We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I am a Spider...

I am still new to the game. I've been lvling a Mini up to 29 and I thought I would give Monster Play a try last night.

I made a Spider (Weaver?).

Ok... I don't know what my Spider excels at yet. Being Rank 0, anything and everything kills me. My damage is laughable. I don't know how many times I died to a Burg in literally 10s or less. There is nothing I can do. My root is useless when I am in trouble and I took Attack Duration 30% debuff which doesn't seem to do anything when it matters.

People in the game told me Spider gets a lot better later but man, how do you level a Spider to high lvl without screaming at your screen? My damage is just so low. I am not all about damage but at rank 0, there's really nothing else I can contribute to the team.

People told me to invest Destiny Points in passives which is what I've been doing.

I like Spider's model. It looks so freaky cool!

Re: I am a Spider...

Just PvE at first, do quests for DP and get all of your passives and skills. What would really, really help is to group with other creeps, especially when you actually want to try to rank... as a greeny/bluey, you won't be able to kill any freeps above level 60 unless they're absolutely terrible skill wise. Also while you're doing DP quests, always make sure you do Take and Outpost and An when they are up, because they are 2k DP, and then try to do quests at each of the keeps that creepside owns, so that way you can get travel maps.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d010000277914/signature.png]Toiletwater[/charsig]
    [COLOR=GREEN]Spacemanbobr, Sithmanbobr[/COLOR], [COLOR=RED]Toiletwater, Spacemandef[/COLOR]

Its not easy ranking up a creep now adays if your new and dont know anyone and have no idea what your doing.

I suggest Getting your maps PvE as much as you have to to get all possible active and passive skills and then start joining groups to gain infamy and rank up - You arnt going to solo to many freeps (at least ones with half a brain) untill your rank 4-5 ... maybe rank 3 (i doubt it tho)

Just wait until rank 7 you will be more then able to take on any freep and at rank 9 you will be god that should only take 2-3 years
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b01000006e8f3/signature.png]Kerishnak[/charsig]
    ~Kerishnak Rank 9 Reaver!~~ ~~Vajyno Rank 5 Defiler~~ ~~Namrod Rank 8 Loremaster of Eru~~ ~~Feynor Rank 6 warden oh and a rank 4 ezmode warg

Take a day and get a bunch of DP from quests to get blue status not green. Then take the 2nd day and get r3 (very easy to do on a spider). Throw some dots out there, root some people, DONT TRY TO 1V1!!! You cant do that til at least r4. Spiders are the squishiest creep class, but they are so much fun r5+. web the earth, slow, is an awesome skill, and makes 1v1s very easy. My spider is r6 already, been playing him for a month or so, and I am in love with it. Just stick it through the first couple ranks, thats for EVERY creep class. It is very slow, and expect to die. There is nothing wrong with dying fyi, everyone dies. People see a freep with low morale, low rank, or under level he is 95% of the time going to be the first target. People see green and blue creeps, low ranked ones, they are going to be first targets alot of the time, its just the passage of coming into the moors (call it hazing if you will :P).

When you buy your passives, buy the armour/morale ones first to become less squishy. For class traits you could grab Health for power on your spider. When you rank up be sure to get the important skills and class traits. Once I have all them then I will finish the damage passives and then at the very end do the power passives. Basically, spend your DP what you would consider most important first to least important last. If you want to save your DP for when you rank up for other things you can avoid buying your power passives until R4-5 really. A lot of people say "buy all your passives and hit sig asap"...I don't generally agree with that because i'd rather have certain skills/class traits/corruptions before hitting sig.

as a greendot spider(at least a true greendot spider) your gonna die repeatedly over and over again without really any thing u can do about it.your best bet is to try to get in raid.(may be hard for low ranks if u don't know the right people though) If u can't get in a raid your best option would be to actually follow the raid around and gold tag from BEHIND them. (though that makes some leaders mad)if your lucky your server will have a older vet who would take u under there wing and teach u the ways of the spider silkdawn on brandywine specializes in helping the "younglings" learn the ropes and has been helping out all the low ranked spiders rank up to the point where they can fend for themselves for a few years(though the infamy isn't always that good its a good learning experiance especially if he happens to have another higher ranked or 2 with him.

I'm glad you like your spider! I am also a newbie spider. I started May 15th and I'm rank 4. I agree with you that spiders are squishy at low ranks and it is very frustrating. Depending on how much time you devote to the game, ranking up isn't a fast process. I just recently turned rank 4. Once you rank to 3, you'll like your character a lot more. I'll share with you my experiences of being a low rank, some good and some bad:

Grouping
    ---
    The way pvp is setup in LOTRO discourages people on creepside from grouping, especially with someone low ranked (under rank 6 is considered low rank). Hopefully on your server there are some nice higher ranked people who like to group with you. I joined a kinship on creepside and people in my kin don't even like to group. The thing people don't like about grouping is that when you are away from the group, the infamy is still divided among all group members but if you're not there with them you don't get your share and they still lose infamy even though you didn't get it. Most pvp-based MMOs I play, everyone is always in groups.

Ranking Outside of a Group
    ---
    The way I found to rank up is just follow around other spiders and kill what they are killing (open your options menu, go to combat options and check skill target forwarding and there's another one to check - something about seeing the vitals of your target's target). After you set those two checkboxes follow around other spiders and click on them and start using your skills -- its cool because the skills just direct themselves at that spider's target.

Most Useful Spidey Skill
    ---
    The best skill you have to start with is the default #1 button. If you are with (meaning following around) a big group of creeps, just target your damage over time spell to every freep in range then when they die you get some infamy to rank up.

Find A Friendly High Ranked Spider
    ---
    There's a spider on Meneldor server named Websturz and he's rank 10 and really nice to new spiders, I bet every server has one player of each class like him. He was very helpful with telling me which skills and traits to get.

Downside to Being Spider
    ---
    The bad part about being a Spider or Warg is that everyone makes fun of you for being "easy mode." Supposedly, spiders are strong at really high ranks so people will put you down and tell you to "roll a real class." I find it disturbing to be heckled in chat just because of my class, especially in a pay-to-play game where the community is supposed to be more mature than free-to-play games. Anyways don't let others get you down. It took me awhile not to take it personally and figure out who to ignore.

Upside to Being Spider
    ---
    The great part about being a spider is being able to use ranged damage without having to get too close and also being able to have poisons. Since spider skills are mostly damage over time, you don't need to spam them so you'll be extremely efficient as far as power is concerned. Another reason spider is awesome is the instant burrow skill. The instant burrow skill can reset agro if you get tons of NPCs on you and if you get suprised by a burglar you can burrow and say your location in OOC so people will come there and kill the enemy.

I hope something I've said will help you. The more you rank up, the better you'll like it. Being creep is tough at low ranks since all freep classes will overpower you 1vs1 until rank 5 or 6, at least that's what I hear lol I still get my butt kicked 1vs1 at rank 4 that's for sure.

Thanks for all the tips. I think it will take too long for me to level up a Creep. I only went in to check out what Monster Play is all about. My highest lvl toon is still a lvl 30 Mini and none of my friends like pvp, which means I probably don't have time to focus on leveling a spider. Too bad. I really like the Spider look!

I'll try monster play every once a while but it looks like a serious game in itself unless I use my lvl 65 Free people.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrunty View Post

Downside to Being Spider
    ---
    The bad part about being a Spider or Warg is that everyone makes fun of you for being "easy mode." Supposedly, spiders are strong at really high ranks so people will put you down and tell you to "roll a real class." I find it disturbing to be heckled in chat just because of my class, especially in a pay-to-play game where the community is supposed to be more mature than free-to-play games. Anyways don't let others get you down. It took me awhile not to take it personally and figure out who to ignore.
    These people are just mad they picked the wrong class
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042070100000b2053/signature.png]Avaricious[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Fladrif View Post
    Its not easy ranking up a creep now adays if your new and dont know anyone and have no idea what your doing.

I suggest Getting your maps PvE as much as you have to to get all possible active and passive skills and then start joining groups to gain infamy and rank up - You arnt going to solo to many freeps (at least ones with half a brain) untill your rank 4-5 ... maybe rank 3 (i doubt it tho)

Just wait until rank 7 you will be more then able to take on any freep and at rank 9 you will be god that should only take 2-3 years
    you mean take 3 weeks for r9 lolz
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000005ce4/signature.png]Gloinfastisback[/charsig]
    Gloinfast - rank 11 dwarf Paladin - Brandywine
    Gloinfastisback - rank 4 Ranger - Riddermark
    Cudspitter - Rank 5 Warlock
    Bowdowntogloinfast - Rank 4 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by gloinfast View Post
    you mean take 3 weeks for r9 lolz
    That's probably the case on our server which is the most populated atm. Can't wait for the Creep nerf so my tribe will be alive again and all the flippers will go back.

Hey little spider,

Work on your passives first, and dont give up, spider are good after rank 6.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0100000d8748/signature.png]Carcamana[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by vercoza13 View Post
    Hey little spider,

Work on your passives first, and dont give up, spider are good after rank 6.
    r12 spider is hawtttttttt
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000005ce4/signature.png]Gloinfastisback[/charsig]
    Gloinfast - rank 11 dwarf Paladin - Brandywine
    Gloinfastisback - rank 4 Ranger - Riddermark
    Cudspitter - Rank 5 Warlock
    Bowdowntogloinfast - Rank 4 Rogue

Spider skins look awesome, all the other skins (excluding some of the warg) look like a guy slammed his head on the keyboard a couple times than tossed in some colors.
    [LEFT][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000081e5a/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/LEFT]
    [COLOR=silver]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSquirrel View Post
    Can't wait for the Creep nerf...
    Oh don't you worry. the creep nerf wil be F2P when they creep population dies.

Hang in there buddy, and accept that fact that spiders are pretty squishy.

Most freeps know that spiders have the worse armor/morale rating as compared to other creeps and will often try and burn you down fast for easy points.

I won't lie, its frustrating. But if you can tough it out, make some friends, and practice your skills I think you may come to enjoy the challenge.

To me, spiders are the truely monsterous class in the creep warchest. Some of the skins you can earn are seriously creepy and spiders have some of the best movement animations as well as emotes.

Ignore the trashtalk. Freeps will have you believing that you are a OP God while at the same time killing you in 5.6 secs. Ignore em. Play to have fun.

Ryzom, Captain 46! (Fear Me!)
    Shiven, Warleader R5