We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Questions from a brand new player about captains:

Hello all, I am a veteran WoW player and played LOTRO only during beta and a bit after launch, so I'm too experienced with MMO's but almost totally new to this game. I hunted around and, since I like melee classes but also wanted to be useful as a healer/support class, I zeroed in on the captain because it seems to fit all my requirements. The general concept of the class seems perfect for me. But looking around I see a lot of threads dealing with how much of a PITA it is to level, and I'd like to know if I can level fairly easily (doesn't have to be fast) from 1-65 and still switch to a useful grouping build after I hit the max level.

TLDR: New LOTRO player, still updating the patcher, looking for advice on how it really is to level as a captain. Slow? Boring? Repetitive? Awesome?

Re: Questions from a brand new player about captains:

Honestly the only people who complain about actual leveling time probably never played when it took much more time.

But soloing can be painful...our DPS isn't very good at all. It's easy soloing, just takes a while if you're by yourself. If you get a leveling partner it'll go a ton quicker. In the end, it really won't make that much of a difference. If you're dedicated you'll be 65 in no time.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Its long but its not a huge pain,was able to solo a lot more stuff on my cappy then on my champ,yes my gears were way better but revealing mark make it really easy.If you get tired of it at lvl 30 dont give up,it doesnt last long,maybe 5 levels.
    Too lazy to figure why my signature stop working :(

Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll give it a shot. =)

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    Honestly the only people who complain about actual leveling time probably never played when it took much more time.

But soloing can be painful...our DPS isn't very good at all. It's easy soloing, just takes a while if you're by yourself. If you get a leveling partner it'll go a ton quicker. In the end, it really won't make that much of a difference. If you're dedicated you'll be 65 in no time.
    Actually, I remember playing when it took FOREVER. o.O Longest levelling of my life. Now, I'm sure levelling a Cappy wouldn't be bad at all.

Golbez is right though, it does take a while if you're by yourself. You don't plow through enemies like no tomorrow. Usually you have to be just a little wary of your pulls and stuff, but there's no harm there. Cappys are a group-based class and play that way. Of course, I fully enjoyed levelling mine. End-game, you'll enjoy grouping a LOT if you enjoy the Cappy!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a5dc0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I hit level 50 on my captain in just under 3 months after launch. July 23, 2007. I did get about a 20 level boost from the open beta. I leveled to 15 in beta then had 50 completed quests in my log waiting to be turned in. However, over the next 30 levels I did craft, getting Master Scholar before hitting 50, which did slow my leveling. I did not feel that it took "forever". If anything, I think the games current leveling is a touch too fast. Back in the day, I played EQ for over a year and my main had not yet reached end game. THAT was a game where leveling took a long time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

Honestly I recall leveling my captain as probably the most fun experience I've had so far in LOTRO...except maybe for the chance I had last night where both twins were bugged on dead tanks and I had free reign and almost finished them both off...except for being feared into fire!!!!

leveled a captian to 43 during SOA, and i have to say it was probably one of the most fun experiences i have had in a game, unfortunatly i deleted him for some reason, now i cant seem to get him past level 35

so while leveling may be "slow" just remember it is easier now than it was.

EDIT:forgot to add that once you hit around level 30, quests can be hard to find unless you bounce around zones. even then i advise doing a few skirimishes a day to help you along the way.
    Last edited by 0987654321; Jun 20 2010 at 01:51 AM.
    Lugbur, R11 Reaver ./. Guthfred, R9 Captain ./. Guthblade, R9 Chamption ./. Muzluck, R9 Warg + Various other toons of different rank and class.

Quote Originally Posted by sw1tchfoot887 View Post
    Hello all, I am a veteran WoW player and played LOTRO only during beta and a bit after launch, so I'm too experienced with MMO's but almost totally new to this game.

Lol, though ok, i'll try to give my input even if other gave theirs.

I hunted around and, since I like melee classes but also wanted to be useful as a healer/support class, I zeroed in on the captain because it seems to fit all my requirements. The general concept of the class seems perfect for me. But looking around I see a lot of threads dealing with how much of a PITA it is to level, and I'd like to know if I can level fairly easily (doesn't have to be fast) from 1-65 and still switch to a useful grouping build after I hit the max level.

The short answer is : yes !

The long answer is a lot more shady, dark and not for the faint of heart

TLDR: New LOTRO player, still updating the patcher, looking for advice on how it really is to level as a captain.

The only advice i gave always been : try by yourself and make your idea. Its a great classes. Some complaint, but most people who enjoy it doesn't post here, they are playing the game.

