We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Help with build pls

Have a 65 cappy and thought he was doing ok until I got to Sword Halls.

I'm not doing enough DPS and cant hold aggro for the life of me when I'm the only melee class and constantly running low on power. Also Wondering if my melee crit rating is high enough.

I do ok soloing but if I'm having problems in SH I'll prob be useless in DN/BG/SG

Also thought 5k of morale was ok but I've come across cappy's with morale in the 6-8k range. Question is: How much morale is enough morale?

Currently working on my LI's/virtues (valor/innocence/loyalty/justice/discipline) I have the Hall Generals gear except for the helm and shoulder guards and am traited for HoH.Here's a few screenies for you viewing pleasure.

Any advice from you veteran cappys would be apprecaited.

http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/...g%26newest%3D1

Last edited by kN1ght_0pz; Jun 10 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Quikhan - 65 Guardian; Helieos - 65 Captian

Re: Help with build pls

not sure what you're trying to do, but if you're interested in raiding, tanking and DPS are the least of your concerns

if you want to get your melee crit up, make sure you get the crafted relics. but if you're raiding just go for will/fate/vit and heal. that's all we really need to do. if you're having power problems, make sure you have +90 ICPR bracelets, I suggest the ranger's greenwood ring or sidhgor, and -melee power cost on your LI.

edit: pretty much, my opinion is that might/agility are worthless for a captain. anything with +morale/power/will/fate is good. you really won't get much of an increase in DPS from stats.
    Last edited by IGolbezI; Jun 10 2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by kN1ght_0pz View Post

I'm not doing enough DPS and cant hold aggro for the life of me when I'm the only melee class and constantly running low on power. Also Wondering if my melee crit rating is high enough.

Tanking is a cooperative venture, and a Captain isn't an awesome tank to begin with. People need to give you a chance to build some aggro -- an hunter or RK starting all out can pull mobs off of many guardians/wardens, much less a tanking cappy. Start with a threatening shout and a cutting attack. Do a BS and a DB. THEN they can start in on him. But they should build gradually... Using a halberd (you can tank SH fine with a 2H weapon) for a bit of extra threat, but the LI gods don't give us everything we want...

I tanked SH yesterday with a RK (mostly doing damage) and a LM without any real problems. You can look at my toon for setup if you like (http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/tarligond), not that I claim to be the uber captain or anything, but my setup works for me. I'm traited HOH and 2xLOM for mark managment. I kept bosses on me almost all the time. When there were 3 or more baddies the LM would mez one and I'd have at least one of the other two on me.

Well admittedly I would say a captain is not the optimal choice as the only melee class in there. We're better suited to being the main healer than the tank in SH.

If you have a healing class in there with you, I would consider traiting into your Master of War line (red ones) which boost your agro generation.

Use noble mark on the mobs, use taunting shout whenever it's up, use a halberd. Hit cutting attack then grave wound for the bonus agro.

Also a halberd with Shadow's Lament cooldown would help generate more agro.

As far as power issues go, you can always use the victory banner or herald (I much prefer banners). Of course suck up power pots whenever they're not on CD.

Sorry I didn't take the time to examine your build, but I feel that Captains are more effective when they have higher fate/will builds compared to might/agility, as the DPS boost from might/agi isn't as good as the power pool and healing boost from will/fate. Try to get lots of jewelry with ICPR and fate/will

A ton of morale isn't as important as many people say. As long as you're in the mid to high 5000's you'll be OK. Pocket items and LI runes with melee defense are a nice way to make the most of the morale you have.

I usually have about 5900 morale buffed without a hope banner, 1k ICPR buffed without focus or victory banner, and between 10-11% melee and tact crit chance (with relentless attack).

Check out my Cappy "Tuomer" on MyLotro if you're interested. Best of luck!
    [U]Gladden - Thronnos Rokke Clan[/U]
    [B]Tuomer[/B], Captain lvl 65
    [B]Twink[/B], Burglar lvl 65
    [B]Curangail[/B], Champion lvl 65

I agree with IGolbezI on the bracelets. You basically need to break 1K on your in-combat power regen, and +90 or more ICPR bracelets are the way to do it. I'm over 1K ICPR unbuffed

I Also want to second DelgonTheWise and coreyb on their thoughts about tanking with a captain. It takes time to build up a captain to a decent tank.

I did look at your screenshots. You need more Fate. That level 60 second age is not pulling it's weight any more. Also, you are all over the board on your Legendary items. Why are you leveling up all of them at the same time? Go to the AH, look for a 2 hander with +PA targets, -melee power cost (you can skip this if you stack ICPR high enough) and +Telling mark damage (if you intend on raiding).

