We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: LOTRO download

LOTRO download

I am interested in trying LOTRO to see if it is something i will enjoy. I had a look at the trial and according to a lot of other posts, it is well over 10gb, just for the trial.

Well, i do not live in download quota free america so downloading 10gb for just a trial is out of the question.

My question is this:

I am considering purchasing the game from amazon -

h t t p://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Shadows-Angmar-Pc/dp/B000GR9P76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogame s&qid=1277722439&sr=8-1

1. Is this the correct product 'Lord of the Rings Online - Shadows of Angmar' that i should be purchasing to try out the game as a brand new player?

2. And after purchasing it, installing the game, how much of a download for patches from that installed version of the game, to the current live version that will enable me to actually log in and play it? In a rough estimate of MB or GB from DVD installed client to LIVE.

3. Are there any other extras or requirements other than the product i linked plus patches, before being able to effectively 'trial' the game, without downloading half the internet?
    Last edited by MouseNo4; Jun 28 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Re: LOTRO download

Whether you install either Shadows of Angmar (the original release) or Mines of Moria (the first expansion) from a DVD, you will still have many many gigabytes worth of patches to download and install, just to play the trial.

I believe you may be able to configure the Pando Media Booster application (which is currently used to download an almost fully patched client) to limit the amount of bandwith it uses.

If you start out with the Standard Resolution textures client, your download will be much smaller than the High Resolution textures client. You can always download the high resolution textures later, if you enjoy the game and want to do that.

The current High Resolution download is 9.79 GB (10,523,160,241 bytes) not counting the extra network protocol overhead for downloading. I'm not sure exactly how large the Standard Resolution client is.

As an alternative, you may be able to find a friend who can download the client for you and put it on an inexpensive USB flash drive which you could return to your friend later.

If shadows of angmar dvd client is perfectly fine to start off with, and i only have to download MAXIMUM 2-3gb of patches to get to a playable state, then that is what i will do. Any larger than that, and i will just skip right over LOTRO.

Hmm, your link isn't working for me. I keep getting failed to connect messages. I assume it's a boxed version of the original Shadows of Angmar game? If so I wouldn't bother with that one...not if you have strict download limits. There have been two expansions and many free content additions since the original box so you'd still need to download a lot. I'm unsure of how large a download but I'd guess around 6 gigs or more of data.

Your best bet would be to get the Mines of Moria box since it's the 1st expansion and includes the original game. Not only would it have a smaller download to update to the current game version but MoM also gives you access to the 2 newer classes, Warden and Runekeeper, which is a nice thing for anyone wanting to check the game out.

The 2nd expansion, Siege of Mirkwood, is not available in box form...it's download only and since it's part of the current game it will be included within your patching process even if you won't have access to that content.

Your only other option I can think of would be to post what city/country you're in and see if another player who lives nearby can pass/mail you a copy of theirs.
    New Player? Check out this chart for Quest Pack access for different accounts/purchases. [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427692-LotRO-Account-Quest-Pack-Access-Chart&p=5778210#post5778210[/URL]

German version here: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?429055-HdRO-chart[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000179b7/signature.png]Kualo[/charsig]

I added spaces to the http portion of the url as the link redirected was malfunctioning.

Can you give me a rough ballpark idea of how much from mines of moria boxed dvd client to current live?

I need to know this information, purely to prevent wasted bandwidth and time.
    Last edited by MouseNo4; Jun 28 2010 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MouseNo4 View Post
    I added spaces to the http portion of the url as the link redirected was malfunctioning.

Can you give me a rough ballpark idea of how much from mines of moria boxed dvd client to current live?

I need to know this information, purely to prevent wasted bandwidth and time.
    I'm not sure anyone could give you an exact number for that scenario, because the patching process doesn't give you a total size remaining to download. It only tells you the number of files remaining, and the progress on the current file. (The patching process works on a file-by-file basis, so the number can run into the thousands.) I would estimate that it is several (2-4) gigabytes to update from the Mines of Moria DVD to a completely patched client.

Keep in mind that if you are patching a client that you installed from a DVD, the patcher will be downloading the High Resolution textures.

To compare, I just checked and the full download of the current Standard Version client (almost fully patched) is 6.7 GB. Also, despite my earlier claim, Pando Media Booster does not let you limit the bandwidth it uses.

Unfortunately, if you're limited to how much you can download, MMOs really aren't the best things to play. Not only are patches often quite large, especially when installing for the first time, but you will be using a lot of bandwidth just playing the game unless you don't play very much. Also, even the downloaded clients (standard or high res) will require a lot of patching (at least another 2-4GB), so you should expect around 6GB probably for Mines of Moria boxed.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000310eff/01007/signature.png]Avanthos[/charsig]
    AMD Althon II X3 435 [color=red]|[/color] 2GB DDR3 PC1033 RAM [color=red]|[/color] 1GB GeForce 220 [color=red]|[/color] Windows 7 [color=red]|[/color] 2TB Hard Disk Space [color=red]|[/color] 7mbit Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Riamus View Post
    Unfortunately, if you're limited to how much you can download, MMOs really aren't the best things to play. Not only are patches often quite large, especially when installing for the first time, but you will be using a lot of bandwidth just playing the game unless you don't play very much. Also, even the downloaded clients (standard or high res) will require a lot of patching (at least another 2-4GB), so you should expect around 6GB probably for Mines of Moria boxed.
    I have played wow for 3.5 years, aion for 2 months and sto for another 2 months. I downloaded the wow client, its expansion and second expansion. Aion was retail and sto was fully downloaded.

I have played wow for 3.5 years, aion for 2 months and sto for another 2 months. I downloaded the wow client, its expansion and second expansion. Aion was retail and sto was fully downloaded.
    http://www.gamearena.com.au/download...ent-usoceania#

This is how i was able to download all of that. That website is a file mirror for my isp, which i am able to download from, free from my quota. However, i cannot guarantee that file, 9.9gb in size, will actually work.

bump bump.

I cant do anything until i have the answers.

I cant do anything until i have the answers.
    As Fredelas said a few posts above, there's no way that us, as players, know the exact information you're looking for. The files aren't labeled as I'maMoMtoSoMpatchfile.exe (2.1 gig) so we just don't know.

The only thing I guess you can do that hasn't already been mentioned (since I guess none of the work-arounds mentioned above are suitable to you) is for you to E-mail Customer support and ask them. Maybe in a couple weeks or a month or so they can get a reply back to you.

Since you can't do anything with the game until you know for sure the exact download/patch size I guess I'll wish you the best of luck and hope things work out better for you in whichever other game you end up.
    New Player? Check out this chart for Quest Pack access for different accounts/purchases. [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427692-LotRO-Account-Quest-Pack-Access-Chart&p=5778210#post5778210[/URL]

German version here: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?429055-HdRO-chart[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000179b7/signature.png]Kualo[/charsig]

http://www.gamearena.com.au/downloads/details.php/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-shadows-of-angmar--mines-of-moria-full-client-usoceania#

This is how i was able to download all of that. That website is a file mirror for my isp, which i am able to download from, free from my quota. However, i cannot guarantee that file, 9.9gb in size, will actually work.
    It looks to me that this is pretty likely to work. However, will only get you the original game, Shadows of Angmar, plus Mines of Moria.

As there has been 1 further expansion, and several updates, you will still have a significant set of patches to install when you first launch the game.

There is only one client regardless of what level of expansion you are at, and the only variation is between the standard and high resolution clients.

The only concrete numbers I can give you are that my LotRo folder varies between 12.6GB and 13.4GB on 2 different systems.

The best way to get the latest version of the client is directly from Turbine.

I would think that your best bet might be to persuade your ISP to update the LotRO client in their file mirror as it is clearly out-of-date. They can do that from http://www.lotro.com/support/download-lotro.

I assume you are in Australia, and are suffering from the curious fondness for download caps that seems to be popular among ISPs there. You have my sympathy.
    Last edited by mjk47; Jun 29 2010 at 09:01 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Well, i do not live in download quota free america so downloading 10gb for just a trial is out of the question.
    I live in the U.S. and have a 5GB/mo cap, so I share your problems with LotRO downloads. I would recommend finding a Moria box to buy, even used. You don't need a product key to start an account, just an install, although a key would give you the free month. I would *guess* your update from there to current would be around 3 - 3.5 GB. That is accounting for my understanding that the client will make you update through Mirkwood even if you don't buy it yet. And that seems to roughly correlate with your 9.9 GB download subtracted from the quoted install sizes, adjusted for some file overwriting.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO ~ Guide To Dual-Boxing LotRO

If I understand this correctly, Shadows of Angmar is the first game, Mines of Moria is the expansion and INCLUDES Shadows of Angmar. And Siege of Mirkwood is the 2nd expansion, so does that mean it includes Shadows of Angmar AND Mines of Moria? So getting the Siege of Mirkwood is all I would need to do? or do I still need to get all three? I'm trying the free trial and I'm liking the game so far. The warden is pretty cool :P

Quote Originally Posted by xkira View Post
    If I understand this correctly, Shadows of Angmar is the first game, Mines of Moria is the expansion and INCLUDES Shadows of Angmar. And Siege of Mirkwood is the 2nd expansion, so does that mean it includes Shadows of Angmar AND Mines of Moria? So getting the Siege of Mirkwood is all I would need to do? or do I still need to get all three? I'm trying the free trial and I'm liking the game so far. The warden is pretty cool :P
    Mines of Moria includes Shadows of Angmar. Siege of Mirkwood requires you to have Mines of Moria and is a separate purchase. Currently, you can log into your Turbine account and get Mines of Moria for free if you sign up for a subscription. You can then upgrade to Siege of Mirkwood through your Turbine account for $20. Or you can purchase the complete digital download for $30 through the Turbine Store which includes all three plus 30 days of play.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

thx for clearing that up for me. really appreciate it :P

Okay, I have a question about the download: I've been downloading it for about two hours now, and only 2% is done! Is this normal? I have a pretty new desktop computer, so I wouldn't know why it would be so slow. For now, I have the "Continue Download" desktop icon, so it's fine, but it's just a really long time to wait. Any suggestions for speeding it up? Or is something just wrong?
    Last edited by Tristophis; Jul 09 2010 at 01:53 AM.

Downloading can be slow, but it shouldn't be that slow. Your computer has virtually nothing to do with it other than possible a firewall or router issue. Downloading speed is related to your internet connection speed. An 20 year old computer could download just as fast as a top of the line computer for the most part as long as the connection is the same. You might want to cancel the download and restart it. Maybe it's timed out and isn't letting you know.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000310eff/01007/signature.png]Avanthos[/charsig]
    AMD Althon II X3 435 [color=red]|[/color] 2GB DDR3 PC1033 RAM [color=red]|[/color] 1GB GeForce 220 [color=red]|[/color] Windows 7 [color=red]|[/color] 2TB Hard Disk Space [color=red]|[/color] 7mbit Cable

Okay, thanks =) I'll try restarting it. I actually remember downloading it before (on this same computer and same internet speed) so maybe resetting it will work.

One more thing: sorry I didn't mention this before (I'm a newbie), but the download says "the Siege of Mirkwood" on it, and it has a giant beastie (like the one on the top right of the forum header). Is this download the actual game, or an expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristophis View Post
    One more thing: sorry I didn't mention this before (I'm a newbie), but the download says "the Siege of Mirkwood" on it, and it has a giant beastie (like the one on the top right of the forum header). Is this download the actual game, or an expansion?
    Everyone uses the same client, regardless of what in-game content they have access to. Since Siege of Mirkwood is the latest content that was added, that's what the client will be labelled and what graphics it will display. The product keys in your Turbine account is what determines what in-game content you will be able to access.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Okay. Thanks for the help =) It's still going slow, so I'll look at the FAQ's and see if there's anything in there that will help. This is my first "major" MMO, so I'm expecting it to be a little bit of an adventure trying to figure it all out.
    Last edited by Tristophis; Jul 10 2010 at 03:32 AM.

Are you sure ur ISP provider doesn't have a "night" or "week-end" unlimited download offer ?
    Even I, living in not so developed Ukraine, have that option with my provider. That's how I downloaded the game...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001e244e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by alexissf View Post
    Are you sure ur ISP provider doesn't have a "night" or "week-end" unlimited download offer ?
    Even I, living in not so developed Ukraine, have that option with my provider. That's how I downloaded the game...
    Heh, kinda funny that a not so developed country has better internet options and access than a majorly developed country like Australia.