We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New captain confused about Skills

Okay, I tried to find this information off of google, but everything seems so out of date, so I've came here.

I'm a bit confused with the whole 'battle-readied' thing.

I have a skill (devastating blow), that requires me to be in a 'Battle-Readied' state. It has a 4.2 sec cooldown right now (early). Yet, the only skill I have to put me into that state, letting me use the ability, is Battle-Shout, with a 20 sec cooldown.

Looking through the captain skill sets, I don't see any other move that puts you into that battle-readied state. So why does it have such a short cooldown when I can only use the attack every 20 seconds? (or I saw a trait to make that 15, but still..).

I'm not really understanding and I would love someone to shed some light on it. Or just a simple 'that's the way its supposed to work' if that's all there is to it.

Thanks.

Re: New captain confused about Skills

Call to Greatness allows you to use this attack every 5 seconds for 20 seconds.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0100000c3659/signature.png]Emberosash[/charsig]

Welcome to the Captain class.

Yes, many of our attack skills need to be 'tiered up' and they hide behind the battle-readied state. Battle shout is the primary method for getting to tier 2, although there are other techniques. And yes, it has a long CD. You will learn an attack rotation that will eventually cycle back to Battle Shout when it is up again. If you get off that rotation for some reason, be prepared to auto-attack for a bit.

Just be glad you weren't playing a Captain back when if Battle Shout was resisted, you couldn't tier up. Nice, huh. They finally fixed that. It was a bit harsh.
    Viniel, 100 Minstrel -- Tokomak, 100 Guard -- Valwin, 100 Captain -- Vinlad, 100 Burglar -- Vinius, 100 Champion -- (and others)

Later on you'll get another skill called Time of Need or something that will put you in a battle readied stance, as well as opening up your defeat response skills. The trait will also reset the CD on defeat response skills. Minstrels have skills that will open up Devestating Blow and Pressing Attack. While its still kinda lame for the short CD on DB/PA only to have a long cd on battle shout, I figure its all part of turbines plan to get more "teamwork" from the other classes, like minstrels, who have seemingly useless skills until they use them on other classes.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e20801000001ea7f/signature.png]Hawtshot[/charsig]

Also the 5 set BG bonus allows you to reset battle shout 10% of the time.

Never works for me though

Quote Originally Posted by Viniel View Post
    Just be glad you weren't playing a Captain back when if Battle Shout was resisted, you couldn't tier up. Nice, huh. They finally fixed that. It was a bit harsh.
    that was awesome!! :P
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I have a better grasp on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    Also the 5 set BG bonus allows you to reset battle shout 10% of the time.

Never works for me though
    Current record for me is 6x BS + DB + BoE

Amazing DPS set bonus.
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Apocatequil View Post

Amazing DPS set bonus.
    I actually got 3 in a row tonight on the Lt :P

can't imagine getting 6
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    I actually got 3 in a row tonight on the Lt :P

can't imagine getting 6
    It results in dead creeps ^^
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Apocatequil View Post

Amazing DPS set bonus.
    Can you explain what that means in noobie captain terms? I'm not sure what BS, DB and BoE are.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001bbc76/signature.png]Warcries[/charsig]/signature.png]Warcries[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by borstan View Post
    Can you explain what that means in noobie captain terms? I'm not sure what BS, DB and BoE are.
    Battle Shout - Devastating Blow - Blade of Elendil

The newest raid armor set has a bonus where Battle Shout has a 10% chance to reset its own cool down.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

At the OP: as you noticed, the deed for "Renewed Voice" which will reduce the cooldown on Battle Shout. Basically, just keep using battle shout. You'll also get a few more attack skills so you won't be waiting on the cooldown as much as you level up.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]