We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Preference for a main hand weapon?

I have been wondering this lately, what do most of you prefer for a main hand weapon?

In my case, I am all about the legacies on the main hand - couldn't care less about DPS. Bow skills always except for auto attacks and the odd low cut.

With this in mind, what are you using?

I am thinking that a spear may have the best potential, because of the spear pierce. Or, running as a hobbit, perhaps a mace with the +2% club damage bonus? I don't really think that adds up to much.

Or do you just pick whatever level appropriate main hand you find with good legacies and go for that, and not worry about which particular weapon type it is?

And are there any main hand legacies you consider must have? My preferences have been for-
    +crit magnitude in precision
    +needful haste duration
    +traited intent concentration power bonus

These are nice
    +find the path movement speed
    +AOE targets
    +desperate flight cooldown

I don't want these
    +strength quick shot slow
    +blindside crit rating
    +melee crit multiplier
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aad21/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Preference for a main hand weapon?

My main hand is a level 53 club of ugliness and i hate it with a passion.
    It also has

+needful haste duration
    +find the path movement speed
    +desperate flight cooldown

and some other things I can't remember since I don't care about them.

I hate that club so much...
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000e4a6e/01007/signature.png]Aegalir[/charsig]
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    [/center]

I used to use a hand axe before the normalization of damage which did away with weapon speed. I got a second age dagger (lvl 60) which had good legacies, at least applicable to my playstyle, at good tiers. Now I use a one-hand sword (lvl 65) because I'm an elf and want to get whatever benefit I can from that. I haven't really come across many one-hand swords so I am putting up with the legacies on it which I find somewhat acceptable but not great.

I generally don't care for ANY cooldown legacies by personal preference. I also don't care for even desirable legacies if the tiers are very low like 1 or 2. If only one legacy was at low tier, then I might take it anyway, but the other legacies would have to be somewhat useful and at tier 3+ because I can only expect to get 3 upgrades (for a lvl 65) well maybe 4.

I would find these to be acceptable (not exhaustive) melee weapon legacies:

+AOE targets
    +melee crit multiplier
    +strength of earth morale regen
    +blindside crit rating

This is just me. In most cases, I make do.

I wanted a melee weapon with at least these three legs:

1. NH Duration
    2. Crit in Precision
    3. Beneath Notice CD

Got a Level 60 First Age with the following:

1. NH Duration
    2. Crit in Precision
    3. Beneath Notice CD

4. Stealth Detection
    5. Power restored by Intent Conc.
    6. Blindside Crit rating
    7. Desperate Flight CD

Needless to say I was pretty stoked.
    [color=yellow][center]B************ tells you, 'umm how do you hit so hard??'[/center][/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000046466/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

For me:

#1 Needful Haste Duration

If it doesn't have it it's not worth slotting. After that everything else is "nice to have". Some are better than others of course. But due to my play style I'd prefer it also have (in about this order):

Traited Intent Concentration Power bonus
    Swift Stroke Parry/Evade Rating Buff
    Beneath Notice Cooldown
    AoE Skills Maximum Targets
    Agile Rejoinder Heal Chance (especially if I have the parry/evade buff)

---

Crit in precision really isn't that much. I mean it's nice and all, but... meh. Useful if you actually use precision stance.

Stealth detection is nice if you are in the moors. (I'm not out there much)

Desperate Flight Cooldown: If you need a legacy for this you have other issues

Anything for melee hunter skills is counterproductive (sans the parry/evade buff).

Find the path movement- "nice" but totally useless in combat.

Low Cut Bleed Chance, Press Onward Cooldown, Improved Strength Of Earth Morale Regen, Find the Path Movement bonus, and any of the melee legacies are all candidates for replacement by agi, will, or vit scrolls.

As always, YMMV.
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

I always use swords. They've been my preference for awhile due to the racial bonus. As for legacies, it has to have Needful Haste on it. I used to really like SotE morale regen too, but I've found that I never really use it anymore. Agile Rejoinder Heal Chance would be nice and I'd really like the Precision Crit Magnitude and AoE targets. I may craft myself a new sword tonight or go AH hunting and start leveling some potentials so I can decon the one I have to get a good rune.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

I would prefer a sword, and I'd settle for a dagger, but after 6 months of nothing but dismal failures I finally wound up settling on a stupid hammer. I actually have two stupid hammers leveling, both quite similar, just to see which ugly eyesore gets a better L30 reforge. The legacies I want are pretty obvious, and have been listed here (and elsewhere) already. I'd talk about them again, but I'm stuck with them on a stupid hammer and it makes me cranky so no.

I should have kept my absolutely beautiful L60 2nd Age Sword and stayed happy. Stupid hammer.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Tannus View Post
    My main hand is a level 53 club of ugliness and i hate it with a passion.

I hate that club so much...
    Haha I love it! That was me exactly pre SoM. Now though I not only lucked out getting great legacies but an esthetically pleasing sword as well

I also do not bother with dps so any melee related legacies are out. Right now I consider my sword to be exactly what I wanted:

Needful Haste
    Crit Magnitude in Prec.
    Max AOE targets
    Power Restored from Intent Conc.
    Ajile Rejoiner (that 50% maxed really is useful)
    Find the Path ( useless I know but I do enjoy it )

Poor NAT. /pat pat

I feel your pain. I had a hideous club for awhile at level 60, until I crafted myself a 2A sword that ended up with decent legacies.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Hatty-Boys Pinty Buff-Stick is a 65 3A spear w/ NH, AoE, FtP, AGI, VIT, Fate.

Was hoping for IC Power and Prec Mag, but then it'd have been EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE BEAUTIFUL 60 2A SWORD I HAD from a random Yurtle.

:/

--
    still have my 59 1A dagger from Watcher 1.0 (back in ye day) w/ tier 6 NH/AR/Detect/Camo/AGI/VIT. zOMG it was so trendy. Swapsie-fun.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

While I was leveling, I just used whatever had the best stats. Since my hunter moved on to LIs, I use what looks nice cosmetically. I originally had a 1st age filikul spear in MoM that had great stats, but it was SO ugly. I deconned it as soon as I found a prettier weapon in SoM (a regular spear as it so happens) with comparable legacies. I'm using the pretty spear right now while I'm leveling up a dagger. I really like the look of a dagger, cosmetically, on her. She's got that typical "adventurer in the wild" look to her, and I think a dagger would complement that nicely.

Last edited by Frieja; Jun 03 2010 at 02:53 PM.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

Im amazed that there are still people NOT using lvl 65 weapons for the crafted bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by D3-Rook View Post
    Im amazed that there are still people NOT using lvl 65 weapons for the crafted bonus.
    it is really nice. I miss my awesome 60 2A, but I wouldn't trade up the rune on my 65 3A buff stick.

Then again, I just killed 180 bug lurkers for a rank that'll round down on a virtue I don't slot, so while I'm a good judge on math I'm a horrible judge on what people find FUN.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Pretty much as I thought - what looks good is the best main hand

It works for me, I like the look of my hobbit running around with a spear on his back.

Just for clarity, because I don't get what the deal is with a 65 crafted or a 60 first age.

These are the legacies I have on my spear now:
    Needful haste duration
    Find the path movement
    AOE skills targets
    Precision stance crit

How I lucked out and got four pool A legacies, I don't know. But I am not complaining. It's about level 24-ish right now, the spear itself is a level 57.
    Given that I can use scrolls of lesser empowerment to upgrade the tiers, why would I ever want to replace this spear?
    The choice with bows is obvious, higher level = more dps, 2nd age > 3rd age because of more dps and more points. But if by some miracle I was able to get these legacies again on (say) a lvl 60 first age, what benefit would I get from using that over what I currently have?

Oh, and I just realised strength quick shot slow is a bow legacy, not a main hand one.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aad21/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The legacies will tier up higher on 1st and 2nd ages.

So where you might get +10 seconds of Needful Haste duration on a 3rd age, you would get +13 seconds on the same tier on a 1st age. (random numbers, I'm not logged in to give precise numbers right now)

However, if you go with a LI that's level 60 or below, you cannot slot the higher level crafted runes or T9 relics.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

Quote Originally Posted by hamle View Post
    why would I ever want to replace this spear?
    You won't be terribly gimped by using a 57 over a 60, but you will be cheating yourself by not replacing that 57 with a 65, eventually. The very snazzy orange crafted relics can only be used on level 65 weapons. The teal relics can only be used on 61+. So if you stick with a weapon under 61, you'll only ever be able to put the purple relic on it.
    [/SIZE]

Ah, it all makes sense now!

So I guess it means playing the lottery again at 65 trying to get the good legacies. Oh well, it's all part of the fun!

One more question, do different age weapons (3A, 2A) or different level items have more chances of getting legacies from pool a? Or are the differences just more legacies and higher tiers?

One more question, do different age weapons (3A, 2A) or different level items have more chances of getting legacies from pool a? Or are the differences just more legacies and higher tiers?
    Just higher ranks on the legacies, not tiers. As in, you can still get tiers 1-6 on any of them, but on a 2A and 1A, you'd be able to get one more rank up on legacies (higher % bleed for Barbed Arrow, for example), the DPS will go higher, and IIRC, the 59/60 2As and 1As get an extra 10 levels and another reforge.
    [/SIZE]

Knives, because everything else drags in the dirt when I run, visably slowing me down
    Tillil Tillillit Hobbit Hunter
    5 Myrtle Ct. Derndelf, Elendilmir
    Member, "The Osgiliath Guard"

I have a lovely level 65 3rd Age spear that I crafted for myself. It has Crit Magnitude in Precision, Needful Haste, Agile Rejoinder Heal, AOE targets, and Vit and Will. It is my shiny shiny.

I've always enjoyed the aesthetic of spears, even thought they are completely and totally impractical for a warrior who wields a bow primarily to use. My hunter is an elf, so she carries the spear in combat in a very graceful pose, which I enjoy. I'm entirely too fond of my spear... all my Scrolls of Empowerment have been going to it, mostly because I have not managed to get a good bow yet, but there you go. (My off-hand is a sword.)
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Pretty much as I thought - what looks good is the best main hand

It works for me, I like the look of my hobbit running around with a spear on his back.
    Ditto. I just like the look of the Spear on my Elf's back and have given up trying to find the 'perfect' weapon. As long as it has the Needful Haste legacy, and one or two other semi-useful legacies, I'm happy.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000544bf/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Pew! Pew! Pew!