We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

jwbarry: Why no Skirmish Camp in Mirkwood?

Did a search, found no answers. Checked the two stickies in the Skirmish forums, no joy (unless I missed it).

Makes no sense that a whole slew of skirmishes opens up once youve done Dannenglor, meaning youre in Mirkwood at the time, and yet you need to travel all the way back to Loth (yeah, I realise its just a couple horse rides etc etc) just to trade in marks/upgrade soldiers etc etc.

So is there a reason (lore, time and resources) why theres no camp in Mirkwood?
    ...holding aggro, and living to tell about it.
    This used to be a signature picture before Turbine "fixed" the forums.
    Your sword's grown old and rusty - Burnt beneath the rising sun
    It's locked up like a trophy - Forgetting all the things it's done

Re: jwbarry: Why no Skirmish Camp in Mirkwood?

Time honored MMORPG gimmick says to encourage high level players to mingle with others, this is enforced by making some facilities only in old world zones where lowbies can go. For lotro, this seems to mean skirmish camps and AH. Sort of silly since we all just pop to inner CG or 21 from mirk, which does not really meet the goal of seeing and being seen by lowbies who just got the game, but thats the usual idea behind it.

Maybe thats why they gave everyone the dwarf racial port (well, with a little rep) and a super handy skirm camp at thorin's. I use that one some.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

I wondered about this one myself. Skirmishes were invented in Mirkwood and most of them are set there, yet it's the only place in the game that doesn't have a skirmish camp. Weird. Ost Galadh is practically begging for one.

-The Gneech
    [I]Premium content since 2010.[/I]
    [url=http://www.valarguild.org]Valar Guild: Lore Monkeys and Proud of It[/url]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/thegneech/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001149ed/01005/signature.png]Honorary Shirriff Maedhroc Thornhollow[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://www.gneech.com]Gneech.com[/url] - My writing, comics, and art.

Quote Originally Posted by forusrname View Post
    Time honored MMORPG gimmick says to encourage high level players to mingle with others, this is enforced by making some facilities only in old world zones where lowbies can go. For lotro, this seems to mean skirmish camps and AH. Sort of silly since we all just pop to inner CG or 21 from mirk, which does not really meet the goal of seeing and being seen by lowbies who just got the game, but thats the usual idea behind it.

Maybe thats why they gave everyone the dwarf racial port (well, with a little rep) and a super handy skirm camp at thorin's. I use that one some.
    Time honored themepark MMO gimmick*

Sigh. Was hoping it wasnt something like this, and more of a "ahh, we over-looked that, and were working on it now old chap" sort of thing.
    ...holding aggro, and living to tell about it.
    This used to be a signature picture before Turbine "fixed" the forums.
    Your sword's grown old and rusty - Burnt beneath the rising sun
    It's locked up like a trophy - Forgetting all the things it's done

Although it does not seem to be reflected in either the lorebook or lotro-wiki, there is now a skirmish camp south of the eastern entrance to Ost Galadh (14.6S 58.0W).
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post
    Although it does not seem to be reflected in either the lorebook or lotro-wiki, there is now a skirmish camp south of the eastern entrance to Ost Galadh (14.6S 58.0W).
    There is indeed a skirmish camp at Ost Galadh. The weapons banner shows on the ingame map.

In case you guys didn't realize, this is an ooooold post from 2010. The skirmish camp has been at Ost Galadh for more than 1 1/2 to 2 years now I think.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine