We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How to use my symbol?

So I got lucky and picked up a Symbol of Cerebrimbor (sic) on my Captain last night, and I am trying to decide how to use it. On the one hand I would love to have a 2nd age emblem. However, it is so hard to get a usable emblem. RC cool-down is really a must have and you really want one of vocal or RC healing but you only get 2-4 starting legacies and those are all pool A So I am leaning towards getting a Halberd where I will likely get something useful. So chime in. I finally got a good 3rd age emblem (RC CD, Vocal healing and several other good legacies at L26, but no RC healing). Likewise I have several good weapons I am leveling up. None are perfect, but several look to be good enough. Chime in and let me know. Don't bother suggesting selling the symbol. I know this makes the most sense from an economics standpoint.

Copacetic

Re: How to use my symbol?

I don't play a captain so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But as a minstrel I noticed that a level 60 second age songbook is not a lot different than a level 65 third age one (I say that because I haven't done the grinding for scrolls to level up my legacy tiers. A fully maxed level 65 would be a different story, probably).

But on a weapon, the DPS is substantially higher on a level 65 weapon. So you may find that using the symbol on a weapon has more immediate benefits.

I say go with what you want though. We all know the chances of the symbol making an awesome item are small...so what would you rather have? An AWESOME weapon, or an AWESOME symbol?
    [COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][B][SIZE=3]Kynji[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

DPS on a 2nd age weapon is around 3-4% more so I wouldn't get too hung up about that - it's more important to have telling mark. I had a really nice 3rd age weapon (5 pool A legacies) so I went with an emblem first.

What do you do mostly? Raid, solo, fellow?

If you're raiding BG the emblem would be nice for the healing boost. If you solo a lot then the wpn would probably give you a small boost. 6-man it's probably a toss up (but if you're the main healer then emblem).

Think of it this way;
    Weapon without telling mark = fail
    Emblem without RC cooldown = fail

Choose wisely...

I would suggest an emblem. You can have terrible luck with them, but the same can be said for weapons. On the other hand, you'll have higher top-end heals if you get a nice emblem, just from ranking up the tactical rating on it.

I had someone make me a second age emblem, and it turned out terrible... the only use it will have is swapping out for SoW. But, if you can get some of the good legacies on it, you'll be set, and have plenty of points to stick in it!

I would go ahead and make a weapon with it.

If it ID's and you hate the initial legacies throw it on the AH. Someone will see a teal 2nd age 65 and buyout.
    Second Marshal Hurth
    Skill and Valour
    Arkenstone

In terms of secondary class items the 60 first and second ages legacies are usually much better than their 65 second age counterparts. I would go with a weapon first because it will have the most impact on anything you do in regards to soloing and pvmp and depending on the legacies you unlock, it could also have a higher impact on fellowing and raiding via buffs and debuffs.
    Thanks,

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000b138e/01007/signature.png]Malranphor[/charsig]

In all honesty, I would just sell the thing. If you have good third ages, just wait a month or two for the second ages to drop like candy.

But if you aren't going to sell it, I would make an emblem.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    In all honesty, I would just sell the thing. If you have good third ages, just wait a month or two for the second ages to drop like candy.

But if you aren't going to sell it, I would make an emblem.
    I agree. Sell it and buy your ideal 3rd age level 65 LI off the AH and enough scrolls of empowerment to max out its legacies.

Or if you just HAVE to keep it, make an emblem. Personally, I have 3 must have weapon A-pool legacies, but only 2 must have emblem legacies. I'd be more likely to get a good enough emblem than a good enough halberd.

I mostly fellow. I would raid more, but my kin is just below critical mass...

Copacetic

Sell it, or wait for the eventual LI system over-haul.

Thumbs up Re: How to use my symbol?

I read the original post: 'Don't bother suggesting selling the symbol'.

So,

If you're happy with the current emblem in inventory, then craft a two-hander weapon and hope for the best when you get it ID'd. If you don't like what you get, sell it. If you're not happy with the emblem you have currently, sstart collecting Nimrodel coins and bartering for a lvl60 1st age emblem; because in most cases, you'll end up with something decent that you can use (raiding or buffing).
    [IMG]http://lotro-wiki.com/images/7/77/Burglar-icon.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by BoardGamer View Post
    Don't bother suggesting selling the symbol.
    Ok, give it away then.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I would say get a symbol, besides telling mark and To Arms there aren't a lot of incredibly important things to get on a weapon so a 3rd age will be more than sufficient.

Emblem's Rock!!! In either case it's going to be playing the lotto to see if you get a good item so there's little you can do about it.

Please do not waste it on making an emblem. That would be a very unwise move. If you are in search of an emblem go for a level 59 first age. Because our class LI does not have DPS, level barely matters. Make a weapon or sell it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000246f/signature.png]Laertes[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Ordenus View Post
    I would say get a symbol, besides telling mark and To Arms there aren't a lot of incredibly important things to get on a weapon so a 3rd age will be more than sufficient.
    Pressing Attack targets...

Anyway, yeah it's too hard to get a perfect weapon or emblem in the current climate, so I would go with selling it as well. If you're set on making one of them, make an emblem and cross your fingers - if you get very, very lucky, you'll end up with 4 legacies on identify, and if you get insanely lucky, you'll get the ones you actually want.

But my current problem with my 3rd age symbol is that I can only max my big 4. I would very much like to have melee heal on there as well, but there just isn't room for it. I'd love to have the extra points from a 2nd age.
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Baradimir View Post
    If you are in search of an emblem go for a level 59 first age. Because our class LI does not have DPS, level barely matters.
    Unless you want to make one that actually heals...

Please do not waste it on making an emblem. That would be a very unwise move. If you are in search of an emblem go for a level 59 first age. Because our class LI does not have DPS, level barely matters. Make a weapon or sell it.
    I'd personally just sell it, as the chance of getting the legacies you need is too small.

That said, I think a lvl 65 emblem is a win because of:
    1) crafted relics you can use
    2) 65s have a better inherent tactical healing rating

And a 65 SA emblem would let you add points to a 5th legacy, say melee healing, that might not make the cut on an ideal 65 TA emblem (say 2xRC, VH, SoW).

Anyone have actual numbers on healing output for a 59 FA vs a 65 TA with same legacies and relics (except 65 gets a good crafted relic) by any chance?
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Jun 08 2010 at 02:16 PM.

The point is moot. I made a Halberd and got two bloody legacies at ID and only one was useful (PA targets). On the plus side I started leveling up a 3rd age Halberd I bought at the AH. It started out with Telling Mark, To Arms and Kick and picked up PA targets at L10! So needless to say that will be hard to beat. The only issue is lowish tiers, which means lots of skirmishes...

LI lottery for the loss then win!

Copacetic

The point is moot. I made a Halberd and got two bloody legacies at ID and only one was useful (PA targets). On the plus side I started leveling up a 3rd age Halberd I bought at the AH. It started out with Telling Mark, To Arms and Kick and picked up PA targets at L10! So needless to say that will be hard to beat. The only issue is lowish tiers, which means lots of skirmishes...

Copacetic
    Congrats. I've ground through at least 70 LIs in the last few weeks trying to get one with all 4. After grinding out only halberds for the first 20-25, I have now started including everything possible and still have yet to get one with all 4.

Hopefully, your inherent buffs are good, too.

Personally I run with a 60FA emblem simply because it's got the legacies I want on it and its much easier getting a FA emblem than a 652A simply because symbols are hard(ish) to get
    I know a lot of kinnies who burn through emblems because the RNG screwed them over so either way youre a bit screwed

To that end: Go with whichever one you feel needs replacing
    Although i would go with a weapon because it helps our dps (not that it makes that much difference)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000017f9cc/signature.png]Forster[/charsig]

If I recall isn't the difference in tactical healing between a first age and second age 65 around 4-5 points which makes about an 8-10% difference...which is close to having whatever healing legacy you want on it. Maybe some captains don't rank up their tactical healing rank, but I think it is quite important...

If I recall isn't the difference in tactical healing between a first age and second age 65 around 4-5 points which makes about an 8-10% difference...which is close to having whatever healing legacy you want on it. Maybe some captains don't rank up their tactical healing rank, but I think it is quite important...
    That sounds about right.

Basically, if you want to maximize your RC heal output, you get RC Healing, RC Cooldown, Vocal Healing, all on a lvl 65 emblem with 2 relics to help healing output. Of course, you also buff the snot out of your Will...

If you are in search of an emblem go for a level 59 first age. Because our class LI does not have DPS, level barely matters.
    Terrible, terrible, terrible information...

Copacetic
    I tried to warn you!!

yeah it is
    Kraken, Thesungodra