We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Ohoh... LOTRO free to play...

Quote Originally Posted by CoranisDoJ View Post
    Okay it says free subscribers and premium get limited amount of character slots per server.

What about returning/canceled players that already have all their characters and choose not to subscribe. Will they have characters locked out unless they go VIP/subscriber?
    They will likely do what DDO does - if you come back as an F2P after being a subscriber pre-F2P launch then you will have to choose X amount of characters to play (X being the limit in place - DDO its 2 char slots / server for F2P; 4 for Premium; and max for VIP) and the others will become "locked".

You won't be able to touch/play the locked characters but they will still be around and have all of their stuff - you will just need to either pay for character slots via the store, buy some TP to become Premium and automatically get a few slots back, or subscribe to VIP and get the max # of slots that your XPac level allows [+ any you may have purchased in the store]
    [B][I]Back after a long hiatus[/I][/B]
    Founding Lifetime Member/LotRO Beta Tester - Still love the game

Completely baffled.

Besides that...

The chart I saw said VIP level cap is 50. Is that a mistake? I know existing subs will still have whatever level cap they paid for, but new VIPs will cap at 50 unless they pay points for expansions?

Anyone care to guess how much 500 points is worth?

If you gain points be leveling, should I STOP leveling now IF I plan to stay?

Could someone, in theory, play for free, earn points and get everything a VIP has FOR FREE?

Thumbs down Re: Ohoh... LOTRO free to play...

Dang I just turned my account back on this month only to find this out, bummer. I was even all set to upgrade to Mirkwood too, definately not going to now though.

Just think of all the less desirable (i.e. griefers, etc.) F2P players that are going to be flooding the servers because it's a free game, your ignore lists are going to be overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, everyone deserves to play, it's just I know this is going to bring in a slew of people that are totally unlike the awesome community the game has now. If anyone has ever played any F2P game before you'll know what I'm talking about.

Account canceled only a week after I turned it back on It's been fun while it lasted but this is like a slap in the face really.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

I'm slightly disappointed by the move, but it's not the f2p that really bothers me.
    It's the addition of health potions (or any consumables) to the Cash Shop.
    As a scholar, I make my money off many consumables. Now people can just... buy them.

And Brandywine is crowded enough as it is...
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=gold][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/gildamon"]Gildamon[/URL] - Minstrel[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=indianred][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/ioanes"]Ioanes[/URL] - Loremaster[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=deepskyblue][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/arcenbryht"]Arcenbryht[/URL] - Captain[/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Well, it didn't take too long, did it? I'm shocked, but knew something of the sort was coming, I just didn't expect it to come so fast. Now I think we know why our content has been so light of late. I'm also surprised that Steefel was replaced last year and I don't recall seeing an announcement until now? Anyone else feel like the Sackville-Bagginses and Sharkey's gang have invaded the Shire? (taters! $5.00!)

I'm a lifetimer so I'm not losing anything I've invested, but I have a feeling the community we had will be totally different. It also makes me wonder about the Tell the Community threads....are they going to take the best ideas from those and put a price tag on them?

I've been playing another game lately, which, funnily enough, I had unsubscribed from a few days ago to come back to play this full time. After seeing this announcement, I grabbed my credit card and resubscribed. May as well have another home to go to just in case.
    [LEFT][I]O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!
    [/I][IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2v8mqur.jpg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT]

Pretty sad Turbine. No update til fall? After offering us basically nothing, hot on the heals of that tiny update you called a mini expansion?

I'm just waiting for the "purchasable" modules that DDO has except for LOTRO. Unless they are going to give these updates for free to VIP members. So the content is free, and how are they going to handle full blown expansions, we paying for those as well or no more expansions just small add-ons?

I'm very hesitant, we'll see.

V

Well I just started playing about 3 days ago. One of my main draws to this game was that I could be a casual player and still successful..not rewarded for having RL money. This just changed, time to quit.

I wonder what the store items are though? Are they game changing like high level weapons etc or just cosmetics and others that wouldn't really change my game much?

Very unhappy.

I'd like VERY MUCH for somebody to explain why my thread was locked when there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. If anything I was showing my dislike of the new idea, is that what we're locking threads for now? Disagreeing?

Since my thread was locked, can someone answer the following questions -
    Does this mean we are going to start seeing half the new content released costing Turbine Points? This almost seems like a certainty, there is no way in mordor that this store alone will generate enough revenue to justify the time and effort spend into it. Here comes raids and quest lines costing turbine points to buy!

Does this also mean players who don't buy Turbine Points are going to completely locked out of the forums? New character with questions about his class? Sorry! Questions aint allowed round' these parts, go pay yer bill if ya want in the front door, until than go stand in the corner with the rest of yew FREE LOADERS.

I've put up with alot of your moves Turbine. I sat around twiddling my fingers waiting for an announcement that new content was finally coming, and this is what I'm given? Extremely disappointing, and either an indicator that the game was floundering, or Warner Bros is prodding you to suck your player base dry.

And if thats the case than the higher ups at Turbine must have seen this coming, and that is just flat out sad.

Regrettably, this announcement had to come DAYS after my subscription renewed itself, or I could have saved myself money because there is absolutely nothing for me for the next 3+ months.
    Last edited by CQ-Reborn; Jun 04 2010 at 11:07 AM.

Kinda torn about this one. New money coming into the game isn't a bad thing. I am just hoping it won't attract a complete d****bag crowd. One thing we have going for us I guess it may keep griefers out since PvP is limited in the game. Guess time will tell, but to quote another franchise:

"I got a bad feeling about this"

Quote Originally Posted by Winyayen View Post
    Well I just started playing about 3 days ago. One of my main draws to this game was that I could be a casual player and still successful..not rewarded for having RL money. This just changed, time to quit.

I wonder what the store items are though? Are they game changing like high level weapons etc or just cosmetics and others that wouldn't really change my game much?

Very unhappy.
    And you can! NO ONE even knows what the purchasable items are yet and everyone is FREAKING out. I can't imagine, if you're already a subscriber, that the store items are going to be anything THAT awesome that you can't get yourself with a little work, which is exactly the case now.

The fear of the unknown is causing mass chaos. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill out. Join the beta and find everything out before ragequitting.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by -GLiX- View Post
    Dang I just turned my account back on this month only to find this out, bummer. I was even all set to upgrade to Mirkwood too, definately not going to now though.

Just think of all the less desirable (i.e. griefers, etc.) F2P players that are going to be flooding the servers because it's a free game, your ignore lists are going to be overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, everyone deserves to play, it's just I know this is going to bring in a slew of people that are totally unlike the awesome community the game has now. If anyone has ever played any F2P game before you'll know what I'm talking about.

Account canceled only a week after I turned it back on It's been fun while it lasted but this is like a slap in the face really.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!
    Sure makes it easy to CANCEL my sub, thanks Turbine and GOOD LUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetMan View Post
    Kinda torn about this one. New money coming into the game isn't a bad thing. I am just hoping it won't attract a complete d****bag crowd. One thing we have going for us I guess it may keep griefers out since PvP is limited in the game. Guess time will tell, but to quote another franchise:

"I got a bad feeling about this"
    My thoughts too. I loved the maturity of the community here..I hope this doesn't change that. I will quit without hesitation..and I just got my sister playing..she will go with me. (I don't say that as a threat..like Turbine really cares..just saying what we personally will do)

"I got a bad feeling about this" indeed.

I wake up from a night of raiding in BG - it was a pretty rough night to say the least. The instance is still buggy, laggy, and annoying to play. I must say it was rather frustrating...

BUT THIS!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Having it so people can buy items with real money is a poor decision. I guess I'd be okay if you just buy cosmetic items - but if I start seeing people just buying Scrolls of Empowerment like crazy... well you guys at Turbine can shove it. I'm thoroughly disgusted right now. Dissappointed. Confused. Angry even. Why did you guys feel a need to do this? Hmm??!?!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000005af46/01001/signature.png]Beerdrinker[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Graythandor View Post
    Seriously, Vol 2 Book 3 won't happen until THE FALL?? We're just supposed to sit tight and wait around for new content until you get RMT up and running several months from now??

Turbine, I always thought better of you. You disappoint me.
    I hope they realize how many people they just slapped right in the face. People who've been around for a long time. I'm not even nearly a founder and I'm pretty disgusted. No updates at all until 'Fall', which is when they introduce the F2P model?

This likely means no expansion, either. No Rohan or anything.

