We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Cappy Troubles = Heartbroken

So I haven't played my Captain in quite a while (rolled a warden and LOVING it). But I wanted to go back to him. I've been playing around with traits and have taken advice from many different people. I've traited LtC, HoH, LoM, etc... and have done everything in between.

Suddenly I find myself just plain stuck. I used to ADORE my cappy and now I find fighting with him is way too dragged out, I find him ineffective soloing, and so slow and un-fun to play. I don't know what changed. Did the warden ruin me?

Anyway, just throwing that out there to see people's thoughts. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a5dc0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Cappy Troubles = Heartbroken

Captain DPS was pretty heavily dinged not long back. Unfortunately, we do solo a lot more slowly than other classes, again.

That said, because you have HoH, chances are nothing can possibly kill you while soloing. Captain is second only to - you guessed it - Warden in that department.

But it's also worth mentioning that your Warden's DPS will drop significantly in the very near future, and perhaps your captain will start feeling more respectable.

Make sure you get Pressing Attack targets on your LI. This will help you feel like you're doing something, as you'll get to do huge swaths of AoE destruction. Battle shout cooldown should be traited so you can pop it every 15 seconds. Make sure also to get Telling Mark on the same weapon, and apply the 10% telling mark damage buff on your primary target. It makes a big difference. Finally, since you're soloing, you might consider grabbing a War Banner to increase your DPS.

Hope that helps.
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by SonofInnocence View Post
    So I haven't played my Captain in quite a while (rolled a warden and LOVING it). But I wanted to go back to him. I've been playing around with traits and have taken advice from many different people. I've traited LtC, HoH, LoM, etc... and have done everything in between.

Suddenly I find myself just plain stuck. I used to ADORE my cappy and now I find fighting with him is way too dragged out, I find him ineffective soloing, and so slow and un-fun to play. I don't know what changed. Did the warden ruin me?

Anyway, just throwing that out there to see people's thoughts. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I don't play my captain because of..

Doing Summer stuff

Playing Warhammer
    Playing DDO
    Leveling my other toons on Windy
    Leveling my 2nd captain on Elendilmir or 2nd Champ on Ark.. (but shht.. its a sekret)....

Though it is not a question that i like or don't like, its not about captain are slow and other classes are better or vice-versa.

But when i don't play my cappy i'm more: " well i could do that, or this and that and god, that other captain plain suck at video games.. /commit_suicide "..

But about the overall game, lotro is slower then other MMO ( i quote the other that i play above ) and that would be the only thing that annoys me. Though i never care about which classes i'm playing for me its all the same..
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Jun 14 2010 at 01:35 PM.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Yes.. I have issues with the slow DPS on a captain as well. Mine is currently sitting at lvl 61 and I'm trying to talk myself into taking him to 65. Pretty sure my LM could out DPS my captain. Then again, I'm also traited HoH because I heard that was the best. I might try going Lead the Charge or using the pet line while solo and see if that speeds things up.
    Meneldor: Aryawyn * Bladebunny * Lithraen * Nightchill * Dunsparrow * Zorroxanne * Teensy * Nyota * Sugarboosh * Bearbarella

I have a few questions so people have a better understanding of the situation which will help you get more focused suggestions:

A) What level is your captain?
    B) What are your attributes like on your captain?
    C) If leveling up, are you soloing or fellowing?
    D) Are you using banners or heralds and are you maximizing their effectiveness?

In my experience it is best to slot all the damage/crit traits when leveling and gear your captain appropriately (might, agility, and vitality over will and fate). You have to remember that captains are one of the slowest fighters in the game but slotting the right gear will help you DPS and crit more to help. Also don't forget to autoattack to save power.
    Thanks,

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000b138e/01007/signature.png]Malranphor[/charsig]

When I solo on the captain, I use a herald and make him my shield brother-- opens up a few skills I can use to strike more often. I recently went stupid and started up a whole slew of baby toons, obviously repeating classes since I have all 9 at 65 already...

The first time through on a captain was slow and painful until I hit 40 and started grouping more... the second time through, still soloing 95% of the time, it SEEMS to be going much faster and easier, possibly because I just understand the class better and am more comfortable with my skills. While my lowbie captain certain does not DPS anything near as fast as my lowbie hunter or lowbie champion, he isn't doing badly either and I am enjoying the experience a ton more than I did the first time through.

