We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: How much are captains wanted in groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Eudemon View Post
    OMG! You cannot main heal the first Rift bosses as a captain at level 50. You can main heal the tank while the minny heals everyone else. But when adds come, if you didn't have a minny back then, goodbye and goodnight.

Unbelievable.

Fornost is no surprise, big deal...
    Fornost was challenging but not impossible, though we are talking about pre-book 1.10, so i'm not even sure if the banner and the S-B existed at the time..

About the Rift. the whole damn game isn't that hard, even when the blue says it will be harder, some people shows that it isn't that hard. The rift is no exception even when the cap was 50.. Z did not talk about the group set up so it leave room to creativity. I bet they had a a few more burgles and LM for extra CC.. or what about 10 captain and 2 hunter (for drake boss)

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    obviously not one captain by himself.

dun dun dun..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by felfalas View Post
    Unless a group has only one spot left and specifically needs a healer or tank, I do not think I have ever been denied joining a group.
    I have... if a pug group already has a captain in it, a lot of people would rather not have two captains.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremus View Post
    I have... if a pug group already has a captain in it, a lot of people would rather not have two captains.

But 2 captains is like having awesome time 2..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

4. Re: How much are captains wanted in groups?

I get more unsolicited requests to join a group on my captain than on my other three 65's combined. When I offer a group leader their choice of my eligible characters, the most frequent response is "Oh a captain would be AWESOME!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eudemon View Post

Scottybene sees where the LtC captain performs. It is not something easily explained, but when a war captain steps in and knows how to orchestrate: a group run is like sliding your hot **** down a thick slab of butter. +15% battle Speed and +10% Dmg to the target is the point. The cpt can then swing his huge halberd, grab aggros, shoot off some heals. CPT is not meant to be a main healer.

Actually I trait HoH. I do stack more heavily to agility and along with pressing attack legacy and 8.3 sec RC cooldown it's pretty awesome. I have been main healing SG pugs like that for a while. It's also great in BG for the guantlet but after that I swap in all my will/fate jewellery.

All the things that I say buff a captains group dps can be done traited HoH.

Quote Originally Posted by scottybene View Post
    Actually I trait HoH. I do stack more heavily to agility and along with pressing attack legacy and 8.3 sec RC cooldown it's pretty awesome. I have been main healing SG pugs like that for a while. It's also great in BG for the guantlet but after that I swap in all my will/fate jewellery.

All the things that I say buff a captains group dps can be done traited HoH.

What i understand from that is if i'm HoH i can't dps and when i'm LtC i can't heal.. ay caramba, my head hurt..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    What i understand from that is if i'm HoH i can't dps and when i'm LtC i can't heal.. ay caramba, my head hurt..
    Not sure why you're head hurts...

My traits are HoH (with captain of war)
    My gear stacks agility for crit responses for normal play, and I stack will/fate for raids.

I am there to heal and provide an increase to the GROUP's dps, not mine. I believe this is the point that escaped the person that was referring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottybene View Post
    Not sure why you're head hurts...

My traits are HoH (with captain of war)
    My gear stacks agility for crit responses for normal play, and I stack will/fate for raids.

I am there to heal and provide an increase to the GROUP's dps, not mine. I believe this is the point that escaped the person that was referring to me.

Idk either, i think i got an headache since i've to wake up early this morning..

But to be fair, i missed a lot of action this weekend on these forum, so my sarcasm gauge is very high
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by orccrusher View Post
    I don't disagree that captains are awesomesauce, or that a cappy increases the overall dps of the group, but there can't possibly be parses to back up that range, can there?

IDOME-> +50 to your favorite damage-dealing stat (whole group)
    Telling Mark-> +(5 to 10)% incoming dmg (one target)
    To Arms-> +(I don't know the number)% outgoing dmg (shield-bro only)
    Oathbreaker's-> +35% incoming dmg (one target, 10 seconds)

Then there's Relentless Attack (+1215 max to crit ratings) which adds around 4% crit chance up to the cap. The math is a little fuzzy here because the dmg increase depends on your gear and settings if and when you crit, if you devastate, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if all that added up to an additional 10%, but 30? That seems unlikely.
    By your words alone, telling mark adds 10% more damage to the group, how could OB, to arms, relentless attack and idome possibly NOT shove it well over 20% if not 30 or more?

Captains are very much "reborn" at 65.....prior to max level, Captains are a bit less sought after, but at 65, you'll always have a place in a raid group. The thing to remember is, at 65, your perceived primary value will be healing/secondary healing and as the "surrogate" (the damage recipient utilizing In Harm's Way and Last Stand). Several BOSS fights have moments where it's necessary to absorb damage for the main tank...that's one of your critical functions (along with fear removal..and again: healing). The other important thing is to keep in mind what we aren't: DPS. In a raid (which you'll have no problem finding a spot in), if you find yourself smacking mobs and not managing the health of your shield brother (and fellowship), then you're not doing your full job. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkin View Post
    Captains are very much "reborn" at 65.....prior to max level, Captains are a bit less sought after, but at 65, you'll always have a place in a raid group. The thing to remember is, at 65, your perceived primary value will be healing/secondary healing and as the "surrogate" (the damage recipient utilizing In Harm's Way and Last Stand). Several BOSS fights have moments where it's necessary to absorb damage for the main tank...that's one of your critical functions (along with fear removal..and again: healing). The other important thing is to keep in mind what we aren't: DPS. In a raid (which you'll have no problem finding a spot in), if you find yourself smacking mobs and not managing the health of your shield brother (and fellowship), then you're not doing your full job. Best of luck!
    You leave out buffs and debuffs (telling mark, oathbreakers), which is also a good part of our added value in raids. Telling mark + oathies + to arms makes "our" contribution to the group's DPS significant. One captain can buff the entire raid (by group switching to give a motivating speech when necessary), and keep IDOME on at least half of it...

I also think a Captain should generally be up smacking mobs, btw. Not top job on our list, but ability to multitask helps our contribution to the group. Our DPS may be 3rd rate, but every little bit helps. Particularly when things aren't dying, it also helps us get crits on DB/PA whenever they are available to open the defeat responses. And might as well keep the bleed on, inspire and valiant strike pulsing, etc. None of which takes priority over watching everything, spot heals, off-tanking, fear removal, LS/IHW, buff maint, etc...

As stated above, most folks don't think to specifically ask for a Captain, but a well-played Captain can make a good group great, imo. Once someone runs a group with a cappy, they will want one all the time.

Capatin's are wanted but not necessary like say tank, or hunter for specific instances abilities, rarely does a 6-man have two, but they are never turned down. They are teh ones that if not in group already someone says anyone welcome, cpt is there. 3-mans are great, cpt/minny/anyone else will destroy any 3-man but there's no reason to have minny in warspech on final HoM boss. Senseless, don't use aoe and need triumphant and fellow's heart til the adds dwindle. Minny cpt bump aggro exchanging heals and staying alive til there too few to matter. But minny in WS in a none-aoe situation I do not think is better than captain hitting with minny healing, so ues, HoH is nice, but it is not always best or correct....

Just a heads up.

Good luck!
    -RT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2