We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Minimizing downtime while leveling?

Hello,

I haven't played the game in a while, but since I came back it seems like I'm taking a lot more damage in combat while soloing.

(This may be in part from the sudden boost of levels and not having my gear catch up)

I find that if I attack a mob 2-3 levels above me my health is down to 25% by the end of the fight.

I was looking at the possibility of loading up on food to help minimize my down time, but I was also wondering if there were other options that would help?

Or perhaps I'm not using a solid rotation for my attacks? I tend to:
    1. Barbed Arrow
    2. Swift Bow
    3. Quick shot
    4. Penetrating shot (I have enough focus by now)
    (now I'm in melee)
    4. Go to town with my melee attacks for that last couple 100 of hitpoints.

Re: Minimizing downtime while leveling?

First: Get [trait]Deadly Precision[/trait] and [trait]Strong Draw[/trait]. Permanently slot them. If you've already done this, good job.

Second: You should use Penetrating Shot every time it's off cooldown. Same with Rain of Arrows. Nothing beats those two for damage output.

Second-and-a-half: Always use [skill]Focus[/skill] before you start a fight. Focus (the game mechanic) = damage, and Focus (the skill) doesn't have a cooldown for a reason. If you get jumped and have it available, use [skill]Intent Concentration[/skill].

Third: Check your gear. For solo work, your focus should be on Morale and Vitality first and Agility a close second. Always keep your bow up to date.

===

For a shot rotation, it should be something like this:

SB > PS > RoA > lolBA > PS > QS > QS > PS

Key:
    SB: Swift Bow
    PS: Penetrating Shot
    RoA: Rain of Arrows
    lolBA*: Barbed Arrow
    QS: Quick Shot

Quick Shot is nice and all (provided you're in S:Strength), but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

*- The "lolBA" thing came about because Barbed Arrow was such a hideous joke of a skill for a long time. When the skill was buffed, the hunter community needed a way to distinguish it from Bard's Arrow (also abbreviated BA), and "lolBA" was my choice. For those who don't catch the reference, here's the skinny.
    Last edited by CWood; Jun 02 2010 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWood View Post
    First: Get [trait]Deadly Precision[/trait] and [trait]Strong Draw[/trait]. Permanently slot them. If you've already done this, good job.

Second: You should use Penetrating Shot every time it's off cooldown. Same with Rain of Arrows. Nothing beats those two for damage output.

Second-and-a-half: Always use [skill]Focus[/skill] before you start a fight. Focus (the game mechanic) = damage, and Focus (the skill) doesn't have a cooldown for a reason. If you get jumped and have it available, use [skill]Intent Concentration[/skill].

Third: Check your gear. For solo work, your focus should be on Morale and Vitality first and Agility a close second. Always keep your bow up to date.

===

For a shot rotation, it should be something like this:

SB > PS > RoA > lolBA > PS > QS > QS > PS

Key:
    SB: Swift Bow
    PS: Penetrating Shot
    RoA: Rain of Arrows
    lolBA*: Barbed Arrow
    QS: Quick Shot

Quick Shot is nice and all (provided you're in S:Strength), but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

*- The "lolBA" thing came about because Barbed Arrow was such a hideous joke of a skill for a long time. When the skill was buffed, the hunter community needed a way to distinguish it from Bard's Arrow (also abbreviated BA), and "lolBA" was my choice. For those who don't catch the reference, here's the skinny.
    Put your trust in this. And read all of CWood's guide. Game changing.

Quote Originally Posted by hex2323 View Post
    Link? I'd be interested in reading that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000038edc/01003/signature.png]Pelcatas[/charsig]
    Pelcatas Logosí, Co-Founder of The Goblin Gate Gang
    4.5Ghz, 8GB DDR3, (2) ATI 4870x2, 2TB HDD, 27" LCD

Somewhere around MoM, Pots and Food became necessary even when Solo. This is good for Crafters, but expensive for most Players. You have to rely on them both and you will go through stacks of them like there is no tomorrow.

Secondly, and more importantly, is that a Hunter isn't just a one-trick DPS pony. You have great CC. Learn to use it. Hunters can be squishy, therefore don't let your enemies get close. Use your Traps, Craftable Traps, and RoT to control each and every encounter (and your Bards Arrow if you have it). Don't forget your Cry of the Predator too! Basically, if your enemies are getting up close and personal, then you aren't leveraging all of the abilities of a Hunter.

There are all kind of items, namely jewelery, that increase OOC regeneration.

Also don't forget to pop wound, poison and disease pots during the fight so that you don't leak so much in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Praetorian View Post
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=149804

And there's stuff at the end of the thread with updated info, but it's more of a playstyle thing than a numbers thing. Pariah has a good guide too. And there's one other I can't think of off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Praetorian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hex2323 View Post
    Focus Burn 101

Note: The guide is so far out of date that it's almost irrelevant. Take any gear, trait, or stat advice with a several grains of salt, and use your brain. The basic philosophy is still solid; just the nuts-and-bolts aren't.

===

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    Secondly, and more importantly, is that a Hunter isn't just a one-trick DPS pony. You have great CC. Learn to use it.
    Very good point.
    Last edited by CWood; Jun 02 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWood View Post
    Focus Burn 101

Note: The guide is so far out of date that it's almost irrelevant. Take any gear, trait, or stat advice with a several grains of salt, and use your brain. The basic philosophy is still solid; just the nuts-and-bolts aren't.
    Thanks. I found the thread and actually read the whole thing. Fantastic thread. Lots of good info, and it'll definitely change the way I play... assuming I can eventually figure out why I can't login. *sigh*

Anyway, the link at the end for updated info doesn't work, so I guess I'll be searching for the "new" info manually.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000038edc/01003/signature.png]Pelcatas[/charsig]
    Pelcatas Logosí, Co-Founder of The Goblin Gate Gang
    4.5Ghz, 8GB DDR3, (2) ATI 4870x2, 2TB HDD, 27" LCD