We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

At what point do you give up?

I know I will get more constructive responses if I post here vs. the legendary forum.

Today I deconned my 200th lvl 65 legendary weapon. I have yet to find any bow better than what i have no (and I realize what i have now isnt' all that great). I have a ton of scrolls of empowerment that I could upgrade both my weapons with but I kept holding out thinking I would eventually find a better one. At this point I am ready to give up and just make the most of what I have.

Thoughts?

Re: At what point do you give up?

I gave up at Mirkwood launch. I just look for a couple of key legacies and call it a day... there is no way I am going to invest months of playtime into such a horrifically broken system.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Ideally: You, having ingested way too much spice, give up when you get your starter LI to 10 or whatever you need to get into Moria. Being prescient has its advantages.

Realistically: You give up when the enjoyment of getting that LI will no longer make up for the hell you go through to get it. The second that balance tips, you should stop.

===

Personally, I gave up on the LI system pretty much as soon as I started actually working with it. The amount of bull**** needed to do anything in that system is both mind-boggling and asinine. I have a pretty small tolerance for ****ty systems (see also: D20, both WoDs, whatever the hell MechWarrior used) and there's never been a ****tier system than the LI system here.

OK, so maybe GURPS was worse. Maybe.

I just used the first level 65 that landed in my lap. It turned out pretty good. Quit setting your standards so high for such a paltry return.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    I just used the first level 65 that landed in my lap. It turned out pretty good. Quit setting your standards so high for such a paltry return.
    This is the mentality I took when leveling up my Burg recently. I took two Khadzul Tablets and turned them in for a L59 weapon and class item to replace my starter items and that was it. When he reaches 65, I plan on simply using the first L65 LIs I come across. I quit farming LIs ages ago.
    [LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][SIZE=1]Ardent Defender against the Order of Fanatical [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Anti-N[/SIZE][SIZE=1]eophyte [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Braggadocios [/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ordaining Illogicality[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT]

Quit setting your standards so high for such a paltry return.
    Bingo. If you have 2 or 3 legacies you're looking for, it doesn't take long to find what you want and then level it up. If you're looking for something with a list of 6 exact legacies, then you're just setting yourself up to be constantly disappointed.

I invested a lot of time into my melee weapons. Being third age doesn't matter, so the right legacies are key and I ended up with 2 near perfect melee weapons.

As for a bow, you just need to be realistic and remember that the DPS number is infiintely more important than any legacy you can get. I got my first 2nd age 65 and called it a day. The only good legacies I have on mine are -Power Costs and -Merc Shot CD, otherwise it's ****.

Am I pumping out as much damage as I could? No; but I'm still doing more than a good 3rd age and I'm not bashing my head against the wall that is the 20% symbol drop rate to find something only marginally better than what I've got. In the grand scheme of things, we're really lucky when it comes to bows, because DPS is so much more important than anything else. Go ask a minstrel or a burg how long they spent and maybe you'll feel a bit better.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20200000006847f/01008/signature.png]Balthinor[/charsig][/center]
    [center][size=3][color=#FFCC33]Lorimur 65 Champion, Rank 5[/color][/size][/center]
    [center] [size=4][color=#CC0000] Successor of [url=http://l33tvengeance.com/]Vengeance[/url] [/color][/size][/center]

i agree with what others have said, try not to focus so much on your LIs. oF course, everyone wants that perfect LI, but in reality, just get something that works for you, with acceptable legacies and go with it. Doing this will avoid a mountain of frustration, because in reality, by the time you actually got that 'perfect' LI, it would be made obsolete by the next expansion/upgrade.

On a side note, of course always keep an eye out, you never know what might happen, but you will be alot happier focusing on playing and having fun rather than hunting the elusive perfect LI

i did this on my hunter and RK, got lucky on a few items, and refuse to grind mindlessly for that perfect weapon, only to have to do it all over again in the coming months, so just find something that works, and go with it
    [CENTER][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/Eriendel/"][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000001b57/01007/signature.png]Eriendel[/charsig][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=5]
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=5][COLOR=#3d991a]T[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#4ba02a]h[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#58a83a]e[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5] [/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#73b65a]L[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#81bd6a]a[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#8ec57a]s[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#9ccc8b]t[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5] [/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#b7dbab]K[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#c4e2bb]n[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#d2e9cb]i[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#dff0db]g[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#edf8eb]h[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#fafffb]t[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#edf8eb]s[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5] [/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#d2e9cb]o[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#c4e2bb]f[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5] [/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a9d39b]G[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#9ccc8b]o[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#8ec57a]n[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#81bd6a]d[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#73b65a]o[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#66af4a]l[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#58a83a]i[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=5][COLOR=#4ba02a]n[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=Yellow][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/Eriendel"]Eriendel ~ 75 Hunter Brandywine[/URL][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=White][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/shimblie/"]Shimblie ~ 65 Runekeeper Brandywine[/URL][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Cyan][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/lariele/"]Lariele ~ 75 Captain Brandywine[/URL][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Cyan][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/Dolu/"]Dolu ~ 75 Warden Brandywine[/URL][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

58 3A 65 melee weapons before I hit one that's 'enough' (but not perfect); never bothered w/ counting 3A bows b/c I knew I'd work until I got a symbol and then stop. Probably about 100+ at this point, those are the only ones I bother leveling to 30 to see if I get something worth keeping; everything else is relic churn.

I do continue to play around w/ other 65 3As for swapsies, but until Turbine publishes an announcement to the DIRECTION of the system (details would be nice, but direction is vastly needed at this stage.), I can only assume whatever I have is as transitory as a SoA bow/xbow, and should be treated as such.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Gotta call BS on levelling 100 level 65s to 30.

31st level; technically.

some combo of 5x mirrors, loth dailies, 2-4 dolven views, mirkwood dailies, 2-6 skirms, farming sword halls, farming SGs, crafting dailies - all dumped into 1 weapon at a time? (I have 1 PvMP dagger since Moria, 1 65 2A, and 1 65 melee, capped, 1 slot for high level decons, 1 slot for 2nd level decons (any) and 1 slot for 60+ to dump all my runes from turtles, watchers, DN, and MoM content.) That's all my iXP going into one weapon at a time.

To be fair, you're probably right, it might only be 89 65s taken to 31. :P

forgive the rounding. :P

EDIT: I forgot all the dailies for MoM/SoM content, too. I just turned in 2 for 12,000 ixp and 1250 destiny.
    Last edited by kerryak; May 31 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    [/color]

i gave up on tryin to find the perfect LI when i realizsed two things: A] no amount of grind will guarantee that i'll EVER find *my* perfect LI. B] grinding out bacon is much more rewarding, because at least i'm GUARANTEED bacon when i grind for it.

EDIT] i almost forgot the third thing... when watching chick flix by myself became more fun than grinding the lottory known as Legendary Items. [and yes, its *does* take a *real* man to admit that ;-)]
    Last edited by Forgotten_Legend; Jun 01 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Forgotten_Legend, The Baconnaire
    Malinon - 75 Champion | JAZRAIEL - 100 HUNTER | Taeran - 75 RuneKeeper

I gave up in SoM beta as soon as I saw them change the ixp runes. I crafted a lvl 65 3rd age and that's what I've been using for a bow ever since. Granted I was lucky and it turned out pretty decent. I believe my melee weapon took me 3 tries.

Set your sites low because you know whatever you have now is going to need to be deconned with the next expansion and most/all of your effort will be wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaunoss View Post
    I crafted a lvl 65 3rd age and that's what I've been using for a bow ever since. Granted I was lucky and it turned out pretty decent.
    I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I have had more luck when I crafted my LI's over found ones. Like all of us, I've identified and deconed a hell of a lot of weapons, but I've only crafted a handful, and my crafted ones for the most part have been better.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't have the patience to ID/decon 200+ bows to find my perfect weapon. I ended up with an ok crafted bow on the first try and I don't intend to replace it unless I get a really stellar 2A. Symbol dropped in my very first SG run last night, but I lost the roll.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by pipeweed420 View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I have had more luck when I crafted my LI's over found ones. Like all of us, I've identified and deconed a hell of a lot of weapons, but I've only crafted a handful, and my crafted ones for the most part have been better.

Same here; although none of *my* crafted ones seem to be as good as the ones I'd horked off the AH, hehe
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
    I know I will get more constructive responses if I post here vs. the legendary forum.

Today I deconned my 200th lvl 65 legendary weapon. I have yet to find any bow better than what i have no (and I realize what i have now isnt' all that great). I have a ton of scrolls of empowerment that I could upgrade both my weapons with but I kept holding out thinking I would eventually find a better one. At this point I am ready to give up and just make the most of what I have.

Thoughts?
    Apply the absolute bare minimum of scrolls (stats, empowerment) to your current LIs and bank everything else. As long as you have Barbed Arrow on your bow and Needful Haste on your melee weapon you can call it quits and simply wait for a change to the system. Eventually they will make 2nd Ages more readily available and add 1st Age items. You can start looking again then when it's going to provide a more significant improvement.

Honestly, I'd sell every scroll you don't need now while the prices are high and bank as many Skirmish Marks as you can. Turbine likes to make things easier to obtain as time goes by....I wouldn't be surprised if they became cheaper to buy and started dropping in chest bosses. Sell for lots now, get them back cheaper later when you have something that needs the scrolls. Of course that's just a guess, which is why I said bank your resources, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case you're a betting man too.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by NameAlreadyTaken View Post
    Apply the absolute bare minimum of scrolls (stats, empowerment) to your current LIs and bank everything else. As long as you have Barbed Arrow on your bow and Needful Haste on your melee weapon you can call it quits and simply wait for a change to the system. Eventually they will make 2nd Ages more readily available and add 1st Age items. You can start looking again then when it's going to provide a more significant improvement.

Honestly, I'd sell every scroll you don't need now while the prices are high and bank as many Skirmish Marks as you can. Turbine likes to make things easier to obtain as time goes by....I wouldn't be surprised if they became cheaper to buy and started dropping in chest bosses. Sell for lots now, get them back cheaper later when you have something that needs the scrolls. Of course that's just a guess, which is why I said bank your resources, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case you're a betting man too.
    Eh, I go the other way - rather than buying things you can sell, just spend all your marks, tokens, barters, hootnannies, etc on *relics*.

I agree if you're looking for gold, nows a good time to make it. But relics (not LIs themselves) are really the only thing of permanance you'll equip, and while the LI system is a topic of discussion by the devs leads to the assumption some changes may be incoming, very little seems to be discussing relics. I'd assume they're going to be around for quite some time.
    [/color]

I agree in principle regarding relics, but I don't think it's worth spending the marks unless necessary. Unless you're in a hurry to get high tier relics there's not much point in blowing SMs on settings. After 200 broken LIs, plus who knows how many pre-existing relics and settings from instances, I expect he's doing OK for relics.

I'm not advocating he farm skirmishes to sell scrolls, just that I think it's prudent long term not to sit on scrolls in your vault.

PS: I've tried to complain about relics. It's my least favorite part of the system. There's others that have voices similar complaints, but it's been drowned out by the larger outcry over LIs. I'm pretty sure it will never change though as it's an even deeper grind than the actual LIs.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

I have plenty of gold. The only reason I would sell all my empowerment scrolls if it would make me enough gold to buy a 2A bow. Saw another one on the AH last night for 150g. I don't have *that* much gold

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like a lot of people have given up already. Like many of you, I found the bow I am using today in the first week or so. Not sure why I need to replace it - seems to suit my needs just fine. Now I just need to decide if I should dump all my scrolls into it or just leave it as is.

I knew I would get great responses if I posted on this forum. Hunters rock!

PS: I've tried to complain about relics. It's my least favorite part of the system. There's others that have voices similar complaints, but it's been drowned out by the larger outcry over LIs. I'm pretty sure it will never change though as it's an even deeper grind than the actual LIs.

Oh I agree. And I've seen them, and I think it'll be next up on the cheese n' whine list, TBH - assuming LI 3.0 is better than LI 2.0. But it's yet to be talked about by community managers or ttc threads, so I'm under the assumption it's going to remain unaltered.
    The whole system is based on criting, and my method (blow SMs on lowest buyable fused) is the best way to introduce relics to the toon via maximizing crit chances. That's why I recommend it, although I don't blow all my SMs that way either.

I can't even imagine what my relic count would be if we weren't able to crit combines. It'd be horrible.

Even if they do change the mechanics, though, I think they'll remain something of permanence - and we don't know that for LIs. :/
    [/color]

I don't think relics would be near as bad if there was a way to work backwards as well as forwards. Combine 2 L7 relics, get 3 L6 ones back. Something like that. As it stands, though, they're the least-worst of the LI system.

**** like this is why I never log in. I'm having much more fun playing Red Dead Redemption at the moment.

I too prefer to bank SMs while I have nothing in particular to spend them on. Better to leave them in liquid form while uncertain.

Of course the consipracy theorist in me envisions a wholly new tier of SMs coming along, or increased importance of unique campaign marks as new skirmishes are added, that will decrease the value of banked SMs in the same way that the broken Bounty rewards "necessitated" the demarcation between Moria and Mirkwood IXP. After all, we will have had 6-12 months of stocking up on ludicrous amounts of marks; can't reward the Ants for saving at the risk of upsetting the Grasshoppers.
    Nemesis - Brandywine
    Jenith 100 Hunter || Gavigan 78 Guardian || Kazamir 76 Captain
    Gjorn 65 Champion || Anavel 65 Burglar || Thissis 100 Warden || Mezimus 70 Loremaster

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBass View Post
    I gave up at Mirkwood launch. I just look for a couple of key legacies and call it a day... there is no way I am going to invest months of playtime into such a horrifically broken system.
    Ditto for me. One of the first lvl 65 bows I found had 3 legacies I wanted and I leveled that puppy up and called it a day. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten_Legend View Post

EDIT] i almost forgot the third thing... when watching chick flix by myself became for fun than grinding the lottory known as Legendary Items. [and yes, its *does* take a *real* man to admit that ;-)]
    LOL
    [LEFT][I]O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!
    [/I][IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2v8mqur.jpg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast