We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Stealth ... help me understand.

two basic questions:

1. how does a + bonus to stealth help me when I'm not using either Camo or Sylvan Shadows? Does it have any effect outside of those two skills? (I have a cloak and pocket item that both have +2 Stealth)

2. How does + stealth detection work? I'm assuming it just helps you detect stealthed critters from a greater distance (e.g. Harder for those Moria goblin Sneaks to ambush me ... bast.ards). But I was hoping for more info than that.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Re: Stealth ... help me understand.

+Stealth only helps when you're stealthed, so only Camo or racial stealth for a hunter. I think +Detection increases your chances of spotting critters rather than the distance at which you can spot them, but it ends up working pretty much the same either way.

Also, +Stealth and +Detection are opposing stats. Meaning if you have +X Stealth and your opponent has +Y Detection, then your actual Stealth level will be X-Y.

If you're looking for more detailed info on how stealth/detection works, you might want to try the burglar forums. If anyone's done any research into stealth mechanics, it's them.

I think the + stealth also works with Share the Fun, which is the burg skill to stealth others.

From what I understand, + Stealth and + Detect adjust your LEVEL @ being detected by a foe or detecting a foe (respectively.)

So, if you're 65, and have +2 stealth cape, and +2 pocket, and pop Hobbit-Stealth, you'd be considered stealthed as a level 66. (Hobbit steath - 3 stealth) w/o items, a 62.

With camo instead (which is at-level, I believe), 69. w/o items, a 65.

W/ pre-SoM +camo leg, full-up, and items, you could be considered a 72. ^^

--
    We don't know what Heightened Senses does for + Detect, but we assume it's at least (and probably only) +1 to your level in detecting others (ie, you detect as a 66 w/ HS slotted.)

Legendary item w/ + detect would boost it the listed levels.

Hammer-Mark cloak would boost it another +1.

--
    What's that mean? Hell, I don't really know, to be frank. If someone does, post up.

But in the Moors, I slot HS (for the range, too.) But I kept my 1A dagger w/ +Camo and +Detect, got a Hammer-Mark Cloak (+1 detect, +2 stealth), and use a pocket item to effectively "max" all my stealths and detects.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    From what I understand, + Stealth and + Detect adjust your LEVEL @ being detected by a foe or detecting a foe (respectively.)

So, if you're 65, and have +2 stealth cape, and +2 pocket, and pop Hobbit-Stealth, you'd be considered stealthed as a level 66. (Hobbit steath - 3 stealth) w/o items, a 62.

With camo instead (which is at-level, I believe), 69. w/o items, a 65.

W/ pre-SoM +camo leg, full-up, and items, you could be considered a 72. ^^

--
    We don't know what Heightened Senses does for + Detect, but we assume it's at least (and probably only) +1 to your level in detecting others (ie, you detect as a 66 w/ HS slotted.)

Legendary item w/ + detect would boost it the listed levels.

Hammer-Mark cloak would boost it another +1.

--
    What's that mean? Hell, I don't really know, to be frank. If someone does, post up.

But in the Moors, I slot HS (for the range, too.) But I kept my 1A dagger w/ +Camo and +Detect, got a Hammer-Mark Cloak (+1 detect, +2 stealth), and use a pocket item to effectively "max" all my stealths and detects.

Good break down. If you want to see this in practice run around and experiment with stealth around MOBs of varying levels. You wil notice how easily they do or do not see you. Same with Stealth detection. You will notice a distict difference when you outlevel stealthy NPCs. They are muh easier to spot. Bog lurkers near GA are a good example. Always a pain at level but when you go bak at level 65 you see those stealthed lurkers from a distance with no problems.

I personally love stealth enhancers. I always have a pocket itme with +stealth and carry a +stealth cloak in my inventory as well. Very useful at times.

Gear and skills that give you + to stealth level increase your variant level in stealth by that amount making it harder for enemies of equal or lower level to detect you.

example: a level 60 warg is roaming around and you dont want to fight him. As a Hunter you have camouflage and are lvl 60. You hit Camo and with the +1 to stealth level you are now equal to 61st level instead of 60 and making it harder for the warg to detect you.

The detection is also distance based. If you are equal or lower than the foe in question you need to keep more of a distance away from the enemy to avoid detection. If your stealth level is high enough you can have them walk right over you and they wont notice you at all.

Stealth Detection works in the same manner but for finding stealthed foes that are near you.

Now after some playing with heightened senses trait n without i found that HS must give a hidden bonus to stealth detection since i can find foes much much much much easyier with it on than off.

Example: Bob The Builder is hiding out near a tree from you cuz well your badass and are gonna make him regret stealing your wrench earlier. His level is 63 with an Elf Stealth Trait activated of -3 making his Level for detection of 60.

You are level 58 with a pocket item and main hand weapon that give you Stealth Detection +5 accumulated among the two items. Your level for detection is now 63 instead of 58 since you have all those bonuses.

Finding said foe should be easy peazy but you may have to get close to them to sense them due to only being 3 higher. The higher your detection the further away you have to be to detect someone detectable to you.

I would of added in heightened senses but until the actual level of detection is given for a bonus i ddidnt want to put up a fake number.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

+detection has ZERO impact on HS period. HS is nothing more than TRACKING not SEEING hidden foes. Having a +detection weapon will allow you to SEE a foe before he sees you(granted he doesnt have the same thing :P)

Side note I do notice the difference with +stealth on my burg but have seen 0 difference on my hunter.
    Ughidontknow rnk 14 hunter...Tripso rnk 6 burg...Izeatzfreepz rnk 8 warg....Yells rnk 10 warleader
    Leader of The Hobbit Syndicate
    "Everyone wants to be the hero and no one wants to be support"

Quote Originally Posted by idontcare789 View Post
    +detection has ZERO impact on HS period. HS is nothing more than TRACKING not SEEING hidden foes. Having a +detection weapon will allow you to SEE a foe before he sees you(granted he doesnt have the same thing :P)

Side note I do notice the difference with +stealth on my burg but have seen 0 difference on my hunter.

It *SAYS* it does, on the tooltip.

Your exceptional senses allow you to track creatures over a greater distance, even if they are using Stealth, and to more easily detect creatures using Stealth.
    We just don't know the effect. b/c of that, I think most of us assume it's at least (and likely, limited to) the minimum amount, which would be +1.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

In all honesty I doubted the Heightened Senses hidden Bonus as well until Recently when I tested it out a little bit.

BG was biggest Example next to Warg Pens.

I couldnt sense even with a maxed out Stealth Detection Legacy on my LI in BG without HS on but with it on I could catch them in the next room a moderate distance from myself and could move away.

Warg Pens was another one. I forgot to slot HS and couldnt sense the stealthed Wargs on the lower level of WP but with HS on I could. Again at the time the LI had the Detection Legacy.

Now Im not saying it has some crazy bonus number but I do believe it garners at least a +1 Slotted Modifier to your SD and maybe Range to detect since it also increases your track range.

EDIT: Somehow felt this was Stealth related....Since im in a rare Image hunting mood today.

Last edited by Kannos1600; May 28 2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar