We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Arrow I'm Back, Baby... And I Need Some Help

Hello, fellow Hunters!

I have been gone from the game for more than a year, though I play occasionally when there's a Welcome Back Weekend. This last weekend I was impressed enough with the Skirmish system and interested enough in general to decide to re-up my subscription - at least for another three months.

Of course, the day I do this is the day that I can't connect to the game, but that's another story.

The first thing I noticed when I came back is that there have been a LOT of changes since I was playing the game regularly (not just including the whole SoM expansion. ). So many changes, in fact, that I'm left speechless trying to figure out just where to go from here.

I've included my current stats, traits (as I can remember, since I can't login) and equipment below for reference. I have several questions, and I'm looking for recommendations in general based on my play style and time I'm willing to spend on the game.

I prefer to solo in most cases, although I'm not opposed to fellowing. I recently completed some of the Books that had been laying dormant in my quest log solo, thanks to the bonuses you get from doing that. I was pretty impressed when I took down 12-15k mobs by myself. I don't have a lot of time to play the game, usually a few hours a couple nights a week during the week and then five-six on the weekend.

I'm not a trapper/crowd-control hunter - I prefer to snipe from as far away as possible with as much damage as possible. I usually run in Strength stance when soloing, but move to Endurance when fellowing to allow champs or guardians to keep aggro. After all, a couple fire-oiled Penetrating Shots will pull just about anything. And yes, I know not to use AoE while fellowing.

1. What equipment would best fit this play style?

2. What traits would work best? I've been reading that slotting 5 traits of any one legendary type (bowmaster, huntsman, etc) is usually not worth the effort - especially in the case of Fleet Stance, which I must say, seemed excessively worthless on first read.

3. What should I be concentrating on, in terms of quest lines (e.g. Moria quests, Mirkwood) in order to maximize my chances of getting whatever equipment I need?

4. I always seem to be short on cash. I discovered the bounties in the Skirmish missions, but is there another good resource for building my current lack of funds into the stellar bank accounts I see from other people?

5. The entirety of the Legendary Item system confuses the bleeding blue hell out of me. I have to reforge my bow apparently since it leveled up (I got the notification the other day while playing), but I honestly have no idea which of the items/relics/whatever to slot where or... argh! I quite simply don't have the time and I'm not willing to spend the effort to learn the ins and outs of the system to the degree of a standard min/maxer. Help!

I'm also willing to consider any other suggestions or recommendations that you might have, and I look forward to rocking the lands of Eriador (and beyond) once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Equipment/Stats
    (Thanks to geoboy!)

Class Traits:
    • Barbed Fury
    • Critical Eye
    • True Shot
    • Deadly Precision
    • Hail of Arrows
    • Fast Draw

Racial Traits:
    • Strength of Morale
    • Duty-Bound

Legendary Traits:
    • Rain of Thorns
    • Press Onward
    Last edited by Crimson_Praetorian; Jun 02 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Cause I'm kind of an idiot.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000038edc/01003/signature.png]Pelcatas[/charsig]
    Pelcatas Logosí, Co-Founder of The Goblin Gate Gang
    4.5Ghz, 8GB DDR3, (2) ATI 4870x2, 2TB HDD, 27" LCD

Re: I'm Back, Baby... And I Need Some Help

To save people some time, I've linked your profile.

http://my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/pelcatas/

The first thing I noticed is that you don't have a Legendary in your main hand, and you don't have a weapon in your off-hand. Get an off-hand with some useful stats like morale/vit and agililty.

Also, get a legendary bow with a more appropriate level. A level 55 bow will do you well. You can barter for both the Main hand and bow legendary items with the broken dwarf tools. If you don't have any, ask in trade if someone will get you few items They can trade you the legendary items, not the barter item. Normal pay is about 50s per item. Just working on the epic questline in moria will net you some good armor items.

I suggest Bard's arrow instead of press onward. In solo work especially , it can help you fight multiple mobs at once.
    Last edited by geoboy; Jun 02 2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

Well, I am going to suggest Bow of the Rightious instead of Press Onward.
    Arthad Eketta Former Drill Sgt U.S. Army Reserves
    Shin Ki-jun on Turbine's Asheron's Call Morningthaw Server
    Officer of The Fellowship of the Rogues on the Brandywine Server

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    To save people some time, I've linked your profile.

http://my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/pelcatas/

The first thing I noticed is that you don't have a Legendary in your main hand, and you don't have a weapon in your off-hand. Get an off-hand with some useful stats like morale/vit and agililty.

Also, get a legendary bow with a more appropriate level. A level 55 bow will do you well. You can barter for both the Main hand and bow legendary items with the broken dwarf tools. If you don't have any, ask in trade if someone will get you few items They can trade you the legendary items, not the barter item. Normal pay is about 50s per item. Just working on the epic questline in moria will net you some good armor items.

I suggest Bard's arrow instead of press onward. In solo work especially , it can help you fight multiple mobs at once.
    Thanks for the link - I didn't realize they were public links, and I've edited the OP accordingly.

I didn't have an off-hand weapon because the spear is a two-hander. At the time I had it crafted, that was the best way to go, but that was admittedly quite awhile ago. Any particular legendary item and/or off-hand that you would recommend? I have some broken dwarf tools (not sure how many), so I'll see what I can do on that score.

Quote Originally Posted by ArahadEketta View Post
    Well, I am going to suggest Bow of the Rightious instead of Press Onward.
    Press Onward isn't something I use very often, so I'll look into swapping that out. I don't have Bow of the Righteous yet (the thrice-damned Rune of Winged Dominance and Putrid Slime have thus far eluded me), or I would've slotted that a LONG time ago.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000038edc/01003/signature.png]Pelcatas[/charsig]

Maybe I'm senile...but when were spears ever 2-hand? Said another way, when could Hunters use 2H weapons? I think you may be mistaken on that one.

My thoughts below:

Note to the community: please this reply in context of the OP's constraints. He's not a min/maxer.

1. What equipment would best fit this play style?
    Armor: Lucky for you this is easy to answer: 4 pieces of Moria radiance gear (Great Bow) plus 2 pieces of Mirkwood radiance gear (Swift Arrow).

Both a laughably easy to acquire now.

Note that there *are* complete sets with set bonuses but given your constraints I think you'll be happy with the above and they are easy to acquire.

Great Bow: you need Medallions of Moria. You get those by killing Moria 6-man instance bosses (technically you get them from looting chests as well as completing "Challenge" quests). People tend to farm Grand Stair Hard Mode for these the most. So be on the lookout for groups doing "GS HM" in lff or something like that. A GS Hard Mode run in a decent group takes ~30 minutes (give or take 15) and is good for 7 medallions. You need 70 medallions for the above mentioned armor.

Swift Arrow: you need Medallions of Dol Guldur. You get these by killing Mirkwood 3 and 6 man instance bosses. People tend to farm Sword Halls on Easy Mode for these. So be on the lookout for "SH EM". A SH EM run takes 10-20 minutes depending on how you do it and nets 2-3 medallions depending on how you do it (but you can repeat it over and over). I can't remember exactly how many you need for the above armor but I think it's 35.

For weapons you want a good off-hand...you can get these all over: quests, the instances mentioned above, or barter merchants in Mirkwood. If you like Skirmishes, you can also barter for that gear.

For your main hand you want a Legendary weapon. Don't worry about legacies and relics until you get level 65 weapons. EDIT: except get Find the Path Movement Speed, you'll like that for soloing

For a bow you want a Legendary bow. Maximize DPS first. Again don't worry about legacies and relics until you get lvl 65 bows.

2. What traits would work best?
    For your play-style I would go with 4 Blue, 1 Red (Deadly Precision), and whatever else looks fun. For solo work I like Combat Traps and Heightened Senses because both help with soloing both quests and flake droppers. But you should be willing to swap a couple in groups. For example you might want the longer fear in a group (Strong Intimidation), or you might want further power reduction in Endurance Stance (Graceful Draw).

The reason I suggest this, as opposed to going heavy Bowmaster, is less power usage for your soloing efforts.

3. What should I be concentrating on, in terms of quest lines (e.g. Moria quests, Mirkwood) in order to maximize my chances of getting whatever equipment I need?
    Totally irrelevant, as I've mentioned. You don't need to do any quests at all to get the gear I mentioned. You could, in fact, level on skirmishes if that's your bag.

That being said get to level 60 ASAP and leave Moria (to Lothlorien). I.e. do the minimal amount of work in Moria to get to 60. You could even go 59 but some of the Lothorien quests are pretty rough at 59.

The reason I say this is Moria, while very well done, is a huge mess when it comes to travel, MOB concentration/respawn, and quests. I actually feel bad suggesting this since it sounds like you've never leveled through Moria you are denying yourself the experience of some very well-designed landscape. But as leveling goes it's hell. Lothlorien and Mirkwood are so much more straight-forward.

