We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Skirmish Horn Is So Annoying!

OMG, I just did Amon Sul and this ridiculous horn blasts between every wave of mobs. I had to turn my speakers off. It's ridiculously loud. Who thought that was a good idea? There were a few posts about it in the thread about the worst sounds in the game, but that thread was apparently purged. There was also a thread titled Number 1 Required Fix / Change for us that talked about the horn, but it too was apparently purged as clicking the Google link doesn't go anywhere. That poster summed up my feelings perfectly:
    The sound effect before each wave in skirmishes is probably one of the single most annoying sounds I have EVER had to deal with.... and it is constant. PLEASE for the love of god and all things LOTR's... Give us a way to mute or turn off this sound. I really don't enjoy playing with all of my game sounds muted just so I can keep my sanity.

The sound controls in this game have enough problems as it is.. (turning some down have little to no effect)...

For example. I am currently set to .12 on EVERY single slider... I can barely hear anything in the game... but when that skirmish horn sounds OVER and OVER... it echos through my room and the entire house... causing ears to bleed for anyone within 100 feet!
    Can anyone tell me which volume slider controls this horn? I've read that it's the combat volume. I've also read that it is the player music volume control. I guess I can try to mess with it during the skirmish and see if I can figure it out. I really hope it's the player music control. I can live with turning that one down to almost nothing. I do not want to have to mute my combat sounds. Please Turbine, drop the volume on that thing.

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Post Re: Skirmish Horn Is So Annoying!

I learned awhile back that the Skirmish horn sound is adjusted through the Player Music slide. So if you've had that cranked up to hear someone playing /music .abc, it's gonna be loud. So turn that down and the horn will go down in loudness.
    [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo][B][COLOR=#ff0000]!<3?![/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]Wargs Rule![/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][B]!?<3! [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#4169e1]But only because we have no playable feline races.[/COLOR][/I][/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][RIGHT][CENTER][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=plum]???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=plum][B][I][COLOR=magenta]*s6u!s*[/COLOR] [/I][/B][/COLOR][B][COLOR=plum]¡[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=plum]?w ?o[/COLOR][COLOR=indigo] [COLOR=red]?[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=plum]s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3[/COLOR][B][COLOR=red]?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=lightblue][COLOR=magenta]Founder & Altoholic:[/COLOR] playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]*Jingle Jangle!*
    [U][COLOR=#ed2669]A "lifetime" of play on: [B]Elendilmir (RIP)[/B], Crick, Landy, & more. [/COLOR][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT]

Re: Skirmish Horn Is So Annoying!

Still pretty loud, but that did seem to help, thanks.

I've been complaining to Turbine about the hockey buzzer/horn since beta. Kinda given up.

I've had the game on mute for well over 9 months. Turned it back on recently to hear some player music and shortly thereafter did a skirmish, One honk of that atrocious horn and it was back on mute. I tend to listen to discographies during my game time. Recently got through Led Zeppelin. Personal preference I guess.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220401000012ff30/signature.png]Mudpiez[/charsig]

Contre l'assaut de rire, rien ne peut resister

Quote Originally Posted by Griffy View Post
    I learned awhile back that the Skirmish horn sound is adjusted through the Player Music slide. So if you've had that cranked up to hear someone playing /music .abc, it's gonna be loud. So turn that down and the horn will go down in loudness.
    Hmmm, that would be my problem then. I have everything turned way down except player music, lol. That skirmish horn actually makes my computer speakers cut out, it's so loud. Please make it softer.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Doesn't bother me. I do have player music volume slider down to 15 - maybe that's the reason? I'm not seeing the big deal since you can mess with a slider for a second and fix the issue without any gameplay penalties (like you might have by turning off or down combat noises, if you listen for things rather than look for them).
    [size=1][font=arial][b]"And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human."
    [color=cyan]Allswell Boffinsbane[/color][/b] - [b][color=crimson]65[/color] [color=forestgreen]Hobbit[/color] Guardian[/b] - [b][color=goldenrod]Brandywine[/color] [color=slategray](Formerly Briarsby of Arkenstone)[/color][/b][/font][/size]

What are you HOOOONK! talking about? HOONK! The horn doesn't HOONK bother me one HOOOONK! bit.

It certainly could be toned down a bit, or changed to a different sound altogether, and I wouldn't complain.

For those who do not like the Skirmish Horn, I strongly suggest that you abstain from ever attending a Hockey Game within your lifetime.

Although I must confess that since I am an Apartment Dweller, I have to take my neighbors into consideration (I draw S.O. Aggro so frequently anymore, I don't bother to take her into consideration anymore.). As such, I haven't had sound turned on in LOTRO since Skirmishes were released. Such a pity considering the musical score in LOTRO is par none.

As has been said, the Player Music slider affects the skirmish alert. Given that we have a text alert in addition to the horn sound, it would be entirely appropriate to also have a tobble to remove the sound completely and just watch the popup text alerts.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    For those who do not like the Skirmish Horn, I strongly suggest that you abstain from ever attending a Hockey Game within your lifetime.
    Yeah the Hockey horn is rather annoying. This one the many powerful audible sounds you get when you attend any sports event. You can get around this problem by not going to the game. Watching the game on the television.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

I second this. My wife still has sounds on (I turned them off after the first month) and this is one of the worst sounds ever. Its loud, and its annoying, and its meaningless (did you think that without an air-raid horn, we wouldnt notice the wave of mobs?!).

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Smile Re: Skirmish Horn Is So Annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Anamatronix View Post
    CAckle!!
    I've only recently heard about these vuvuzelas doohickies, and then recently witnessed the racket those make during a game. Noone in Africa will know when the Killer Bee swarm is there, til it is too late.

Sounds like from the foreign newscast: that the Droning noise will go on. (So no ban? )
    [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo][B][COLOR=#ff0000]!<3?![/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]Wargs Rule![/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][B]!?<3! [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#4169e1]But only because we have no playable feline races.[/COLOR][/I][/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][RIGHT][CENTER][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=plum]???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=plum][B][I][COLOR=magenta]*s6u!s*[/COLOR] [/I][/B][/COLOR][B][COLOR=plum]¡[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=plum]?w ?o[/COLOR][COLOR=indigo] [COLOR=red]?[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=plum]s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3[/COLOR][B][COLOR=red]?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=lightblue][COLOR=magenta]Founder & Altoholic:[/COLOR] playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]*Jingle Jangle!*
    [U][COLOR=#ed2669]A "lifetime" of play on: [B]Elendilmir (RIP)[/B], Crick, Landy, & more. [/COLOR][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT]

I tried to change/complain about this in beta. Nothing came of it, obviously.

What the biggest problem for me is that its the same horn sound. It doenst change, not even slightly. Oh well
    Leader of [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=173712]R.A.I.D.[/url] (Rememberme's Awesome Instructional Directions).

Dear Turbine,

Can we please, please, please, pretty please, please, please, PLEASE even consider a compromise on this and either:

A) give us a toggle skirmish horn on/off, or;

B) only have the thing sound for encounters?

Seriously, it's loud, annoying, seriously out of hand, and makes me want to completely turn the sound off - which is a real shame, given the fact that it's clear the amount of care and detail that has gone into the audio in every other part of the game. Whoever came up with this shockingly horrid noise (and I have been to many, many hockey games - the sound is not out of place there, while it it utterly and completely out of place in Middle Earth...which, for me, is precisely the problem!) should be locked in a room and forced to listen to it at full volume over and over for an entire work shift. After that, ask them how they feel about the sound and if they still wish to retain it in game.

Thank you.

Agreed, the horn is highly annoying. It is especially so on Defense of Amon Sul because there is an attack every few seconds. I will try turning down player music and see if that helps.

I had to turn down the music volume in general because the combat music is repetitive and annoying. Other than the skirmish horn and the combat music, the sound and music in this game are great.

I wish we could toggle off combat music and the skirmish horn.

Bump, because this needs attention

Point of fact, if you take all your sound sliders and drop them to zero, you still hear the horn at full volume.

The only way to disable it is to click 'Mute All Game Sounds'.

So, another bump. This one is crazy annoying, especially with anyone trying to sleep within a 20 mile radius, or while wearing headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorek View Post
    Point of fact, if you take all your sound sliders and drop them to zero, you still hear the horn at full volume.

The only way to disable it is to click 'Mute All Game Sounds'.

So, another bump. This one is crazy annoying, especially with anyone trying to sleep within a 20 mile radius, or while wearing headphones.

I say we submit a bug report EVERY SINGLE time the horn sounds, 3 or 4 hundred bug reports on the horn a day will get thier attention fast!

Not sure I'd report it that often, but this particular bug seems like one of those errors that's difficult to correct without breaking other things. Otherwise, why wouldn't it be done?

I think it likely someone made a BIG mistake when they coded up the horn, and correcting it is going to be a lot of extra work.

Still, would be nice. I shouldn't have to disable my sound to run skirmishes.

I turned all my game sounds pretty much all the way down after doing a skirm when f2p came out, but nothing seemed to fix it... so I just stopped doing skirmishes. I didnt change any of the sliders back, and on a whim decided to do the rift skirm a couple nights ago. I think I went deaf for a few minutes because I was playing pretty much with sounds muted then all of a sudden HOONNKKK HOONNK YOU ARE DOING A SKIRMISH. HONNNKKK NOW YOU HAVE KILLED A VOLCANO HONNNNNKKKK. Lol worst 15 minutes of my life haha.

Anyway my point is thanks for mentioning the player music slider... never would have thought of that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000014b10a/signature.png]Ranadin[/charsig]

Ranadin + Happyfish = Ranafish

Well, I thought you were nothing but a bunch of whiners, then I downloaded and installed the EU f2p Stress Test Preview client.

OH-MY-GOD! The first time I heard it, coffee shot out of my nose!

I went to my audio controls thinking the volume had reset, they were set right at the low end of the scale......................... ......oh-my-god. OH-MY-GOD!

The Skirmish Horn sound WAS NOT THIS LOUD pre-f2p.

The Orc-horn sound that you get when you capture a flag isnt too bad, though it is loud.

The Horn which signifies a counter attack is simply DEAFENING!

I can see myself *NOT* playing Defensive skirmishes anymore until the Horn is fixed.

Ive always liked the (I think of it as "Rohirrim Horns") when you finish a skirmish, cant we have those as the capture-the-flag-point-sound and the current capture-the-flag-point-sound as the counterattack notification?
    Hunter and Alts on EU Snowborne.

Mostly retired until RoI

UI
    •Logging in to an area with Dynamic Layers enabled no longer shows the tutorial hint for Dynamic Layers even when you had dismissed it previously.
    •Client performance has been improved when advancing a quest with a lot of NPCs and quest items nearby.
    •Skirmish horn sound effects volume can now be controlled using the "Sound Effects" slider under Audio Options.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ROARER-ONLY-P1)

You have been heard...yes even over the horn.