We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

MyLotRO and Chrome

Well.... Chrome's market share rate of growth has shown that Google has made a browser that will be a strong contender to both Firefox and IE.

I would humbly ask that the dev team keep this browser in mind, especially with MyLotRO, because there are several display issues present in Chrome.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Re: MyLotRO and Chrome

Also Turbine account gives the warning that it works for IE and Firefox.

I use chrome its better then IE because of many many reason like the click and drag tab thing. Chrome is a great Browser smooth and easy to use and think turbine should look into it more.

Eh.... I'm basing a lot of the initial post off of the growth Chrome has had over the last half of a year, where it has gone from less than a percent of the marketshare, to something BIGGER than Safari.

That's right, Google's Chrome has more marketshare than Apple's Safari.

Projecting the same growth rate forward, I would not at all be surprised if Chrome started to erode BOTH the IE and Firefox userbase, to become the third major browser.

It would be awesome if Turbine saw this as an excellent opportunity to make sure everything works with Chrome.

Isnt it already the 3rd largest lol never heard of another Web browser for PC that works lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurdman View Post
    Isnt it already the 3rd largest lol never heard of another Web browser for PC that works lol
    When the #3 browser across all devices has less than 10% of the marketshare, bypassing it isn't THAT big of a feat. Firefox is only around 20-30% with IE at 60ish%

There's Opera...

And of course Safari... but... yeah.....

Yeah, seriously, both FF and Chrome are designed with W3C standards, even IE is getting on board with that in IE9. I say start writing HTML according to the standard, and let IE users that aren't on either 8 or 9 suffer.

I guess I don't know what FF does different from Chrome that they are writing stuff that works in FF and not Chrome, but I suppose FF probably includes some of those MS hacks to get old sites working within it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000001dbab/01001/signature.png]Fettorin[/charsig]
    Courage is of no value unless accompanied by justice; yet if all men became just, there would be no need for courage. [B]- Agesilaus the Second[/B]

I think one problem is that flash doesn't work on Chrome (as of the last time I checked). I love Chrome, but have to switch often because some things I need to do just don't work on Chrome. Maybe that will change in time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000149cf/01003/signature.png]Gixcsamen[/charsig]

hmmm I've been using Chrome for a while and don't have any issues - unless you count those "Firefox exclusive" tools that are missing of course.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Bumping the thread......the site redesign is even less friendly with Chrome. I don't see why they'd leave support for the browser out.
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Yellow"]Gladden Server[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"] - [URL="http://noquarter.guildlaunch.com"]No Quarter[/URL]:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"]Xerogar - lvl 65 Guardian[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]|[/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"]Xerobpe - lvl 65 Champion[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]|[/COLOR] [COLOR="orange"]Xeroric - lvl 61 Captain[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]| [/COLOR][COLOR="orange"]Xerotrace - lvl 55 Burglar[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]|[/COLOR] [COLOR="orange"]Knitters - Rank 6 Weaver[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"] | [/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"][i]Fortes fortuna adiuvat[/i][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"][i]Originally posted by chosen2[/i]: "All I can say about Xero guys is... If he ever posts against you on the forums just admit defeat. I learned the hard way. His extremely long posts cause cancer."[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurdman View Post
    Also Turbine account gives the warning that it works for IE and Firefox.
    Except, of course, that links displayed in the Launcher's News section launches IE directly, ignoring the user's Preferred Browser setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludwyng View Post
    Except, of course, that links displayed in the Launcher's News section launches IE directly, ignoring the user's Preferred Browser setting.
    Not if you "uninstall" IE
    [center]No, I'm sure there's some stipulation that says a disintegrate spell won't work if the spellcaster casts it on himself. Here, I'll prove it."[/center]

Duwis is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeroproject View Post
    Bumping the thread......the site redesign is even less friendly with Chrome. I don't see why they'd leave support for the browser out.
    A good portion of the devs here develop using Chrome, so we've definitely run through the site with it. What helps us track down issues is posting information such as specific URLs you are having issues with, screenshots, detailed explanation of what is wrong, info on what version of browser you are running, what extensions you might have, etc.

Screenshots in this case are especially helpful, but even a "go to URL foo and notice that bar is shoved to the right with foobarbaz floating over half the content" goes a long way.

Thanks Duwis for the update.
    Is this what you are looking for? Log in, go to My lotro. Then click the News & Articles. The My Kinship tab then wraps around. N&A is the only tab that causes it. All the others were fine. I am running Chrome 6.0.472.55. I know I have an add blocker and G. Theme running but can't remember where to find that info.. lol then again its almost 1am.

.. now if only my dream list we could make -----> m.forums.lotro.com

b/c

mobile is where its at :P
    Last edited by drgoon; Sep 10 2010 at 01:30 AM.
    [center][Color=Cyan]When you are in need.. Just find your local Doctor Street!![/Color][/center]

Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by drgoon View Post
    Thanks Duwis for the update.
    Is this what you are looking for? Log in, go to My lotro. Then click the News & Articles. The My Kinship tab then wraps around. N&A is the only tab that causes it. All the others were fine. I am running Chrome 6.0.472.55. I know I have an add blocker and G. Theme running but can't remember where to find that info.. lol then again its almost 1am.
    That's exactly the sort of information that helps; however, we can't seem to repro this under a base install/same version of Chrome.

Can you disable your ad blocker and theme, clear your cache, and see if you can repro the behavior. If you can't, enable one thing at a time and see if one of those causes the behavior to happen. e.g., Enable your theme, clear cache, reload page. Issue still isn't present. Disable theme, enable ad blocker, clear cache, reload page. Issue still isn't present. Enable both theme and ad blocker, clear cache, reload page, *boom*.

If you can repro it, let us know what ad blocker you are running and what theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    When the #3 browser across all devices has less than 10% of the marketshare, bypassing it isn't THAT big of a feat. Firefox is only around 20-30% with IE at 60ish%
    In Germany FF is already ahead of IE with 45% to 44% IIRC.

BTW I have some display problems with IE7. Is there a list of the supported browsers somewhere?
    "Into the night
    Soon he disappears
    And in the back the attack of the black riders start" - [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVija7KfL80]Frodo's Dream, Van Canto[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Duwis View Post
    That's exactly the sort of information that helps; however, we can't seem to repro this under a base install/same version of Chrome.

Can you disable your ad blocker and theme, clear your cache, and see if you can repro the behavior. If you can't, enable one thing at a time and see if one of those causes the behavior to happen. e.g., Enable your theme, clear cache, reload page. Issue still isn't present. Disable theme, enable ad blocker, clear cache, reload page. Issue still isn't present. Enable both theme and ad blocker, clear cache, reload page, *boom*.

If you can repro it, let us know what ad blocker you are running and what theme.
    I did all that and never could get it to do it again. I use Adblock and the theme is Late Night-- Themes by Google. I tend to "clean everything up" before I close the browser. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
    [center][Color=Cyan]When you are in need.. Just find your local Doctor Street!![/Color][/center]

Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by drgoon View Post
    I did all that and never could get it to do it again. I use Adblock and the theme is Late Night-- Themes by Google. I tend to "clean everything up" before I close the browser. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
    Not a problem; the main thing is that the issue isn't occurring for you anymore. That is always a good thing.

With the new community site, I have the opposite experience. It ONLY works correctly in Chrome. IE8 is a complete mess on this site with pitiful performance, white javascript boxes everywhere, and menus that don't work. I can't stand to use IE8 when coming here, so always switch to Chrome just for this website. It'd be nice to have a choice on which browser to use for MyLOTRO.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000004b804/01008/signature.png]Thaladar[/charsig]

Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladar_LOTRO View Post
    With the new community site, I have the opposite experience. It ONLY works correctly in Chrome. IE8 is a complete mess on this site with pitiful performance, white javascript boxes everywhere, and menus that don't work. I can't stand to use IE8 when coming here, so always switch to Chrome just for this website. It'd be nice to have a choice on which browser to use for MyLOTRO.
    We've cleared up the white box/menu issue under IE8; give it another go and see how it is now. Might need to force reload/clear cache to pick up the latest styles, etc.

