We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Captain Heal Threat - Yay or Nay

Anyone have an opinion on if I should keep the captain heal threat or change it out for another leg on my main (heal based) emblem, like might/vitality/agility/will/fate or whatever is available? My 1st age emblem has a built-in 5% haeal threat reduction plus the legacy which starts at 1/9. Should I take full advantage of the aggro reduction on heals, or does it not matter that much and/or would I want heals to draw aggro (in some, many, most, more, all cases)?

What's you guys' take on that emblem legacy and the heal threat reduction for a captain in general? Yay or nay? Or depends? If it depends then it's yay or lots of legacy points/secondary emblems shifting if one time is yay, and another is nay on some other run. Also, Escape from Darkness cooldown is convenient, but almost might be a waste of points if I can get that on another LI buff weapon and switch to it when I rez...

My main emblem atm: lvl 59 to use (maxed at 60 levels but will likely delve to 70 for a few more points to spend to when I get 6 more Loth Medallions) is a first ager with base -5% threat from healing, +14 tactical Healing, -1% healing power cost

Legacies:
    a) 8/9 -11% WoC morale cost reduction
    b) 1/9 -10 Seconds Escape from Darkness Cooldown
    c) 7/10 -4 Seconds Grave Wound Cooldown
    d) 9/9 +15% Healing from Rallying Cry
    e) 9/9 +15% Melee Skills Healing
    f) 9/9 -30 Rallying Cry Cooldown
    g) 2/9 Threat from Healing Down, Rating 2

I have 1 point left over and once I delve I can max all but 1 or 2 and divide the points up between what's left and/or least important. Withthis emblem I heal decent in my 4 Ltc, 2 LoM, 1 HoH setup.

Just want to kow what you think about this, or if there is a thread on this to point to. Also, you can disregard my stats if there is a simple yay or nay answer that works and should be used. This is not as easy to change as traits... What's most efficient? (Based on this item alone - no hypotheticals, other weapons, setups necessary). My emblem allows me to heal and contribute more group-based and own damage, or really focusing my healing if needed. My 65 third age buff emblem can double if something like muster courage cooldown is really needed (DN I think, or perhaps BG?)

Thanks!
    -RT

Edited spelling, I am bad at typing...
    Last edited by Eudemon; Jun 21 2010 at 04:28 PM.

Re: Captain Heal Threat - Yay or Nay

Why do you want less threat from healing ?

Seriously, healing is part of our aggro management.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

I concur, there are a lot more times when you wish you had more healing aggro to pull mobs off of the minstrel than visa versa.

Copacetic
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000012801a/01005/signature.png]Rapacious[/charsig]

depends where you are. you dont want that threat during phase 1 in the blind one, i can assure you that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000001afe5/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "For those who don't build, must burn"
    The Immoveable Stone in your World of Weak
    Constantly Consuming, Conquer and Devour
    Awesome drips off me like Gatorade-colored UBER

What they said.

The only time I want less threat is when I manage to steal it from the guard/warden in SG thanks to the timing of skeletons coming out... I'll sometimes have more threat than the minnie, and have to hit my threat-dropping skill (assuming I don't just hit last stand/in harm's way and be done with it)
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

Don't bother with "threat down from healing" legacies. The times you need to worry about *getting* threat from healing are few, specific, and better managed with other tools/techniques.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Like the others have said I find that when I am just doing my normal role of healing I don't get much unwanted aggro but when I want aggro to kite or do other things I find using my heals an invaluable tool in doing so. In other words, I wouldn't bother with it.
    Boromil :Captain, Brandywine Server

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Thunderkiss View Post
    depends where you are. you dont want that threat during phase 1 in the blind one, i can assure you that.
    Well its situational.. I tried it once and it sure i never wished to get that effen guy on me. Though there are time where I was tanking, healing the guardian and 2 hunter in STR could not pull that guy off me ( not the Blind One but one other boss)... That's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Reillan View Post
    What they said.

