We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Man vs. Elf

Man vs. Elf

Which race is more suited for the LM? Man or Elf?

Elf has the 75% parry trait (very nice for the melee staff), and it seems more suited for Tolkien's lore than a man LM.

Men have more morale and faster morale regeneration, but less will than the Elf. On the other hand, Will is not everything and power doesn't seem to be a huge problem for the LM with their unique "draw power" skill.

Any thoughts from the LM community on what I might have missed?

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Man vs. Elf

Some folks may disagree, but I find the 3k racial man heal to be invaluable at least while soloing. I've popped that more in 1 week of play on my man burg than i have hit my racial parry in 1.5 years of play on the rk.
    85 RK | 85 CHMP | 75 BRG | many others

Race matters very little in the grand scheme of things. Men have a couple of traits that give them a slight edge in survivability (Man heal, a little extra B/P/E, and a small bonus to incoming healing) while Elves get some slightly more interesting tools (Stealth, Eldar's grace, port to Rivendell). All in all, I prefer the race of Man, but the differences are very minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborius View Post
    Which race is more suited for the LM? Man or Elf?

Elf has the 75% parry trait (very nice for the melee staff), and it seems more suited for Tolkien's lore than a man LM.

Men have more morale and faster morale regeneration, but less will than the Elf. On the other hand, Will is not everything and power doesn't seem to be a huge problem for the LM with their unique "draw power" skill.

Any thoughts from the LM community on what I might have missed?

Thanks for any replies.
    Biggest Mistake I think I made was rollign an elf LM, just because men can end up looking like Gandalf :'( but even then, when your fighting tactical classes, Parry doesn't do jask $#!@ for you :/
    Plus you will have power problems in places like the forges (Last boss is immune to fire/light damage and can't have power drawn from him) or when your feeding minstrels in Turtle because more often than not its one LM per 2 minstrels, also Captains and Burgs are also very Power hungry.
    Last edited by amien; Jul 22 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100001c97e9/signature.png]Blackblight[/charsig]

Man, you won't regret it, trust me.

I have a man Burg, LM, Minstrel, but an elf Hunter (all 65). Hunter is Rank 10, but I would delete him to re roll for a man Hunter.

Yes, I'm racist.
    Third Marshal Rubicon Guardian ~ Third Marshal Raae Minstrel
    Commander Danceswithwargs Reaver ~ Taskmaster Whiskeytangofoxtrot Spider
    Commander Verkaufsschlacker Lore-master ~ Lieutenant Rivaalan Hunter
    ~ No Mercy ~

Elf, being able to get that parry buff on the run is great. Man would be better if they scaled the heal more.
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

go Man becuase elves don't have a masculine gender kinda like dwarves dont have a feminine gender. :-P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000099d72/01008/signature.png]Nilkgar[/charsig]

I actually prefer elf. "The Man heal" is, in my opinion, the only thing that really stands out for man... and the cool down is so large you rarely use it. Honestly, if you have to pop the man heal, how often do you end up living anyway? In a group situation, it seems like it's rarely worth it.

There's really no wrong choice, but here's why I prefer elf:

Return to Rivendell:

Awesome port to have, especially when you are leveling and can prevent that huge run to the city.

Stealth:

Fantastic for the 'moors and soloing a tough quest.

Power of the Eldar:

It's not groundbreaking, but it's nice to share that little bit of extra power with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborius View Post
    Men have more morale and faster morale regeneration, but less will than the Elf.
    This won't make a difference late in the game. You might notice the disparity in fate early on, but with traits and gear, the effect is completely nullified.

Man heal is man heal is man heal. Eldar's Grace is great, but I'd rather have a 3k heal at my disposal. Being able to stealth is nice, too, but just for soloing. You get way more mileage when grouping with extra incoming healing and B/P/E.

As for Return to Rivendell, who cares? It's the nicest racial return trait, to be sure. But Return to Bree is also good, and arguably better before you get to Eregion. This shouldn't even be a factor in your decision.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=yellow]Celedorn [/COLOR][/B]Champion [B]~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Severrond [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Lore-Master ~ [B][COLOR=yellow]Edenvail [/COLOR][/B]Captain[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Vexer [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Burglar[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Halorandir [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Hunter[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Braeburn [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Guardian[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][I][COLOR=#ffa500]Proud member of Weapon of Choice [/COLOR][/I][SIZE=2]~ Elendilmir[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=white]"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me."[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Viloxus View Post
    Elf, being able to get that parry buff on the run is great.
    And a parry buff on the run is useful...when you're charging AT the stuff you are trying to avoid getting killed by?

Unless I was rolling a female character I would go with man personally, because I really don't like the male elf character models. They look clunky and awkward instead of slender and graceful.

Yeah, it's not going to matter much for will/fate. I've got a Woman and I overshot the Will cap by quite a bit (when the Will buff is applied, which, well, it always is). Now I'm looking to dump some Will to see if I can boost my Fate enough to cap it with food. So... race makes no material difference there.

A friend and I leveled LMs together - he rolled an elf, I rolled a Man. Really no difference at any point. Going on aesthetics is as good as anything.

(I use the man heal a lot in 3-mans, but rarely solo or full fellowship)

Tab-targeting is marginally easier with an elf because you can't accidentally target the innocent little creatures with your big attacks
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000c4e94/01008/signature.png]Kirahlee[/charsig]

Back in SoA days, when a 3k heal was a full heal, i would agree with rolling a man LM. However, now that most lms run from between 5500 and 6500 hp, then man heal isn't quite as good as it used to be. Furthermore, i don't believe that the devs are going to scale the heal up to the current hp.
    For me, it comes down to when you would use the 'oh ****' skill. Usually, I will have multiple mobs pounding on me, either in PvE or in PvP. In this case, a 75 % parry buff could in theory prevent more than 3k damage.
    As other people have said, the -stats that the races get, are all negated by gear and other racial traits, which you will acquire by the time you reach 65.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000015e01/01008/signature.png]Ragnarond[/charsig]

I typically play elves.

That being said, my now level 50 LM is my first woman character...

It's nice having the extra melee attack while soloing, since lots of your skills have long CDs (Uppercut)... but really haven't noticed a huge difference otherwise from my elven characters.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21600000011282e/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/FONT]

I base my choice of race for each toon on the overall concept, and background I develp for each. Minor stat differences should notsway you from choosing the toon you want to play.

For the record, I'm an elf LM and have never found the need for healing beyond what the class provides. If I were a Human LM I would build my my gear, and slot my skills somewhat differently, but, all-in-all, I don't see that one race has an advantage over the other.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002134/01007/signature.png]Nolranyar[/charsig]

I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.

Have you ever seen the animation differences of Beacon of Hope and Share the Power? Elves look cool doing it. The race of Man looks like they thrusting their pelvises like Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post
    And a parry buff on the run is useful...when you're charging AT the stuff you are trying to avoid getting killed by?

yup, like when i have to run through a gauntlet or run over a bridge full of NPCs in the moors, and so on...
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

If I, as an elf LM, get into trouble, I have Wisdom of the Council, pots, debuffs, stuns, etc. If I went through all of that and still needed another 3k heal(or 75% parry for 10 seconds for that matter), I'm dead anyway...unless my eagle is still up.

Doesn't matter what race except for cosmetics in the long run.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c2012/01008/signature.png]Amavannari[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by TheFang_82 View Post
    Back in SoA days, when a 3k heal was a full heal, i would agree with rolling a man LM. However, now that most lms run from between 5500 and 6500 hp, then man heal isn't quite as good as it used to be. Furthermore, i don't believe that the devs are going to scale the heal up to the current hp.
    For me, it comes down to when you would use the 'oh ****' skill. Usually, I will have multiple mobs pounding on me, either in PvE or in PvP. In this case, a 75 % parry buff could in theory prevent more than 3k damage.
    As other people have said, the -stats that the races get, are all negated by gear and other racial traits, which you will acquire by the time you reach 65.
    hey, since WotC doesn't scale anymore either, you can combine the two and youll ALMOST be at full health!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100001c97e9/signature.png]Blackblight[/charsig]

Elfs get more of a bonus from going Blue on FMS...

Have a parry buff when u want to run from a creep or beighn hit by a AoE...

Elf stealth for mabey sneaking around a camp looking for a quest object....

Power bonus (that i cant remember name) Heck yeah ur group has more power more to fill up but more to start out with ......

And yeah man isnt bad the only really thing that wows me is the man heal... Oh and uppercut of course

I went with an elf for the power bonus and everything listed above.... Man heal is nice i have it on my cappy but with how many heals u get from flanks while leveling up is it worth making a man just for a heal when u can heal youself for like 600 every couple of secound with a raven, eagle, or Lurker...

Thats my 2 cents
    Ishali - RK | Ishai - Champ | Ishaz - Warden | Ishah - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by amien View Post
    hey, since WotC doesn't scale anymore either,
    WotC scales with Tactical Healing Rating, which goes up as you can equip higher level books. It may not scale as much as you want, but it does scale.

Quote Originally Posted by lord1021 View Post
    Have a parry buff when u want to run from a creep or beighn hit by a AoE...
    Popping a parry buff when you want to run away from something is kind of silly, since you can only parry attacks from the front...

Man if you want to look like gandalf

Elf if you want to be mistaken for a lady while wearing your "dress"
    Alaek: elven guardian of Brandywine
    "War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise" quote by Faramir

Men have beards.

Discussion over.
    [size=1][color=gray]Draxl - 75 Human Guardian / Braxl - 65 Human Champion
    Bomri - 75 Dwarven Minstrel / Bimri - 65 Dwarven Rune-keeper
    Silverlode[/color][/size]