The biggest value to doing quests in Moria is:

• Swift travel between towns.
    • The goat (mount).
    • One of your legendary skills requires Moria Guard reputation.

However you can go back and get all of the above at 65 with the benefit much of Moria being gray MOBs that won't attack.

4. I always seem to be short on cash. I discovered the bounties in the Skirmish missions, but is there another good resource for building my current lack of funds into the stellar bank accounts I see from other people?
    Do you care? Because you really don't need money for much of anything, especially not being a min/maxer. The money you make from quests and groups and selling vendor trash will be totally sufficient.

5. The entirety of the Legendary Item system confuses the bleeding blue hell out of me. I have to reforge my bow apparently since it leveled up (I got the notification the other day while playing), but I honestly have no idea which of the items/relics/whatever to slot where or... argh! I quite simply don't have the time and I'm not willing to spend the effort to learn the ins and outs of the system to the degree of a standard min/maxer. Help!
    Get your legendaries, max out the DPS, and don't worry about it (if you really want to). But this is one area of the game you can't really "gloss over". If you want to invest in the Legendary system you'll need to understand it.
    Last edited by Bigtuna00; Jun 02 2010 at 05:52 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR="PaleGreen"]Explorer 100%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Achiever 67%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Yellow"]Socializer 33%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Red"]Killer 13%[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Maybe I'm senile...but when were spears ever 2-hand? Said another way, when could Hunters use 2H weapons? I think you may be mistaken on that one.

My thoughts below:

<*excellent advice*>
    I could be completely and utterly wrong about the spear - but remember, it has been a LONG time since I've played regularly, so even though I probably had a good reason at the time, I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

As to the rest, I can't thank you enough. That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. There's such a steep learning curve coming back that I was feeling more than a little overwhelmed.

I did read CWood's "Focus Burn 101" guide - yes, all the way to the end. So I've got quite a few good notes on some traits (more to the end due to differences) and that sounds a lot like my playstyle. I'm sure I'll take quite a bit of info from there.

You only left me with one question: Which pieces of the armor do I get from which sets? I haven't looked at them yet so I may be asking a moot question.

Thanks again for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Praetorian View Post
    You only left me with one question: Which pieces of the armor do I get from which sets? I haven't looked at them yet so I may be asking a moot question.
    Yep, moot question: for Moria armor you can only get 4 pieces because you have to do the Watcher for the other 2. So get the 4 Moria pieces, and fill the other two with Mirkwood.

FWIW it's Legs, Gloves, Chest, and Boots for Moria, Helm and Shoulders from Mirkwood.

And I was in a similar situation to yours: came back to the game after a 9 month break. Felt totally overwhelmed as well. It will pass. I made the effort of reading over every patch note before I started up again. It was largely a waste of time

And again to be clear: the advice I offered is min/maxing in a way: it's to maximize rewards with minimal effort given your time constraints. You are missing out on a lot of "content" doing this. But OTOH you can still do "content" at 65.
    [CENTER][COLOR="PaleGreen"]Explorer 100%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Achiever 67%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Yellow"]Socializer 33%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Red"]Killer 13%[/COLOR][/CENTER]

I don't have anything against min/maxing, at all. I do that for my monthly RPG, where I can spend time looking at the different options.

I used to missing content, though - my kin back in the day when I was playing regularly were always giving me grief and heckling me to get my chars up to 40, 50, etc.

I'm an altaholic, too, so that's probably not helping. *lol*

So I looked at CWood's "Focus Burn 101" thread yesterday, and used a lot of the ideas in there when I re-traited and rebuilt the character (after a fashion).

I still haven't managed to find a legendary off-hand weapon (I don't even know if they exist for sure), but I did manage to snag a dagger with +Needful Haste duration, -Beneath Notice cooldown, and +FtP Movement. Yay me!

I also swapped the traits around, as well as some of the virtues, and lo and behold, my hunter is a bad-*** now! I don't think I used more than 1 celebrant pots the entire time I was solo'ing 15.12 (Mordrambor and Mordirith). I never ran out of power, although I did get really low a couple times.

For reference, I was running in S:E with light oils and mainly using QS > PS > QS > SB > PS or a derivation thereof.

Can't wait to see how good he becomes when I manage to snag all the equipment I need!

The gear is already looking a lot better. You'll want to look for a better off-hand weapon, but that's not a huge deal. When you get a quest reward that's better, use it.

As for the spears, they are 1-hand, but can only be used in the main hand. Therefore, you can't dual wield spears or even use one in the off-hand, and so crafted spears at level 50+ are utterly useless, no point for them existing.

You leggings need to be replaced asap, but again, it's not going to break you.

I wouldn't use S:E for solo at all. If you are having power problems, use precision, but for the most part, strength is the way to go for solo play. I rarely ever use S:E unless grouped with a lousy tank or in special situations.

I'm not an expert on hunter rotations, but with SoM, there have been changes to the focus-burn rotation.

Here's a couple threads you might be interested in.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=330114

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=329171
    Last edited by geoboy; Jun 03 2010 at 09:46 AM.

I think that you may have thought a spear was a two hand weapon because you cannot off hand a spear. If you have it in your main you can still weild another weapon. Careful though, Legendary Weapons must also be in your main hand, so if you like the look of a spear then make sure you get a legendary spear otherwise you will not be able to wield one.

Tydalmir
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208010000043945/signature.png]Rancor[/charsig]

Vyxe said, "Cheer up it could be worse out here tonight." So we all cheered up, and wouldn't you know it.... things got worse!

The gear is already looking a lot better. You'll want to look for a better off-hand weapon, but that's not a huge deal. When you get a quest reward that's better, use it.

As for the spears, they are 1-hand, but can only be used in the main hand. Therefore, you can't dual wield spears or even use one in the off-hand, and so crafted spears at level 50+ are utterly useless, no point for them existing.

You leggings need to be replaced asap, but again, it's not going to break you.

I wouldn't use S:E for solo at all. If you are having power problems, use precision, but for the most part, strength is the way to go for solo play. I rarely ever use S:E unless grouped with a lousy tank or in special situations.

I'm not an expert on hunter rotations, but with SoM, there have been changes to the focus-burn rotation.

Here's a couple threads you might be interested in.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=330114

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=329171
    I'll work on getting the leggings from Moria (the Great Bow armor) first - that's where I'm at atm.

I was mainly using S:E to see how it worked with the traits, and forgot to turn it off. Probably took me a little longer to kill some mobs, but it was still useful. I ran through power a bit faster in S:S when I tried that (before the S:E), but I don't recall actually running out... and if I get low, i can always switch to S:E or even S:P.

Thanks for the threads, I'll check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinluen View Post
    I think that you may have thought a spear was a two hand weapon because you cannot off hand a spear. If you have it in your main you can still weild another weapon. Careful though, Legendary Weapons must also be in your main hand, so if you like the look of a spear then make sure you get a legendary spear otherwise you will not be able to wield one.

Tydalmir
    That's entirely possible, Tinluen. I don't really care about the look of it, although I will admit to having gotten used to my spear. I might try to find a sword if I can find one, but I'm not that picky.

I still haven't managed to find a legendary off-hand weapon (I don't even know if they exist for sure), but I did manage to snag a dagger with +Needful Haste duration, -Beneath Notice cooldown, and +FtP Movement. Yay me!
    Sorry, should have been clear about that: each class gets two legendary item types. For Hunter's it's bow and main-hand weapon. No off-hand legendaries.

And also to be clear (not sure if you read this already): weapon speeds were removed from the game so your dagger is the same speed and DPS as any 1-hand weapon of the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Sorry, should have been clear about that: each class gets two legendary item types. For Hunter's it's bow and main-hand weapon. No off-hand legendaries.

And also to be clear (not sure if you read this already): weapon speeds were removed from the game so your dagger is the same speed and DPS as any 1-hand weapon of the same level.
    Ah, so provided the two items are the same level, the only difference between them would be legs and the look. Good to know. I'll probably end up going with a sword and something else, then, just because I like that look better than the others. I'm not in any hurry though.

Thanks for the headsup!

I don't have Bow of the Righteous yet (the thrice-damned Rune of Winged Dominance and Putrid Slime have thus far eluded me), or I would've slotted that a LONG time ago.
    The rune and slime can also be obtained with skirmish marks now (check the curiousities skirmish vendor). It's a large amount for them, but that's an option if you can't/don't want to get a group for CD.

About the spear....a lot of other games have spears as 2-handers. I remember when I first started playing this game I automatically assumed the spears were 2 handed. I found out otherwise later, but it took a little getting used to.
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

Theres a few offhand weapons that can be made by crafters that are good for hunters. I like the stats on both the Galadhrim and Malledhrim daggers.

I'm still using a Flawless Galadhrim Dagger http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Weapo...ladhrim_Dagger
    Last edited by Wyelde; Jun 03 2010 at 02:28 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000bfdb7/01007/signature.png]Wyelde[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Doronlas View Post
    The rune and slime can also be obtained with skirmish marks now (check the curiousities skirmish vendor). It's a large amount for them, but that's an option if you can't/don't want to get a group for CD.

About the spear....a lot of other games have spears as 2-handers. I remember when I first started playing this game I automatically assumed the spears were 2 handed. I found out otherwise later, but it took a little getting used to.
    Yeah, I've got 500 of the 5,200 skirmish marks that I'll need for those two items. Might be easier just to run through CD a couple hundred times. *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by Wyelde View Post
    Theres a few offhand weapons that can be made by crafters that are good for hunters. I like the stats on both the Galadhrim and Malledhrim daggers.

I'm still using a Flawless Galadhrim Dagger http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Weapo...ladhrim_Dagger
    Okay, request has been sent to my buddy and former kinsman the supreme weaponsmith. Thanks!
    Last edited by Crimson_Praetorian; Jun 03 2010 at 03:37 PM.

So I did some research on the Lorebook today, and it seems that this is probably the best equipment I can get (assuming I can find someone to craft them).

Ranged:
    Reforged Hunter's Bow of the Second Age

Melee:
    Main Hand
    Reforged Hunter's Sword of the Second Age
    The link to the actual sword page works but turns up an empty page; you can mouse over the weapon on this page and get the info, though)

Off-Hand
    Malledhrim Sword of Force
    I know I'm restricted to a one-handed weapon in the off-hand, and the Malledhrim Sword seems to be among the best of that group (which includes the Axe, Dagger, and Mace of Force, etc). I don't really care if it's a sword or axe or whatever in that hand, but I have to admit dual-wielding two swords would be pretty cool to look at.

I need to get a class item, and this seems to be the best of the ones I would use for the style of play that I like:

Major Tome of the Wind-Rider

I understand that I equip it in my class slot (something that didn't exist the last time I played regularly, lol), but is this something that is passively active or do I need to add something to my hotbar, etc to use it?

A couple other items I'd like to pick up:

Peerless Turtle-shell Bracelet This has a funny player entry in the lorebook, too. I know two of these would be a bear to get, but woof, would they be worth it.

Glowing Aureate Hoop of Precision Looks nice.

Superior Tools of the Armourer If this is what I think it is (meaning that you can carry all three tools in one inventory slot), then this is the best. crafting. change. ever. *lol*

I think the flawless galadhrim dagger is better. It's got in combat power regen as well as morale and agility. I'll trade that much icpr and agility for a little fate and power any day.

I think the flawless galadhrim dagger is better. It's got in combat power regen as well as morale and agility. I'll trade that much icpr and agility for a little fate and power any day.
    Good point. I was mainly looking at the 3.6 DPS difference (62 on the sword vs. 58.4 on the dagger), but the difference in morale is MUCH higher that that would justify, plus the dagger increases the auto-attack crit chance, which is a significant portion of my attack damage overall.

I need to get a class item, and this seems to be the best of the ones I would use for the style of play that I like:

Major Tome of the Wind-Rider

I understand that I equip it in my class slot (something that didn't exist the last time I played regularly, lol), but is this something that is passively active or do I need to add something to my hotbar, etc to use it?
    It's passive, just equip it and it will work without you having to do anything else
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

Ah, so provided the two items are the same level, the only difference between them would be legs and the look.
    And the "proc" and any "static" non-legacy buffs, but only minor variations there. I agree that picking based on appearance is absolutely viable

Good point. I was mainly looking at the 3.6 DPS difference (62 on the sword vs. 58.4 on the dagger), but the difference in morale is MUCH higher that that would justify, plus the dagger increases the auto-attack crit chance, which is a significant portion of my attack damage overall.
    How much melee DPS do you plan on doing? You should be trying to spend as much time as possible at range from mobs using CC. That will increase your DPS and survivability.

How much melee DPS do you plan on doing? You should be trying to spend as much time as possible at range from mobs using CC. That will increase your DPS and survivability.
    Which is exactly what I realized while comparing the two.

Just wanted to reiterate my thanks for those who helped me get back into playing this toon; I'm having a blast with him!

I've played through my last three levels (56 - 59) with him using the strategies and revised build foci that I got from here and elsewhere, and he's fun to play again. He's not overpowered anymore, but still feels like a badass - and that's what I wanted from the game, so thanks very much!

Ran the Durub guys just south of 21st hall last night with three hunters - 51, 53 and 58 (me) - and boy... that felt like overkill. Like by a lot.