We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LOTRO vs DDO???

LOTRO vs DDO???

Hello! I'm a new LOTRO subscriber and am really into it. I used to play d&d 'back in the day' so with it being f2p, I am considering downloading it. My question is not which is better, but what are the fundemental gameplay differences between LOTRO and DDO? Do more people group in DDO or solo? Are there guilds in DDO? etc. etc.

Thanks in advance! This community is awesome and I'm sure your replies will help me (and probably others) decide whether or not to try DDO.

Re: LOTRO vs DDO???

Hi there. I recently tried DDO for about 5 weeks so here are my thoughts.

Learning curve – You have a DnD background so this probably isn’t as relevant, but I found the mechanics pretty steep to learn. And as many of the choices are permanent, it seemed to be pretty easy to build a character that is gimped and can’t be fixed without re-rolling. I was blindly following the class builds on the forums (thank goodness to those who posted them!), which I did not find fun. You probably won’t have that problem.

Solo, to a point – I’m in a time zone which doesn’t mesh well with the US or Australia, so I’m heavily dependent on solo play. They have a casual option on each dungeon and hirelings which allowed me to get to level 12 (as a cleric 11, fighter 1 build) but at that point I hit a brick wall and cancelled the subscription. It was pretty painful. I would strongly advise you treat the game as being group orientated.

Other random thoughts:

• They have guilds (and guild ships!)

• UI is less polished than LoTRO. Very weak auction house search. Can’t search for players by guild name. I had problems with the quest panel going blank and tooltips vanishing too quickly. Map goes black each time you re-enter a previously explored wilderness area.

• The dungeons are very varied. Puzzles and traps are common, some of them are brutal (three barrel cove puzzles for instance).

• Different mechanics to most MMO’s. There is no XP or loot from mobs. You get the XP from completing the dungeon and the loot is from chests. I found I would clear a dungeon all the way to the boss, then be unable to kill the boss (i.e. whisperdoom) which means you’ve no XP or loot to show for the last hour you spent. A group would obviously (hopefully) not have this problem.

• You have a limited pool of mana which can only be recharged by finding a shrine in the dungeon. There is NO out of combat health or mana regeneration (ignoring clerics devine arua). This introduces an element of strategy as mana become a resource you must manage effectively. The downside I found is that my cleric never cast offensive spells, it was more efficient at lower levels to just hold down the left mouse button which swings your sword back and forth. I found the fights boring and preferred my classes in LoTRO.

• Combat mechanics: Mobs and NPC’s are solid (can’t run through them) so you can use some strategy in your fights. You can also dodge arrows and other projectiles (wish we had that in LoTRO instead of things following you around corners).

• There is no larger world to explore. There is a marketplace and harbour and everything else is an instance you enter.

• They do backups every night in Oceanic time, so the game turns to molasses every night. It drove me bonkers. However that shouldn’t affect you in your time zone.

• They don’t have cosmetic armour slots which I missed from LoTRO.

The above seems pretty negative because the game was a very poor fit for me. However, given your time zone and DnD background, my advice would be – try it!!!
    It’s a free download, you’ve nothing to lose really! And you might love it.

Hope that helped and safe travels.
    [COLOR=orange][SIZE=1]~ 65 Minstrel ~ 65 Burglar ~ 65 Champion ~[/COLOR]

Will Washer says "Arggh! My arm!"
    Will Washer says "My spleen!"[/SIZE]

Read and do some homework before you roll a character.

I tried my usual ranged DPS class and changed to a Paladin after a while. My Rogue and Ranger couldn't stay in the field very long.

Everything is gated, you go into an area via a portal, do your thing and come back to the city/hub. There are some big outdoor areas, DGMW, but there are a ton of "Go get the spiders out of my warehouse" quests.

It is faction based, you work for the man most of the time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001140ed/01007/signature.png]Intombi[/charsig]

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

It seems DDO plays closer to the pen and paper daddy than a 'traditional' mmo would. That interests me because I don't think I can manage another LOTRO. Although, I WILL be getting SWTOR (whenever that ships)...

Until then, I think I will DL DDO and hopefully find a nice little diversion in it.

Random side story for whatever reason: D&D got me into LOTR. A few years before reading The Hobbit, I ventured into a bookstore (age.. uh.. 12ish) and walked out with the first book in the The Elven Nations Trilogy. Now almost 20 years later, LOTRO is bringing me into DDO. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by realmagicmike View Post
    Hello! I'm a new LOTRO subscriber and am really into it. I used to play d&d 'back in the day' so with it being f2p, I am considering downloading it. My question is not which is better, but what are the fundemental gameplay differences between LOTRO and DDO? Do more people group in DDO or solo? Are there guilds in DDO? etc. etc.

Thanks in advance! This community is awesome and I'm sure your replies will help me (and probably others) decide whether or not to try DDO.

Gameplay difference.

DDO is closer to a FPS then a "conventionnal" mmo like lotro, wow, warhammer, EQ, etc.. Also all the quests are instanced and have 4 or 5 level of difficulty (casual, normal, hard, elite, epic).

Also you have the freedom to customize your character the way you like. Though not all the build are good. If you aren't used to the system, i greatly suggest to use the premade build, even if they aren't the strongest they are quite decent. Some error are correctable, though i strongly suggest to "build" your toon before rolling it to prevent errors. DnD 3.5 knowledge is an asset.

Guild ?

Yes there are guilds.

Solo/Group

Depend how good you understand the game and how to apply its mechanic you can solo DDO quite well. You may also solo elite content at level if you have enough experience. Though I prefer to group up, even if it ends with the scared pug.

Pug

Well it ain't that bad (i would say 15% of the time I got one). And don't fear to drop it if it failing, your time is precious and some people just don't get it.. Other pug will be awesome, also the "vets" tend to hang with "vets" and knows who are good gamer and who are sucky.

Goodies

- Bows Sucks
    - Arcane archer suck even more.
    - CON is not a dump stats (try to have at least 14 - or 12 if 14 isn't possible).
    - Min/Max is usually the way to go for build
    - "Tank" mean anything that melee (i believe its ridicule).
    - As Magic-User you have to learn to manage your resource as your spell-point doesn't regenerate until rest.
    - Thoughness is a great feat
    - <insert other stuff there>
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv105, Gladden

Polvere's post was pretty much spot on, however...

You can solo to 20 just fine, depending on class and build.

There's not much "world" to speak of -- the game is heavily instanced. As Polvere mentioned, there are central hubs with a bajillion dungeons that you enter or are teleported to. There are a few outdoor "slayer zones," but these too are instanced. I only repeat what he said to stress how different that is from most MMOs.

The game excels in it's combat system, which feels much more twitchy and fast-paced than standard MMOs, which are plodding by comparison.

When you first create a character, DO NOT choose a template. They're terrible. Customize your character. And... your first character is bound to be a mess. Nearly everyone rerolls around level 8 or so when the finally figure out how the system works (it's different enough from 3.5 to throw you even if you're an old 3.5 player).

Since it's free, there's no reason not to try it. (Around level 10 or so the free content dries up and you'll want to spend a few bucks on adventure packs, however.) I personally find it a great game to duck into every once in awhile.

Oh, and the forums there are great.
    [center]Easric (74 Warden) | Caledhir (75 Guardian) | Pennie (55 Minstrel) | Jaume (67 Hunter)
    ~/ Silverlode /~[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Polvere View Post
    Learning curve – You have a DnD background so this probably isn’t as relevant, but I found the mechanics pretty steep to learn.
    This is D&D 3.5 rules, which is a big learning curve for someone who played D&D "back in the day". It's a completely different game from D&D or AD&D, or even D&D version 2. (not a fan of D&D in general, but the 3.5 rule set ruins what I did like about it which was the simplicity)

D&D Online is very much a mini-max sort of game. At high level it makes a big difference how well you built your character along the way. Some players plan it all out starting during character creation. LotRO is much more casual, you don't need to get everything tweaked out perfectly. Bad builds can be fixed in LotRO, not so much in DDO without restarting or reincarnating.

In DDO some classes are very easy to solo with and some are very difficult and definitely for "experts only". This is not really the case with LOTRO, where any class is soloable.

DDO is highly instanced. Most quests take place in dungeons, and most of those from mid level on I think will require groups to go with you. There aren't tons of these dungeons, so it is very common to repeat them several times in order to get enough levels for the next set of dungeons you want to do. LOTRO has a lot more open world areas to explore and not so many "dungeons". LOTRO also lets you solo all the way to max level without much trouble.

DDO is awesome but different
    90 % of the things you do are instances
    and u really enjoy the game playing in groups
    you can solo but: its not a great way and you always have someone to play with so its not like those games that you have to wait an hour for a group
    at the same time groups are not so "strategic" , sometimes is a group of people wanting to do something (just like in lotro, sometimes u find only dps to do a dungeon :-)

In ddo crafting is not the same as in other games and gear is less easy to understand
    I think that lotro+ddo both F2P is a good union.

Yeah, I'm definately going to download it and try it one of these days based on the feedback I received here. With the new rules and difficulty you guys mentioned, would it be beneficial for me to get a current D&D rulebook to study? Or would that knowledge not help with DDO at all?

No, no need. Just download it the same way as in Lotro and play it.
    The main difference between LOTRO and DDO is that DDO is more like FPS so for example if u are a fighter you will not have lot of problems fighting but if u are a ranger or a wizard you have to be more precise because when u shoot or cast a spell it has direction and goes to a target that u have to aim (its not like in LOTRO that u select a target and press a button).

DDO is the perfect MMORPG to play with a PlayStation pad. There are several tools to do it and you will enjoy it a lot.

Another difference (but if u know dd rules it not something new) is that not all gear attributes stacks like in other games so a sword with +3 strength and an amulet with +1 strength is not +4 strength :-) That makes u more strategic with the thing u have to use.

Yeah, I'm definately going to download it and try it one of these days based on the feedback I received here. With the new rules and difficulty you guys mentioned, would it be beneficial for me to get a current D&D rulebook to study? Or would that knowledge not help with DDO at all?
    The D&D manual would help but not by a lot since so much had to be changed to make it a fun mmo, things like starting off with more health so you can't get one-shot by some lvl 1 peon that uses a weapon dealing more damage than you have health, or the amount of spells you can cast before having to rest, etc.

You would be better off downloading and reading the actual DDO game manual linked here, http://www.ddo.com/ddogameinfo/manual

It is easy to read, has screenshots showing the details being discussed, and takes into account the differences between original D&D and the DDO game.
    New Player? Check out this chart for Quest Pack access for different accounts/purchases. [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427692-LotRO-Account-Quest-Pack-Access-Chart&p=5778210#post5778210[/URL]

German version here: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?429055-HdRO-chart[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000179b7/signature.png]Kualo[/charsig]

Nah, just go here: http://ddowiki.com/

That and their forums will get you everything you need.
    [center]Easric (74 Warden) | Caledhir (75 Guardian) | Pennie (55 Minstrel) | Jaume (67 Hunter)

Quote Originally Posted by ddaedelus View Post
    Polvere's post was pretty much spot on, however...

You can solo to 20 just fine, depending on class and build.
    Heheh, well I gave DDO another shot and found that I am unable to complete any of the current quests on my lvl 12 character, even on casual mode! Definately out of my pay grade, my hat's off to those who can solo to the cap in that game!

Heheh, well I gave DDO another shot and found that I am unable to complete any of the current quests on my lvl 12 character, even on casual mode! Definately out of my pay grade, my hat's off to those who can solo to the cap in that game!
    12-ish is a rough range for soloing, I admit. The content for that level range is sparse even as a VIP, so you're forced to run quests which are lower (and not as rewarding) or higher (and much more difficult) in level. Also, the quest/dungeon design takes a huge turn around that level. The dungeons become much longer and much more complicated. Several involve clever "tricks" to get through (at least as a soloer).

Also, I played a paladin, which is one of the easiest classes for soloing (especially with a cleric hireling) and spent a lot of time grinding in the Orchard (a zone tailor made for HotD paladins) until level 14 or so when more options open up. A straight rogue, just as an example, would have a much harder time of it (I'm not sure I'd even want to try that). D&D classes were never very balanced, no more so in DDO.

So, no, it isn't easy by any stretch. You have to tailor your character to it, and even then occasionally your options become a little limited so that you risk boredom. But it is possible.

LOTRO > DDO

That's all you need to know.

One major difference that perhaps has not been emphasized strongly enough above is that in DDO, like traditional D&D, your character does not regenerate hit points and mana points while you are out of combat. There is an exception for while you are in a city, but in any of the instanced area in which you actually encounter enemies and have the ability to gain XP, there simply is no innate OCMR or OCPR (or ICMR or ICPR for that matter). You must find rest shrines in order to regenerate morale and power, and these are limited to a handful per instance and each can only be used once per 10 minutes or so of real time. Consequently, you are incredibly dependent on healing spells, and those in turn are limited by the lack of power regeneration.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Don't bother playing DDO. I've played both and LOTRO is far superior.

You'll just get to lvl 20 and your class or build will get nerfed and you will have to re-roll or live with being gimped because most aspects of your build you can't change.

PRE's are broken.

Melee got seriously nerfed. This I haven't experienced first hand (I played Wizard class)but my brother played DDO religiously until they ruined his Great Axe build. (Appearantly two weapon fighting was nerfed pretty bad too)

Don't get me wrong, DDO was a great game. The game is pretty far removed from the DnD d20 system now though and AC (Armor Class) functionality was basically thrown out the window with the introduction of glancing blows.

So unless you are a huge DnD fan, avoid it like the plague.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012c5df/01008/signature.png]Akhroma[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra13 View Post
    Don't bother playing DDO. I've played both and LOTRO is far superior.

You'll just get to lvl 20 and your class or build will get nerfed and you will have to re-roll or live with being gimped because most aspects of your build you can't change.

PRE's are broken.

