We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Defiler advice

Defiler advice

Hi, I recently started a defiler, just got him to rank 1, I'm not bad, but at the same time, I'm limited with skills etc.
    Any good defilers out there than can give me some advice ?
    Also, I'm having trouble killing burgs, advice on that would be great.

Thanks.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][color=#3333FF][b][size=3][center] -| Commander Borfinn - R11 Guardian |-[/size] [/b][color=#B22222][size=3]| Harvester Of Hatred |[/size][/color]
    | Disciples Of The Watch |[/center][/color][/font]

Re: Defiler advice

At R1, your not gonna be able to kill much except complete noobs... or someone standing still to give you a simpathy kill.

defilers dont reach a good group power level till r4-5 and become good solo at r6-7. (not saying you cant accomplish anything sooner just IMO these are when they get good)

in solo situations, defilers are NOT dpsers, they rely on out lasting thier opponent.

apply your HoTs and trust in them (dont reaply till they are about to expire or you need a pick-me-up), manage your power, once you get it Fear is your friend and practice practice practice

against a burg solo... dont expect to win. against any decent burg it would end in a loss or a HiPS.

cant think of to much advice right now...need coffee... best advice i can give ya, dont get upset or afraid of dying, you win some you lose some, try to have fun doing it it's just a game

best thing i can think of for dealing with a burg is try to start having all the hots u can on u to start since once combat starts its gonna be tough to heal yourself vs any decent burg.knowledge of the individual burg will make a huge difference. if they are traited to be able to chain mez and they mez u wait 5 secs before using a vendor ROOT pot to break the mez(vendor pots will damage u breaking the mez but only after the 5 sec grace period if they have traited riddle).against any decent burg they will probably be able to addle any heal attempts so you will probably need use your fear to get off a heal. if possible dot the burg up and use sticky feet to attempt to kite the burg around. (make sure not to turn your back on them)make sure to use a power pot every time u can(when you are down enough that its use will fill you up). the basic idea is your gonna have to try to force the burg to blow all his cd's and power and hopefully survive long enough for him to run out of power and cj's.once the burg is pretty much out of power and if they don't seem to have a chance to kill you they will probably just hips and forget u.MOST burgs won't stay and fight to the death when they know they can't win they will leave and thats really the best u can hope for. defillers lack the dps (or cj's) needed to burn down a burg before they try to escape. and if u actually get the burg down below about 1k u might wanna be carefull with your staff attack that can stun if the stun procs u could give that burg a big heal+ 50% evade from your non tact skills(and getting a gourd attack off vs a burg espicially if the have the addle legacys is not gonna be ez

I second everything the two posters before me stated. In addition a couple of other things that I have found useful with my defiler.

1)Apply your HoT early. Defiler healing is closer to a Rune Keeper than a Minstrel. The HoTs can be a powerful things, but to be effective you need to recognize where it will be needed before big trouble happens. While this is a good lesson to learn day one, expect to wait until rank 5 to be truly effective with this.

2)When fighting burgs your two DoTs are your friend. This gives you a chance you to pop them out of stealth if they HIPS. (Albeit a very small chance due to the relatively short duraction compared to HIPS length.) Two other common sense things...One never turn your back. Two...NPCs are your friend. Occasionally you can get them to over pursue into NPCs. Believe me the addition of 5 or 6 friendlies can change the face of the fight quite a bit.

3)The best advice for beating burgs, is get a high ranked BA and Reaver to join your team. Apply HoT on them and transform them into unstoppable killing machines.
    P.S. This also works for killing every other class as well
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a010000207112/signature.png]Snagrot[/charsig]

Blogging about the Ettenmoors:
    [url]http://my.lotro.com/alfwin/[/url]

spam your insta cast heals and slow, slot BoF racial at r6 and use your staff attacks while kiting, stuff dies.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000005ce4/signature.png]Gloinfastisback[/charsig]
    Gloinfast - rank 11 dwarf Paladin - Brandywine
    Gloinfastisback - rank 4 Ranger - Riddermark
    Cudspitter - Rank 5 Warlock
    Bowdowntogloinfast - Rank 4 Rogue

Find people you can trust and group with them. Group with them as often as you can. This not only lets you learn to effectively play your role as a healer/debuffer, but also allows you a chance at some infamy to rank and be a more adequately equipped defiler. Solo play is doable, but takes practice, practice which is best applied to small groups of players you know and trust to not make your job too difficult (such as breaking line of sight when retreating, or not just standing in the path of a zerg to get just that last hit off...]

Burgs you won't have a shot at till at least r6 and Blood of Fire, unless they're really ****** burgs (even then, the crappiest ones still have enough CC/escape to deny you a win if not kill you). Even with BoF it takes patience and calm. A burg doesn't scare me alone. I can usually sustain heals through their dps, and most will just spam CC skills (even if I'm clearly not running) so you'll soon get immunity. Keep your focus on preserving your vitals while BoF/AA slowly withers them down and their power is wasted. This is all also a assuming it's just one burg, and one burg who's not going to just HiPs at the end and run...
    How did I get here?

trait all damage and run in circles smacking them with a staff spamming hots and keeps stun pots + morale and power pots on hand. Beatin a burg at low rank will probably be tough unless they are just horrible. Things other people suggested like getting npcs or spam healing a high rank dps class...the burg will probably be gone before you know it.

On the note of spam healing high rank dps classes, i've made most if not all my infamy solo the fact most defilers reduce their selves to pock healers is kinda sad, i earn a good 30+ infamy a kill with leet dpsfilering. Hit black dog just abit after 7 nearly at man-foe and elf-foe still in rank 7, hearing defilers at higher ranks just hitting those kb titles is priceless. Beating freeps in 2 on 1s and occasion 3 on 1s is just as priceless. But that of course is just my feelings on the matter...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000009cef/signature.png]Unknown[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Notaforumguy007 View Post
    trait all damage and run in circles smacking them with a staff spamming hots and keeps stun pots + morale and power pots on hand. Beatin a burg at low rank will probably be tough unless they are just horrible. Things other people suggested like getting npcs or spam healing a high rank dps class...the burg will probably be gone before you know it.

On the note of spam healing high rank dps classes, i've made most if not all my infamy solo the fact most defilers reduce their selves to pock healers is kinda sad, i earn a good 30+ infamy a kill with leet dpsfilering. Hit black dog just abit after 7 nearly at man-foe and elf-foe still in rank 7, hearing defilers at higher ranks just hitting those kb titles is priceless. Beating freeps in 2 on 1s and occasion 3 on 1s is just as priceless. But that of course is just my feelings on the matter...
    Lolz...

Most of us gave advice on starting out...Where in here did he ask for input on how we currently play at higher ranks (say 5 or 6 and up)? As far as I read, he was asking advice as a defiler starting out, and no where asked for negative feedback about how we viewed other defiler's play styles...your implied chip-on-the-shoulder against other defilers could be labeled as projected anger at yourself for your inability to fulfill the class roll, so to avoid such implications I would try to keep the flaming out as much as possible...just sayin...
    Last edited by ajfrye44; Jun 02 2010 at 01:09 AM.
    How did I get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Notaforumguy007 View Post
    Grats on being such an awesome soloer! I'm so proud of ya!

I prefer grouping and socializing and teamwork, hence I group most of the time. If you wish to call me a pocket healer, just as I called you an awesome soloer! then that's your prerogative. You enjoy the game the way you want to, and I'll enjoy it the way I want to.

Otherwise, folks have posted good advice. You will rank up faster as a defiler if you group, despite what any amazingly awesome solo defilers tell ya. Just make sure you're willing to heal. I've grouped with a few low ranked defilers lately who apparently are not aware they have healing skills. In a group situation, defilers who do damage while the creep group is dying are completely useless imo.
    Ijustpassedgas Excuseme
    Yeasty Infection