We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Solo on the Moors: how do you do it?

So, while I think I am reasonably good at grouping in the Moors, I was wondering how people set themselves up to run solo. Quite frankly, I feel pretty useless without somebody to shield brother when I am out there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

Re: Solo on the Moors: how do you do it?

eric cartman..."need a slowww.... cmoooon.... cmooooooon! ah god damn it!"
    Kraken, Thesungodra

There are two ways to solo in the moors, gold tag, or run around the map looking for 1v1s (or 1v 2s or 3s if you find greeines ^^).

For gold tagging trait the archer, keep shield brother up on it use evade when its targetted and just tag everything (this also has the advantage of having the worst slow in the game (10%).

When looking for 1v1s I tend to trait full HoH with either turn the tide or renewed voice and defiance (defiance is for the 1v2 or 3s i was talking about). The best way to survive as a cappy is to stack self heals, muster courage, valiant strike add alot to survivablility over the course of the fight. Pretty much every creep class (with the exception of a WL and defiler) have much more DPS than a captain so trying to out DPS them tends not to be too successful.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights[/SIZE]

4. Re: Solo on the Moors: how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocatequil View Post
    There are two ways to solo in the moors, gold tag, or run around the map looking for 1v1s (or 1v 2s or 3s if you find greeines ^^).

For gold tagging trait the archer, keep shield brother up on it use evade when its targetted and just tag everything (this also has the advantage of having the worst slow in the game (10%).

When looking for 1v1s I tend to trait full HoH with either turn the tide or renewed voice and defiance (defiance is for the 1v2 or 3s i was talking about). The best way to survive as a cappy is to stack self heals, muster courage, valiant strike add alot to survivablility over the course of the fight. Pretty much every creep class (with the exception of a WL and defiler) have much more DPS than a captain so trying to out DPS them tends not to be too successful.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for this response. First, a newbie question (after playing end game LOTRO for two years!): what exactly is gold tagging?

Second, for soloing, do you recommend muster courage over a herald (whether for stun or for additional dps)?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    Thanks for this response. First, a newbie question (after playing end game LOTRO for two years!): what exactly is gold tagging?

Second, for soloing, do you recommend muster courage over a herald (whether for stun or for additional dps)?
    Its pretty much where you are solo in a group of other solo (or grouped) freeps. Its just sitting back and getting as much renown as you can =p
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh

This

GoldTag is easy and lucrative.

1v2-3 greenies, well they got balls when they are grouping, though if they are unorganized its an easy cake.
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv105, Gladden

I guess I have a different perspective on the moors when I go out solo on my captain. Quite frankly, when I'm out solo I tend to treat it the same as when I'm grouped: I heal my *** off.

I prefer to be grouped, but there are times when no one else is interested and I'm stuck playing solo. I still tend to find a champ and stick close to him and spam WoC a lot, make myself a target (creeps will typically think I'm grouped and target me first) allowing the DPS classes to take down creeps.

Obviously these things will never show up in my war tab, but I am contributing to denying creeps of what they desire most: kills and infamy.
    [B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#999999][SIZE=1]Revelations Kin of Firefoot[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]
    R9 Captain | R9 Champ | R9 LM[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#800000]R9 Reaver | R8 Warg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I sucked out Votans class trait build awhile ago, and it worked really well for me, it's good for groups/raids too =)

For a dedicated solo build it might be good to trait HoH and spec up as much might/agi/vit you can as if you were champ. Self heals stay kinda the same ime, and getting over 1k on that valiant strike hit is really nice =O (i personally haven't done this, my defiler got hit for one though >.>)

Generally i try to keep a balanced build on my cappy.

But an unorganised, 2 cappies vs 5

That would be interesting =)
    We should try it sometime eh votan?

How do you work around slows? I literally cannot catch BAs and Weavers to hit them in a 1v1 and am kited to death. :-(
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    How do you work around slows? I literally cannot catch BAs and Weavers to hit them in a 1v1 and am kited to death. :-(
    You don't :P Use Make Haste liberally to catch fleeing targets (a Make Haste clicky is nice for this) and hope you can kill them before it wears off.

We have no slow, so if something doesn't want to die to you they can just start going the opposite direction. Welcome to the life of a captain
    [B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#999999][SIZE=1]Revelations Kin of Firefoot[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]
    R9 Captain | R9 Champ | R9 LM[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#800000]R9 Reaver | R8 Warg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

there's not much to do really...

I just get on my RK . Soloing in the moors on a captain when you have a burg, champ, and RK to switch to seems pointless lol. I enjoy it more in groups anyway.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post

I just get on my RK . Soloing in the moors on a captain when you have a burg, champ, and RK to switch to seems pointless lol. I enjoy it more in groups anyway.
    QFT...there are much more fun classes to play solo out there. On BW, solo captains typically become food for the zerg quick. I'm not saying soloing on a cappie can't be done. I just don't have the patience to seek out that painful of an existence.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002c1bac/signature.png]Wubbz[/charsig]

Get an li for the Make haste duration. Use that skill which takes 1200 morale and activates your on-defeat skills and have stun slotted. =)

Thats about the only way unless you want to use your archer unfortunately

Get them to about 2k morale (when they normally start running), when they start running (normally with evade on) battle shout, make haste, in time of need, routing cry, dev blow, blade of elendil, dev blow.

Assuming you have turn the tide slotted (which I normally do soloing).

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post

My captain NEEDS to be rank 9 and have the black horse.

./cries a little inside when i see onver 130k to go to rank 9 =/

Is working with a herald feasible for solo? Archer slow, or herald stun?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000098f99/01003/signature.png]Truzgaw[/charsig]
    Sokaren - 60 Runekeeper
    Brivlo - 60 Burglar R3
    Mejinboohaha - Reaver R4

As no one answered properly.

You have to play on your target greed. Instead of running after them you have to make them come to you. So cut their range and if they really want you they'll come for you and try to melee you. Right you don't have slow but there are ways to work around it, first thing first : Turn of the Tide. Its our only CC, so use it, then make haste can also be very helpful when they start to flee and try to use TotT at the best key moment (can't tell when it comes from experience).

So, you won't be able to kill the world, so you have to pick up the good targets...

And if you need more insight from experienced people, ask Doomed, he's in your guild now..

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    This

GoldTag is easy and lucrative.

1v2-3 greenies, well they got balls when they are grouping, though if they are unorganized its an easy cake.
    Goldtagging is also a good way to not make friends. It's better to group up, than to refuse to help the very raid you are leeching off of. You wouldn't survive without the raid standing on top of you. Join and help.

Or run around the map solo, without tracking, slows, snares, traps, or any CC at all. (TotT does NOT count!!). With the current power level of wargs (heck, ALL creeps), and with no escapability, you are just asking to get killed, over and over.

Last Stand + Man Heal may grant you one win, but the smart Creep would know that, run right back, and take vengeance.

I would probably have suggested this strategy too...prior to Mirkwood. Creep mitigations are too high to rely on valiant strike to save you. If valiant strike misses you basically wasted your entire build.

This is what I run with when 1v1ing and it's the best I've found in terms of consistency:

Traits

Red Line Renewed Voice: Setting up as many Devastating Blows as possible is important and you can run out of good melee skills if you don't use this.

Red Line Turn the Tide: It's unlikely you'll ever use it but on the off chance that you crit enough on the devastating blows this becomes extremely nice as a finisher.

Red Line Expert Attacks: This tends to be the money maker/breaker. A crit is so important that you shouldn't run without this when 1v1ingg.

Red Line Adherent of Elendil: This used to be a lot better before we had our DPS nerfed. With the legacy traited and a crit on it I was hitting for near the Devastating Strike range. Now the 15% really is only useful as it works towards the red line bonus and gives you a tad more damage.

Red Line Battle Master: Not a ton of damage but it provides just a little bit more which can be the difference when you crit.

Red Line Focused Strikes or Captains Valour...they are marginally useful either way. I guess I usually go with focused just to help me hit a tiny bit more.

Blue Line Captain of Hope: To start you off with as much health as possible.

Blue Line Strength of Will: Gives you a little under 500 health each time you get it off. With the CD on it it becomes very useful.

Legendaries

Master of War: If you crit on a devastating blow and a shadow's lament then you can change the course of a fight quite quickly.

IDOME: For obvious reasons.

Oathbreakers Shame: If you feel it's necessary to use CDs.

Course

Start with the Banner of Hope out and use a mark (I've found that the marks really are preference based, I use Revealing but both have their merits). As soon as you run at the enemy get off a bleed, the amount of damage that does (if legacied) is remarkable. Then go through the sequence of skills. When you get below the Banner Switch Threshold, get some distance from your enemy (just a tiny bit, no need to run) and switch over to the Banner of War to basically negate everything they've done so far.

If you crit on a devastating use shadow's lament. I've had a crit on Devastating, crit on Shadow's Lament and a crit again on Devastating to take out high ranked reavers.

Use defensive strike as little as possible. What I mean by that is just blow through ALL your highest damage skills.

Personally

I don't use anything >= 5 minutes of Cool Down. Basically if I can't immediately run straight back into a fight I don't bother with the skill. That's why you don't see defiance up there and I won't even use Oathbreaker's shame. Again, this is preference based. I just hate the feeling that "maybe if I waited another 10 minutes I could do this fight without dying." I 1v1 to finish a fight, not to trudge around with 1 health for 25 seconds.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000ae686/01003/signature.png]Amalthea[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Adrastea View Post
    I would probably have suggested this strategy too...prior to Mirkwood. Creep mitigations are too high to rely on valiant strike to save you. If valiant strike misses you basically wasted your entire build.

This is what I run with when 1v1ing and it's the best I've found in terms of consistency:

Traits

Red Line Renewed Voice: Setting up as many Devastating Blows as possible is important and you can run out of good melee skills if you don't use this.

Red Line Turn the Tide: It's unlikely you'll ever use it but on the off chance that you crit enough on the devastating blows this becomes extremely nice as a finisher.

Red Line Expert Attacks: This tends to be the money maker/breaker. A crit is so important that you shouldn't run without this when 1v1ingg.

Red Line Adherent of Elendil: This used to be a lot better before we had our DPS nerfed. With the legacy traited and a crit on it I was hitting for near the Devastating Strike range. Now the 15% really is only useful as it works towards the red line bonus and gives you a tad more damage.

Red Line Battle Master: Not a ton of damage but it provides just a little bit more which can be the difference when you crit.

Red Line Focused Strikes or Captains Valour...they are marginally useful either way. I guess I usually go with focused just to help me hit a tiny bit more.

Blue Line Captain of Hope: To start you off with as much health as possible.

Blue Line Strength of Will: Gives you a little under 500 health each time you get it off. With the CD on it it becomes very useful.

Legendaries

Master of War: If you crit on a devastating blow and a shadow's lament then you can change the course of a fight quite quickly.

IDOME: For obvious reasons.

Oathbreakers Shame: If you feel it's necessary to use CDs.

Course

Start with the Banner of Hope out and use a mark (I've found that the marks really are preference based, I use Revealing but both have their merits). As soon as you run at the enemy get off a bleed, the amount of damage that does (if legacied) is remarkable. Then go through the sequence of skills. When you get below the Banner Switch Threshold, get some distance from your enemy (just a tiny bit, no need to run) and switch over to the Banner of War to basically negate everything they've done so far.

If you crit on a devastating use shadow's lament. I've had a crit on Devastating, crit on Shadow's Lament and a crit again on Devastating to take out high ranked reavers.

Use defensive strike as little as possible. What I mean by that is just blow through ALL your highest damage skills.

Personally

I don't use anything >= 5 minutes of Cool Down. Basically if I can't immediately run straight back into a fight I don't bother with the skill. That's why you don't see defiance up there and I won't even use Oathbreaker's shame. Again, this is preference based. I just hate the feeling that "maybe if I waited another 10 minutes I could do this fight without dying." I 1v1 to finish a fight, not to trudge around with 1 health for 25 seconds.
    Its an interesting build, I think that the correct captain moors solo build is very server dependant. I know on windy if i rolled a 5red line set up I would be destroyed (being as I have no support at all our there, as in total of 6 people around on both sides).

I am assuming that rather than strength of will you mean strength from within though <.<

I haven't been to the moors for a long time on my captain but I remember Revealing mark + Strength from Within heals helped with 1v1s a tonne, you could literally regenerate your morale back quite well. That and lucky Dev. strike hits which opened up my defeat responses...
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000007e951/01003/signature.png]Faegrim[/charsig]
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"][COLOR="Silver"][B]Drfae[/B] Lvl 60 Minstrel[/COLOR] | [COLOR="Silver"][B]Avenscha[/B] Lvl 65 Champion[/COLOR] | [COLOR="Silver"][B]Faeolin[/B] Lvl 61 Hunter[/COLOR]
    [/center][/FONT][center][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]Faetality[/B] Rank 8 Revear | [B]Sneakysneaksneak[/B] Rank 5 Warg[/COLOR][/center]

Its an interesting build, I think that the correct captain moors solo build is very server dependant. I know on windy if i rolled a 5red line set up I would be destroyed (being as I have no support at all our there, as in total of 6 people around on both sides).

I am assuming that rather than strength of will you mean strength from within though <.<
    The build assumes an agreed upon 1v1 fight. If you are with another person, a fellowship or a raid then NEVER go with this build.

If I am not doing a 1v1 I run with 5 HoH and Turn the Tide with Defiance tacked on if I feel like I'm getting targeted as a primary healer.

And yes, you're right, I meant Strength from Within.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000ae686/01003/signature.png]Amalthea[/charsig]

Thumbs up Re: Solo on the Moors: how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrastea View Post
    Very nice post
    What a nice post!

Well written, organized, even got icons!

+rep to you, sir

I don't know if pvp builds go into the lorebook, but if they do, that post should be there!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001307b6/01003/signature.png]Turimborn[/charsig]
    [i]If you found this post useful, please add rep to the poster by clicking on the star icon in the bottom left corner of this message (you have to be logged in to do so).[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by TheStormKing View Post
    Goldtagging is also a good way to not make friends. It's better to group up, than to refuse to help the very raid you are leeching off of. You wouldn't survive without the raid standing on top of you. Join and help.

It depends, but overall i rarely been impress by the many raids i've been into, i prefer to take the risk at soloing there... Especially when it ain't that hard to solo.. Anyway, it has been a long time that i haven't pvmp and i guess i won't anymore. If i want pvp and a good adrenaline rush, i'll resub warhammer..

Or run around the map solo, without tracking, slows, snares, traps, or any CC at all. (TotT does NOT count!!).

So what, i never cried about that, actually I'm so used to the lack of it that i don't care. I just learned to play without it.

With the current power level of wargs (heck, ALL creeps), and with no escapability, you are just asking to get killed, over and over.

Depend on the servers, but doggies never been a problem - If you are scared of the ganker maybe you should take a longer route to get where you want to go.........

Last Stand + Man Heal may grant you one win, but the smart Creep would know that, run right back, and take vengeance.

There were nights that i never used it at all, its just a question about how you play, if you stay low profile and choose your target carefully you will never get the attention and do a lot of kills.
    Greed is my achille's heel

Darn this thread make me resub warhammer...

And i got my two first sovereign armor piece ! (phattest armor in the game) and in the same siege ( in try for 1 raid ) !

Thank you lotro's community !
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Jun 07 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast