We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    yepp, this is the real cap, I saw people in the chat talking about swapping gold between characters, because one of their toons couldn't earn more gold than 9999g,999s,99c.

I would assume they are using a 32bit int and store money as total copper. Since there is 100000 copper in one gold the theoretical limit would be 42949 or 21474 if a signed 32. It is obvious then that 9999 would be the cap unless they change to a 64 bit. It still would not ever be unlimited just really big.
    Welleg , Kelleg, and Gelleg - Crickhollow
    WARNING: leveling a warden may cause you to neglect your other characters.

I would like to say --- that the cap is indeed 9999 gold 999 silver 99 copper --

It is possible it has been changed. It is a little possible I had not gathered it all together back when I was so sure I had. Was when the level cap was still 65 and a kinnie was talking about he wanted to try and hit 10000 gold and I said I probably had that spread over all my toons if I gathered it up. I do have a couple accounts so maybe I didn't completely consolidate it but rather gathered it up on two different toons to see how much it was. I felt like I'd given it all to my hunter on account 2 and had like 11000 + gold.

Any way. Right now I just took a toon to 9999 467 99 and then gave him another gold piece and it went to 9999 999 99 and I gave him one more and it staid at 9999 999 99. No msg about overflow no nothing. Glade I took the precaution of taking him to 9999 gold then just giving 1 gold. I was so sure it was over 10k I almost just gave him enough to shoot him to 13k+. LOL would have been a hec of a waste of 3000 gold.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by aradaneth View Post
    My guess? 18,446,744,073,709,551,615
    I'm almost there!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

/ end delusional episode
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001e93fa/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Danchir View Post
    The mindless grind of gold makes, imo, little sense in the game. Practically, the gold is nothing more than the means to buy new skills, take stable's travel, repair, and re-trait. Maybe buy a house, once.
    I couldn't agree more. I like to have enough to be comfortable and sometimes I go a-grindin' if I need gold for something, but generally my character's wealth is a bi-product of playing. I've set myself basic goals, based on my expectations for how much I will need to not be broke, but they don't involve hitting the cap. I imagine that will happen by itself at some point in the distant future and I see no point in spending all my time working.

One thing that really irked me about playing WoW was the culture of "get to max level as quickly as possible and accumulate as much gold as possible." It was so entrenched that if you weren't doing it you practically got nowhere. Here is the big difference between the two games: When I hit max level in WoW, I had 1,500 gold. Useless. Absolutely useless. Considering my weapon cost 5,000 gold, you can see how stifling it was. I anticipate having 1,500 to 2,000 by the time I hit max level in LOTRO. Probably more than enough to be in a good position, certainly not poor, at least not by Dwarrodelf standards. My character currently has 170g at level 49 and will likely have 200g by the time he sets foot in Moria, maybe a touch over. My the standards of my server, that's fairly well off.

I was absent from the game for 18 months and came back to find prices hadn't shifted. Inflation seems to happen at different speeds on different servers. I think I lucked out with mine.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Having extra gold is nice when you decide to do something like start/fund an event or you do raffles and giveaways.

I don't buy my crafting items, I'll earn them, when I'm working on my crafting tiers. But if I need items to make dye or jewelry or armor for a giveaway of an event I want to donate to (Gladden's Riddle Race for example), I'll buy up some stuff even if it's overpriced to save me time in that regards.

I don't need max gold, but I do want more than I'll ever actually need for myself.
    Tolella Hlothran ~ Minstrel ~ 115
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    I think the current cap is too low : if you farm a lot (for HL recipes for example, 40S per 85 mob + all stuff you can sell at AH), you reach quickly the cap, even by transferring gold to other characters, when you have 10K on one.
    40s per mob ... how quickly do you kill 500'000 mobs to get 20k gold? That only works in large player groups which is a exploit and instances have been altered to prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    40s per mob ... how quickly do you kill 500'000 mobs to get 20k gold? That only works in large player groups which is a exploit and instances have been altered to prevent that.
    exploit or not there have been 1 or more 24 man raids farming none stop on brandywine for ... well not sure how long. I went to the beach for 2 weeks and when I got back glff was full of it none stop. Been back a couple weeks now.

Personally I have not participated - well ok, for an hour once to see what was going on. Just extreme boredom and or laziness. 24 people in a raid with 3-6 people killing and the rest just off taking a shower or what not. I guess if you are willing to just hang there all day and all night you will amass a ton of gold. But in no way does it equate with playing the game.

I've been suggesting ever since the change that allowed everyone to get individual loot off a kill instead of having that kill divided between all that turbine code it so that Landscape mobs don't drop loot to a raid. Would be possible I'd think. I mean they already have coding in place that does not allow a person in a raid to complete a group quest. So there is coding that recognizes being in a raid as different and treats a person in a raid differently.

Sadly it is too late. Well it is never too late. But the mess that an influx and 100's of thousands of gold does is done. Still the places these people converge on become unplayable in any normal way.

a friend of mine told me he hit cap at 9999 gold and change. i htink he did not actually stop receiving gold tho. it went in an overflow. now i have not reached that yet.. still a few k away so i can not 100% verify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    You don't need to kill 500 000 mobs.
    I sold several HL recipes around 800G each + 10-15G tons of stacks of 100 items like Sealed Wax for example

Quote Originally Posted by Gandie2 View Post
    I've been suggesting ever since the change that allowed everyone to get individual loot off a kill instead of having that kill divided between all that turbine code it so that Landscape mobs don't drop loot to a raid. Would be possible I'd think. I mean they already have coding in place that does not allow a person in a raid to complete a group quest. So there is coding that recognizes being in a raid as different and treats a person in a raid differently.
    I think it would be more fun if the mob dropped for up to 6 people from the same group/raid in the area who are chosen randomly :P

Btw, the coding that prevents finishing no-raid-quests in a raid has been removed, since it had been exploited as well (envelope quest for example). Now we have a code that prevents finishing quests while in combat, that was introduced also because of a exploit even if I can't think of any way how turning in a quest while in combat could be exploited, but in the end it does not matter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4