We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Pitch Bends

Pitch Bends

Hey all. Just a quick question. Does anyone know of any way to get rid of all pitch bends in Anvil Studio? I really hate these things. Sometimes I can just ignore them, but sometimes they distort the notes so much that I have to remove them all so that I can adjust the notes to play correctly in LOTRO. But the only way I know of getting rid of them at the moment is to go into the event list and delete them one by one. Is there an easier way?

Re: Pitch Bends

Hmm. I've noticed that often they disappear when I do the ABC export--I use lotro midi, so maybe that fixes it?
    They also tend to be on parts that I switch over to a wind instrument, and so they may just be less noticeable in game.
    Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker

Well, they don't actually affect the abc playing in LOTRO at all. They don't convert. But the problem is that they change the sound of the note in the midi without actually changing the note. So once you convert it the note that plays in LOTRO might be completely different than the sound that played in the midi. (Am I explaining that well?) Sometimes it doesn't make a big difference and I'll just ignore them. But some songs are very heavily pitch bended so the notes come out all wrong in the abc. In those cases I remove the pitch bends so I can hear the real note clearly in the midi and then I adjust the notes in the piano roll editor to be the correct sounds that I want.

But this process is very long and tedious. Especially in the song I'm working on right now that has just tons of pitch bend entries. I wish there was an easier way to get rid of them.

I wrote a little utility to remove pitch bends:
    http://lotro.acasylum.com/files/PitchBendRemover.jar

It requires Java. You should be able to just double-click the JAR file to run it.

It does one better than just removing the pitch bend events. It can also (optionally) add filler notes for the pitch bend. For example, if a note bends from C to D, it'll add in the C# and D that would normally not be played by LotRO MIDI Player.

To hear the difference between adding filler notes and not adding them, here's a sample: http://lotro.acasylum.com/files/sandman.zip
    First listen to sandman-original.mid. There are some pitch bends near the beginning of the song.
    Next listen to sandman-nofill.mid.
    Finally listen to sandman-fill.mid to hear the filler notes.
    Digero Guardian | Digrim Burglar | Defenders of the Mithril Halls Officer
    Maestro - Convert MIDI files to ABC
    ABC Player - Preview ABC files as they sound in LOTRO

When you guys are talking pitch bends, are you talking slurred notes? or something else entirely?
    Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfriedpf View Post
    When you guys are talking pitch bends, are you talking slurred notes? or something else entirely?
    Pitch bends in MIDI are simply when the pitch changes after the note begins. It could sound like a smooth bend, or a sharp change in pitch, depending on how you use it. You would typically use it to represent musical notations like slurs, legato, glissando, portamento, or to emulate the sound of tuning an instrument, etc.
    Digero Guardian | Digrim Burglar | Defenders of the Mithril Halls Officer
    Maestro - Convert MIDI files to ABC
    ABC Player - Preview ABC files as they sound in LOTRO

Digero, a belated thank you very much for that tool. I ended up accidentally deleting the midi I was working on that was exasperating me with all the pitch bends and found another version of the song that didn't have any. But I will definitely be using this in the future as I run into songs with massive pitch bends quite a lot. Thanks!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Digero View Post
    I wrote a little utility to remove pitch bends:
    http://lotro.acasylum.com/files/PitchBendRemover.jar

It requires Java. You should be able to just double-click the JAR file to run it.

It does one better than just removing the pitch bend events. It can also (optionally) add filler notes for the pitch bend. For example, if a note bends from C to D, it'll add in the C# and D that would normally not be played by LotRO MIDI Player.

To hear the difference between adding filler notes and not adding them, here's a sample: http://lotro.acasylum.com/files/sandman.zip
    First listen to sandman-original.mid. There are some pitch bends near the beginning of the song.
    Next listen to sandman-nofill.mid.
    Finally listen to sandman-fill.mid to hear the filler notes.
    Unfortunately the link for the program Digero wrote seems to be out of date and no longer working since I was redirectred to another site entirely.

Hi,

In waiting that digero fix his tool link, you could find the PitchBendRemover.jar on this link : PitchBendRemover.jar

generously hosted by The Oathsworn of Windfola on their Playing Music in LOTRO thread.

./toasts

Zed'

Quote Originally Posted by zedrock View Post
    Hi,

In waiting that digero fix his tool link, you could find the PitchBendRemover.jar on this link : PitchBendRemover.jar

generously hosted by The Oathsworn of Windfola on their Playing Music in LOTRO thread.

./toasts

Zed'
    Thank you Zed. I appreciate the help.