We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Focus bow? Induction bow?

What are they? I see there are focus bow and induction bow legacies but I have absolutely no idea what they actually do for my bow.

Thanks!

6 Waterbank Road, Menellant, Falathlorn, Meneldor

Re: Focus bow? Induction bow?

Focus bow = these effect skills which use focus to fire. (like Penetrating shot)

Induction bow = these effect skills which use an induction to fire. (Like Swift bow)
    [CENTER]Whitestar Rangers : Meneldor : 7
    Four Horse men of the aPUGalypse : Landroval : 6
    And First of All, [B]Badfinn[/B] : Meneldor : One of the Few Remaining Male Weavers.[/CENTER]

best rule of thumb I can suggest is to hover over each skill and see if there is a focus cost. If so, its a focus based skill. The rest are induction skills.

Ideally you want both legacies, but there are 6 total just for the two types:

-Reduced power cost (x2)
    -increased crit chance (x2)
    -threat reduction (x2)

So the chances of getting all 6 plus the barbed arrow leg... well that would be a 200 gold bow if you ever found it

Most folks want the 2 crit multipliers first and the power reduction second.

It means we're too awesome to have legacies that effect all our skills at once!

--
    Or what the above poster said.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by hucklebarry View Post
    best rule of thumb I can suggest is to hover over each skill and see if there is a focus cost. If so, its a focus based skill. The rest are induction skills.

Ideally you want both legacies, but there are 6 total just for the two types:

-Reduced power cost (x2)
    -increased crit chance (x2)
    -threat reduction (x2)

So the chances of getting all 6 plus the barbed arrow leg... well that would be a 200 gold bow if you ever found it

Most folks want the 2 crit multipliers first and the power reduction second.
    What do you mean? 6 total of what?

Currently i can increase DPS, Induction Bow Critical Multiplier, Induction Power Cost, Merciful Shot Cooldown and Barbed Arrow Speed.

Which of those should i spend on?

frankly it depends on how you play and what you fight. i solo and mainly pve with standard quests. i dont use the power save legacies. i only have my 3rd age crafted bow & club. crit for induction/focus, quick shot crit chance. i trait 4b/3r and run 5 huntsman from hybolt.
    eons ago before 65 iirc i had a 2 crit 2 cost bow that i used on raids
    Burn the books!

The 6 legacies he listed.

The crit legacies are critical MAGNITUDE, not chance.

It barely matters what you spend points on until you hit cap, and even then it's just minmaxing. Spend on what looks good (hint: crit mag is good).
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

90% of Hunters who have any clue what they are doing aim for the following 3 legacies:

+ Induction Bow Crit Multiplier
    + Focus Bow Crit Multiplier
    + Barbed Arrow Bleed Damage

Most hunters then complement it with the - power cost legacies increase the amount of time they can sustain their damage.

Some hunters also realize the benefit of the threat down, especially those that are decked out and do some massive DPS, the threat down legacies are mostly useless for people who are starting out as their DPS output won't be great without top end gear, and a decent rotation.

The other hunter legacies all have uses, some more specialized then others... +% Quick Shot slow is extremely useful in the moors for instance.

Induction Bow skills are any bow skill that has an induction (little bar that fill sup before the skill goes off) such as swift arrow, quick shot, barbed arrow, heart-seeker...

Focus Bow skills are bow skills that don't have an induction, but instead require focus to use (the little bar around your in combat toggle) such as Penetrating Shot and Merciful Shot.

So the +Crit Multiplier means that when one of the skills for that set crits, it does +25% damage.

The reason these are seperated for legacies is to force hunter's to choose which is more important to them between the power, extra damage, and threat down vs some of the other legacies.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    Yeah its too bad they cant be lumped into just +Crit/ -Power / -Threat no matter what type of skill it is. It would seriously reduce the amount of legacies we need and could cap more majors.

I'm sure many have asked for this before, without actually knowing, but has Turbine said why they seperate focus and induction skill legacies? Is any other profession's legacies like this?

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post

--
    Or what the above poster said.
    I got excited for about five seconds that Hat was back, then I realized this thread was from 2010. Now I haz a sad.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    90% of Hunters who have any clue what they are doing aim for the following 3 legacies:

+ Induction Bow Crit Multiplier
    + Focus Bow Crit Multiplier
    + Barbed Arrow Bleed
    Meh. Barbed arrow bleed is not too helpful. Quick shot critical chance is much more useful. And most of the remaining slots are best utilized by stat legacies, such as agility, vitality, and maybe fate. Most of our minor legacies are geared toward survivability, not DPS.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001d66e0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

From personal experience there are 3 golden rules for Hunters, in the following order of importance:-
    1. Maximise DPS
    2. Maximise Morale
    3. Maximise physical damage mitigation
    This is especially true for Hunters who prefer to solo. The above is based on the old saying that the best defence is a strong offence. The more damage you do, the quicker your enemy falls. This means you're also saving power because the more damage you do, the fewer hits you'll need to down the enemy.
    After damage has been maximised, concentrate on increasing your Morale and physical damage mitigation. This will allow you to survive longer in battle. Increase in-combat morale regeneration whenever possible also, but never at the expense of the 3 points above!
    A combination of virtues and armour will mostly enable you to improve points 1 and 2, but you can use legendary settings also to increase morale. The DPS will mostly come from getting the best weapons you can afford as well as armour that improve your stats that increase your ranged damage, mostly Agility. If possible increase Agility by selecting the right combination of virtues. It's a bit of a juggling act to improve DPS, Morale and damage mitigation without sacrificing something else, but it is possible. A last word... make sure you know the best melee strikes to follow on after ranged strikes. A good Hunter will finish off the enemy before it has a chance to get into melee range, however, there are occasions when it's not possible (limited range, surprise attacks etc.). It is on these occasions when knowing the best melee strike to use will enable you to survive.
    Don't worry about threat generation too much. Most of the time you'll probably be soloing so improving legacies that reduce threat are of little importance. Maybe consider having a second bow that has improved threat-reducing legacies for use when in a fellowship.
    Last edited by Kerr_Avon; Mar 15 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Don't worry about threat generation too much. Most of the time you'll probably be soloing so improving legacies that reduce threat are of little importance. Maybe consider having a second bow that has improved threat-reducing legacies for use when in a fellowship.
    Right off I'll say there are no "right" answers to the question of best bow build, so you're not wrong. But I see it different and build accordingly. The counter to your point about not needing threat reduction when you mostly solo (which has obvious merit) is that you don't really need uber extra damage output when soloing PvE either. A half-way smart pull strategy and good use of skills will massacre pretty much all PvE mobs you come across regardless of your bow legacies.

So in my case I use both threat reduction legacies, and I don't feel like they are wasted space. I also group a lot with my kin and in PUGs, even though I'm not a hardcore raider, and in groups your job as a Hunter is 1) hurt stuff bad,and 2) manage your aggro. In that order. Threat reduction legacies help with that. When grouped I usually equip the Whisper Draw book and shoot from Endurance stance (which makes power management a breeze even without power reduction legacies), and that combined with the threat-down legacies = I virtually never pull a mob off the tank.

One could, as you suggest, create 2 specialized bows. But that is a lot of work. An alternative is to build a bow with damage and threat reduction as the main goals, knowing it will work well whether you're grouped or not. And in my case I'm lucky enough to h ave a 1st Age bow, so I don't want to swap it out . But I used the same strategy with my 2nd ager as well.