We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1

    Soloing as Captain?

    Hi folks --

    I am posting both to see if a) I'm the only one who feels like this, or if there are others who agree with me, and
    b) If the former, if it's my problem alone, can anyone give me some tips for doin it rite?

    Ever since I got into this game at release, soloing with my Captain has just been painful, painful, painful. To the point that I have dropped the game for extended periods more than once. Moria got me to just about quit the game altogether. Soooo many patting mobs, such fast respawn...I just can't seem to kill things fast enough to stay alive. Whether I use herald or banner. And then you get killed in the middle of an orc nest, and have to run back, wait for dread to drop, and slowly laboriously kill your way back in again...only, half the time, to get killed in the exact same way. (The new revive-in-place feature is nice in theory, but I almost always find myself too buried in respawn to be able to use it!)

    So. Am I crazy? Or is soloing just too darn hard in this game, especially for certain classes?

    And if it's just me being crazy, what are folks' suggestions for soloing without tears as a Captain? (Builds, rotations, etc. I don't have enough in-game money to buy expensive crafted gear. And I don't have much choice about having to solo because of my usual playing hours.)

    I love my Captain -- I especially love grouping with my Captain -- but if I can't level her on my own time I'm not sure I wanna do this anymore.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    sorry can't agree there, I think soloing on my captain is the easiest out of all my toons. just trait HoH and you will pretty much never die unless you make a really bad pull.

    what level are you?
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    324

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Where are you at in leveling? Sounds like you're fairly high up, if you were in Moria. I leveling my captain after Mirkwood came out, and the hardest part was probably 28-38 or so. After 45 or so I found it slow but not too difficult. Some suggestions: after a certain point (40-something, I think) heralds become worth less than the bonuses of a crit morale banner. So drop the herald for the banner. But once you get your archer herald, use him.

    Also, do easy content. Unless you have a compulsion to complete everything on level, skip quests that are giving you trouble, or seem likely to. There's more content than is needed to level. For example, at level 57 or so you can run a few arrows and such to gain access to Lorien, and then get a pile of quick, easy and fairly safe XP questing in there. Pick flowers, light lamps, get into the city and deliver lembas to guards. The city alone is worth about 200k on-level, and can be completed quickly.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000002ab0d/01007/signature.png]Voegelion[/charsig]
    Juliadoca - 75 Burglar, Marieclare - 75 Warden, Claes - 75 Rune Keeper, Julywen - 75 Captain

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    sorry can't agree there, I think soloing on my captain is the easiest out of all my toons. just trait HoH and you will pretty much never die unless you make a really bad pull.

    what level are you?


    what the HECK is hoh? you think everyone is born knowing every abbrev there is?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,027

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by NazgulWannabe View Post
    Hi folks --

    I am posting both to see if a) I'm the only one who feels like this, or if there are others who agree with me, and
    b) If the former, if it's my problem alone, can anyone give me some tips for doin it rite?

    Ever since I got into this game at release, soloing with my Captain has just been painful, painful, painful. To the point that I have dropped the game for extended periods more than once. Moria got me to just about quit the game altogether. Soooo many patting mobs, such fast respawn...I just can't seem to kill things fast enough to stay alive. Whether I use herald or banner. And then you get killed in the middle of an orc nest, and have to run back, wait for dread to drop, and slowly laboriously kill your way back in again...only, half the time, to get killed in the exact same way. (The new revive-in-place feature is nice in theory, but I almost always find myself too buried in respawn to be able to use it!)

    So. Am I crazy? Or is soloing just too darn hard in this game, especially for certain classes?

    And if it's just me being crazy, what are folks' suggestions for soloing without tears as a Captain? (Builds, rotations, etc. I don't have enough in-game money to buy expensive crafted gear. And I don't have much choice about having to solo because of my usual playing hours.)

    I love my Captain -- I especially love grouping with my Captain -- but if I can't level her on my own time I'm not sure I wanna do this anymore.

    Thanks in advance.
    This game is easy to solo, even on captain, so you are definitively doing something wrong.

    I think the proble might be the stat focus and how you are just handling stuff.. Tell me more instead of saying "omfg its so hard to solo".. We need more information if you wish help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Memniock View Post
    what the HECK is hoh? you think everyone is born knowing every abbrev there is?
    Take a chill pill mate, you aren't that constructive - oh and this is Hand of Healing.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

  6. Re: Soloing as Captain?

    HoH = Hands of Healing It is a one of the class traitlines for Captains and generally the one most used in grouping.

