We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Turbine Hates Crafting

All of this has probably been said a myriad of time before, but here goes anyway...

So there I am. I need to re-armor a couple of characters.

I have most, but not all of the L56 light armor recipes (the highest I've found that are single use). I can't buy the other recipes because no NPC sells them and the ones I need aren't up for auction.

So I figure...okay, I can do guild L58 recipes for a piece or two. Of course, I can only do one of those per week AND I need a mithril flake for each.

According to the update notes, lizards in the Water Works now drop flakes. So I go to kill some lizards...no luck.

Why is it that one can only do one recipe per week AND you need a very rare item to do it? Isn't one of the other constraint sufficient to restrict the crafting? Why does it have to be both?

Hence my title for this thread.

Re: Turbine Hates Crafting

General Lizards around the WW don't drop flakes. Unless it's a named dropper.

And yes it takes a while to build up a guild-crafting reservoir from which you can make things, but that's just how it is.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C2C2A3][B]ArcticAurora [/B][COLOR=#999966]95 S/B Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Pavello[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 OP Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Canadian[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 Capt[/COLOR] ... [SIZE=1]et alts[/SIZE] [/COLOR]
    [B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]2013 Player Councillor[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B]//[/B] [SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]Rich people would rebuild the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm. Wealthy players fill the great chasm with gold.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/dsrtfx207/rich_zps70199bf0.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

1) Flakes are available through skirmshes now and aren't that many SM's.

2) Atleast on Vilya you can get a flake for 500 silver on the AH, so if you're that desperate for a flake, go look there.

Flakes aren't any more rare than a shard is for previous tiers, so I fail to see how Turbine hates crafting because you are having a hard time finding a flake.

P.S. Lizards in the Waterwheels instance (Lumul-nar, I think) now drop flakes, which I do understand getting confused because both the instance and the area are commonly referred to as WW.
    Last edited by gludayers; Mar 06 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Crafted gear is better than anything you are going to get questing until you get to the barter grind gear (and even then its sometimes better). Until about lvl 40 it is massively superior to anything else you can get. From 40 to about 57, its just as good or a little better. Its only from 58-65 that medallion gained gear is better and even then, the Lothlorien crafted is pretty close.

Its not supposed to be a 'get free stuff easily' method. Its supposed to be an equivalent effort alternative.

One other good place for mithril flakes is in the prospector crafting instances in Moria. If you can prospect, its an option. I find that you get 1-2 per run through, from the Khazad Gold ore deposits.
    [SIZE=1][I]I've paid my dues - [/I][/SIZE][I][SIZE=1]Time after time - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]I've done my sentence [/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=1]But committed no crime - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]And bad mistakes - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]I've made a few [/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=1]I've had my share of sand kicked in my face - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]But I've come through[/SIZE][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by gludayers View Post
    1) Flakes are available through skirmshes now and aren't that many SM's.

2) Atleast on Vilya you can get a flake for 500 silver on the AH, so if you're that desperate for a flake, go look there.

Flakes aren't any more rare than a shard is for previous tiers, so I fail to see how Turbine hates crafting because you are having a hard time finding a flake.

P.S. Lizards in the Waterwheels instance (Lumul-nar, I think) now drop flakes, which I do understand getting confused because both the instance and the area are commonly referred to as WW.
    1. Assumes that (a) people do skirmishes (I've found I detest them) and (b) don't have something better to spend the marks on.

2. On Elendilmir, lowest price is just under 700 S.

I have gotten one flake off a named in the Water Works. What I need is a regular supply--and that isn't trivial. Also, it still begs the question of why one has a one week cooldown to make an essential ingredient AND you need a flake. Isn't one or the other sufficient?

As for the Waterwheels, the following is a direct copy and paste from the patch notes;

Lizards in the Water Works now have a chance of dropping a Mithril Flake.

Where in there do you interpret Waterwheels? There are references to the Waterwheels in the patch notes, but not in the loot section I copied that from. Turbine is certainly capable of making the distinction.
    Last edited by whheydt; Mar 06 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vormaerin View Post
    Crafted gear is better than anything you are going to get questing until you get to the barter grind gear (and even then its sometimes better). Until about lvl 40 it is massively superior to anything else you can get. From 40 to about 57, its just as good or a little better. Its only from 58-65 that medallion gained gear is better and even then, the Lothlorien crafted is pretty close.

Its not supposed to be a 'get free stuff easily' method. Its supposed to be an equivalent effort alternative.
    I'm not looking for a 'free stuff easily'. I still have to gather hides and buy other materials as well as recipes. For that matter, I did grind to SM tailor. Try that before you make remarks about "free" or "easy".

I just question the need for both a one week timer PLUS a rare drop. One or the other ought to be enough.

turbine also hates puppies

In addition to purchasing with skirmish marks and doing crafting instances, if you have a prospector, making a round or two farming ore in Lothlorien is a very good way to get flakes, and you may also run into a named flake dropper with a sure chance of getting one. I used to do that ore farming run regularly and would usually get at least 1-2 flakes, and on occasion got 5-6.

If you would prefer to kill for your flakes, rather than hunting mobs that might drop a flake, the sure thing flake droppers are the best bet. This site might be useful: http://www.darksymphony.info/sharddr...rddroppers.php

And flake droppers do have a regular spawn pattern. I have a kinmate who farms them regularly, knows all the spawn times, and basically goes to kill one every hour or so. He has stacks of mithril flakes on the AH for prices that make those who want to sell a few a week for gold want to cry. We all hate him

Quote Originally Posted by revoked View Post
    if you have a prospector, making a round or two farming ore in Lothlorien is a very good way to get flakes
    Which puts prospectors at a distinct advantage over foresters. If flakes can drop from ore, the equivalent should drop from wood, no? And scholar nodes as well. Why favor one craft over the other?

Crafting, especially woodcraft, as always been out of balance. Except for legendaries (which requires the flakes) what use is woodcraft? Metalsmiths can make armor which is still useful, same for tailors. Jewelers have just been given a major upgrade to keep them relevant. Cooks provide useful items, and to some degree scholars, but the basic recipes for a L6 woodworker are all but worthless. There aren't many takers for non-legendary weapons above L50.

I wouldn't say Turbine hates crafting, but they don't love all crafts equally.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=deepskyblue]Lle merna aut farien?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000005532/01008/signature.png]Northwoods[/charsig][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    Playing music in LotRO is as easy as [URL="http://abcnotation.org.uk/"]ABC![/URL][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Woodworkers can also make musical instruments, which are Minstrel weapons.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    All of this has probably been said a myriad of time before, but here goes anyway...

So there I am. I need to re-armor a couple of characters.

I have most, but not all of the L56 light armor recipes (the highest I've found that are single use). I can't buy the other recipes because no NPC sells them and the ones I need aren't up for auction.

So I figure...okay, I can do guild L58 recipes for a piece or two. Of course, I can only do one of those per week AND I need a mithril flake for each.

According to the update notes, lizards in the Water Works now drop flakes. So I go to kill some lizards...no luck.

Why is it that one can only do one recipe per week AND you need a very rare item to do it? Isn't one of the other constraint sufficient to restrict the crafting? Why does it have to be both?

Hence my title for this thread.
    If you think finding the flake plus a timeout is a big issue for crafters, wait till you see them add in reputation requirement. Ooops. They already did. >_<

Anyway I feel for you, I also have problem farming flake as from what I recalled, it was only available from random mining and rare mobs. So making a full set of crafter guild armor for only one of my toon actually take 2~3 months to achieve back then. And when the next tier actually need reputation grind to get the recipe, it burn me out and I start to take a very long break from the game.

But I have been away from the game for a very long time so I might be wrong, but I believe now flake can be obtained much easier, no?

I'm not looking for a 'free stuff easily'. I still have to gather hides and buy other materials as well as recipes. For that matter, I did grind to SM tailor. Try that before you make remarks about "free" or "easy".

I just question the need for both a one week timer PLUS a rare drop. One or the other ought to be enough.
    Actually, I am a SM tailor and I have plenty of mithril flakes because they drop like candy if you actually quest. I get some from ore, some from killing rares, some from chests in 3 and 6 man instances. I suppose if I needed more I could buy them on the AH or skirmish for them.

Anyway, you don't have a one week timer if you bother to use the real recipe instead of the guild recipe.

Also, it still begs the question of why one has a one week cooldown to make an essential ingredient AND you need a flake. Isn't one or the other sufficient?
    You don't need to use the guild recipes. The standard recipes are without cooldown but you have to take the risk of not critting. The guild recipes have a cooldown but always give the same result. Isn't it better to have two options?

Also, are you checking the AH for recipes to fill out your list? There are a lot that show up there.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

somewhere between this world and the next...

It is always in your best interest to plan ahead... and the game doesn't exactly reward the mentality of 'I want it all and I want it right now...'

My jeweler usually makes one piece of guild jewelry a week for a member of the kin that needs it. I keep a note of the time and day the recipe is ready again and I make sure the necessary supplies are on hand. Between my kinmates and I there is a pretty good chance that at least ONE of us has found a mithril flake during the week.

And as others have stated flakes drop from so many sources - nodes, chests, named mobs, random mobs in instances. And the other supplies are also easy to get, even from 'work orders' (which many people forget about...)

Again, if you suddenly decide you have to craft a whole set of crit armor you are going to find it difficult. You will have to grind (which can be annoying) or spend auction house prices (if the materials are listed.) You will not have this problem if you slow down and plan a little ahead of time.

Take care.
    Threndinir - Retired Old Dwarf

Aside from the debate of what is too easy etc, if you can just auto crit everything at will what would be the point of having drop recipes. I suppose the fact that you got to kindred with the guild is one thing, but if there was no timer people could make a supply of crit gear limited purely by the number of flakes they can obtain (I have very little use for them and have collected 30+ without even thinking about it-I know guys who actually have multiple stacks of 100 because they find it fun to kill the mobs)

With that in mind I am glad you can't just go out willy nilly crafting multiple full sets of crit crafted gear and most crafters who use it as their money making probably feel much the same way, in fact I would bet many feel that as it is crit crafted gear is too easily obtainable and has been overly devalued as a result.

the only problem i have with crafting is the symbol drop and whoever though of gating crafting behind combat should be fired, end of line.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000000310b/01003/signature.png]Isest[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    Also, are you checking the AH for recipes to fill out your list? There are a lot that show up there.
    Per original post...Yes I checked the AH. No joy there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    One other good place for mithril flakes is in the prospector crafting instances in Moria. If you can prospect, its an option. I find that you get 1-2 per run through, from the Khazad Gold ore deposits.
    Just ran both the L58 and the L60...no flakes.

Talking Re: Turbine Hates Crafting

Flakes are sooo easy to get. In a 20 min loop around Lothlorien I can score 5-6 flakes. Search the net, there are color maps that show all the spawn spots.

Then laugh at the suckers who pay 500s a pop on AH. :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d6cff/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by douglasburns View Post
    Flakes are sooo easy to get. In a 20 min loop around Lothlorien I can score 5-6 flakes. Search the net, there are color maps that show all the spawn spots.

Then laugh at the suckers who pay 500s a pop on AH. :P
    Looked 'em up and did the loop...no flake droppers. How many times have you done it and when? Looks like a serious exaggeration from here...

Quote Originally Posted by revoked View Post
    In addition to purchasing with skirmish marks and doing crafting instances, if you have a prospector, making a round or two farming ore in Lothlorien is a very good way to get flakes, and you may also run into a named flake dropper with a sure chance of getting one. I used to do that ore farming run regularly and would usually get at least 1-2 flakes, and on occasion got 5-6.
    I have one basic point on this claim (having just done such a run)...when was the alst time you got a flake from a node in Lorien? I got a couple several months ago, but I think a patch changed that. So...provide a date, please.

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    You don't need to use the guild recipes. The standard recipes are without cooldown but you have to take the risk of not critting. The guild recipes have a cooldown but always give the same result. Isn't it better to have two options?
    Where is a non-guild L58 recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulhacker View Post
    If you think finding the flake plus a timeout is a big issue for crafters, wait till you see them add in reputation requirement. Ooops. They already did. >_<
    While I don't think rep gating for crafting is a very good idea, I don't consider it a show-stopper. There are reliable ways to gain rep, even if some of them are time consuming. (I don't object to grinds per se, I object to ones that don't show any progress. Comes to that, my main is Kindred with every faction except the Maladhrim, and there he has no rep at all so far. Most of my other characters are Kindred with several factions.)

While I don't think rep gating for crafting is a very good idea, I don't consider it a show-stopper. There are reliable ways to gain rep, even if some of them are time consuming. (I don't object to grinds per se, I object to ones that don't show any progress. Comes to that, my main is Kindred with every faction except the Maladhrim, and there he has no rep at all so far. Most of my other characters are Kindred with several factions.)
    Rep grinding are only for those who can afford to spend a lot of time in the game regardless how easy or reliable some may considered it is in this game. It is not a good method for crafting progression especially to casual players like me who only spent few hours a week.

And aye, one must be exaggerating or is extremely lucky to be able to score 5-6 flakes in a 20min run. When I was trying to make that set for my toon back then, I have spent at least an hour daily running node run and if lady luck is with me, I might hit 2 or 3 flakes in a week, but when lady luck is not with me, I may not even get one for weeks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast