We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Hunter Questions

Hey guys, a very new hunter to the game here. This is the only computer game I play and am very green compared to you guys I'm sure. A few simple questions for you so I can get the basics:

1. In a fellowship, what is my main purpose? People are just running in and I just stand around the outside shooting the enemies it appears they are attacking. I am assuming I shoot the enemy that the first guy targets unless they stun him or something. Alot of the time I'm told to get the little guys(non elites) but I've also read on here my job is to protect the healers? Does that mean kill something that attacks them, stand close to them? I don't do many fellowships b/c I am not comfortable with them but they are alot of fun at times.
    Also, when I read about cc I'm not sure what I can do differently besides not pull anymore enemies into the group.

2. When the four fellowhip markers come up, you can tell I'm new with my terminology which does what? I end up waiting to see what my fellows choose and do the same. It ends up being the red tree or blue horse I think.

3. I don't know anything about the other characters besides the healers being my best friend. The thing I enjoy most in a fellowship is someone being a leader and explaining some strategy before the main attack. Is this common or does everyone assume I know whats going on b/c I don't unfortunately?

4. I probably need directed to a basic learning guide of some sort but I still have not figured out what aggro means either, lol.

BTW I am in firefoot so I'm not sure if there is a better place for me to start at or what. I've heard Landoval is good.

I guess I need to go to the other characters discussions and read up on what they are doing. I don't have alot of time playing but when I do I want to spend it on the amazing game and not the lorebook.

Thanks in advance guys! Any help is appreciated!

Re: New Hunter Questions

I am far from pro myself, but here are some basic tips that I feel comfortable about. Hopefully this can get you started.
    EDIT: In hindsight, this is a LOT of information! Ultimately, it's just going to take time to learn it. You'll get it as you play; you'll pick it up over time. Good luck!

1. Hunters are at the top of the damage pyramid, I think. Champions do a lot of damage too, but theirs is melee while the hunter's is ranged. I believe that your primary job most of the time (in small groups) is to do as much damage as possible without pulling aggro (see #4). In regards to protecting healers, that's everyone's job. If the healer dies, the entire group soon follows. It's easier for a hunter to do it though because you can just change targets and shoot whatever is hitting the healer. A melee person would have to run over to the healer and start whacking it. You can't take too much more damage than a healer, but you can survive a little bit longer than they can. In addition, it's not a "wipe" if a hunter dies but it's usually a wipe if the healer dies. A wipe is what it's called when the entire group dies. Anyway, it's better to have something hitting you than to have it hitting the healer. It's not ideal to have it on you, but it's better than the alternative. Even if the healer survives it, the thing hitting the healer will be interrupting the healer's ability to heal.

4. You mentioned in number 4 that you do not know about aggro. I'll jump to that since I mentioned it in response to your first question. Aggro means a mob (mobile monster) has spotted you and is attacking or chasing you. For example, "we have aggro" means that something is attacking the group. If you pull aggro, that means that you have done enough damage to a mob that it has decided that you are its number one threat to survival, so it attacks you. In a group setting, you want someone with high damage mitigation (through avoidance or absorption) to "tank" the mob. You want the mob beating on the person that will live the longest while everyone else does their primary job (healing, damage, etc.). So as a hunter, you have the delicate job of doing as much damage as possible without causing the mob to aggro onto you. Hunters can have other responsibilities too, but damage is typically their primary job in a small group (by small group, I mean "not a raid"). EDIT: When in a group, one of the quickest ways for a hunter to show that they are a "noob" is to be in strength stance. Typically, in a group, you want to be in endurance stance, which lets you attack longer by using less power, and MOST importantly, endurance stance generates less threat or aggro. Strength stance is fine when you are solo or in a very small group, but in a group with a proper tank, you want to be in endurance stance to make it less likely that you will pull aggro off the tank.

1. Also as part of number 1, you mentioned CC or crowd control. As a hunter, you have an ability called rain of thorns I believe. It is unlocked as a trait. This allows you to root multiple enemies. A "rooted" enemy or mob is one that is stuck in place and cannot move. Not too effective on ranged mobs since they can just shoot you, but for a mob that relies on melee, it keeps them from getting close enough to you to do damage. Another ability you have is bard's arrow, which is also unlocked as a trait I believe. Bard's arrow causes an enemy to run away from you for a certain amount of time that I'm not sure of. You have yet another ability that's unlocked at a certain level that allows you to "fear" enemies of the "beast" class like wargs or bears. Any time a mob/enemy is "feared" or running away from you is time that you and your group are not taking damage from said mob. There may be other CC abilities; these are the ones that I thought of off the top of my head. EDIT: Oh yeah, you also have traps that can snag and hold an enemy and traps that can "snare" an enemy, which slows it down.

2. In general, regarding the fellowship maneuvers, red=direct damage, yellow=damage over time, green=heal morale, and blue=heal power. The yellow will do more damage overall than red, but yellow takes longer to run its course. If the entire group chooses blue, then everyone would get a big boost of power. If everyone chooses green, then everyone would get a big boost to morale. If everyone chooses red, then the mob takes one big sudden amount of damage. If everyone chooses yellow, the mob will take more damage but spread out over time. There are also combos that do certain things. For example, if the grouped chooses red/red/red/red/red/blue, that results in a "named" combo called "hew the stone". Usually, a group leader will call out over voice chat to all go green if everyone is taking a beating for example. If a named combo is desired, this is usually discussed before a fight and it's determined who will choose which colors. I think hunters typically get picked for red or yellow because a hunter can contribute these colors from range. A melee character would have to run up to the mob and get into melee range to contribute red or yellow. Much more info can be found by reading about fellowship maneuvers in the lorebook. That's the basics though I believe.

3. Before a big fight where multiple mobs will aggro or before a boss fight, I would expect that the group leader would stop and explain how it's going to go down or discuss a course of action. For 'regular' combat, I wouldn't expect much discussion. If it's just 'normal' mobs (not elites or signatures) just do as much damage as you can without breaking someone else's crowd control. Example, don't shoot a mob that someone has stunned or feared. If there's a bunch of 'swarm' mobs, it's probably wise to take them out first because you can kill them faster and the less things beating on the group the better. If it's a bunch of 'normal' mobs and a signature or elite, they may want you to take out the normals first for the same reason. That's probably why you sometimes hear them tell you to take out the little guys first.

There may be some threads in the other class forums that are titled something like "what we wish other classes knew about us" or something similar. There may be lorebook entries like that too like "what hunters wish other classes knew about hunters". Those may be useful for finding out some important info about the other classes. Ultimately though, it's going to come with time and practice. If you are in a group and there's a big encounter coming up, just speak up and tell them that you're relatively new and need to know what they want you to do. For the most part, I've found the LOTRO community to be fairly mature.
    Last edited by Ignotus; May 28 2010 at 02:59 AM.

1. Crowd control, if you're fighting a bunch of mobs. Take out the extra little guys, while the tank takes on the the main guy. If there's only one elite guy, let the tank hit first to pull the aggro and start out with quick shots, moving on to other attacks after.
    Try not to use rain of arrows in groups, because that could pull all the baddies to you. (I've done it...multiple times. Lol)

2. Ignotus explained it well. And don't feel bad if you don't get the fellowship manuevers right off because there's a lot of people in the same boat as you.

3. That all depends on the group. Pick up groups (pugs) may not have any game plan before hand. Groups you're familiar with and have grouped with before should explain everything before you start pew-pewing depending on the difficulty of the mobs you're taking on. It just helps to get everyone on the same page. Don't be afraid to ask how you're going about taking out a certain mob. They shouldn't have a problem with your asking. Just means you want to do it right!

Other hunter tips:
    To reiterate what Ignotus said, Do Not Go Strength Stance in groups. I've made that mistake and aggro-ed crazy trolls. Endurance Stance is great, no aggro and doesn't drain your power.

Focus, focus, focus! It's amazing what a hunter can do when you prepare before a group battle. Focusing will open up all your skills (as long as you stand in one spot). If you move around your focus will go down.

Ignotus mentioned Rain of Thorns (not to be confused with Rain of Arrows), is a legendary trait you probably won't get for a while. But is my favorite skill. So look forward to that!
    Oh! And you will eventually get skills that will lower your threat, so you don't get a bunch of mobs on you, like Beneath Notice.

Well, I hope this is helpful!

And on servers, it's a matter of preference really. I started out on Brandywine and love it. Landroval is more roleplaying. I don't know about Firefoot, but if you ever change to Brandywine feel free to ask me any questions in game or if you ever need any help!

I sure know what it felt like to start out with a hunter and I had never played any mmorpg before this one. I can thank the community (and my forum researching skills) for getting where I am now.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/user-1001408/2010/10/21/i-can-haz-well-formulated-sentence-and-so-can-u/][b][u][size=4]i can haz well formulated sentence and so can u![/size][/b][/u][/url]

Thank you Ignotus and pocoemme! You guys made it very easy to understand and were very helpful. I'm sure like you said I just need to spend more time on the game and probably more researching in the lorebook as well. Its a very addicting game and I want to be the best I can at it.

Another random question for you.

I've been told when I advance to upper lvl regions(angmar,misties,foroche l) that if I am a high enough lvl to just go into eregion and the mines and skip the others. I for one enjoy and want to complete all regions but don't want to put myself in a situation where I'm leveling too fast and then whenever I get to the mines they are 6 lvls below me. What is some advice on moving on to different regions?

I personally feel you should hit Eregion (the land just outside of Moria) at level 45. Do the Moria Intro where you get your first legendary item, then ignore Moria for a bit and using your new LI, finish Eregion, then at about 50 go back into Moria.

Before all this, there is really only one land/zone you can perhaps skip, Forochel. I would definietely do the others, and even Forochel if you are not leveling too fast. My hunter seemed spot on for leveling in the zones and I did do Forochel because of this. As long as you hit Eregion at about 45 you should be good.
    [COLOR="Red"]Alayra 65 Minstrel[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Larytha 65 Loremaster[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Yellow"]Dustii 65 Hunter[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by kff View Post
    I am assuming I shoot the enemy that the first guy targets unless they stun him or something.
    Most of the rest has been answered, but I'll weigh in a but on target selection. You may not be high enough level for the groups you're in for the leader to be properly designating an "assist target" that shows up on your screen (it's an option you have to turn on though). If they do, then you want to follow that person's target. But in most cases, it will be a "tank", that pulls the mobs. It's not a terrible idea to hit the tank's target, but tanks routinely switch targets to keep things off of squishies like you. So commonly a Champion (or hunter) will be designated as DPS assist target. Quite often the tank will be keeping the main boss mob busy while the target assist works on one after another of the smaller ones. Focused DPS keeps the fight manageable and saves you (usually) from pulling aggro on yourself. If you turn on target forwarding in your combat options, you can make your own assist target easily, even if the leader hasn't designated one. Select the Champion and fire away. When he or she switches targets, so do you. Do NOT use a Burglar or Lore Master to target forward on, or you will be breaking their riddles/mezzes/roots.
    Parahelion - Burg, Krustii - Champ, Shurmann-Cappy, Tommac-Min, Lazarrus-LM, Thromdir-Hnt, Theodolan-Grd, Kozzmeaux - Bear - Dancing in the Dark kinship.
    Wrecks - Warg - The Black Blade

Fellowships and Hunters:

Be prepared to adapt.

Some fellowships you join and they explain what they want you to do. That's awesome and makes life easy. Just try to do what they say until you really learn what you can and can't do.

Some fellowships don't know what they want you to do, because they don't know what everyone else is going to do yet. Err on the side of caution, us QS and auto attack until tank has agro (about 30 seconds or half health on the mob). If there is no true tank grabbing agro, take out the trash and watch the healer's back.

Some fellowships DON'T TALK AT ALL, have no decipherable strategy, run around hacking and agro too many mobs and loot while being attacked, etc etc. These are more common up to level 45, but still show up (usually with a random invite when you are killing everything in sight). These, politely quit, or try to tame the beast by being the leader with polite suggestions. ("We'll kill more things faster if you wait to loot." "If we all concentrate on one target, we'll down these suckers quicker." "Quit button mashing you freak, you're getting us all killed and we hate you!")

Always best to run with people you know. get in a kin that's like minded.

Second best with a hunter is always start in 'wait and see...' mode. Ramp up your damage slow until you see what the group can handle.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002a1600/signature.png]Awesomely[/charsig][U][SIZE=2][URL="http://tinyurl.com/bptwyea"][COLOR=#0000ff]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#ffff00]A Hunter Wants You To Know[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE][/U]

Sounds like good advice, I will have to try it out. I'm assuming it is mostly important for larger fellowships but I could probably learn on the smaller ones too. Thanks guys!

I didnt take the time to read all the replies so if I rehash anything viable from other players my appologies.

1. In a fellowship, what is my main purpose? People are just running in and I just stand around the outside shooting the enemies it appears they are attacking. I am assuming I shoot the enemy that the first guy targets unless they stun him or something. Alot of the time I'm told to get the little guys(non elites) but I've also read on here my job is to protect the healers? Does that mean kill something that attacks them, stand close to them? I don't do many fellowships b/c I am not comfortable with them but they are alot of fun at times.
    Also, when I read about cc I'm not sure what I can do differently besides not pull anymore enemies into the group.
    Depends on your group honestly. Some groups are more organized than others and some groups just let all organization go out the window.

Typically though I would say putting yourself into the eyes of the party as well as personnal protector of the healers. You can stand right next to them and watch if they get aggro and quickly aim to pull that target off. If the healer dies you all die alot of times.

Its like IRL combat. The enemy isnt suppossed to take out the medics but they will because if one medic dies that 10 infantry that die.

As well you can be a good off tank to something the tank cant handle due to maybe tanking to much or the like. Poison removal is another sub job you have since you can spam the poison removal off everyone and in some places its very important you do this over DPS since some rare poisons will wipe you instantly.

2. When the four fellowhip markers come up, you can tell I'm new with my terminology which does what? I end up waiting to see what my fellows choose and do the same. It ends up being the red tree or blue horse I think.
    Again the fship manuever changes based on party. When I lead groups i will setup a group move and everyone has a designated color and place in the move to contribute.

Red is direct damage.
    Yellow is damage over time.
    Blue is power.
    Green is morale.

Now one thing since your new is to follow the color scheme of a specified fellowship manuever even if you might need power or morale. Some moves will garner you more than just the one color you want. To many times do I get morons who refuse to follow the color scheme of the fellowship manuever and screw it up and screw the whole party because the one arsehat wanted power vs the other color I needed.

Example: 3 green and 2 blue give you Pure of Heart. Dont be the idjut who hits the 4th green when you should be bue and screw over the move.

3. I don't know anything about the other characters besides the healers being my best friend. The thing I enjoy most in a fellowship is someone being a leader and explaining some strategy before the main attack. Is this common or does everyone assume I know whats going on b/c I don't unfortunately?
    If your leading the party alot of times players will assume the flower power child has the knowledge to do the instance. If not talk to your fellow gamers. Tell them im new to this dungeon but would like to play in it and if someone has knowledge in it feel free to run us in the instance.

As a small subpoint to that if you do bring in other players and offer the dungeon runner lead without giving the flower power to him/her. If they ask players to retrait for some reason dont feel you shouldnt have to just because you always run in X version. Some players have a particular style to run things that are successful and may need you set for that specific reason.

Knowing other classes and dungeons comes with time all in all. The more you play you will learn what classes are capable of and the skill names to follow suite with. Lord only knows how many skills I know on a champ but dont actually play as em but ive run with champs for 3 years now so I get the benefit to chit chat game stuff with all my buds.

4. I probably need directed to a basic learning guide of some sort but I still have not figured out what aggro means either, lol.
    Aggro is a fancy way of saying the enemy hates your ****. The more DPS or mass healing you pull off you attribute a level of hate from the enemy mob or mobs around you in combat.

A key factor as a hunter is learning proper aggro management. Sometimes for example running Str STance and beating the hell out of the enemy isnt fully advised.

All in all we have alot of good links on the Hunter Resources page if you want some light reading to do. Check out the hunter resources link on the main hunter forum page at the top and start clicking around.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Maybe thats my problem. I don't group with the same people. It seems hard to find a good fellowship and I seem to be the one asking(i usually look for numbers rather than looking for certain characters) all the time.

I also find that whatever time of the day I am on I never see more than one of my kin on at the same time and am usually the only one. Maybe its time to start looking for a new kin. It seems to take a long time to assemble 6 fellows.

I'm sure all of this will change when I get more advanced. I hear lvl 50-65 has way more fellowship quests?

What server are you on Kff?
    [COLOR="Red"]Alayra 65 Minstrel[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Larytha 65 Loremaster[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Yellow"]Dustii 65 Hunter[/COLOR]

Kannos, where do I find the info on the "pure of heart" and others? B/c thats exactly what I would have done is pull the 4th green and follow suit when I should have selected blue.

Hawt, I am on Firefoot. Is there a better one for me and my next character?

Wow no mention of threat/power books? Or that beneath notice doesnt reduce aggro it only reduces percieved threat for a small time and aggro can come back? No endurance QS to reduce aggro? FAILZ

Also if you mess up your fellow color all ya gotta do is jump out of it and pick your new colo. Dont go bongo if you jack aggro from your tank it happens. Buff up with swift stroke get the parry up and go on about your business. Hunters CAN be squishy but there are also hunters tanking the hardest raid in the game too. Food for thought.
    Captain-General Ughidontknow...Tripso rnk 6 burg...Izeatzfreepz rnk 8 warg....Yells rnk 10 warleader
    Leader of The Hobbit Syndicate
    "Everyone wants to be the hero and no one wants to be support"

I started this post last night, got bored, saved it, watched some TV and went to bed. Some of these points are just rehashing of what others have said, but I hope to hit all the high points and provide some helpful links.

Hey guys, a very new hunter to the game here. This is the only computer game I play and am very green compared to you guys I'm sure. A few simple questions for you so I can get the basics:

BTW I am in firefoot so I'm not sure if there is a better place for me to start at or what. I've heard Landoval is good.

I guess I need to go to the other characters discussions and read up on what they are doing. I don't have alot of time playing but when I do I want to spend it on the amazing game and not the lorebook.

Thanks in advance guys! Any help is appreciated!
    Firefoot is a fine server, so I really wouldn't worry much about that. Brandywine, Elendilmir and Landroval are higher population servers, but I can really speak to the "quality" of the various servers, although they do tend to have slightly different cultures.

That aside, on to the basic stuff.

1) You are supposed to be doing damage. Yes, the healer is your best friend and situational awareness is important, but when push comes to shove, you are supposed to be doing damage. The reason why someone was telling you to kill non-elite critters first is two-fold. Firstly, some classes have certain skills that can only be used for a short window after an enemy death. The Captain's Rallying Cry is a perfect example of this. It is only available for use for a few seconds after something has been defeated and it provides a nice group-wide heal. Secondly, if you are not beating up the elites, you will look less threatening to them and they will be less likely to turn around and eat you as the fight goes on... this the basic idea behind "agro" which you already stated you don't understand... we'll get to that later.

2) Fellowship Maneuvers, also known as "Conjunctions" are a fairly unique game mechanic, but pretty simple at its core. When a mob (that's MMO-speak for a monster or even loosely speaking an NPC) is in an exposed state, the members of the fellowship can input a special attack that when combined can result in a variety of outcomes... from healing and power restoration, to direct damage and damage over time applied to the mob as well as debuff removal. In a coordinated group, conjunctions can make a HUGE difference. Read the links to find out more, but it should be known that the Fellowship leader can assign a conjunction to be used and you can have a little guide that pops up with it.

Please for the love of all that is holy, learn how to use conjunctions, they can make a massive difference.

3) I am of the opinion that nobody really knows what is going on... so the fact that you admitted that you are in the dark puts you miles ahead in my estimate. In a group, feel free to ask questions of the people you are running with... a lot of experienced players are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. characters. If something sticks with you are particularly odd, feel free ask the questions here.

4) Aggro and threat are kind of interchangeable. The short story is that just about everything you do modifies how threatening a mob perceives you. Do the most damage to the mob and it will decide that you need to die. If a healer is doing a lot of healing but other players aren't generating a lot of threat (by damage or taunt skills), then the healer will become the most threatening target around and have "aggro." Tank classes, Guardians and Wardens primarily, don't do a lot of damage but have skills that generate threat without necessarily healing either. That allows them to grab aggro, but at the same time not step on the toes of DPS classes either.

Guardians and Wardens tend to mitigate damage better by having higher avoidance ratings, better armor values and a generally larger Morale pool. That is, generally where you want aggro to be. Through the different stances, a Hunter can manipulate their threat levels very effectively. Switch to Stance: Strength if you want to generate a lot of threat (and do extra damage and burn through power faster) or switch to Stance: Endurance and spam Quick Shot for a short bit to actively reduce your threat while still doing at least some damage (better than doing nothing at all). Precision stance has no active threat modifiers, but instead has a better hit rate and a increased chance to crit with Quick Shot. Each of the stances except Stance: Fleet (which you don't have an nobody uses) modifies Quick Shot in some way and have their own bonuses and drawbacks. No one stance is the best for all things, so feel free to change stances as the situation dictates.

There is a lot of good material in the sticky thread, but all that information can be a bit daunting and you may end up with more questions than you started with... feel free to ask whatever questions you may have. Its better to appear ignorant but willing to learn than just plain old stupid.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Kannos, where do I find the info on the "pure of heart" and others? B/c thats exactly what I would have done is pull the 4th green and follow suit when I should have selected blue.
    Pure of Heart and other Fship Manuevers should be in the Lorebook if I recall. Typically when I pug groups out and dont know all the players I avoid doing anything complicated on them to ease the issues of PUGs.

Pure of Heart is always a safe way even when nothing is going bad to keep things smooth and relaxed.

If I wasnt on break right now at work Id take a little extra time to search for an exact link on Fship Manuever Listings.

Maybe thats my problem. I don't group with the same people. It seems hard to find a good fellowship and I seem to be the one asking(i usually look for numbers rather than looking for certain characters) all the time.

I also find that whatever time of the day I am on I never see more than one of my kin on at the same time and am usually the only one. Maybe its time to start looking for a new kin. It seems to take a long time to assemble 6 fellows.

I'm sure all of this will change when I get more advanced. I hear lvl 50-65 has way more fellowship quests?
    I have a small kin myself that I run but for The DoA it has always been about Quality not Quantity so even if were short on a group we know alot of players on Nimrodel to pug around with or even to group with.

Heck Ive played nearly all my raids aside Turtle and Watcher with the same 12 people over the years and most arnt even in my kin .

If you like to run kin only then yeah id say find a bigger kin. Alas I know nothing of Firefoot but someone will around here. Mostly on the smaller to medium servers finding group play will be a little slower in the lower level regions since most are only working on alts and dont worry about questing the big zones in the little big boy areas.

When you hit the 50+ level you will probably find higher volume of gamers to rock out with.

One thing with PUGs is that you tend to take what you can get. Thats fine and dandy but a little tidbit to any dungeon you come to.

Have a Healer, Crowd Controller, Tank, and the other 3 can be what you want. The 3 I mentioned will be a focus in almost any dungeon on some way or the other.

I tend to aim for Healer, CCer, Tank, Off Tank/DPS, Buffer and 3rd string DPS.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Here's a good page that explains Fellowship Maneuvers (or Conjuctions as they are also called) and lists the ones you can do. They're a cool and relatively unique part of the game, kind of like a 6-man special attack.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Conjunctions

A good leader will pick the FM that the group will use and ask people to either choose which color/position they want, or will assign a color/position to everyone. Pure of Heart is the most common maneuver because it gives healing and power and is relatively easy to execute, but more experienced groups may try to execute more difficult maneuvers.

Once you get into the 50 - 65 level range you should start to see a lot more people. Moria is still a bustling place and a hub of activity for end-game.

Some quick thoughts on regions:
    - You can't use the stables in Moria until you're level 50 anyway, so don't bother going into Moria until then. Although you can do the Moria intro to get your first legendary item at level 45/46.
    - Angmar was the old end-game area when the level cap used to be 50. So there's a ton of stuff to do there and you won't get to see even half of it before you outlevel it. I don't know if that affects your decision or not.
    - Go to Forochel, at least for a little while. It's a beautiful zone and is very nice for solo questing. Well worth spending some time there.
    Last edited by brasswire12; May 29 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Yeah I probably won't waist too much time on angmar, don't want to overlevel and I hear eregion is a great region as well. So far I seem to be a person that keeps way too many fellowship quests on my log in hopes I will find a group at some point and then end up 5-8 lvls beyond it and cancelling it. I get wrapped up in trying to complete everything possible but I just want to experience every part of every region.

Do most of you guys try to do the raids at your lvl or do you pass them by b/c noone else is on them and complete them later at a 65 lvl or whatever? I don't think I've seen anyone try to get a raid group together yet that I'm aware of.

Do most of you guys try to do the raids at your lvl or do you pass them by b/c noone else is on them and complete them later at a 65 lvl or whatever? I don't think I've seen anyone try to get a raid group together yet that I'm aware of.
    PuG raiding groups tend to be few and far between in my experience, even less so for raids that are no longer part of current end game.

You will probably see some on-level 6 man groups running Carn Dum in Angmar, and when you get to Moria the Turtle 12-man raid is still quite popular. But your best bet if you want to experience any of the other raid content in the game is to join a raiding kinship.

Make sure you read all the stickies. Most of them have a lot of good information.

This one is titled: A Basic Combat Primer for Fellowships.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=33692
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]