    Personally, I don't think heavy investment in it makes sense until after level 58, when you have access to the capstone.

    Final note: since LOTRO was my first online game, I felt awash in abbreviations and jargon when I first started (aggro, tank, dps... all new to me). But jargon doesn't take long to assimilate and one need not get snarky about it: just ask, and someone will be happy to respond, with a smile
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    For me, 28-40 was painful. At 40, I went and completed the Armor of Fem questline, dropped the herald for a critted standard, and life was smooth sailing after that. One other piece of advice a kinmate gave me that I'll share: do not neglect your virtues and deeds. Pre 40 I barely touched them. I spent a solid two weeks getting my virtues back up to where they should be, finished off all racial and class deeds available, and ground out the legendary pages. The difference was night and day. I was taking less damage, had more power, was resisting incoming damage types more, and was able to really shine as a Captain.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001d581f/01008/signature.png]Exarch[/charsig]

  8. #8

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Memniock View Post
    what the HECK is hoh? you think everyone is born knowing every abbrev there is?
    I agree...chill out. A simple what is HoH? would have sufficed.

    But I do however think that everyone is born with the capability to learn how to read.
    Last edited by IGolbezI; May 19 2010 at 11:10 AM.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  9. #9

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    It may be more difficult...now.

    Leveling a captain after game release was pretty decent. There were "doldrums" in the mid-levels, but I consistently just did stuff solo without realizing other classes even worried about it.

    However, we need to know your level. Your forum account is set to anon for your characters, so we can't just look it up. Knowing your level tells us what skills/tools you have access to and what sort of content you are attempting to solo.
    [CENTER]

    [/CENTER]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    650

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Keep at it dude, it's a great class, but beware.

    There are areas in game, that even though are 'soloable' isn't a great place to infact, solo, regardless of class, and I'm pretty sure from your description your right in the middle of one of them. A place where they respawn very quickly.

    Personally when I was 20ish or something, Oatbarton area was very hairy soloing, later on hillman area east of Estildin and then the goblin area in northern evendim, and in Moria the goblin camp in east part of umm, that map south of dolven view.

    Some areas just are more intense, that's all so don't worry, I think many have notice some areas like that. You're not broken! haha.

    Don't be afraid to ask for a hand, I'm often surprised at how nice and helpful people can be in lotro.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000bbae9/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    What I type here, is only so I don't get banned. What I really think goes [url=www.aoeworth.blogspot.com]here[/url].
    [/center]

  11. #11

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Well, all right. I'm frankly kind of afraid to post build and all because I know very well I'll get a lot of "wuts rong with u STOOPID," because nerd chestthumping is what forums are for. :-) Also, it seems perfectly possible to me to give general advice on statting for soloing without having to know a particular character's build.

    Anyway. I'm sure I'll regret this, but fine.

    I'm level 64, and god has it been painful.

    I'm in mostly quest reward and reputation rewards stuff. I sprang for a crafted emblem and a crafted halberd, but I'm too poor to afford a full set of crafted (I don't have a mining character in the top metal tier). I have also gotten varied opinions on what stats are important for Captains, for instance Might versus Agility, that I would appreciate getting straightened out.

    I've been advised to do crit banners instead of heralds, so I got a guildie to make crit banners. Frankly, so far I'm not really convinced that I'm any more survivable with the banners than with the heralds. Why, why are there no max level banners? Anyway. ATM I'm trying to slog it out with the banners because that's what everyone says to do, but I hate it. I hate not having access to the uh-oh buttons on the heralds. (And which banner for soloing anyway? War? Hope?)

    I've had some people tell me to use a 1h-and-shield, some tell me to use a 2h. At the moment I'm doing a halberd just because I enjoy halberds, but I would value a reason-based commentary on which is best for soloing. So far, I can't say I've noticed a difference in survivability either way.

    I've also tried traiting different ways: I tried mostly red, I tried mostly yellow, and then I sort of gave up because again, I wasn't noticing a big difference in how often I ended up dead, and decided to do what I darn well pleased. Which is currently 3 Hands of Healing (blue), 2 Lead the Charge (red) and 2 Leader of Men (yellow).

    My virtues are probably not where they should be because I have very limited play time and refuse to spend it killing 500 grey-level leeches or whatever just to up a stupid virtue. (Another of my serious complaints about this game. :-) I've made a bit of an effort to get traits that guildies said were important, but not really gone all out yet, and honestly, I don't want to unless I know for sure that a given virtue will really, really help. If it really makes a difference, fine, I'll kill the 500 leeches, but convince me. :-) ATM my slotted traits in order from strongest to weakest are Idealism, Loyalty, Fidelity, Justice and Empathy.