Note that even on the my 65 captain, when I solo I tend to favor using a herald over the banner for the added strike skills.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DJKraftmatic View Post
    I have a few questions so people have a better understanding of the situation which will help you get more focused suggestions:

A) What level is your captain?
    B) What are your attributes like on your captain?
    C) If leveling up, are you soloing or fellowing?
    D) Are you using banners or heralds and are you maximizing their effectiveness?

In my experience it is best to slot all the damage/crit traits when leveling and gear your captain appropriately (might, agility, and vitality over will and fate). You have to remember that captains are one of the slowest fighters in the game but slotting the right gear will help you DPS and crit more to help. Also don't forget to autoattack to save power.
    Sure! I'd love to clarify!

A) 63
    B) Attributes are as follows:
    Valour - 6
    Justice - 5
    Loyalty - 9
    Empathy - 8
    Innocence - 5

Was working on them a while back. The hard part is that deeding is boring beyond belief. I just don't like subjecting myself to "boring" when I'm playing a game for fun. Haha.

C) I'm usually soloing, if not duoing with a minnie (my wife)
    D) I was using banners and decided that I just really don't enjoy them so much. I prefer having a herald with me (in spite of their stupidity) just because I always enjoyed playing with some kind of "pet" beside me. With banners I had a hope banner (max critted) and used it constantly. Now I've tried switching over to an archer. I enjoy soloing once in a while, but skirmishes seem useless (of course that brings on to the fact that I have a sage and skirms came out way after I had gotten to my 60's, so bringing up a warrior will take quite some time). As for maximizing their effectiveness... what do you mean?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a5dc0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Effectiveness comes from the class traits you slot...like improved banners or extra to arms duration and other herald-related class traits to help make your herald survive longer and do more damage.

Questing with others helps speed things up tremendously.
    Thanks,

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000b138e/01007/signature.png]Malranphor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    2nd Champ on Ark.. (but shht.. its a sekret)....
    omg...are you beefstorm???

Captain DPS makes soloing slow, yeah. but I play it so that I can group, much more fun that way
    Kraken, Thesungodra

I have found soloing slow but tolerable with HoH. With the way I have set up my captain I am still able to handle level 65 elite solo or up to 8 same level normal mobs at one time. I have found it goes a little faster soloing if you grab 4 or 5 mobs at once as the weapon I am using will hit all 5 of them at once with Pressing Attack and can AOE + stun 4 of them with Routing Cry. It just seems to go faster that way.
    I also use a banner of Hope and use marks on them depending on what the feel of the fight is at the time. In addition to that, I have 15 seconds on Rally Cry and bonuses to all vocal heals at +15% with self heal on Muster Courage instead of being able to call a herald.

Hope this will give you some ideas on soloing to make it faster and more fun.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/Ellandor][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000000c4fc/01002/signature.png]Ellandor[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://dawningeclipse.shivtr.com]Dawning Eclipse[/url]
    “I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift.”

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    omg...are you beefstorm???
    Can you explain what a beefstorm is ? You are scarrying me out.. Though I googled "beefstorm sekret" and i got something even more scarrier..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Can you explain what a beefstorm is ? You are scarrying me out.. Though I googled "beefstorm sekret" and i got something even more scarrier..
    haha no nothing like that, he's a champion on our server, and he's leveling...figured maybe it could be you
    Kraken, Thesungodra

OP - Captain may just not be for you. Warden has a lot of cool gambits to do, cappy just has a few attacks you do over and over again. Captains are at their finest in groups and if you're soloing most of the time, or duoing at best; a warden, champ, or hunter might be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAncaliman View Post
    OP - Captain may just not be for you. Warden has a lot of cool gambits to do, cappy just has a few attacks you do over and over again. Captains are at their finest in groups and if you're soloing most of the time, or duoing at best; a warden, champ, or hunter might be your best bet.
    That's a sad realization I may be coming to. :-( I remember loving him so much, and now I find it hard to play him for more than 10 minutes without feeling dissatisfied. I think you may be completely right.

Slow? I've rarely had time to notice - I find her such fun to play!

A) What level is your captain? She's now 65

B) What are your attributes like on your captain? I'm at work, but from memory she's traitied Determination, Empathy (soon to be Discipline), Valour (possibly going to become Wisdom), Idealism and Loyalty. Early on she stacked Might, Agility, Vitality (in that order) as an answer to the reported slow soloing. I also used her to farm SM points to trade for class quest items for my alts as it's such fun to run an archer herald/archer soldier combo - and this whipped her through many mid-range levels.

I've also found watching and answering lff a hoot (something I rarely did on my hunter). Having learnt the content on my hunter, my cappy can lend immensely appreciated help to people struggling. And the amount of heartfelt thanks she's received for blessing passers-by with gratuitous buffs has been hugely rewarding.

In the late 60s I started swinging her hard into HoH and she now sports Vitality, Agility Might, (the reverse) with Fate and Willl fairly even not far below the Might. This means she's became a great group healer/crisis manager at just the right time to tackle Moria radiance armour instances.

C) If leveling up, are you soloing or fellowing? She does plenty of solo work, but I'm really enjoying using her in groups and this has helped her level like a rocket, actually outpacing many of the people she's helped along.

D) Are you using banners or heralds and are you maximizing their effectiveness? I actually use my archer whenever soloing, unless she's going to aggro mobs onto me. The range helps, and she often opens with a hit of 600 points - very helpful, as I can heal her through most of anything we're likely to meet soloing.

Wardens - I've seen 'em. Not a class that interests me.

haha no nothing like that, he's a champion on our server, and he's leveling...figured maybe it could be you

No, not I.

I thought i sent you an in-game mail.. i guess not.. Next time though..
    [/COLOR]

I share your pain. I took the captain out for some solo work and questing (dailies) yesterday. After two months of running only my Warden I wanted to delete my captain. Quite frankly, they suck solo and really only shine in groups.

The DPS is too slow, the attacks are much slower, and the only really boon they have for solo'ing over a warden is Last Stand.

Then again, 20 mins later I ran SG with 2 Champs, A Burg, Hunter, OP Guard, and Myself. Main healing SG is tons of fun, something you can't do on a warden.
    Second Marshal Hurth
    Skill and Valour
    Landroval

Sure! I'd love to clarify!

Was working on them a while back. The hard part is that deeding is boring beyond belief. I just don't like subjecting myself to "boring" when I'm playing a game for fun. Haha.
    Skirmishing might help take some of the boredom out of deeding. Many of the zone kill deeds can be earned by killing things in skirmishes, and they will be on level, rather then farming greys. Plus you can use some of your group skills on the NPC helpers or your soldier.

I was leveling up my warden alt the other day. Every time I killed something I wanted to hit an on-defeat skill. Took a while to break the habit. I have a host of alts. My favorite tends to rotate, just because one is not a fun as it once was, doesn't mean it won't be fun later.
    Barlen Strongarm, [COLOR="Cyan"]Azure Mist[/COLOR]. Arkenstone
    [COLOR="Green"]3 Chalk St. Waterly, Shire homesteads.[/COLOR]

It is funny to read comparison between 2 classes that has different archetype..
    [/COLOR]

Your warden is only 47... wait a few levels and he will get boring, too. Captains just get boring earlier on :/

Quote Originally Posted by Pyropax View Post
    Your warden is only 47... wait a few levels and he will get boring, too. Captains just get boring earlier on :/
    Haha. My warden just might get boring. If that happens, CHAMP here I come. Haha.

Captain was boring in his 30's, and then he got better. But now at 63, he's the most boring thing to play ever unless I'm grouping (as many have mentioned).

So the Warden may end up the same way? Hopefully I won't feel that since he's the highest leveled alt I've ever had in any game. But we shall see what happens.

Haha. My warden just might get boring. If that happens, CHAMP here I come. Haha.

Captain was boring in his 30's, and then he got better. But now at 63, he's the most boring thing to play ever unless I'm grouping (as many have mentioned).

So the Warden may end up the same way? Hopefully I won't feel that since he's the highest leveled alt I've ever had in any game. But we shall see what happens.
    Unfortunately, as you reach a higher level you will likely have all the gambits memorized by heart (as well as how to form them with your masteries). When this happens, a lot of the novelty of the class wears off. Your builders just seem like an obstacle in between you and your gambits, and you start realizing, "Hey, it's cool that I have to press 5 buttons in the right order for this skill, but it is just a basic heal-over-time." While some classes, like the lore-master, become more rewarding as you learn to play them well, the warden becomes less so.

I'm not trying to be a doom-and-gloomer here, but it just seems that many players lose interest in their characters at higher levels - specifically above level 50 or so (this is happening with my 57 RK, and I'm trying to fight it as best as I can). So the cappy troubles may not be cappy troubles at all, but LoTRO troubles, or even MMO troubles. If this is the case, I would just focus exclusively on grouping for your cappy and try to ignore solo content the best you can. Otherwise, just forget about the captain and play your warden, if that's what makes you happy. There's no reason to work on a class that you don't like, period. And who knows, following the suggestions of other people in this thread may help. But just remember that whatever you are doing, you should be having fun. And making orcs suffer. :P

I had the same exact situation as the OP. I came back to game 4 months ago and my captain was 35. I got him to 47 with the legendary weapons and IDOME being the carrot on the stick. It wasnt too bad but was very slow and that was with red traits. He had very good virtues, might/agi/vit gear and used banner with SfW trait for heals. It just didnt seem like enough.

So for kicks I decided to level a warden. WOW, I am now 56 and still enjoying it. I havent seen a DPS slowdown at all. I think he kills almost fast as my hunter did and infact I have confidence to roll up on 3-4 oranges at once where I was always terrified on my Hunter vs 2+ mobs. EoB + desolation + resolution is fun. Masteries (unlock 1 deed at 40? & 2 @ lvl 50 but will take 10 days to finish) refresh the class because its a whole new combat system imo.

If you get bored with warden(and if you have GB key) go run GB a few times. The aoe leeches are fun when you have 30+ on you. Give boss drops to alts or sell for some decent coin (trash alone sells for 250-300s)

I tried playing on my captain again and the experience is ruined. I want to get him to 65 because I do enjoy healing and group play but the soloing is just too slow. Not enough skills, long cooldowns on those skills and weak damage. I hope in teh fall they boost their damage and I will come back and finish him up.

It may be my gear(?) but my warden churns through 3.5k hp mobs in 20s and I barely lose any of my HP and i am shield traited, i have a feeling spear would be quicker but may lose a little more hp overall.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000020799/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

hmm i added some of your alt to my friend list but it didn't seem that you were online last night.. (dun dun dun)..

Anyway i did not play that long, i barely touched my compy last night..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Pyropax View Post
    Unfortunately, as you reach a higher level you will likely have all the gambits memorized by heart (as well as how to form them with your masteries). When this happens, a lot of the novelty of the class wears off. Your builders just seem like an obstacle in between you and your gambits, and you start realizing, "Hey, it's cool that I have to press 5 buttons in the right order for this skill, but it is just a basic heal-over-time." While some classes, like the lore-master, become more rewarding as you learn to play them well, the warden becomes less so.
    I'm actually enjoying warden more than captain; ever since the weapon speed change, capn has felt like he's swinging a wet noodle, not a halberd. Warden can kill a mob considerably faster than capn with archer, and there isn't the constant buffs maintainance to deal with.

With warden, you can change up what you are doing to a fair degree; I usually do dps (spear spec), but will pull aggro if needed, either single target, aoe, or threat xfer.
    When not tanking, positioning matters for Wages of Fear. Jav skills allow more of a ranged option than captain has (especially with legacies: 36m skills, 2s ambush). Some stealthing - two choices since warden is an elf.
    Still working on a shout-dot rotation for those pesky Moving Targets.

I have a second lowbie captain as well, and even twinked he's still effectively wielding a wet noodle; as opposed to the hunter I started recently, who with only quest/drop gear goes through content faster and more easily. (Admittedly, I keep wanting to Ambush mobs.)
    Captain just really needs more damage output IMO, and red traitline doesn't cut it, and neither does the archer who with full pet traits/top armament is roughly an equal match for a normal mob around 10 levels below me (grey con) on his own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast