We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much are captains wanted in groups?

I realize by now that guardians and minstrels seems to be the ones that are always underpopulated and needed by groups, while hunters and champs populate like rabbits

but what about captain? How much are they wanted in groups?

Re: How much are captains wanted in groups?

Asked for? Almost never.

Wanted? Always.

I.e. if you see "LFM for some instance" a Captain will always get in.

But you will rarely see "Need Captain for some instance" except for some specific situations and, even then, we are never required.

OTOH if you have a solid kinship-based group Captains are probably always included.
    [CENTER][COLOR="PaleGreen"]Explorer 100%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Achiever 67%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Yellow"]Socializer 33%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Red"]Killer 13%[/COLOR][/CENTER]

When I'm setting a raid, I always call 1-2 captains. For instances, they seem not to be much called, though. But surely they're always welcome. I love when I have cappies on my fellowship

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.WaffleMakerMan View Post
    I realize by now that guardians and minstrels seems to be the ones that are always underpopulated and needed by groups, while hunters and champs populate like rabbits

but what about captain? How much are they wanted in groups?
    Unless they need a specific other role, everyone always seems very happy to have me along. Captains don't make very good main tanks. We can be fine main healers for easy 3-6 main content (some say for any, I've only personally main healed SH, HOC, and GS), but people often want a Mini/Rk as a main healer. But other than that most groups are really pleased to have a Captain along as between our buffs, marks, and our panic skills and our backing everyone up we just make it all work better.

Raids often want a Captain per group, if not they usually will want at least one Captain. Telling mark/to arms/oathies alone can make the "Captain's" DPS impact huge. Last stand/IHW, strength of will, combat rez, etc can make a big difference in group success as well. Back up healing also is very important when things get ugly and the main healer can barely keep the tank up (or the main healer is getting smashed or is stunned etc).

Unless a group has only one spot left and specifically needs a healer or tank, I do not think I have ever been denied joining a group.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000020634/01003/signature.png]Tridan[/charsig]
    [SIZE="1"][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/tridan/"]Tridan (Man Captain)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/aerofas/"]Areofas (Elf Hunter)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/bergil/"]Bergil (Man Lore Master)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/trudan/"]Trudan (Elf Warden)
    [/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/trydun/"]Trydun (Dwarf Rune Keeper) [/URL] | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/kinship-brandywine-the_last_knights_of_gondolin/"]The Last Knights of Gondolin[/URL] | [COLOR="Red"]Brandywine[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by felfalas View Post
    Unless a group has only one spot left and specifically needs a healer or tank, I do not think I have ever been denied joining a group.
    For most content (not all, of course), a captain can join even if the group has only one spot left and specifically needs a healer or tank.

LF1M, need dps - captain can go
    LF1M, need tank - captain can go
    LF1M, need healer - captain can go

Even dps'ing being the role where we shine less (considering there is already another captain in the group, so there will be less group dps gain from us), I think it's the easier spot to fit in no matter what.

Healing could be the best spot for a captain to fill (except by raids) because we can heal and dps a little at the same time, so the group could do the run quicker, but most people won't believe a captain can do that.

Tanking is trickier imo, heavy dps'ers have to adjust themselves to a captain being the tank and holding multiple mobs seems like a no-go.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001307b6/01003/signature.png]Turimborn[/charsig]
    [i]If you found this post useful, please add rep to the poster by clicking on the star icon in the bottom left corner of this message (you have to be logged in to do so).[/i]

Sure, I was thinking for PUG type situations though, don't often find PUGs going for more unconventional group set ups.

I have done main healing and main tanking with kin groups though.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000020634/01003/signature.png]Tridan[/charsig]
    [SIZE="1"][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/tridan/"]Tridan (Man Captain)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/aerofas/"]Areofas (Elf Hunter)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/bergil/"]Bergil (Man Lore Master)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/trudan/"]Trudan (Elf Warden)
    [/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/trydun/"]Trydun (Dwarf Rune Keeper) [/URL] | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/kinship-brandywine-the_last_knights_of_gondolin/"]The Last Knights of Gondolin[/URL] | [COLOR="Red"]Brandywine[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Unless there's a specific spot in a non-raid instance that calls for a captain's skill set, you won't see "LF cappy for...". Usually it's one of:

LF for tank
    LF for dps
    LF for heals

That being said, having a cappy in the group makes everything go smoother, and experienced group leaders know it and generally don't pass up the chance to grab one. That is, unless the group is LF1M dps. Then you ain't gettin a spot. ;-)
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=yellow]Celedorn [/COLOR][/B]Champion [B]~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Severrond [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Lore-Master ~ [B][COLOR=yellow]Edenvail [/COLOR][/B]Captain[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Vexer [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Burglar[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Halorandir [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Hunter[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Braeburn [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Guardian[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][I][COLOR=#ffa500]Proud member of Weapon of Choice [/COLOR][/I][SIZE=2]~ Elendilmir[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=white]"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me."[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

I see LF Capt quite a bit when it comes to the 3 and 6 mans. Id get mine past 50 if I could take the soloing in Moria pill.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000020799/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Captains are always wanted. Especially healing captains, with the SoM changes to the class. For 3 mans captains are the ideal healers, providing increased DPS compared to other healers. In terms of raiding captains are generally wanted as 1 per group of 6.

Basically the buffs, our on defeat heals and mob debuffs (though telling mark) make a large difference to a number of fights. So we are pretty much always wanted.
    Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights

Wanted? Oh yeah. In fact, in my kin, we don't call them Captains... we call them Awesomes...
    Narlinde ~ Minstrel, Singer of the Lament of Windfola

Captains are

A W E S O M E

What kind of inbred moron doesn't want two scoops of

A W E S O M E in their group?

Any group that does not have a Captain in it is is NOT awesome. If the group is fantastic, adding a captain to that group would make it

FANTASTICALLY AWESOME.

Yeah, we're wanted.
    What I type here, is only so I don't get banned. What I really think goes here.

I would even venture to say captains are the ideal partner in a 3 man instance. Rarely if ever is some other class more useful. Captain + something + it really doesn't matter (just put that minstrel in Warspeech).

The perfect 6 man group to join (that doesn't already have a cappy);

LF1M dps. You will add more dps to the group than any other class in the game hands down. Not only are you adding your own dps (which is admittedly mediocre) but you are increasing everyone else's dps by 25-30%. Even if you added NO personal dps to this group, they are still better off adding you rather than a hunter, RK, or champ.

I have a hunter and cappy at 65, if the group doesn't have a capt, that's the class I bring regardless of what the group composition is (unless there is already one cappy).
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by scottybene View Post
    Not only are you adding your own dps (which is admittedly mediocre) but you are increasing everyone else's dps by 25-30%.
    I don't disagree that captains are awesomesauce, or that a cappy increases the overall dps of the group, but there can't possibly be parses to back up that range, can there?

IDOME-> +50 to your favorite damage-dealing stat (whole group)
    Telling Mark-> +(5 to 10)% incoming dmg (one target)
    To Arms-> +(I don't know the number)% outgoing dmg (shield-bro only)
    Oathbreaker's-> +35% incoming dmg (one target, 10 seconds)

Then there's Relentless Attack (+1215 max to crit ratings) which adds around 4% crit chance up to the cap. The math is a little fuzzy here because the dmg increase depends on your gear and settings if and when you crit, if you devastate, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if all that added up to an additional 10%, but 30? That seems unlikely.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=yellow]Celedorn [/COLOR][/B]Champion [B]~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Severrond [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Lore-Master ~ [B][COLOR=yellow]Edenvail [/COLOR][/B]Captain[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Vexer [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Burglar[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Halorandir [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Hunter[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Braeburn [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Guardian[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][I][COLOR=#ffa500]Proud member of Weapon of Choice [/COLOR][/I][SIZE=2]~ Elendilmir[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=white]"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me."[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

10% telling mark
    15% war cry
    1% IDOME
    1% crit buffs
    1% oathbreakers

add in to arms for your SB.

You don't need parses to figure it out. If you're a captain and in a group, there is no excuse not to have 10% telling mark and the 15% traited war cry going after you defeat the first mob (and/or song of aid from the mini/time of need on bosses) - it should easily be going 90% of the time. The other's are just round figures, but as you can see it should easily exceed 25% per person on average and over 35% for your SB (to arms legacy you should be able to keep it up almost 50% of the time)

Traited war cry + telling mark is the biggest dps boost in the game - why do you think they removed war cry duration as a legacy? It was too OP. If your captain doesn't have these two skills going during your fights - time to find one that does!
    Last edited by scottybene; Jun 03 2010 at 12:05 AM.
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

add in the fact that a captain can main heal all the current instances, and you have even more by substituting a DPS class for a RK/minstrel.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

I don't think I've ever raided without 2 captains (one for each group). Many people, myself included, rolled Captain alts just to make sure we always have 2 for a raid.

So yeah, they are very wanted/needed in raids. In smaller groups they are not quite as highly sought after but still always welcome. Very good ones can main heal pretty much anything, SG included.
    Going on Hiatus until this statement becomes true:
    [b]"The LOTRO Store will offer convenience, not advantage."[/b] -[URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=4698465&postcount=5]Patience[/URL]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000003fd15/01007/signature.png]Shadrak[/charsig]

Wha.... now y'all call captain awesome ? .......

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    add in the fact that a captain can main heal all the current instances, and you have even more by substituting a DPS class for a RK/minstrel.

I was able to main heal even in 2007, people had to play smarter since captain did not have that much tools.. though it was possible..
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Jun 03 2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

I have tanked and main healed at the same time lol. Grand Stair and Forges. On my server people are always in need of captains to fill out groups.

Vertigo - 65 Captain - Pariah
    Escyndir - 65 Champion - Pariah
    Dartsk - Murder Herd

I am going to post a thread to explain in depth what some cpt players here understand about LtC and cpt ability. Once Cpt is decked out, especially in Moria (even Angmar) some instances can be cpt healed because they get all the good gear.

But, you cannot main heal and be a war cpt, sry whoever posted that recently. One or the other. Toons were overpowered in Moria, even after being toned down. This fatal mistake is still being fixed but might have broke the game, in my opinion.

Scottybene sees where the LtC captain performs. It is not something easily explained, but when a war captain steps in and knows how to orchestrate: a group run is like sliding your hot **** down a thick slab of butter. +15% battle Speed and +10% Dmg to the target is the point. The cpt can then swing his huge halberd, grab aggros, shoot off some heals. CPT is not meant to be a main healer. Those who think it is heal lopsided don't stack might/agility/vitality, run LtC, and know how to manipulate a battle scene. The Minstrel is the healer, and the cpt looks out for the minny a lot but looks out for all group members. But sacrificing all that group damage and flexibility to throw off a couple of heals that aren't truly needed is preposterous imo.

Rather, HoH people say trait HoH and sit around and buff and heal. Yay, so fun, and so wrong if you think healing is that much better than War for a cpt. It is a preference or situation specific, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Wha.... now y'all call captain awesome ? .......

I was able to main heal even in 2007, people had to play smarter since captain did not have that much tools.. though it was possible..
    Yeah true. I remember when I was a noob there was a captain main healing the first bosses of the Rift, I thought it was impossible then lol. But the captain's arm and stuff like that helped a lot
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    Yeah true. I remember when I was a noob there was a captain main healing the first bosses of the Rift, I thought it was impossible then lol. But the captain's arm and stuff like that helped a lot

I did a fornost run where i was the only healer-type... and all my gear was broken and i was 41.. i might still have some screenshot from that run.. darn.. and i still remember these things..
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Jun 11 2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv115, Winds of Manwee - Gladden

OMG! You cannot main heal the first Rift bosses as a captain at level 50. You can main heal the tank while the minny heals everyone else. But when adds come, if you didn't have a minny back then, goodbye and goodnight.

Unbelievable.

Fornost is no surprise, big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Eudemon View Post
    OMG! You cannot main heal the first Rift bosses as a captain at level 50. You can main heal the tank while the minny heals everyone else. But when adds come, if you didn't have a minny back then, goodbye and goodnight.

Unbelievable.

Fornost is no surprise, big deal...
    obviously not one captain by himself.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast