We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Stuck in a Moria rut

I am not sure what site/forum post exactly I followed, but at 45 I dutifully went and completed Volume 2 Book 1, and donned by shiny new legendary items. While I was at it, I went and completed all of Eregion, bringing me up nicely to 48, when I plunged into Moria.

I've managed to hack, slash, run, die, and revive my way through 6 levels in there solo, fighting mostly yellows and oranges, doing solo only yellow and orange quests.

Now at level 54, I'm finding out (the hard way), I dove into Moria too early. I've exhausted the quest content for my level, and every quest is back to being yellow or orange (all of my remaining quests are in waterworks, flaming deeps, and the redhorn lodes). Even worse, that yellow and orange content, even though listed as solo, can sometimes quickly get me killed as a solo captain since my DPS just is not up to snuff, and in the minute or two it takes me to kill something, some patrol will wander by and add to the fight. A for-instance was getting to the "bat cave" quest in durin's way. None of that was hard. It just took me 45min to kill my way to the cave, dying once to a surprise patrol, and almost every other fight requiring a healing + power potion. It just doesn't seem right, after 48 previous levels of feeling "awesome" as a captain.

I went back out to Forochel and Angmar, thinking maybe doing blues and green quests would help me over this rut, but to no avail. Killing greens that net me 12 xp per kill, and finishing quests that grant me under 1k xp just won't do it.

I understand at 56 we get the archer pet, and that will make life a little easier DPS-wise, but how do I get from here to there?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance, as this is a small rough patch in an otherwise brilliant class experience for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001d581f/01008/signature.png]Exarch[/charsig]

Re: Stuck in a Moria rut

Yeah, you did head into Moria a bit early. I recommend toons hold off until 51/52 but what can ya do right?

There are plenty of quests in Moria. Leveling may not be as fast as you have been used to since you might have to run around a lot but that's ok.

As for quests...
    - Do you mind skirmishes? If you don't hate them doing 1 per play session would help you get through your drought.
    - How far into Moria are you? Have you done all of: Chamber of the Crossroads, Silvertine Lodes, The Water-works, Redhorn Lodes, Jazargund, the few quests from the 21st?
    - Location/quest deeds give XP as well. Maybe head back to a place you've finished and pick up all the marker flags.
    - Where are you in the Epic quests? Now might be a good time to get caught up. With how much it sounds like you've finished you should probably be finishing up book 3.

- If you haven't started the flaming deeps yet you might want to wait until you are about lvl 55.
    - Have you done the Treasury yet? (lvl 56 full fellow, quests from silvertine lodes)
    - At 57 You should do a full Grand Stair quest run. Between the ~17 quests, all the deeds, and kills you should net ~220k+ XP in less than 2 hours. Note: The prereq is a quest called "Back and Forth" that you get from Narfi in the 21st hall (across from the vault bunker). That sends you to the Redhorn Lodes and back to get "Enemies of Lothlorien". From that you can go back to the Orc-Watch and pick up the quests for GS.
    - By the time you are 57/58 you can: Finish up the Flaming Deeps (if you haven't yet), head into the Foundations of Stone (gets difficult and its easy to get lost, so maybe find someone else to help) or head out to Lothlorien. Most will tell you to head out to Lothlorien as it's fairly easy and outdoors again.

Good luck!
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

FWIW, there are 3 repeatable level 55 IXP quests in Bree-land in the Weather Hills. I don't know if you get XP if you repeat them, but at least you could get the quest XP once and work on your LIs while you're at it.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffa500]Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (finally!) BA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Clarysta [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#ee82ee]- Lvl 100 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4[/COLOR]
    [I]Twitter - @clarystainsun[/I]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    I am not sure what site/forum post exactly I followed, but at 45 I dutifully went and completed Volume 2 Book 1, and donned by shiny new legendary items. While I was at it, I went and completed all of Eregion, bringing me up nicely to 48, when I plunged into Moria.

I've managed to hack, slash, run, die, and revive my way through 6 levels in there solo, fighting mostly yellows and oranges, doing solo only yellow and orange quests.

Now at level 54, I'm finding out (the hard way), I dove into Moria too early. I've exhausted the quest content for my level, and every quest is back to being yellow or orange (all of my remaining quests are in waterworks, flaming deeps, and the redhorn lodes). Even worse, that yellow and orange content, even though listed as solo, can sometimes quickly get me killed as a solo captain since my DPS just is not up to snuff, and in the minute or two it takes me to kill something, some patrol will wander by and add to the fight. A for-instance was getting to the "bat cave" quest in durin's way. None of that was hard. It just took me 45min to kill my way to the cave, dying once to a surprise patrol, and almost every other fight requiring a healing + power potion. It just doesn't seem right, after 48 previous levels of feeling "awesome" as a captain.

I went back out to Forochel and Angmar, thinking maybe doing blues and green quests would help me over this rut, but to no avail. Killing greens that net me 12 xp per kill, and finishing quests that grant me under 1k xp just won't do it.

I understand at 56 we get the archer pet, and that will make life a little easier DPS-wise, but how do I get from here to there?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance, as this is a small rough patch in an otherwise brilliant class experience for me.

Rested XP for skirmishes.
    Finish Water-works then
    head to redhorn lodes do some there then,
    head to flaming deeps then
    shift between RL and FD until all the quests are done, you should be easily 58, head to FS and do the first part there skip the group quest
    head out in lorien and follow the line.

I did the same mistake on my LM and it has been a bit harder but at the moment you have a lot of tools to make the leveling easy, also all the deeds in eregion give tons of xp.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Rested XP for skirmishes.
    Finish Water-works then
    head to redhorn lodes do some there then,
    head to flaming deeps then
    shift between RL and FD until all the quests are done, you should be easily 58, head to FS and do the first part there skip the group quest
    head out in lorien and follow the line.

I did the same mistake on my LM and it has been a bit harder but at the moment you have a lot of tools to make the leveling easy, also all the deeds in eregion give tons of xp.
    You can also repeat the dolven view lvl 54 instances (you can find or buy the infused garnets needed to run this). This has the side benefit of getting you faction rep. That and skirmishes could keep you busy if the suggestions of others above doesn't work for you. And GS isn't a very hard instance, once you are 56 or so you could join groups going there and do well assuming you are interested in radiance gear and other pretty good drops you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    You can also repeat the dolven view lvl 54 instances (you can find or buy the infused garnets needed to run this). This has the side benefit of getting you faction rep. That and skirmishes could keep you busy if the suggestions of others above doesn't work for you. And GS isn't a very hard instance, once you are 56 or so you could join groups going there and do well assuming you are interested in radiance gear and other pretty good drops you get there.

Aye, these isntance.. right..

Oh and about GS, if you do an quest/deed run you can do close to a level with 2 run.. (counting the quest xp as well).
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]