We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Revealing vs Telling mark when soloing

This came up in the legacies thread and I thought I'd make a separate discussion about it.

I used to always use revealing mark when soloing without thinking about it much. More recently, I found that in the vast majority of on OR below level fights soloing/skirmishing telling mark is just plain better. Unless I'm in real danger of dying, telling mark makes the fight go quicker while revealing does nothing. In a skirmish against anything other encounter mobs, telling mark + rallying cries when a mob goes down keeps my health quite high against up to say 4-5 mobs, which is all I tend to see. Inspire + RC is generally enough to keep my warrior happy as well. I run through the 65 tier I Dannenglor using just telling and generally not needing to pause to heal for example (encounter mobs excepted, Ruingalad in particular). I do have traited MC for spot self heals, but mostly save it for fear removal anyway. And if things get ugly I can do the mark switch on the fly and get the healing that way.

Revealing IS useful soloing, no doubt about it, particularly to handle tough content. I personally think telling is better for most cases. Just worth thinking about. I'm also not saying the extra 5% telling mark legacy is make or break for solo, just that it makes the fights go a bit faster, particularly when you have the legacy fully ranked up.

2 Waterbank Road, Imlad Anor, Falathlorn Homesteads

Re: Revealing vs Telling mark when soloing

Anything that adds to our DPS is a good thing, and yes, it all depends on the situation and fight.

For example, in a skirmish, let's say I get 5 mobs at once, one is a Lieutenant.

I'll target a weak one if possible, and telling mark. Kill it quick, eliminate a source of damage, and get my defeat response going

Then I'll continue down the line, telling, telling, telling, more damage--Faster kills.

By the end of that fight, I *might* very well be low on power. In which case I'll take out the lieutenant with revealing, so I can "heal up" while my combat power regen works its mojo. One on one, with the healing mark in place, the mob and I can auto attack each other for quite some time without worry of it killing me ever

But it all depends on the fight, the type of mobs, and the Lieutenant, in that situation. If it's a blood rook or daywalker, I take out the adds first. If it's a death monger, I go for him first. In either event, I almost always use my damage adding mark while soloing unless the critter has some reflect/debuff/damage mode that makes it more to my benefit to switch

But definitely good food for thought....those skills are very much a matter of playstyle and situation
    This Space Is Reserved.

With a good HoH setup, I've got so much healing coming in at all times that I really don't need to worry about Revealing. If I'm really hurting, I muster courage every time it's up, and otherwise just follow Mykkul's targeting strategy.

Took on 4 64-65 mobs at once yesterday, and had a few seconds before I could engage them thanks to being mounted at the start... never really got to the point where I was scared for my health, and never had to pop Revealing Mark.
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

There are seperate issues being mixed in:
    1. Skirmishes vs landscape (i.e. presence of soldier): Eh, there are just a lot of different situations abounding, I guess, but skirmish discussion in this context tends to be highly formulaic (kill weak ones first for RC, etc.), whereas landscape soloing will give a lot more variety. For example, I regularly soloed orange quest chains in Trollshaws, and in that case, it was Revealing all the way. If you only run Tier 2 and 3 skirmishes, though, and you're the only tank, then I wonder if you'll end up using Revealing more.
    2. Your traiting: HoH and MC self-heal negates the need for Revealing in a lot of situations, so that's not going to be a good direct comparison. I personally run 3/2/2 without MC heal because I want the archer herald, which is decent DPS already.
    3. Survival vs. DPS playstyle: Some captains even like soloing with s&b, and I'm not going to mock them because that's their business. Again, there's a difference between talking about skirmish grinding for marks (speed is your only concern) and trying to complete whatever quests that may have sigs, be above your level, whatnot.
    Last edited by Trilwych; Jun 08 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    There are seperate issues being mixed in:
    1. ...
    2. Survival vs. DPS playstyle: Some captains even like soloing with s&b, and I'm not going to mock them because that's their business (though they're going to run out of power almost instantly ). Again, there's a difference between talking about skirmish grinding for marks (speed is your only concern) and trying to complete whatever quests that may have sigs, be above your level, whatnot.
    How does a S&B captain run out of power faster? Maybe longer fights, but usually can get +1.5 ICPR on a shield, +increased fate from a shield (20 at least). S&B uses same skills as a 2h cappy. My hunch is that you are making an assumption based on old information.

Quote Originally Posted by Uundamp View Post
    How does a S&B captain run out of power faster? Maybe longer fights, but usually can get +1.5 ICPR on a shield, +increased fate from a shield (20 at least). S&B uses same skills as a 2h cappy. My hunch is that you are making an assumption based on old information.
    Actually, that could be right. I haven't done S&B in a while so I'm fuzzy on the particulars now. Before the combat changes, power interaction was calculated among weapon speed, cooldown, and autoattack interference. The first and last variables have since changed so much. Sorry for any misinformation. The comment I wanted to add up there and totally forgot about wasn't about power consumption, though, but DPS output, for which we can all agree that 2H > 1H.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

I use revealing mark in those situations where I know there are multiple mobs coming that might do some serious damage before I can kick off a RC. Depending on the mobs I often switch mid fight. Telling mark is great to burn down a target like the Gathburz Uruks (9k morale) and then pop a quick RC to kill 2 or 3 more adds.

Having 10% Telling mark is really great, especially considering I always slot OS for that extra burst in damage.

I slot 5 HoH and 2 LoM for the set bonuses which means I have no CD on marks. You can pull with Noble, switch to telling for first mob, then switch to revealing if you feel you need the healing.
    Barst
    Skill and Valour
    Landroval