We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Question regarding Skirmish Soldier for a Guardian

In skirmishes i prefer to play as a DPS traited Guardian because it takes forever to do a decent fight as a Sword and Board traited Guard.

At the moment i use a herbalist for heals.

My Guard is lv65 Raid ready or at the very least very very close to being raid ready, by that i mean that i have most virtues to rank 10 and very good teal and where it makes sence purple jewellery.

When in my non radiance setup i have might vitality and agility pretty close to the stat cap and my legendary items are reasonably good (they can always use some improvment of course).

The plan is to start running T3 skirmishes on my guard quickly with a high sucess rate including encounters so i can get the most skirmish marks i can out of the T3 skirmish.

What im wanting from the forum community is this:

1) Sugestions on the best type of skirmish soldier for the purpose listed above
    2) Sugestions on the best way to trait the skirmish soldier for this type of skirmish

In your answers i would appreciate it if you could provide detailed reasoning as to why you have sugested a particualar soldier type over other types and why you chose the traits for that soldier type

What i don't want is answers that say for example - "use a herbalist and trait for healing" - this is not enough detail as i will want to know why you sugest that.

Here is the link to my Guardian on MyLOTRO so you can get a better idea of my dps gear setup and stats to help with answering my question above

http://my.lotro.com/character/arkenstone/tarthaliondor

Thankyou in advance for your answers
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000019762/01007/signature.png]Tarthaliondor[/charsig]

Re: Question regarding Skirmish Soldier for a Guardian

Im not the best with numbers like DPS calculations and gear set-ups etc etc. I have however recently switched from my Herbalist to...

...an Archer.

And apart from stupid pathing/AI bugs, I can clear an on-level Skirmish in (what feels like) less time than with the herbalist thanks to the (sometimes) excellent damage output of the Archer.

Ive also found if I do the skirmish properly, I dont die at all, nor even miss the healing output of the herbalist.

Traits...ugh, Im at work, and my memory isnt great, but one of them is under the Skills tab and adds +to tact crit damage (?) and a direct damage tact crit skill. Ive got those coupled with a trait from the Training catergory that adds +tact crit damage and something else. LOL, what an excellent description of my traits. Feel free to link me to a Soldier Traits site and I'll tell you what I use.

I have no idea if this will help you in any way, as Im 18 levels lower than you, and our playstyles are probably worlds apart. For starters Im a die-hard S&B fan, even more so now that I have Shield-smash (crits for 800+), Im finding I can plow through mobs when the Crit God (re RNG) smiles upon me.
    ...holding aggro, and living to tell about it.
    This used to be a signature picture before Turbine "fixed" the forums.
    Your sword's grown old and rusty - Burnt beneath the rising sun
    It's locked up like a trophy - Forgetting all the things it's done

Thanks for the info, i would not have thought of using an archer before, i supose if im in DPS with a well equiped Archer i could dish out some serious DPS.

I will look into the possibility of using an archer when i get home from work today.

Are they easy to use and cheap to Lv to the point where they can do decent damage and not get killed?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000019762/01007/signature.png]Tarthaliondor[/charsig]

Ive found that because of my Guardians ability to survive massive amounts of incoming damage, based on (I would assume) my use of a shield, so long as Im tanking all the mobs and letting the Archer pick off targets from the outside, he never dies. Tactical use of the Direct Soldier skill is highly recommended.

The problem is, his ability to crit seems to drop to less than 5% as soon as a mob gets into his melee range, and if he gets targeted by a couple of mobs, or somehow manages to draw the attention of a leiutenant, things get a little messy.

I will admit to being very wary of dropping my main source of healing (herbalist) when switching to the archer, but it just seems to work. Again, I think its directly linked to the Guardians survivability.

Now, I cant confirm this, cause I paid no attention to the SM cost, but he did seem cheaper to raise his skills to the same level as the herbalist before I dropped her. Goddamnit, I wish I was at home right now, I could log in and check, lol.

I can't attest to the effectiveness on tier 3, but I'm really liking the Bannerguard I picked up for my Warden. He has decent damage (at least compared to me, even when focusing on damage), has a little HoT (which is a nice cushion), and has his buffs.

Please bare with me I forgot all the skill/trait names. For a OP Guardian I would say you would probably want to go with the Bannerguard's damage skill, the HoT, possibly the damage reflect buff, and the ultimate that switches the Armour Aura for the damage focused on (I think its resist/defense penetration).

Since he has the Heavy armor trait, he takes less damage and so is less a dying risk than some of the other soldiers. I suppose you might also like some of the more damage focused "trainings" like the melee crit and pen (not sure if Bannerguard can get those though).

Just my 2 cents, can't say it would work, seems like it might though. Hope you figure it out and pardon the expression, but "you are a better man than I" for farming tier 3 skirms. lol

Edit: Archer wouldn't be bad either I would think, as other have suggested.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000002ff8e/01005/signature.png]Isumacardoc[/charsig]

Fight on for the Freedom of Middle-Earth.

My guardian is only level 24 but is getting close to the Skirmish level, so I have been wondering similar things to the OP (but not Tier 3 - props to you!). Was thinking Herbalist too as I stay in OP mode all the time, but what DaJorge90 mentioned about a BannerGuard got me thinking. BannerGuards would provide a little DPS too as well as the healing, and also the reflect damage buff sounds nice since I'll be AoE tanking a lot.

Does anyone use the BannerGuard as a Skirmish soldier? How does it work out? Do you miss the power restore from the Herbalist too much?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001321c3/01003/signature.png]Sunnyward[/charsig]

Thats ok, im in no hurry to change the soldier type right now, just doing research at this stage.

Its thursday in New Zealand (aka: middle earth), i usually do most of my lotro playing on the weekends so the change will be happening this weekend once i have gathered the required info to make an informed decision regarding my soldier status.

cheers

I would like to hear how this all works out for you and what choice you end up making. I have an up and coming guard myself (currently taking the easy way out with the Herby). That and I just like hearing other people's experiences.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000002ff8e/01005/signature.png]Isumacardoc[/charsig]

Fight on for the Freedom of Middle-Earth.

If you're just interested in gaining SM as quickly as possible, I would first suggest not doing Tier 3 skirms at all. Tier 1s are much faster and the difference in reward SMs is pretty minimal. Tier 3s are more about a fun challenge than SM collecting.

As for a good soldier for an OP using Guard.. I just use a Herbalist. I've used a few other types (Warrior, Archer, Sage) and while none are bad choices the Herbalist is always the one I go back to to give myself the most oomph. This is, however, possibly because I haven't ranked anything but my Herbalist up to anything near my level.

My Herbalist is actually loaded for Power restoration and not healing. I don't recall the skill names but she's got the single target one shot power restore, the Ultimate group power restore, the single target defense boosting buff and one of the standard heals. I find when running in OP my biggest issue is power consumption but with my Herb traited this way I barely ever even get close to low on power.. plus the minor heal and defensive buff are good to make up for the slightly lower survivability level in OP.

I don't recall what passive traits she's using other than the ICPR booster and one of the defensive ones.

Don't recall my personal passives either except for the melee attack booster and the armour booster.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2121f000000132226/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I have my Herbalist traited for power restore as well.

I tried an archer tonight on tier 1 so i could get the marks to lv it.

I like the extra dps but on higher tiers it may take more effort to stay alive without heals.

I can certainly see the potential for the archer but will need some more experimation to see if it will work for my play style.

Are you wanting to get the most marks is the shortest amout of time? Or are you just going to run T3 skimishes? I cant seem to determain that in your post.

If you stick with T3 I cant really give any advice as I have only run 1 T3 and found it just too slow.

I am a Keen Blade guard and I run T1's because they are the fast and easy. For this I use a warrior for extra DPS to speed things up. I think any DPS class would work well, but I like the warrior because they have the most AOE's. My statagy is simple, aggro the mobs to me and AOE and have my warrior stand next to me using AOE's also.

The skill I have are the 3 AOE attacks and the big single target one. I think the names are Ultimate Bloodseeker, quick sweep, strong sweep, cant remember name of one.

Traits are +melee offence, +crit, armour penetration, defence penetration

Personal are +melee offence +crit and armour penetration

This works well on T1 and T2 (the few I have done) but do not work well on the 1 T3 I did Oh and all skills on my warrior are rank 20. I hope this helps.

Tier 1 or Tier 2 are the most effecient (depending on class). From my testing, Tier 3s are by far the least efficient for any class. If you want to do them for enjoyment, I would probably stick with an Herbalist as you are going to need a ton of heals.

For Tier 1 or 2 a very experienced/skilled Guard I know loves the Bannergaurd. Provides enough healing, some buffs, some off tanking and some DPS to boot.
    Going on Hiatus until this statement becomes true:
    [b]"The LOTRO Store will offer convenience, not advantage."[/b] -[URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=4698465&postcount=5]Patience[/URL]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000003fd15/01007/signature.png]Shadrak[/charsig]

From what ive read the T3 skirmishes drop lots more special marks with can then turn into heaps of normal skirmish marks for barter.

I do want to get lots of SM in the shortest time possible but my primary goal is to do T3 Skirmishes sucessfully in the fastest time possible.

I can currently manage to do some T3 skirmishes with my Herbalist if i get lucky and use all cooldowns and try and avoid most encounters but i want to try and find a skirmish soldier that will work better to increase the chance of sucess with this tier of skirmish.

I use a Sage built for DPS when I'm OP or SnB on my Guardian. I blast through skirmishes with no issues, though I still hate Ruinglad in Dannenglor.
    If you feel squishy, build your Sage out for debuffs but keep the big hitter, Word of Flame, because it's simply too fun to see your Sage crit for 1300+ while out soloing around.

Sages are major aggro generators, so Guard/Warden are great choices for the pair since they can be squishy (mine, for example, I've built for zero defence since I just wanted a DPS machine and my Guard controls all aggro anyway).

A debuff-built Sage can also tank surprisingly well for awhile. My DPS Sage can still solo nearly all Lts with no defences and only 1 debuff skill.

I can do T1 and T2 with little issues, but T3 I don't care for because it's really not worth my time for marks. A few bonus barter items simply don't make up for running through multiple dailies in the same time it takes.

If you insist on doing T3s, you probably need to stick with your Herbalist.

Lots of good replys, im starting to see really good reasons why i should use my Herbalist for T3.

Still looking at the possibilities for a seperate soldier for T2 speed runs though

Herbalist is a great choice. Don't worry about it too much - I think you're over analyzing this a bit.

You're well-geared. You'll find solo skirmishing a piece of cake once you get used to it, no matter what soldier you choose. Hell, I find it easy and I'm a casual player, sporting hand-me-downs and quest rewards. T3 can be more daunting, but as others have pointed out, if your goal is marks, you shouldn't bother with T3 anyway.

For what it's worth, though, I'll second any votes for Herbalist. I use my lovely hobbit-lass Nightingale as a power battery, primarily, but I get good mileage from the heals as well. And almost more importantly - she doesn't attack. May seem silly, but there are several lieutenants that are best left alone until you clean up the trash mobs first, and I don't want a DPS soldier triggering their little lieutenant shenanigans or deciding what mobs need to die first. Call me a control freak, but the Herbalist stays out of my way when it comes to killing, and I like that just fine.
    [size=1][font=arial][b]"And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human."
    [color=cyan]Allswell Boffinsbane[/color][/b] - [b][color=crimson]65[/color] [color=forestgreen]Hobbit[/color] Guardian[/b] - [b][color=goldenrod]Brandywine[/color] [color=slategray](Formerly Briarsby of Arkenstone)[/color][/b][/font][/size]

Tier 1/2 I have had good luck with my Sage. The debuffs are nice and the aoe dps w/o the re****ed warrior AI is great.

For tier 3 though the Lt's can hit like a truck though so really the only option is herbalist. I personally cannot get through tier 3 skirmishes with anything else. With one they are challenging but do able and fun.

An example of the increase in damage on tier 3 is yesterday I ran into a bloodrook with 6 adds. So my goal is to burn the adds as fast as possible to get the bird to be manageable. I have done it before but the 4800 morale hit right off the bat from the bird took be right down with the couple hits I took from the other adds. No soldier was going to save me from that unlikely hit but is something you should be ready for and the only thing that is going to keep you going in fights like that are heals. None of the DPS soldiers do nearly enough DPS to be as much help as the herbalist at this Tier.

Edit: As others have said though Tier 1/2 are the way to go for Marks per hours. Tier 3 is for those times you want it to be challenging and have some fun.
    Last edited by DivineJustice; Jun 08 2010 at 01:19 AM.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Having recently upgraded to SoM, I gained access to the Thievery and Mischeif skirmish, and as such have found my new favourite. Well laid out, good choke points and so long as you dont rush in like a goose, easily controllable spawns.

Ive been running this skirmish solely with my Archer, and apart from a few scary moments with the Echo of Death and one or two of the encounter mobs, Ive had no problems at all.

Im intrigued by the talk of the Sage soldier though, and considering the relative ease of getting a soldier to rank/skillset 6, I might have to give it a go.