We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I don't understand NH

I know it has to be a great skill because everyone talks about it when it comes to Legendary weapons and such but I just do not understand it's duration and how to take advantage of it. Am I that stupid or is it quite obscure to understand from the description of the skill? How do you all use it when and how do you get the most out of it?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000171545/01008/signature.png]Tubruk[/charsig]

Re: I don't understand NH

to sum it up, it makes you shoot arrows faster. which means you can shoot more arrows in a certain length of time. the legacy makes you shoot arrows faster for a longer period of time. use it whenever you can, especially when you're getting pounded on in melee.
    Forgotten_Legend, The Baconnaire
    Malinon - 75 Champion | JAZRAIEL - 100 HUNTER | Taeran - 75 RuneKeeper

Yes, basically Needful Haste reduces your attack speed by 25% and reduces the inductions on swift bow and barbed arrow. Basically it allows you to fire more shots while the skill is active.
    It lasts for 30 seconds by default. Getting the +needful haste duration legacy can be extremely useful depending on how you play.

For me, it didn't really come into it's own until I earnt "Resolute Aim" which I think is using neeful haste 200 (500?) times. With this trait, your inductions cannot be set back. So if you have multiple mobs beating on you, you are still able to pull off swift bow, quick shot, heartseeker, barbed arrow without any delays. I personally think the trait is essential, but YMMV.

Edited to say barbed arrow
    Last edited by hamle; Jun 01 2010 at 12:41 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aad21/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by hamle View Post
    Yes, basically Needful Haste reduces your attack speed by 25% and reduces the inductions on swift bow and quick shot. Basically it allows you to fire more shots while the skill is active.
    It lasts for 30 seconds by default. Getting the +needful haste duration legacy can be extremely useful depending on how you play.

For me, it didn't really come into it's own until I earnt "Resolute Aim" which I think is using neeful haste 200 (500?) times. With this trait, your inductions cannot be set back. So if you have multiple mobs beating on you, you are still able to pull off swift bow, quick shot, heartseeker, barbed arrow without any delays. I personally think the trait is essential, but YMMV.
    This... I really nvr used it til I got resolute aim, but now that I have it it's so much easier to take down stuff that's beating on me
    [b][color=green]Zekorr hnt-r9 (brandy)[/color] ~ [color=blue]Backstabzz burg-r8[/color] ~ [color=blue]Cashout grd-r7[/color]~ [color=blue]Arkorz warg-r7[/color] ~ [color=blue]Zekor ba-r6[/color] ~[color=blue]Bashr rvr-r7[/color]

-Gladden[/b]

It reduces the induction time of Swift Bow and Barbed Arrow to around the same as one Quick Shot, on top of increasing your attack speed (faster attack speed = more dps). So, it makes a big difference in how much damage you can put out.

When I pop NH, I change my rotation to the following:
    QS/ISB/PS/QS/BA/PS/QS/QS/PS/repeat, substituting a PS for RoA if dealing with multiple mobs.
    Last edited by Rainyman; Jun 01 2010 at 01:15 AM.
    [CENTER][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=pink]S[SIZE=1]TROZZAPRETI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 10/X6|[COLOR=olive]R[SIZE=1]IGATONI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 8|[COLOR=red]G[SIZE=1]NOCCHI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 7|[COLOR=blue]M[SIZE=1]ACCHERONI[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] 7|[COLOR=yellow]R[SIZE=1]AVIOLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6|[COLOR=orange]F[SIZE=1]USILLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6
    A[SIZE=1]STERIX[/SIZE]|C[SIZE=1]HARAKHA[/SIZE]|K[SIZE=1]HAGATAI[/SIZE]|V[SIZE=1]ORO[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Playing on JQ in GW2
    [/CENTER]

Yes, basically Needful Haste reduces your attack speed by 25% and reduces the inductions on swift bow and Barbed Arrow.
    FTFY.

Otherwise, spot on.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBass View Post
    FTFY.

Otherwise, spot on.
    Thanks! Edited my post to fix that.

In addition, traiting Swift Recovery is also a major benefit. Cuts the cooldown from 3 minutes to 2, allowing you to have needful haste up more often.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aad21/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thanks! Edited my post to fix that.

In addition, traiting Swift Recovery is also a major benefit. Cuts the cooldown from 3 minutes to 2, allowing you to have needful haste up more often.

This is also why full watcher set is tremendously utilitarian - it further cuts the cooldown to 90 seconds. w/ full NH legacy, you're basically running around w/ NH bonus half the time.

[COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    This is also why full watcher set is tremendously utilitarian - it further cuts the cooldown to 90 seconds. w/ full NH legacy, you're basically running around w/ NH bonus half the time.

lol, we should suggest during the Hunter TttC thread that the watcher AND lady set bonuses be applied to our next armour set.

the cooldown reduction as the 4 set bonus, and the PS power cost reduction as the 5 piece bonus, and then something really cool as the 6 piece bonus, like maybe, a +2000 ranged offense rating

okay, maybe i'm bacon deficient right now, it *is* 6 in the A.M.
    Forgotten_Legend, The Baconnaire
    Malinon - 75 Champion | JAZRAIEL - 100 HUNTER | Taeran - 75 RuneKeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten_Legend View Post
    lol, we should suggest during the Hunter TttC thread that the watcher AND lady set bonuses be applied to our next armour set.

the cooldown reduction as the 4 set bonus, and the PS power cost reduction as the 5 piece bonus, and then something really cool as the 6 piece bonus, like maybe, a +2000 ranged offense rating

okay, maybe i'm bacon deficient right now, it *is* 6 in the A.M.
    I'll take that
    [b][color=green]Zekorr hnt-r9 (brandy)[/color] ~ [color=blue]Backstabzz burg-r8[/color] ~ [color=blue]Cashout grd-r7[/color]~ [color=blue]Arkorz warg-r7[/color] ~ [color=blue]Zekor ba-r6[/color] ~[color=blue]Bashr rvr-r7[/color]

-Gladden[/b]

Do you guys really find the Resolute Aim trait that useful? I've never seen the need to slot it, even in solo play.
    Narlinde ~ Minstrel, Singer of the Lament of Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by renius2009 View Post
    I know it has to be a great skill because everyone talks about it when it comes to Legendary weapons and such but I just do not understand it's duration and how to take advantage of it. Am I that stupid or is it quite obscure to understand from the description of the skill? How do you all use it when and how do you get the most out of it?
    needful haste normally speeds up your attacks for a short period of time which is good and dandy but when coupled with its sister class traits you lower its cooldown timer and as well you make it so your inductions are uniterruptable while needful haste is running.

you have to work on the deeds though to get the good stuff naturally. if i recall i would hit needful haste every opportunity i had even when in town just to keep the deed rolling. same with traps and tracking. dont recall all to much for tracking but meh. i have heightened senses so im happy.

the legacy on your weapons increases the timer your needful haste will run making them pretty important for some. not everyone wants it but alot do.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    Do you guys really find the Resolute Aim trait that useful? I've never seen the need to slot it, even in solo play.
    I use it anytime I get 3 or more mobs (especially if they're melee) on me. In the past I would have had to run away or DF from that, but now I can pop NH and pound them down.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

It's a solid trait, all around. It's great for PvMP, but PvE solo you can be smart about your pulls and get around not having it - vs melee. Ranged foes will still cause induction setupbacks though, so results will vary vs what you're fighting. If you're fighting a wad of orc skirmishers, having it up will help you kill faster.

In solo skirms, I tend to just be a lazy hobbit. I'm usually browsing CNN on my laptop, working on projects for my real job, doing laundry, eating, or something, so I'll just pull a wad of guys, RoA, LC, barbed a bunch of them w/ NH running. But that's w/ a herbalist or precision/HoT bannerguard. If you had a protector, you'd probably never need it in a skirm.

It's definitely part of my "I don't know what I'm going to do tonight" build, but like you said, for alot of group content you don't need it, and solo play is solo play - for the few times you run into ranged mobs, it helps, but it's not like hunters have a bad time dealing w/ ranged mobs.

(I'm personally of the opinion you could unslot EVERYTHING and still dominate solo play w/ half a brain and not pulling 4+ at once. LOTRO isn't exactly rocket science.)
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Yes, I use it quite a bit. If you get multiple mobs and you need to fire off induction shot(s) to get rid of them quickly, pop NH (with your RA trait slotted) and go to town. The Death From Below quest is a good example of when it can really shine. After your root breaks you get a pile of angry goblins running for you. Fear 1, use NH/RA to finish the rest off before the feared one comes back and it usually works like a charm.
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

Needful Haste increases my DPS pretty drastically. I out DPS everyone else at my level pretty regularly, but I guess that's not hard to do until I meet up with people at the CAP that have been spending months tweaking their character.

With Resolute Aim it makes Skirmishes a joke. It also has taken noob Sparring people by surprise that I'm burning them down so hard and fast.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000006461b/01000/signature.png]Annuilas[/charsig]

Tolmatt- Ministrel

It's also nice for tanking . You can go full dps even while being beat on.
    [CENTER][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=pink]S[SIZE=1]TROZZAPRETI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 10/X6|[COLOR=olive]R[SIZE=1]IGATONI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 8|[COLOR=red]G[SIZE=1]NOCCHI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 7|[COLOR=blue]M[SIZE=1]ACCHERONI[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] 7|[COLOR=yellow]R[SIZE=1]AVIOLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6|[COLOR=orange]F[SIZE=1]USILLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6
    A[SIZE=1]STERIX[/SIZE]|C[SIZE=1]HARAKHA[/SIZE]|K[SIZE=1]HAGATAI[/SIZE]|V[SIZE=1]ORO[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Playing on JQ in GW2
    [/CENTER]