Slow? Not really, it was a lot more slower before

Boring? Boring ? I'm not burnt yet of this game but if it is boring, it is for all the classes.

Repetitive? Moar Boar !

Awesome? Ahh the magic word, yes captain are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post

This

Seriously the difference between classes is so insignificant about soloing that every time i read someone who say its long and painful it makes me chuckle. Yes it is a bit slower, but it ain't that slow.. Cappyno2 is on its way to mid-level (30-50) and it wasn't that bad yet. I just need some free time...

Now with extra Waffle
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Captain was my first character to level, in retrospect that is probably a good thing. My joking but true response...we're not slow, we're special.

The more focused classes get a lot of their most used skills early on. Champs, hunters kill things quick and they keep doing it through the game. The hybrids will get a couple skills for this type of task, and then a few for another...they don't really get any of their skill lines fleshed out until mid 30's.

It took me from April to December to go from 1-50 in the "elder" game, but I was doing *everything*. I tried to see all the content, got to go in the various dungeons along the way, worked on the slayer deeds for traits while in an area, etc. Subsequent characters have been much faster because I pick and choose--if the character won't really need that deed and I've seen the content, we pass through.

Captains may take longer to get through mobs, but there are fewer situations where you'll be running away. Pick your pulls, go ahead and use the herald as bait, etc. I know people with other classes that know where just about every rez circle (revive point) is in the game. My captain really only had to find a few, and most of those associated with tough group-needed areas.

Captains also aren't the "stars" of a group. We make *everyone* better, and it adds up. The few times you will get "congrats" on a job done are when you join a group that has been beating their heads against something, and the group finishes it with flying colors after you join.

When you get the heavy armour skill at 20 be sure to swap out armour. It makes a big difference for this melee class.

If you are about leveling fast, there are other characters better at that (warden, hunter are probably the swiftest levelers). If you don't mind the speed, and don't mind waiting for the class to come together at a later stage, then captains are quite awesome.

Heralds: They can be annoying, the pathing for "pets" in the game isn't stellar. However, heralds aren't that bad. Learn what the different combinations of settings do.

One final note...about the "screaming": we use several yells/cries. You get the greater percentage of them early on. You'll be yelling a lot in the lower levels, but as you earn other skills to fill in, that won't be such an issue. The yells are controlled by your combat sound slider. Go ahead and turn it down if the yells are annoying. The default is pretty high anyway, and if you group much the combat sounds are going to probably drown out any in-game voice chat, so just set it lower now.

ETA: Skirmishes really help with leveling now. You can get through big chunkes of xp and make some pretty good coin doing it.
    Last edited by Lupini; Jun 21 2010 at 11:44 AM.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I second what Lupini said about getting into heavy armor right away, I also think it's best for cappies to have the best, hardest hitting weapon at all times as well. We don't have as many attacks as other classes, so it's important to hit hard all the time.

You can also right click on your herald's abilities so that they do them on their own. Once I learned this, the herald worked better for me and I could concentrate on the fight. Don't right click on the herald's heal though, you don't want them spamming that. Also make sure the herald is on guard mode. Nothing worse than an agressive herald.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000012d6/01003/signature.png]Ancaliman[/charsig]

Captains are survivors, lvling up can be hard but use your heralds carefully. IE charge a herald in there to attack and loot the item while mobs beat him down. As you get the hope herald, it will provide lot more survivability to soloing, that with revealing mark and you can kill any mob with twice your HP without taking much damage. Goblins will definitely be the PITA, just because they run away alot. I found lvling up captains to be less frustrating than RKs, mainly cus I'm used to being in middle of 3 mobs and surviving.

So: Slow and steady, ull be happy when u get revealing mark and solo just about any type of mob. Might take a month or month and half to lvl to 65 with a good and easy pace.
    Last edited by witchking782; Jun 21 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking782 View Post

So: Slow and steady, ull be happy when u get revealing mark and solo just about any type of mob. Might take a month or month and half to lvl to 65 with a good and easy pace.

a month and a half!!!?
    Wow..I wish I had your play time,.!

I would most certainly be slow and steady,.as I only get to play a few hours a week here an there this summer.

Let me Piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one:

I am toying around with a cappy alt in preparation for the F2P release.

I want to make a BUffer as primary,..I believe it is whatever the Herald line is,..

I am hoping the game is decent enough to allow me to put all my efforts to a buff cappy yet still be able to solo ok. I dont care if I take awhile,..I hope to be grouping anyways at that time.