Wow. I love this game. And I was just about to see if I could buy another 6 or 12 months subscription tonight (have the money right now), but then I saw this? I had convinced my good friend to start playing (and he is/was excited about it!). Was helping him buy a new computer just so he could play it with me.

Was positive things would go: update in July (Enedwaith), then in November-ish an expansion (ideally Rohan)! I was really looking forward to that. Was preparing my characters for that.

Oh well, here come the mountains of trolls and idiots to ruin the great community we have here.
    Last edited by canyouaddcolour; Jun 04 2010 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winyayen View Post
    My thoughts too. I loved the maturity of the community here..I hope this doesn't change that. I will quit without hesitation..and I just got my sister playing..she will go with me. (I don't say that as a threat..like Turbine really cares..just saying what we personally will do)

"I got a bad feeling about this" indeed.
    This....

Is my number one concern. Every play Maple Story it was free... and the community was horrible. It made my stomach turn when I saw the kind of thing that went on in Chat. If the community goes sour... I'm gone, and my wife will be gone.

I don't like this at all either....

Possibly an interesting link...

http://feedraider.com/item/2009/9/12...d-Free-to-Play

Haven't read that fully yet.

I do wonder though... Will these "turbine points" they give us for subscribing usable in the DDO store? Might have to make a post asking that.

The store purchased items are entirely undisclosed beyond generalities BUT one thing that people might consider doing is taking a look at the skirmish barter armour and pots and other items. I assumed that the items we would be talking about are equivalent to those which are disappointing compared to any of the instance drops or barter items currently available in game. My expectation is that if there is ANYTHING besides account upgrades, consumables, and cosmetics that you can buy it will be equivalent to items along those lines and even less likely to be of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluros View Post
    This read almost point-for-point as an April Fools joke; anyone else get confused and look at the calendar?
    That is exactly what I thought was going on. Then I wracked my brain for any other 'April Fools' kind of days that this might be. I have to say that when I finally accepted that it wasnt a prank, my heart dropped.

Just noticed this:
    Wardrobe | 20 slots (can purchase more)
    Some sort of wardrobe system?
    It's not the cosmetic system, cause that's listed above it.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=gold][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/gildamon"]Gildamon[/URL] - Minstrel[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=indianred][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/ioanes"]Ioanes[/URL] - Loremaster[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=deepskyblue][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/arcenbryht"]Arcenbryht[/URL] - Captain[/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/CENTER]

I've confirmed quests are now going to cost money, according to the charts on their beta signup page here -
    http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/

Since my sub has already refreshed, I might as well hang on till I see how this develops..
    good luck everyone, and cross your fingers.

What's mostly irritating to me is all this was unilaterally decided by Ms. Paiz with zero input from the players. Additionally, we get to go through a revamp of the starting areas (again!) as well as any expansion put on hold while they rearrange the velvet ropes around the theme park.

While I understand the free-to-play model has been quite successful, I question the idea that it could be applied universally to any game. Does Lotro fit the model? I would argue no since the main selling point for a majority of its customers is the more mature player base with deep passions about the story. The very idea that anything in Tolkien's world is purchasable through "Turbine Points" is somewhat anathema to me, personally. Again, I had wished for more consultation with the players before making such a move.
    Last edited by Tymaron; Jun 04 2010 at 11:24 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042070000000227af/01007/signature.png]Thimaran[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Mines_of_Moria View Post
    Just noticed this:

Yeah, it looks like separate cosmetic item storage, which is a great idea, if that's what it turns out to be. I've got a lot of storage slots taken up with cosmetic stuff, I'd love to have additional space for that stuff.
    solien
    armor-plated since SoA alpha 3
    arkenstone: hall of fire & into the west

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mines_of_Moria View Post
    Just noticed this:

There will be a dev diary on this feature, but I'll give you the quick version. Wardrobe is a special storage for your cosmetic items. That way they don't take up inventory, bank, vault, or housing storage. There's more to it, which I won't spoil, but it's a pretty cool system!

Quote Originally Posted by CQ-Reborn View Post
    Does this mean we are going to start seeing half the new content released costing Turbine Points?
    No, it means that ALL of the new content will cost Turbine Points. However, VIPs (subscribers) will get all of that (plus 500 additional Turbine Points each month) as part of their subscriptions. Subscribers won't be paying anything "extra" for new content.

Khafar

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast