We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Judge My DPS Staff Legacies

Here's what I'm shooting for on my DPS staff:

Tactical Skills Direct Damage
    Fire Skills Crit
    Burning Embers Initial Damage
    Ring of Fire Damage
    Sticky Gourd Direct Damage
    Nature's Fury Skill Damage
    Lightning Storm Base

What do you think? I find that when DPSing, I use Lighting Storm a lot more than LotRD. So I skipped LotRD Damage and LotRD Base Critical, despite LS being a much longer cooldown.
    Last edited by Inkling; Aug 02 2016 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
    Here's what I'm shooting for on my DPS staff:

Tactical Skills Direct Damage
    Fire Skills Crit
    Burning Embers Initial Damage
    Ring of Fire Damage
    Sticky Gourd Direct Damage
    Nature's Fury Skill Damage
    Lightning Storm Base

What do you think? I find I use Lighting Storm a lot more when DPSing than LotRD, so I skipped LotRD Damage and LotRD Base Critical, despite it being a much longer cooldown.
    If this is your only 1, i mean universal staff dps/debuff.

Then I should change Nature Fury Damage to Lightning Skill Critical Rating.
    The reason is those crit.rating legacies do not go over cap, but ut allow you have lower crit.Rating.
    Which means you can atleast spare 2 essences slots for another stat +will or morale or finesse.
    Most LM skills are fire or lightning dmg so those 2 legacies are enough for them.
    (you still have solid crit.rating aroung 13k is around 20percent crit.)
    Only problem is running 3man as a Healer. WaterLore has a bit lower crit.(But we have OP set for +3WL pulses more)
    Also replace Fire Ring dmg legacies to LotrD dmg legacies.(LotrD is available in every trait tree skills)

If you want cap crit.rating and this staff is universal staff dps/debuff.
    Then remove Nature Fury dmg legacies. Put 1 LotD legacies.
    (Fire ring is easier to reach even you r in yellow+red for dps support)

If you want cap crit.rating+this is purely dps staff for redline LM
    Then it is better remove Nature Fury dmg. legacies for LotD legacies.

I prefere the first setup with lower crit.rating and 2 fire/lightning crit.rating legacies.
    Lower crit.rating =13+k crit.rating atleast enough for 20percent crit.
    Ofcourse loosing dng boost legacies arent good for dps race.
    But NatureFury has long induction, so i dont mind have it just for fun and cool look

Just choose wise and it have to suit you play style.
    Last edited by Elgrind; Aug 02 2016 at 09:44 AM.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supereme excellence.
    Supreme excellence consist in breaking enemys resitance without fighting" Sun Tzu - the Art of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgrind View Post

Then I should change Nature Fury Damage to Lightning Skill Critical Rating.
    The reason is those crit. Rating legacies do not go over cap, but ut allow you have lower crit.Rating.
    Which means you can atleast spare 2 essences slots for another stat +will or morale or finesse.
    Most LM skills are fire or lightning dmg so those 2 legacies are enough for them.
    (you still have solid crit.rating aroung 13k is around 20percent crit.)
    Only problem is running 3man as a Healer. WaterLore has a bit lower crit.(But we have OP set for +3WL pulses more)
    Also replace Fire Ring dmg legacies to LotrD dmg legacies.(LotrD is available in every trait tree skills)

If you want cap crit.rating and this staff is universal staff dps/debuff.
    Then remove Nature Fury dmg legacies. Put 1 LotD legacies.
    (Fire ring is easier to reach even you r in yellow+red for dps support)
    Optional: remove Fire Crit/Ring Fire for +stat legacies.

If you want cap crit.rating+this is purely dps staff for redline LM
    Then it is better remove fire crit.rating leagcies for LotD legacies.

I prefere the first setup with lower crit.rating and 2 fire/lightning crit.rating legacies.
    Lower crit.rating =13+k crit.rating atleast enough for 20percent crit.
    Ofcourse loosing dng boost legacies arent good for dps race.
    But NatureFury has long induction, so i dont mind have it just for fun and cool look

Just choose wise and it have to suit you play style.
    just one question. does the rating legacy contributes to critical/devastating multiplier?

Quote Originally Posted by wretchesandkings View Post
    just one question. does the rating legacy contributes to critical/devastating multiplier?
    Well you can read few topics here on LMs forum about those crit.rating.
    They do not go above cap and do not contributes to devast.multiplier.

I should say that if you seek for those stats is better equip relics for devast.magnitude than wasting resources on 2essences slot to cap crit.rating and 2 legacies for little bit devast.magnitude.

So far those crit.rating legacies behave different on another classes.
    Some classes benefit rating overcap some not. And it seems that LMs do
    not benefit from them.

Aswell dps boost is insignificant/really small
    But gaining 2 essences slots more/free is very useful, specially when LM in new t2c raid only stacking morale and a finesse for support and debuff.

F.e. Lots LM running with relics with +330 morale and phys/tact mits.(Gems or Rune relics) instead slot gems with crit rating n fate.
    After that they wasted 2 essences slots for nearly same amounts crit.rating.
    Those 2slots are 972*2 morale or 2*will or 2*finesse etc.

To be fair crit.rating on LM is tricky stat to get and where to get it.
    With good choice you gaining more than you can expect.
    Supreme excellence consist in breaking enemys resitance without fighting" Sun Tzu - the Art of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgrind View Post

Then I should change Nature Fury Damage to...
    I see your point. I had said DPS staff, with the intention of maintaining a separate support staff. But if I were to use this as a utility staff while still leveling my support staff, the Nature's Fury Damage legacy would be completely wasted, since the skill is inaccessible in Yellow spec.

It seems to me there are two decisions a Lore-master must make before he or she selects legacies:

1) Is this a DPS-only staff? Or will it be a utility staff, doing double-duty with yellow spec for support (the preferred LRM role in the current raid)?
    2) Will you cap critical rating on your armour/essences? Or will you save those two essence slots for will/morale/etc and use crit legacies on your LI to make up the difference?

Answer those questions and you have a clearer idea of what legacies you need.

The Fire crit legacy the OP listed, in abbreviation, is a crit damage legacy (and so is a must legacy for a dps staff ofc), not a +crit rating legacy (that is found on LM books).

I tested the +fire skills critical rating legacy a few weeks ago, with critical rating at cap and changing only this one legacy.
    It does not affect the devastate or critical magnitude of initial hits of burning embers. It probably does not affect the critical magnitude of dots from burning embers. This was harder to test as dot crits do not have a fixed value. However, in a number of long parses spamming burning embers, there was very little difference in dps with/without the legacy.
    For more detail see:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t=#post7634215

I have not seen any evidence to confirm if/if not the lightning skills +critical rating affects the critical or devastate magnitude of lightning skills if already at the critical rating cap, so can't comment on that. Personally, I don't cap critical rating even in dps build. I under cap this stat by a bit and use the +crit legacies to maximise the chance of fire skills/dots and lightning skills critting.
    Last edited by Lenkamir; Aug 02 2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenkamir View Post
    The Fire crit legacy the OP listed, in abbreviation, is a crit damage legacy (and so is a must legacy for a dps staff ofc), not a +crit rating legacy (that is found on LM books).
    Yeah thx for correction, i wrote to reply on mobile phone. Didnt checked legacies list. Fire Critical skills damage legacy is for staff and it is must have.
    And replace Nature Fury dmg. for Lightning skills. crit. rating is corrected answer ...

Looks pretty good overall. I would also suggest replacing Ring of Fire with LotRD, but mainly because casting Ring of Fire in a group is a good way of lagging your fellow players and getting them to ask you to stop using it. If you don't plan on grouping, you can keep it if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    ...casting Ring of Fire in a group is a good way of lagging your fellow players and getting them to ask you to stop using it.
    I hear this mentioned in discussion, but have never encountered such a request in-game. I would think people *that* bothered by lag would simply not be playing lotro.

This is, in my experience mainly an issue in PvMP and specifically where LMs cast ring of fire inside keeps - at least, that is where I have been asked not to use it. However, if group v group is going on, you may well be yellow anyway. Also, lag in PvMP has generated so much QQ it could probably have a forum all of its own

Quote Originally Posted by Lenkamir View Post
    This is, in my experience mainly an issue in PvMP and specifically where LMs cast ring of fire inside keeps - at least, that is where I have been asked not to use it. However, if group v group is going on, you may well be yellow anyway. Also, lag in PvMP has generated so much QQ it could probably have a forum all of its own
    Taking from pvp side, I have been asked to use it on cooldown nearly everytime in RvR
    I still remember fight in ID mine tyrant place, i was blamed for causing creeps lag with that.
    Craid did nothing just targeted me. I got revived so much like CD on Ring of fire...
    ...Ring of fire,killed,rezzed,Ring of fire, killed,rezzed,Ring of Fire... Till craid wiped n started QQ on freep OOC

Small grp is now better in yellow maybe ofc.depend on situation and group set up etc.

Also with good using 2LMs it prevent wargs annoying healers. Wargs stealth drop when they r entered Fire of Ring.
    1 throw on rvr=they are always charge in freep formation
    1 throw to BA if they are little off center where wargs always are or defiler = but it is a bit risky, bc LM have to be a bit before line
    Also with new trend with forwarding healing over freep/creep RAT.
    Some fraid/craid will have stealth RAT (warg/burg). Ring of Fire will help a bit to discover RAT aswell.

Back to topic:

LotD base/crit.dmg is somehow better than ring of fire for me.
    Both skills same cd =30 seconds. Also LotD is available in any trait tree skills.
    Ring of fire for me is just debuff AOE skill, also lagmaster skill in etten