The only time I want less threat is when I manage to steal it from the guard/warden in SG thanks to the timing of skeletons coming out... I'll sometimes have more threat than the minnie, and have to hit my threat-dropping skill (assuming I don't just hit last stand/in harm's way and be done with it)

Did a bad pull in there just before that dude from Mordor. We had something like 25 mobs, we won, 1 dead ( I ), though i saved the group in an epic way. I was off-tanking, kiting, and saving the minstrel butt.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

I think the same thing, thx. Usually want threat ulness its two or three odd situation, and there that might need it, I have not had any threat isues anyway. Thanks for he help all. I didn;t have threat at blndone...all shoukl bein there places if it goes righ twith the mob. If withdraw helas, that's fine, otherwise some withdrawal with melee heals will rid me of unwated aggro, or i will tell others tograb some off me at same time...out goes teh threat legacy...always knew it was not so worth itl.

Morningstar, do you mean to day why "do", or why "would" I want it?" I hven' commited to anything and I wanted peoples thoughts on the worthiness of tht leg. I never had aggro problems with blind one, so that shouold be fine. Most feel the way I do, wnting o be able to get aggro much moe often. The skill came with it, perhapsone day that skill will be ueul or else I wilfind 2nd ager. I wonder which will come first heh.

And yes, cpt is often last one standing or of the last, kiting, tanking, haling etc iof a fight goes foul. WVery nice, yeah a minny and cpr can last a prtty long while. Nie one, we can save an almost wiped rouip rezzing onor two and the thiigs you said. Nice work!

Until I hbe like 2 perfect mlemsor something, I fon't need that legacy on there, finding me agrro bouncing and heal pulling more aften then rteducung small bits of aggro. Anyojne I ak rel ired and I can't talk or make sentence aymore lol.

Thak agiain, that leg will be dropped.
    -RT

I really hate that legacy personally. It's one of those legacies (there used to be a lot more, but they deleted most of the really egregious ones) that makes it look like whoever designed it has never played the class before.

On a Captain it's fairly easy to not draw aggro if you don't want it. I have to be working fairly hard and using specific skills just to keep my threat up around the level that a Guard/Minstrel/Hunter will be naturally generating. On a Captain it's much harder to get aggro than to not get aggro, IMHO. And if you do somehow get it accidentally, well that's what Withdraw is for.

In short, in situations where you want aggro you don't want an item that has this legacy on it. It's counter-productive and you would likely switch it out for a backup item. And in situations where you don't want aggro and this legacy would be helpful, you're not going to need it anyway because it's just not that easy to pull accidental aggro on a Captain.

There are more times in which I want aggro than don't want it. Healing aggro is probably one of our best tools for pulling loose mobs off the group. Also, if you ever find a situation in which you really want to drop aggro, just use fighting withdrawal. I find that it is more than enough to drop those unwanted mobs.

I will never keep an emblem with -threat on it. The legacy is completely counterproductive and unnecessary. That's also ignoring the fact that there are so many other more useful and really awesome emblem legacies at our disposal.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000003af42/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The [B][URL="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"]Noldor[/URL][/B] of Arkenstone[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Did a bad pull in there just before that dude from Mordor. We had something like 25 mobs, we won, 1 dead ( I ), though i saved the group in an epic way. I was off-tanking, kiting, and saving the minstrel butt.
    exactly, which is why you don't want less threat. I've had similar things where everything goes horribly wrong but we manage to win because of captain awesomeness most people panic when they see a bone pile get activated, but I tell them to just ignore it and keep AoEing everything in the bigger group... skeletons die fast, meaning I can constantly chain my rallying cry
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

13. Re: Captain Heal Threat - Yay or Nay

You can use withdraw if you need to shed aggro. This is my absolute least favorite legacy as I am normally trying to push myself up the the threat list, not down. In fact, I typically overheal as a matter of course: it helps me to ensure that I will stay above the "real" healer for adds.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

OP Agrees Nay on Cpt Heal Threat Reduce - matter settled

Thanks all. I agree... I am keeping this emblem as main for the foreseeable fture so the matter is settled. I appreciate it.

-RT