Your emblem is awesome, by the way. Max out Rally Cry cooldown, Vocal healing, Rally cry healing, healing from strength of will (in that order) and replace all the other legacies with Fate, Will, and Vitality.

There is some disagreement on these boards about how to tank, whether you should go HoH and rely on healing aggro, or to go LtC. I go full LtC plus Now for Wrath (never leave home without it) and Strength from Within.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

I have tanked SH multiple times on my captain, mostly with a pair of hunters (where I have to tank and self-heal, good times), and with rk and hunter, which worked out really well actually. The RK was throwing heals as needed (which really helped me concentrate on aggro), and otherwise was DPSing. And our hunter was DPS (of course), but specced out for as little threat as possible, and both of them were very aggro-conscious. That is kinda the key to captain tanking in my experience, the group needs to be just a bit more aware of aggro management than they do with a guardian or warden.

As far as DPS goes, I personally don't even worry about it, I do the best I can with what I have and leave it to the squishies to do most of the damaged.

I have very mediocre gear, mostly barter jewelry from Mallendrim, mixed armor (only one rad piece, I don't care about raiding) quest and barter gear, and average LI's, tho I finally got a pretty good emblem built up, and my Morale is around 7100 with 3k+ power buffed with hope banner. I do good enough I reckon with my average stuff, and its fun trying to tank on captain!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000cd28c/01003/signature.png]Mandoragon[/charsig]

FWIW my Captain felt underpowered when I first hit L65. You need to collect some decent gear and work on the virtues and your LI, which takes a long time.

I have done SH HM with one, two or even three Captains

Copacetic
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000012801a/01005/signature.png]Rapacious[/charsig]

Thanks for all the input, a lot of good advice.

Just to clarify a few things; I'm not looking to be a main tank, I just want to be able to step in and take aggro when needed as an off tank or as an assist. I do plan on running a lot of the end instances: SG/WP/SH/DN/BG and want to be able to contribute rather than just tag along.

I was running SH with a burg and RK and the three bosses were all over the burg. I couldnt hold aggro for more than a few hits and knowing that a burg does more dmg by attacking from behind It felt like I wasn't helping much.

As for my LI's, the 3rd age 65 2h axe seems to have what I want as far as legacies are concerned: kick cooldown/+ to telling mark dmg/buff to relentless attack. And the buffs to morale/ICPR/Vit/might are nice. The other 2h axe I was going to use primarily for warg pens. And how do I replace the other legacies on the emblem? Do I need one of those bartered scrolls in Ost Galadh?

I'm leveling to 2nd age to max so I can decon it and get the exp back and the others I'm levelling to 11 for the relics and exp rune. Unless someone can suggest a better idea

It seems that the general consenses is that it's better to have a fate/will/healing captain rather than a DPS/might/agility captain? What would be a decent amount of might, more or less than 500?

Quikhan - 65 Guardian; Helieos - 65 Captian

Thanks for all the input, a lot of good advice.

Just to clarify a few things; I'm not looking to be a main tank, I just want to be able to step in and take aggro when needed as an off tank or as an assist. I do plan on running a lot of the end instances: SG/WP/SH/DN/BG and want to be able to contribute rather than just tag along.

I was running SH with a burg and RK and the three bosses were all over the burg. I couldnt hold aggro for more than a few hits and knowing that a burg does more dmg by attacking from behind It felt like I wasn't helping much.

As for my LI's, the 3rd age 65 2h axe seems to have what I want as far as legacies are concerned: kick cooldown/+ to telling mark dmg/buff to relentless attack. And the buffs to morale/ICPR/Vit/might are nice. The other 2h axe I was going to use primarily for warg pens. And how do I replace the other legacies on the emblem? Do I need one of those bartered scrolls in Ost Galadh?

I'm leveling to 2nd age to max so I can decon it and get the exp back and the others I'm levelling to 11 for the relics and exp rune. Unless someone can suggest a better idea

It seems that the general consenses is that it's better to have a fate/will/healing captain rather than a DPS/might/agility captain? What would be a decent amount of might, more or less than 500?
    I would personally wait on the stat scrolls until you get a weapon you know you're going to stick with.

And if it helps, my might is at like 250 or something.

We used to be able to be a real DPS/soloing captain, but they did away with most of it with Moria, then killed it with (b7?). We can still solo perfectly, it's just slower than it used to be. you can't really max out your DPS with very good results.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Like one of the other posters mentioned I have tanked and healed SH at the same time. For my own enjoyment I run my Captain exlucsively in my Battle Captain build(5 red, 2 healing), that can hold aggro and still throw out the heals when needed. 5 red means my grave wound is a forced taunt when the hunter gets too frisky. The main thing is to get experience with SH. The fights get much easier once you understand each boss dynamic and how to handle it. Also with a 3 man group, someone else not doing their job can stand out even more then usual. Especially with you as a Captain trying to tank, let the others in the group know that you need a bit of time to build aggro.

Personally I Wouldn't feel very bad if a burg pulled aggro off of you. I've seen burgs pull aggro off of Guardians in DN raids. They can do some ridiculous single-target damage if specced for dps when behind a target...so much that I'm not sure a captain could consistently hold aggro off of them.

Tanking can be an artform for a captain as we get probably the 3rd or 4th best threat generation mechanics (not including hunters in Strength Stance) Sometimes you have to ask for time to tank things and build up a little aggro. Ultimately if DPS are pulling threat and it's not the healer doing it you are doing a fine job as the tank, and the DPS really should be curbing their dps a little bit or risk dieing themselves as part of the dps role is to know the balance between killing and pulling aggro.

All that being said, I Love seeing captains who are willing to tank and try out all the different roles our class is capable of so I encourage you to keep trying and figuring out creative ways to play your captain. I love captains in 3-mans for the simple reason we are more likely to be called upon to try out all our different roles than if you are in a 6-man in which you will more than likely be the normal background support class, which is also fun

Where there is wrongs, I appear and try to make it right !

Ok we got many problems here.

Not Enough DPS
    Can't Hold Aggro
    Running out of power
    and wondering about Melee Crit.

I do ok soloing but if I'm having problems in SH I'll prob be useless in DN/BG/SG

Unfortunately your current build will make you look as a burden, but there is always ways to make it look good and change some stuff around.

Also thought 5k of morale was ok but I've come across cappy's with morale in the 6-8k range. Question is: How much morale is enough morale?

Usually the higher number you can reach, but depends about the gear you have and which banner. By example the 20% on the morale banner make a world (maybe 2) of difference.

Currently working on my LI's/virtues (valor/innocence/loyalty/justice/discipline) I have the Hall Generals gear except for the helm and shoulder guards and am traited for HoH.Here's a few screenies for you viewing pleasure.

I've looked the screenies and HoH is good (imo). My insight will be after the quoting

Any advice from you veteran cappys would be apprecaited.

http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b442/helieos/?action=view&current=cappy3.jp g&newest=1#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhtt p%3A%2F%2Fs1044.photobucket.co m%2Falbums%2Fb442%2Fhelieos%2F %3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dc appy4.jpg%26newest%3D1

Ok first thing first

Not Enough DPS / Can't Hold Aggro

You will never have enough dps, even if you are the most aggressive person. So, if you goal is to tank stuff, you have to build your threat a lot. I see you have a guardian in your sig, so i expect you to know how threat generation work. For captain it goes like this :

Threat from damage
    Threat from healing
    Threat from Threat skills
    Halberd
    Agressive Stance (the bleed + grave wound give you an extra 10% more threat).

Running out of power

After looking at your screenshot [funny/sarcastic/evil db] i would say you are doing it all wrong. [/funny/sarcastic/evil db] Less then 200 fate ? I don't mock you, though fate is a key stats as Vit for the ICPR and ICMR. Higher icpr is important for captain.

and wondering about Melee Crit..

Well the better the merrier for sure, higher crit will help some for threat, though the real deal is the on-defeat event from PA and DB.

All that said, armor and weapon are ok, you will change them following the normal advancement (since there isn't like 100 choices).

About joolry, there are more possibility, so you have to pick the good one. The armband with icpr/vit/morale are usually a great help, though look at all the possiblities and you'll be able to tweak your toon.

Unfortunately i don't put as much time on tweaking my captain as i used to do, though i always been looking for :

Vit/Fate/Might (though i'm wondering about increasing Agi instead of might to get an even greater crit range, though i like bigger sustained dmg). I never minded about Will and no one ever complained about my healing.

Morale, Melee Crit and ICPR. ( 900+ is a minimum, you can get easily about 1.2k).

Having the biggest heal doesn't matter with heal over time since most of the tic might turn into over-healing. Keeping a good firepower is also nice when it comes to soloing and stuff like pvp.

The rest come from the one behind the wheel, so i don't know how you play, but i've learned that not everyone excel at video games..
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden