We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How do I abandon a house?

I want to move.

I own a house how do I get rid of it. Be nice if I could sell it back to the housing guy at the start of the zone. Even at half price or ... anything.

I know I can't. So how do I just get rid of it so I can buy one in another location?

Re: How do I abandon a house?

On the character panel where you pay your maintenance, there is big golden Abandon House button. Push it.

You may have to log in as the owner. I can not recall if this button is available for every character on your account.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    On the character panel where you pay your maintenance, there is big golden Abandon House button. Push it.

You may have to log in as the owner. I can not recall if this button is available for every character on your account.
    Yula - That sounded so simple and so . . . sensible that I was thinking. Silly boy how could you have missed that. But here I sit with the owner of a House, in the house, with the Housing panel open to the middle tab - the 'Maintenance' tab, and I can see no abandone house button. No 'Big Golden' button. No small red button.

Maybe the house has to be in default first???

You can only abandon a house with the character that purchased the house. This is the name that appears with the house when you enter the property (if you have the show owner option enabled). From the LOTRO Housing FAQs:
    How do I abandon a house?

To abandon a house, open your Character Journal (Press C) and click on the House Tab. Click ‘Abandon House’ and confirm abandonment by entering your house’s address.

The house will be abandoned. NOTE: Only the character who purchased a house can abandon one.
    Be sure to get everything out of escrow as soon as you can. It will only be there for 2 weeks. After that it's gone for good.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Quote Originally Posted by Penter-Kar View Post
    You can only abandon a house with the character that purchased the house. This is the name that appears with the house when you enter the property (if you have the show owner option enabled). From the LOTRO Housing FAQs:
    Be sure to get everything out of escrow as soon as you can. It will only be there for 2 weeks. After that it's gone for good.
    The golden button may appear in the FAQ's. But it does not appear on my toons housing panel. Yes, it is the toon that bought the house. Right now there are two possibilities.
    1)There is no such button.
    2) It only appears if the house in in default. Which mine is not.

Are you paid up on the rent?
    [COLOR=gray][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Gandie2 View Post
    The golden button may appear in the FAQ's. But it does not appear on my toons housing panel. Yes, it is the toon that bought the house. Right now there are two possibilities.
    1)There is no such button.
    2) It only appears if the house in in default. Which mine is not.
    The FAQ says nothing about a golden button. Yula was the one that mentioned golden button. The FAQ is correct, just follow the instructions. When you go to the House tab, there will be three buttons just under the house address. From left to right they are: Abandon, Maintenance, and Permissions. These buttons are all goldish lettering in a blue background. Except for what they say, they are all identical in size and shape. If the Abandon button is not there, or greyed out, then you are on the wrong character.

One other thing that might be causing this. If you are standing in another lot/house, the panel may open to show the lot/house you are standing in instead of your own. If you are in the housing instance, be sure you are not on a house lot other than your own (or common area, which is not on anyone's lot). For example, if you own the house at 5 Long Street and are standing at 3 Long Street, you may be picking up the permissions from 3 Long Street instead of your own house.
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me

I've never done this, maybe exit the house or the neighborhood altogether? Worth a shot. Good luck.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000006a68/01008/signature.png]Hammbert[/charsig]
    Even a stopped clock gets it right twice a day...

The FAQ says nothing about a golden button. Yula was the one that mentioned golden button. The FAQ is correct, just follow the instructions. When you go to the House tab, there will be three buttons just under the house address. From left to right they are: Abandon, Maintenance, and Permissions. These buttons are all goldish lettering in a blue background. Except for what they say, they are all identical in size and shape. If the Abandon button is not there, or greyed out, then you are on the wrong character.

One other thing that might be causing this. If you are standing in another lot/house, the panel may open to show the lot/house you are standing in instead of your own. If you are in the housing instance, be sure you are not on a house lot other than your own (or common area, which is not on anyone's lot). For example, if you own the house at 5 Long Street and are standing at 3 Long Street, you may be picking up the permissions from 3 Long Street instead of your own house.
    My three tabs are 'Info' Maintenance, and Permissions. Yes I'm in my house and on the toon that bought it.

As I said in reply to the first person maybe the house has to be in default before the option to abandone shows up.

My three tabs are 'Info' Maintenance, and Permissions. Yes I'm in my house and on the toon that bought it.

As I said in reply to the first person maybe the house has to be in default before the option to abandone shows up.
    Nope. House does not have to be in default first. I just abandoned a standard house earlier this week to get a deluxe house and had no problems.

Try this. Open the Options panel and go to the Social settings. Under Housing there should be a check box to "display my home ownership information". Be sure it's checked. When you enter a property the address appears. This option also shows the name of the character that owns the house. Then leave the property (go to the neighbor's maybe). Once off, then go back onto your property and look at the owner name that appears. Make sure that's that character you have in.

If that still doesn't work, you may want to open an in-game ticket to talk to a GM about it.

okay, I think I know why you can't find the Abandon button. You may have the wrong panel opened. If you click the Maintenance panel button on the radar it opens the Maintenance Panel, which has three tabs across the top: Info, Maintenance, and Permissions. This is not what you want. You must open the Character Sheet [C], then click on the House tab. That's where you will find the Abandon button.

okay, I think I know why you can't find the Abandon button. You may have the wrong panel opened. If you click the Maintenance panel button on the radar it opens the Maintenance Panel, which has three tabs across the top: Info, Maintenance, and Permissions. This is not what you want. You must open the Character Sheet [C], then click on the House tab. That's where you will find the Abandon button.
    Yes, this was my problem. I was opening the Housing panel. The same one I've been using to pay my rent and 'Manage' everything to do with my house. Decoration. Permissions. The whole enchalada.

Why would I look in the housing interface to interface with my house?

Oh well. Does not matter at least I now know where it is.

Thank you all.

Yes, this was my problem. I was opening the Housing panel. The same one I've been using to pay my rent and 'Manage' everything to do with my house. Decoration. Permissions. The whole enchalada.

Thank you all.
    Agreed, very odd design choice (oversight). Glad you were able to accomplish your goal.
    Firgrim of Landroval

Formerly Rampage522...new name, same management.

I have never used this panel since it was attached to the character sheet unless I am managing permissions. You can only use this when you are on your property.

I always call use the character journal which is only my list across the bottom of my UI. I push it with the mouse. Select the housing tab. Abandon is the left most button. This panel is available anywhere in Middle Earth.

I have never used this panel since it was attached to the character sheet unless I am managing permissions. You can only use this when you are on your property.

I always call use the character journal which is only my list across the bottom of my UI. I push it with the mouse. Select the housing tab. Abandon is the left most button. This panel is available anywhere in Middle Earth.
    I usually use the button on the radar when I'm on the property since it's easier to get to. Set permissions, pay rent. It was the only one available when housing first came out, too. Had to go back to house to pay rent, check if it was paid up. They added the House tab to the character sheet later on to allow you to pay rent remotely (same update that gave all characters on the account the housing benefits - discount, travel to house, etc). So I hardly use the House tab in the character sheet, since I was in the habit of using the other one.

If you want to abandon your house open your character journal on the character that bought the house. From there hit the House tab...from there you should see your house's address then beneath that it says Abandon Maintence and Permissions choose Abandon

Open your character panel, click on House then Abandon.

Ah, this discussion was hugely helpful! Thanks ever so much to the ppl who contributed! I was having the same problems... many of turbines design choices are rather iffy, but at least you cleared this one up for me! Thanks again!

Thank you all.
    Thank you for having the same problem I have been struggling with, and thank you Penter for knowing the answer. You are both very patient and very generous. Good fortune to you both.

Question

Nice thread, learned a few things, thanks to all....

Question: Does the "house for sale" sign appear as soon as I abandon my house? Asking this because I want a friend to buy it as soon as I leave it
    Landroval: Kibilturg (Watchers of Elendil); Taurunion, Erohtar (Taters and Traders)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

Nice thread, learned a few things, thanks to all....

Question: Does the "house for sale" sign appear as soon as I abandon my house? Asking this because I want a friend to buy it as soon as I leave it
    No. There is a delay of up to 24 hours before the house goes on sale. There is a random timer to prevent someone from abandoning a house for the purpose of transferring the home to another character. Rumor has it that Turbine has changed the timer so they go on sale much less than 24 hours. No idea if there is any truth to this rumor. I keep meaning to test this functionality on Bullroarer. I keep forgetting to do so.

Thumbs down

There is a random timer to prevent someone from abandoning a house for the purpose of transferring the home to another character.
    To prevent exactly what I'm meaning to do. How pointless!

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Landroval: Kibilturg (Watchers of Elendil); Taurunion, Erohtar (Taters and Traders)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

The reason is between the computer and chair. click house on character panel then click the left tab that says abandon not the middle tab that says maintainance or the right tab that says permissions. problem solved.

Here is a pic of how to do it if you dont understand: http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3058/help1oj.jpg

1: House on character panel
    2: Abandon on House Panel
    Last edited by Econn; Dec 28 2012 at 12:04 PM.