Creating any new website design using the current html/xhtml/css spec, is almost a nightmare to get right with any version of IE. For some companies, its much easier to just say "forget it, we will not support the broken IE platform any longer". Unfortunately for a game company (where their game is on the PC), they can't very well do that.

I do not envy Turbine's job to get this new design functioning well and correct in IE.

I'm here on Firefox, on a Mac (because I loath doing any sort of web browsing on my PC). This site runs and performs excellently well and correctly for me. It even runs great on Chrome... Safari too. Why? Because Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on the Mac all follow the rules, and the spec. So, when it works on one, it pretty much works right on the others too.

The only reason IE has a high market share on the PC platform, is because microsoft basically shoves it down your throats until you figure out a way to install a real web browser like Firefox or Chrome.

To stay on topic, the new forum and site design appears to work just fine under Chrome. The only thing that DOESN'T work on any browser I try, is the "Save" color scheme. I'm growing ill from the dark background and green, and want to change it, but everytime I click "Save" the next page refresh goes back to barf-green.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000008ad15/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frigidman View Post
    For some companies, its much easier to just say "forget it, we will not support the broken IE platform any longer".
    Maybe, for companies in certain niche markets. For most everyone else, it's not exactly a brilliant move to stop supporting the browsers with 60+% market share.

Also, IE9 finally got religion about standards and performance, and while it definitely still has some bugs in it (it's only been in Beta 1 for several weeks)... it's already scoring vastly better than IE8 on various standards compliance tests. Better than FF or Chrome on some too. And they replaced their JavaScript engine, which is now running about on par with Chrome in terms of performance (ahead of FF). Solid HTML5 support is in too, and the hardware acceleration via use of the GPU is astounding.

I suspect IE9 will halt the slow erosion of market share they've been seeing for about the last 8 years, and I'll also bet that developers (like me) will drop IE8 as soon as it's remotely feasible to do so. Then we can focus on IE9, FF, and Chrome too (at least if it keeps on growing market share). Of course, dropping IE8 is probably 2 years out, at least 18 months after IE9 ships.

The only thing that DOESN'T work on any browser I try, is the "Save" color scheme. I'm growing ill from the dark background and green, and want to change it, but everytime I click "Save" the next page refresh goes back to barf-green.
    It'll work on any browser, but for now you have to go to your Home page first. Click on the "Home" link at the top left of the page (under the MyLOTRO) tab. Then change the color scheme. It'll only "stick" when done from there - it's a forum bug, not a browser bug.

Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Oct 18 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Also, IE9 finally got religion about standards and performance, and while it definitely still has some bugs in it (it's only been in Beta 1 for several weeks)... it's already scoring vastly better than IE8 on various standards compliance tests. Better than FF or Chrome on some too. And they replaced their JavaScript engine, which is now running about on par with Chrome in terms of performance (ahead of FF). Solid HTML5 support is in too, and the hardware acceleration via use of the GPU is astounding.
    About dang time However it may take a few years for this developer's seething hatred of IE stupidity to wear off though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    It'll work on any browser, but for now you have to go to your Home page first. Click on the "Home" link at the top left of the page (under the MyLOTRO) tab. Then change the color scheme. It'll only "stick" when done from there - it's a forum bug, not a browser bug.
    Thanks. That worked. I swear I did it on the home page once... but, oddly it worked this time, so all is good.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000008ad15/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Bludwyng View Post
    Easily my least favorite feature. This up for a fix or forever to miss the designation of "in-scope" update.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Well.... Chrome's market share rate of growth has shown that Google has made a browser that will be a strong contender to both Firefox and IE.

I would humbly ask that the dev team keep this browser in mind, especially with MyLotRO, because there are several display issues present in Chrome.
    At least Chrome is WAY faster in loading any page on lotro.com and it doesn't suffer from other display bugs Firefox has on this domain, although they claim it to be optimized for that browser.