Melee got seriously nerfed. This I haven't experienced first hand (I played Wizard class)but my brother played DDO religiously until they ruined his Great Axe build. (Appearantly two weapon fighting was nerfed pretty bad too)

Don't get me wrong, DDO was a great game. The game is pretty far removed from the DnD d20 system now though and AC (Armor Class) functionality was basically thrown out the window with the introduction of glancing blows.

Excellent first post, and so very true.

Hey magic mike . I have played DDO for 2 years. I have 3 lvl 20 toons all maxed out gear. Im telling you as a vet that DDO sucks. The community is garbage. Its all about being leet. If your not leet and make a couple mistakes you get squelched and the community trolls dont let you into parties anymore. The devs are constantly making changes to the game to "Control Server Lag". Changes have included Dungeon Alert. DDO is all about instance dungeons. You go into a dungeon, kill stuff, and complete objectives. They added dungeon alert to stop people from "Zerging" aka running through a dungeon as fast as possible cus your uber and u can. Dungeon alert buffs the mobs. There HP skyrockets, they snair you, and then they hit like Trains.

Devs also made changes to melee in that game. They slowed atk speed and nerfed many melee styles in the game. You havnt played it so im not goign to get into any specifics but, this was the last straw for me and is what made me leave that horrible game. Swinging under water isnt my thing.

The game can be fun but, sooner or later the repetitive content and ugly community will get to you. Oh and everybody looks the same. Everybody who is anybody wears the exact same armor.

Now to answer your questions . DDO has guilds yes, if they are not full of leetists then they are full of little kidds. Lotro has Kinships and i havnt experienced a bad one yet . DDo is real time Battle. You are in the thick battle making tactical dicisions every second, you are 100% in conrtol. Lotro is more like wow with combat. and last but not least DDO is a bunch of instances. The same instances you will be repeating for the rest of your life over and over and over again. Lotro is MIDDLE EARTH! YOU GET TO RUN AROUND AN ENTIRE WORLD EXPLORING!
    Last edited by Essemity; Aug 20 2010 at 03:14 PM.

As Essemity points out, the community sucks. I played DDO for 26 days, and then closed my account. Just so you get a good look at them, check what happened to a poor guy for trying to answer one question and then all of the sudden the wolves dropped on him, with their sanctimonious bull.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=269848

And In my opinion he had it easy, you should see global channels in that game. Or how about this guy asking for advice, and he got this in response:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=269809

Go get a 3.5 rulebook! my god I wonder why if people cant provide advice, or dont want to, why in the hell they even bother to type. Probably they feel superior by giving smarta.... remarks?
    Last edited by ArroyoJR; Aug 20 2010 at 03:32 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000012b60f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [LEFT]
    [/LEFT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Yellow][B]"[I]In the end, Morgoth was utterly defeated[/I]..."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra13 View Post
    A huge DnD fan that likes the new rules. This is nothing at all like classic D&D or AD&D.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    A huge DnD fan that likes the new rules. This is nothing at all like classic D&D or AD&D.
    Very true, I should have stated it more along those lines. Since it is so far removed from the old rules.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012c5df/01008/signature.png]Akhroma[/charsig]

• The dungeons are very varied. Puzzles and traps are common, some of them are brutal (three barrel cove puzzles for instance).
    I loved those puzzles. 3BC was pretty epic in that regard.

The main reason I stopped playing DDO was the complete lack of love melees got. It's basically a clicky auto-attack spam. As much as I enjoyed the good ole scouting, trap-finding, lock-picking aspects of my Rogue I found the combat uninvolved and out right boring.

Also, DDO seems much more dependent on consumables like heal wands, scrolls, and whatnot.
    [b]Dolcrist[/b] [I]Call to Arms[/I]
    [b]Unguluk[/b] [i]Abyss[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by Brelithion View Post
    The main reason I stopped playing DDO was the complete lack of love melees got.
    That's most likely due to be in D&D. In that game you don't have skill bars or skills. You basically tell the game master "I attack the goblin" and he rolls the dice for you. That is for melee and ranged fighters, it is the equivalent of only doing auto attacks. Spell users are different, for them you don't say "I cast a spell at the goblin", you say "I use magic missile on the goblin". So melee doesn't map nicely to the generic MMO conventions whereas spell users do. Rogues and monks are a bit in the middle as there are special abilities to use.

Of course they could change that, but then it wouldn't be close to pure D&D rules. And the license holders would not like that.

Most generic MMOs give you lots of skills, because it's all apart of the addictive property (small feedback rewards at periodic intervals). Ie, people want to get new skills, not just get better at the old ones.

The upcoming DDO Update 7 looks like it will be addressing some of the issues which annoyed me there. They are finally getting an Auction House search, there are also lots of bug fixes apparently (including the blank adventure panel).

And I think they are releasing a free area for level 12 ... since I'm premium I'm go and check it out as time allows.
    Perhaps this time I'm make it to level 13!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast