We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    As i said in one other post that i'm not going to link. I rolled my second captain a few week ago and after reading stuff about how bad was to level a captain here the thoughts about the 30-ish first level. I will eventually update for the 30-50, 50-60 and 65+. Will take some times as i don't play that toon that often.

    First, I am sure some people will say that i've already rolled one and i used how slow a captain is, though after 3 years the game changed and it wasn't that slow.

    To roll that captain i decided to go on another server so i would not have (or a very few) help from other.

    The leveling from 1 to 26 was kinda linear with the Archet, Staddle, Bree, West Breeland (skipped the old forest) and bandit hub, though i did the northern breeland (orc and also the snapper soup quest) then finish with Barrows Down.

    Before leaving for the LL i make sure to grind the needed virtues in starter area (eredluin, Shire and Breeland). I don't have them in mind but i focused on the vit/morale one, determination, valour, justice loyalty and stuff (gonna relist these). No res/mit virtues as i'm not planning to do heavy instance.

    In the lone-lands i did the 3 quests hub (forgotten inn, the on by goblin and the dorf by dourhand) then i got my horse path at Ost Guruth and ported to Threstlebridge and started to do the quest there.

    I putted also some time into Crafting Vocation, chose Jooler. Now i'm halfway to master T2 and accumulating ressources to finish T2 and starting T3.

    It took 24 hour and half of game time though i did trait/virtue grind, craft grind and cash grind. Decent gear and i'm sitting with around 6g.

    I do not think it was long, hard or even difficult. It was also a lot more easier then it used to be back in pre-book9 or 10. Also even at lv25+ the mobs are still easy to kill even for a captain. It is a very interesting experience to see how the game changed since 2007 in the zone that i haven't rolled into in a while and using the captain (my personal favorite class) added a little more to the experience.

    http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/memnom/

    So i'm asking myself, do those who complaint about captain's slowlyness knows how to play or they're just repeating lies from other opinion..
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Jun 23 2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Reserved from 30-50
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    reserved for 50-60
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    reserved for 60+
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    99

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    As i said in one other post that i'm not going to link. I rolled my second captain a few week ago and after reading stuff about how bad was to level a captain here the thoughts about the 30-ish first level. I will eventually update for the 30-50, 50-60 and 65+. Will take some times as i don't play that toon that often.

    First, I am sure some people will say that i've already rolled one and i used how slow a captain is, though after 3 years the game changed and it wasn't that slow.

    To roll that captain i decided to go on another server so i would not have (or a very few) help from other.

    The leveling from 1 to 26 was kinda linear with the Archet, Staddle, Bree, West Breeland (skipped the old forest) and bandit hub, though i did the northern breeland (orc and also the snapper soup quest) then finish with Barrows Down.

    Before leaving for the LL i make sure to grind the needed virtues in starter area (eredluin, Shire and Breeland). I don't have them in mind but i focused on the vit/morale one, determination, valour, justice loyalty and stuff (gonna relist these). No res/mit virtues as i'm not planning to do heavy instance.

    In the lone-lands i did the 3 quests hub (forgotten inn, the on by goblin and the dorf by dourhand) then i got my horse path at Ost Guruth and ported to Threstlebridge and started to do the quest there.

    I putted also some time into Crafting Vocation, chose Jooler. Now i'm halfway to master T2 and accumulating ressources to finish T2 and starting T3.

    It took 24 hour and half of game time though i did trait/virtue grind, craft grind and cash grind. Decent gear and i'm sitting with around 6g.

    I do not think it was long, hard or even difficult. It was also a lot more easier then it used to be back in pre-book9 or 10. Also even at lv25+ the mobs are still easy to kill even for a captain.

    http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/memnom/

    So i'm asking myself, do those who complaint about captain's slowlyness knows how to play or they're just repeating lies from other opinion..

    I made a captain about 4 months ago, got him to 65 and geared him out all in a little over a month. It was cake. Captains are not slow to level at all. Especially once you get your archer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,354

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    I'm leveling a captain now (41) and must say it is not slow. I expected far worse based on what people had said but it is still slowER. Oddly enough I'm also leveling a hunter who is currently 48. Compare the two and yes, the captain is significantly slower at killing stuff.

    It's all relative. Things have gotten easier over the past year or two (better questing hubs, low level updates make things flow quite well). If leveling a captain is quicker these days, it's also quicker for the other 'fast leveling' classes. There is no doubt that they're not a dps class but I will agree that they're not as bad as people portray.

  7. #7

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    It's not that leveling a Captain is inordinately slow, it's that in relation to most other classes it's slow.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,607

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    I'm kinda digg'in it as it's my alt and I can get my traits and virtues and even quests in before they go grey. Alittle running around to find all the on level content( 10-20 zones) but I can Spam my skills on mobs while they are easier.
    Well, that's exaggerating, but it's sumth'in.

  9. #9

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    My second captain isn't slow either
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  10. #10

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    I have a 46th level Captain that I started at launch and haven't played in almost 3 years. So I have a pretty unique perspective. I got from 1 to 40 without ever feeling like it was too bad, although it could be sluggish at times. But at 40 it did slow down a lot for me, mainly because I just didn't have time to group. There were hardly any solo options that didn't take a while 3 years ago.

    Now I just started playing again last week and HOLY COW things have changed. There are absolutely TONS of options everywhere I go. So yeah, captains are fine...players however are sometimes not .

  11. #11

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post


    To roll that captain i decided to go on another server so i would not have (or a very few) help from other.
    Oh fine...NOW you tell me. No more gems for you, mister!
    [CENTER]

    [/CENTER]

  12. #12

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dartamis View Post
    Captains are not slow to level at all. Especially once you get your archer.
    So out of 65 levels you have 56 without the Archer, then 9 levels with it. Ouch
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001321c3/01003/signature.png]Sunnyward[/charsig]

  13. #13

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    MorningStar, I have read a number of your posts in the various threads, I like them, accurate, helpful, and relevant. I have never done traits at level personally, of course until I have no choice. Back in the day I saved tons of time heading back to the Shire and other low levels at level 50 and one shotting goblins for valour...aah but that was then.

    It has always been my thought that, based on the game, one trait, one legacy, one virtue is not making or breaking anyone. Differences come with the entire combinations in this game. That is why I waited on traits when I first started playing. Long time to kill all these gobs for virtue with no xp bonus at this point (first toon). The single valour or two is not much, but the full 10 makes the set a cornerstone of setups. And super quickto get at high levle and in these days.

    I also think that I am glad I picked captain to level first, game was new and i didn't know slow from fast, period,.And, looking back, if someone just came to LOTRO now and wants a cpt, do it, If he is slow, then blend that slowness in with learning quests and the game and the sights etc. I was interested in the lotro take on lotr, a reason I decided to play and mmo in my time of downtime in RL, which will prolly shrink to nothing at some point, as is the way of things. The I joined a kin, was an oficer, class leader adn raid leader back in the day and we all took turns levelling each other from there. That is where my minny came from, the kin's need of a healer during SoA. I hate solo levelling the minny, thanksfully you really don't need to, and plus my kin helped my minny level fast...

    So hopefully this will help some newer player wondering about cpt levelling. It is also a part of the sequal I willwrite in a second as to what;s going on in lotro after three years...

    Thanks.
    -RT

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    Oh fine...NOW you tell me. No more gems for you, mister!

    I'm sorry but did i sent you a thank you email as well ?

    I'm still waiting on Z stuff to level my champ..
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Jun 23 2010 at 10:01 PM.
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemon View Post
    MorningStar, I have read a number of your posts in the various threads, I like them, accurate, helpful, and relevant. I have never done traits at level personally, of course until I have no choice. Back in the day I saved tons of time heading back to the Shire and other low levels at level 50 and one shotting goblins for valour...aah but that was then.

    Thank you, but I like to warn people, i can be very bad as well it depend on the mood and if i would got 5$ for every good post i've done over these 3k i'd be richer !

    It has always been my thought that, based on the game, one trait, one legacy, one virtue is not making or breaking anyone. Differences come with the entire combinations in this game. That is why I waited on traits when I first started playing. Long time to kill all these gobs for virtue with no xp bonus at this point (first toon). The single valour or two is not much, but the full 10 makes the set a cornerstone of setups. And super quickto get at high levle and in these days.

    Well it make puke, thought the bits of xp you get from these deeds ease the pain. Some of them give excellent xp as well (forochel and eregion by example).

    I also think that I am glad I picked captain to level first, game was new and i didn't know slow from fast, period,.And, looking back, if someone just came to LOTRO now and wants a cpt, do it, If he is slow, then blend that slowness in with learning quests and the game and the sights etc. I was interested in the lotro take on lotr, a reason I decided to play and mmo in my time of downtime in RL, which will prolly shrink to nothing at some point, as is the way of things. The I joined a kin, was an oficer, class leader adn raid leader back in the day and we all took turns levelling each other from there. That is where my minny came from, the kin's need of a healer during SoA. I hate solo levelling the minny, thanksfully you really don't need to, and plus my kin helped my minny level fast...

    Captain is ok, but i end to prefer soloing with my minstrel. I would link a post if it hadn't get purged about the minstrel solo-capability..

    So hopefully this will help some newer player wondering about cpt levelling. It is also a part of the sequal I willwrite in a second as to what;s going on in lotro after three years...

    That's why i'm writing it.

    Thanks.
    -RT

    Waffle waffle.
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  16. #16

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    I'm sorry but did i sent you a thank you email as well ?

    I'm still waiting on Z stuff to level my champ..
    I'm still waiting for my 30g.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    I'm still waiting for my 30g.

    I dont know, my captain is like 6g richer then the champ and i've followed the same leveling path.. I just don't understand where all my Arkenstone munney went.. Or maybe Ark people are just way poorer then E people...
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post

    I dont know, my captain is like 6g richer then the champ and i've followed the same leveling path.. I just don't understand where all my Arkenstone munney went.. Or maybe Ark people are just way poorer then E people...
    I dunno? I recently rolled a capt on another server, and found that going into the final trait spec (wisdom/fidelity/innocence/loyalty/discipline) right off the bat helped a bit.... I'm harder to kill, and using http://www.burgzerg.com/virtues to help focus my leveling has helped a bit. It was fun to start out in The Shire again and become a captain of the Shire XD

  19. #19

    Re: Rolling a Captain 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    I'm sorry but did i sent you a thank you email as well ?
    Of course you did.

    I don't push for max possible virtues as I level, but I do put some thought into them. I remember the first time through the game, I was playing with virtues, made some changes, and went out and it was painful. This was at only level 30. Combat took longer, I was waiting *forever* for OOC regens. I promptly went back and retraited. That was when I realized that virtues really are useful, no matter the level.

    I figure, hey, the virtue slots are there, why not fill them as I go along...and why not fill them with something useful.
    [CENTER]

    [/CENTER]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload