 65 Burglar Rank 6, SM Jeweller/ Annadall lvl65 LM, SM Scholar
    Geoffren lvl 65 Captain, SM Tailor/ Miradall lvl 65 Warden, SM Cook

I'm sure you got it already but I do solo skirms with an herbalist and stay in WS unless needed. The troll needs to get hit by the wave to knock the shield off. He can then be pulvarized. The last time I did this the uruk stayed on the Elf brothers until I started on him.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000b9e4a/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    ~ If you get up one more time than you fall you will make it through ~
    "These things I say unto you. In Me you will find peace. The world will bring you tribulations but be of good cheer; for I have overcome the world."