I looked at the Cappy sticky guides but they kinda glossed over any Buff build,..its all heal and dps. Any buff advice? What are stats & Virtues needed for a buff build?

thanks

There isn't really a "buffing line". Just traits. And only one of them is good enough to trait full time.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by Beschutzer View Post
    a month and a half!!!?

I would most certainly be slow and steady,.as I only get to play a few hours a week here an there this summer.

Let me Piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one:

I am toying around with a cappy alt in preparation for the F2P release.

I want to make a BUffer as primary,..I believe it is whatever the Herald line is,..

I am hoping the game is decent enough to allow me to put all my efforts to a buff cappy yet still be able to solo ok. I dont care if I take awhile,..I hope to be grouping anyways at that time.

I looked at the Cappy sticky guides but they kinda glossed over any Buff build,..its all heal and dps. Any buff advice? What are stats & Virtues needed for a buff build?

thanks
    Captains will always buff well. You don't trait to buff better -- you just plain buff well. What your traits will focus on is more of a DPS line, a healing-type line, and a line that will strengthen your herald. I did the DPS line because I enjoyed those traits more. I say play around with them, but know you'll always do awesome buffing!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a5dc0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

a month and a half!!!?

Took me a bit less then 1 month only to level to 50 back at release, though it took me 3 month to get my butt raid ready.. Anyway it ain't too bad, seriously i'm leveling a new captain at the moment and i should post more about how time it takes and stuff that woudl give people a good gauge on how it really is. Then you will complaint there are better player then you
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by SonofInnocence View Post
    Captains will always buff well. You don't trait to buff better -- you just plain buff well. What your traits will focus on is more of a DPS line, a healing-type line, and a line that will strengthen your herald. I did the DPS line because I enjoyed those traits more. I say play around with them, but know you'll always do awesome buffing!
    Well that is reassuring. Thanks!
    I need to lookup the helard line.

Thanks for the help all.

So it looks likeherald line is what id initially go for. I really don't wanna be uber healer, I play a mini now,..if I wanted to heal I play my minni heehee

I see what u mean as far as always being an excelent buffer with tactics.
    And the cure skills look good to. Least they're other than heals
    Last edited by Beschutzer; Jun 22 2010 at 01:39 AM.

Cure skills...plural? We remove fear, that's it. We re-motivate people (heal), but don't have any other cure/removal skills.

This is something I don't understand...does it come from other MMO's? This desire to start worrying about trait lines at level 10? LoTRO does not lock you into a trait set up...as long as you have the traits finished and have coin for a bard, you can change things all day long.

Lower level characters of any class should just finish their class deeds for traits, and equip the traits what work as you go along. Start worrying about a "line" after 50 when you've some experience and realize what works for *your* play style. Some of the traits that people talk about working towards at level 10 don't even have the deeds open up until later. To make the most out of a line you need the capstone trait--which also isn't going to happen until after 55.

Shoo...go play! Learn your class. Worry about traits later.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    Cure skills...plural? We remove fear, that's it. We re-motivate people (heal), but don't have any other cure/removal skills.

This is something I don't understand...does it come from other MMO's? This desire to start worrying about trait lines at level 10? LoTRO does not lock you into a trait set up...as long as you have the traits finished and have coin for a bard, you can change things all day long.

Lower level characters of any class should just finish their class deeds for traits, and equip the traits what work as you go along. Start worrying about a "line" after 50 when you've some experience and realize what works for *your* play style. Some of the traits that people talk about working towards at level 10 don't even have the deeds open up until later. To make the most out of a line you need the capstone trait--which also isn't going to happen until after 55.

Shoo...go play! Learn your class. Worry about traits later.
    Yeah yeah,..I know,..and I would,..but I have been stuck working these days, no time to really play and wanted to make small talk. I like you guys, c'mon!

anyho,..I did browse upon this which i found very useful,.

captain_traits

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    This is something I don't understand...does it come from other MMO's? This desire to start worrying about trait lines at level 10? LoTRO does not lock you into a trait set up...as long as you have the traits finished and have coin for a bard, you can change things all day long..

Yes it comes from other MMO or simply games. Frankly i prefer games with limitless or close to limitless way to customize my toon, i hate to be limited into a path.. SoA time was better for that, we had to draw the build..
    [/COLOR]

...no time to really play and wanted to make small talk. I like you guys, c'mon!
    Well ok then, if you just want to natter.

anyho,..I did browse upon this which i found very useful,.

captain_traits
    Fun site, I hadn't seen it before. The comics are cute.

http://www.lotroinfo.com/soultro_008 He he...
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]