    Please don't bother telling me I don't know how to play. I'm a very old hand at MMOs, but without good solid information I'm finding it hard to figure out how to weight things in LOTRO. If anyone knows of a good website with current-best-practices advice for soloing (as opposed to raiding) builds/equipment, that would be wonderful too...so far I've looked for such a site in vain. So far all I have is a lot of conflicting advice from in-game chats.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NazgulWannabe; Jun 09 2010 at 03:23 AM.

  12. #12

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Since I have a Level 20 Captain, I am not going to be able to give you very much help on Class builds but I would like to comment more generally.

    I am convinced (and this will be scrutinized) that Virtues are not game-changers. They are nice to pick up along the way and you can get a lot of points in Virtues just but touring Middle Earth. At your level, you might want to do that. You can see the expansive world Turbine has created and at the same time level up traits without having to purge the swamps of Neekerbreekers.

    What are worth it, though, are class traits, some racial traits and legendary traits. Grind those out because they do help. Finally, if you don't already, get the best gear you can for your Captain. If that means IOUs to kinmates, then ask them. If it means joining every GS/HoC/FG/Skumfil/16th Hall run then join them. Plus, these runs can be a lot of fun, you will work on deeds, and you get a great feel for your character. Great gear, great game play and class traits that work for your style of play will always matter the most.

    What I can say about high level Captains is that they truly can do amazing things. I have a friend who has a level 65 Captain and his captain and my RK have done some spectacular things. When you consider that RKs are glass cannons (what a great term btw!) that deal out a lot of DPS he has done an incredible job holding agro and keeping us both alive. One particularly special moment was 2-manning Lhugrien (the dragon in Urugarth). It was intense, it was epic. He delivered the death blow with less than 200 morale left and I was down for the count. Most of all, it was a lot of fun.

    Anyway, I'm not sure this is at all helpful but I thought I would share my thoughts.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000016b296/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

    Arkenstone: Theudis, Hunter / Fingolma, Warden / Erintiel, LM / Leovigild, Captain / Phelonious Monk, Burglar / Tinfang Warble, Guardian.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    378

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    I have had no issues soloing and have enjoyed the captain more than any other class in the game that I have played. If you are having any issues with soloing and you play on Windfola I will be glad to help you out. I am sure you are playing well with the class but I will be happy to give you a hand with the class and duo with you on quests. Just look me up on the server if you play on there and hope you enjoy the captain as a great class to play!
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/Ellandor][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000000c4fc/01002/signature.png]Ellandor[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://dawningeclipse.shivtr.com]Dawning Eclipse[/url]
    “I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift.”

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,027

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by NazgulWannabe View Post
    Well, all right. I'm frankly kind of afraid to post build and all because I know very well I'll get a lot of "wuts rong with u STOOPID," because nerd chestthumping is what forums are for. :-) Also, it seems perfectly possible to me to give general advice on statting for soloing without having to know a particular character's build.

    You're doing it all rong !!!

    Anyway. I'm sure I'll regret this, but fine.

    You won't and i'm 100% positive

    I'm level 64, and god has it been painful.

    Ok at lv64, you should be in Mirkwood and unfortunately some area in mirkwood are pita (full of stuff).

    So it depends on some factors like how you pull the mobs, how many you pull and how fast you can down them. I alway try to stay in one area where no mobs will walk by or spawn very fast. I'd say that charging a mob is surely the worst idea there.


    I'm in mostly quest reward and reputation rewards stuff. I sprang for a crafted emblem and a crafted halberd, but I'm too poor to afford a full set of crafted (I don't have a mining character in the top metal tier).

    You mean crafted LI ? Well, in my opinion it doesn't worth it. Yes you will get more perk with a crafted 2nd ager, though the cost vs grind doesn't worth it unless you are raiding every night of the week and your guild ask you to be tweaked and anyway it will end by they will craft it for you.

    About crafted armor vs grinded armor, well, if you can put some time into the DG instances you will eventually get your 110 mark and get the full alternate set from vendor.


    I have also gotten varied opinions on what stats are important for Captains, for instance Might versus Agility, that I would appreciate getting straightened out.

    Both are important imo. Look at what give might and what gives agi, though both will affect your damage output and crit rating in ways.

    Depend on your play style here the stats i used to focus on when i was worrying more about tweaking my captain

    Might (though now i would go more for agi..)
    Vitality
    Fate
    Melee Crit
    ICPR
    Morale


    I've been advised to do crit banners instead of heralds, so I got a guildie to make crit banners. Frankly, so far I'm not really convinced that I'm any more survivable with the banners than with the heralds.Why, why are there no max level banners? Anyway. ATM I'm trying to slog it out with the banners because that's what everyone says to do, but I hate it. I hate not having access to the uh-oh buttons on the heralds. (And which banner for soloing anyway? War? Hope?)

    I never had problem to switch from one to the other, though i prefer the banner. the reason is behind the % bonus that are applied by the banner.

    More survivable ? Well i've seen lv65 captain with less then 3k morale buffed with motivating speech. So yes it will make you more survivable.

    Why no max level ? Same reason why Herald is 2 level lower.

    The frustation about the banner/Herald uh-ho part. This is plainly my opinion so take with as it is : I never understood the people playing pet classes. Seriously. I know the herald has some tools (can be an off-tank and has some master-heal) though it is a source of frustration (thanks to AI) that he will run into a wave of mobs and make your life an hell on earth, unless he's only passive and do nothing. I don't consider the herald "uh-ho" skill worth it, especially that you can get also a self-heal for standard user with SfW trait.


    I've had some people tell me to use a 1h-and-shield, some tell me to use a 2h. At the moment I'm doing a halberd just because I enjoy halberds, but I would value a reason-based commentary on which is best for soloing. So far, I can't say I've noticed a difference in survivability either way.

    Both worth it btw and it is a question of stats. SnB is more survivable as you will end-up with B/P/E and a better armor rating and 2h you will do more damage. Though remember to get ICPR on your shield as you may run out blue a lot faster.

    I've also tried traiting different ways: I tried mostly red, I tried mostly yellow, and then I sort of gave up because again, I wasn't noticing a big difference in how often I ended up dead, and decided to do what I darn well pleased. Which is currently 3 Hands of Healing (blue), 2 Lead the Charge (red) and 2 Leader of Men (yellow).

    The full hand of healing help a lot if you have the HoH legendary, though all the builds are ok imo..

    My virtues are probably not where they should be because I have very limited play time and refuse to spend it killing 500 grey-level leeches or whatever just to up a stupid virtue. (Another of my serious complaints about this game. :-) I've made a bit of an effort to get traits that guildies said were important, but not really gone all out yet, and honestly, I don't want to unless I know for sure that a given virtue will really, really help. If it really makes a difference, fine, I'll kill the 500 leeches, but convince me. :-) ATM my slotted traits in order from strongest to weakest are Idealism, Loyalty, Fidelity, Justice and Empathy.

    Valour is a good one too and your shuffle is ok too.

    With all the stuff they added it is kinda easy to max virtues. My concern is more about the one that you have to run old instance and kill tons of elite monster then the kill the grey slugs or the 75 shire quest (yes i swear to never do that again and i ran it 4 time...).

    Please don't bother telling me I don't know how to play. I'm a very old hand at MMOs, but without good solid information I'm finding it hard to figure out how to weight things in LOTRO. If anyone knows of a good website with current-best-practices advice for soloing (as opposed to raiding) builds/equipment, that would be wonderful too...so far I've looked for such a site in vain. So far all I have is a lot of conflicting advice from in-game chats.

    I've learned a lot from personal experience and testing, i asked a few questions here when i had some but that's about it. I always used lotro-wiki and lorebook first before asking the question.

    Thanks in advance.
    I hope it helped a lot.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    517

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    I'm really not trying to give insult here but; have you read the sticky?

    Elborigorn's post answers many of your questions regarding heralds/standard, trait lines, virtues etc.

    My advice to you; don't listen to anything you hear in glff or chat channels. Much of it is completely wrong. You need to find your own playstyle as a captain and everyone will play theirs different.

    As for virtues, now that you are lvl 65 you should be able to go back to some of the lower level areas and complete them very fast. One shotting goblins doesn't really take that long... Also, most of the loyalty/fidelity virtues are just exploration (and gives xp). They really do help.
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Devon, Alberta
    Posts
    158

    Red face Re: Soloing as Captain?

    I have a 63 Cappy and he's pretty good. I've moved away from him due to my love for my Warden, but the Cap definitely is slower to solo. I wouldn't say he's hard so much, but some people have mentioned before that in your 30's is really hard. Yes, 30's is BRUTALLY slow and painful. Pass that and 40's you get pretty good. Moria, I found to be a little difficult to take on multiple mobs (as most classes seemed to) and Mirkwood isn't too hard at all.

    I just found my love for my Captain waned when I met the Warden. Haha.

    Just keep at it. Don't worry too much about virtues. It's not as crucial as some people think it is. The Captain truly shines in groups, not soloing. That's where his amazingness is. I LOVE to group with my Cappy. But when you're soloing, just take it slow and enjoy what you're doing.

    My suggestion and advice is to simply take it very slow when you're in scary areas. Play it safe as best you can, and know when to run and use your speed move (that looks like a horn, since I can't remember the name of it for the life of me) to get away without much harm. Definitely not the most solo-friendly class there is, but they're fun to play!

    And I didn't read through to see what level you are, but I traited DPS all the way up until I got Hands of Healing, then it was pure blue. From there on in, I didn't die much at all.

    Hope that helps a little bit! Cap was a struggle for me, but worth it past certain areas.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a5dc0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  17. #17

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    I like soloing with my herald. For one...it's psychological. I got so used to the herald before banners that I just feel alone without one. It's also less annoying to keep replanting, and I just look at the herald as a DOT that can also give me a heal or a lucky knock-out. Sure the herald doesn't do much damage as a character, but as a DoT, it's pretty good.

    Feel free to switch between banners and heralds. Sometimes a herald that is 2 levels lower than you will be dangerous simply because the radius for them triggering mobs will make things painful. The banner reduces that factor for times when you need to squeak between mobs in dense areas.

    Which one to use...just go hope. Trait for improved hope--more morale is always good. Sure, for lower level stuff war or victory are useful, but for soloing micro-managing banners just isn't worth it.

    I rarely swap out traits...just too annoying to me. I'm in Hands of Healing 90% of the time, and it works fine for me. I have two in the line that allows me to swap out marks fast so I'm not waiting to remark on multiple-mob pulls.

    One tip, Noble Mark is a good pulling tool. If you need to pull just a few (or even a single) out of an area, the lack of damage on Noble will result in fewer mobs getting triggered. Just switch to another mark for the battle. Keep an eye on a pather, use Noble at just the right moment, and you can cut down a big group of mobs one or two at a time. I just mention it because I think lot of captains don't realize how precise a pull can become if they use Noble.
    [CENTER]

    [/CENTER]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Landroval
    Posts
    1,166

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    I like soloing with my herald. For one...it's psychological. I got so used to the herald before banners that I just feel alone without one. It's also less annoying to keep replanting, and I just look at the herald as a DOT that can also give me a heal or a lucky knock-out. Sure the herald doesn't do much damage as a character, but as a DoT, it's pretty good.
    I've never thought of the basic captain herald as a little DoT before. A DoT on legs. Heh. A traited archer is a much, much better DoT for solo, though. I agree on the psychological aspect; though I don't like pet classes per se, captains work best in groups, so having your herald out is like having your own micro-fellowship. At the very least, those Shield Brother skills don't go to complete waste while solo.

    One tip, Noble Mark is a good pulling tool. If you need to pull just a few (or even a single) out of an area, the lack of damage on Noble will result in fewer mobs getting triggered. Just switch to another mark for the battle. Keep an eye on a pather, use Noble at just the right moment, and you can cut down a big group of mobs one or two at a time. I just mention it because I think lot of captains don't realize how precise a pull can become if they use Noble.
    We have basically four pull types:
    • Battle Shout (range 20) level 1: This obviously has a very short pull range, which can be dangerous in tight/moving mob situations. It's your only ranged pull for the first 11 levels, though. Use wisely if you're dealing with a swarm of mobs and patrols.
    • Noble Mark (range 40) level 12: An excellent pull due to better range, but if you want to use any other mark while not traited for the mark CD, you'll have to wait 10 seconds to switch.
    • Threatening Shout (range 40) level 26: This is my favorite solo pull skill (since the threat aspect is moot), especially if I want to use either Telling or Revealing mark instead of Noble--and if you're not traited for mark CD, this is even better in that regard.
    • Archer herald (range...?) level 56: This is a very good ranged pull, and I think the range is more than 40m, but I don't know. The best part of using this solo is that you can split up a multimob pull and have your archer herald handle at least one mob by herself while you handle everything else (I pop the archer dodge skill for these situations). Oh, and your archer will be doing decent damage the entire time after the pull itself.



    P.S.: I didn't read the rest of the thread when I replied, but I disagree that soloing is horribly painful on the captain at all. By now, also, the 30s doldrums (whatever--I believe others have stated that the 30s doldrums apply to all classes) is mitigated a bit by skirmishes.
    Last edited by Trilwych; Jun 10 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Devon, Alberta
    Posts
    158

    Thumbs up Re: Soloing as Captain?

    By now, also, the 30s doldrums (whatever--I believe others have stated that the 30s doldrums apply to all classes) is mitigated a bit by skirmishes.
    Now *THAT* is a very good point!!

    One tip, Noble Mark is a good pulling tool. If you need to pull just a few (or even a single) out of an area, the lack of damage on Noble will result in fewer mobs getting triggered. Just switch to another mark for the battle. Keep an eye on a pather, use Noble at just the right moment, and you can cut down a big group of mobs one or two at a time. I just mention it because I think lot of captains don't realize how precise a pull can become if they use Noble.
    A very good tip I found. Yes, you have the 10s cooldown, but if you REALLY need to get that pull done from long distance, it doesn't make that much difference at all.

    Personally, I prefer to have 5 Blue and 2 Red. That's my favourite setup. Although lately I've been pure DPS. Spent some time using Oathbreaker and that was fun, but really not worth it I found... so I sold his sorry little butt. :-P

    Captains are all about YOUR style of play. Take advice here and there from other players and really figure out your style of playing the captain. :-) There's some really good advice on this thread so far!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a5dc0/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by NazgulWannabe View Post
    Well, all right. I'm frankly kind of afraid to post build and all because I know very well I'll get a lot of "wuts rong with u STOOPID," because nerd chestthumping is what forums are for. :-) Also, it seems perfectly possible to me to give general advice on statting for soloing without having to know a particular character's build.
    I don't know how much you have been lurking in this forum. But seriously, that doesn't happen much around here. We have our disagreements, but I rarely see people get overly personal in the Captain forums.


    I'm in mostly quest reward and reputation rewards stuff. I sprang for a crafted emblem and a crafted halberd, but I'm too poor to afford a full set of crafted (I don't have a mining character in the top metal tier). I have also gotten varied opinions on what stats are important for Captains, for instance Might versus Agility, that I would appreciate getting straightened out.

    I've been advised to do crit banners instead of heralds, so I got a guildie to make crit banners. Frankly, so far I'm not really convinced that I'm any more survivable with the banners than with the heralds. Why, why are there no max level banners? Anyway. ATM I'm trying to slog it out with the banners because that's what everyone says to do, but I hate it. I hate not having access to the uh-oh buttons on the heralds. (And which banner for soloing anyway? War? Hope?)

    I've had some people tell me to use a 1h-and-shield, some tell me to use a 2h. At the moment I'm doing a halberd just because I enjoy halberds, but I would value a reason-based commentary on which is best for soloing. So far, I can't say I've noticed a difference in survivability either way.

    I've also tried traiting different ways: I tried mostly red, I tried mostly yellow, and then I sort of gave up because again, I wasn't noticing a big difference in how often I ended up dead, and decided to do what I darn well pleased. Which is currently 3 Hands of Healing (blue), 2 Lead the Charge (red) and 2 Leader of Men (yellow).
    There is a saying generally attributed to Winston Churchill, "If two people agree on everything, one of them is redundant."

    If you hate the banners, don't use them. It sounds to me like you like to use the heralds, and the Herald of Hope is the only herald to use.

    Try this. Slot up from the red line Renewed Voice, Expert Attacks, and Turn of the Tide, from the Blue Line slot Now for Wrath and Improved Banner of Hope. Utilize the herald as an off-tank, not as a dot. From the yellow line Grab Loyalty and Precise Ally. If you want a touch more durability, slot up Defiance instead of Precise Ally. Also, since you have 2 yellows, use revealing mark on every mob to return 15% of your damage output as healing.


    Crafted gear is not where it's at. Run Moria instances for the bartered armor set and you will do fine. As for stats, they are all important in my opinion. I run a balanced build and I like it. Feel free to check out my captain. Might increases melee damage and lets you resist incoming common damage better. Agility is good for damage avoidance and getting more critical hits (very important). Vitality is good for the morale pool. Will is good for the power pool and to make your heals more effective. Fate makes your heals crit more often and increases your in-combat-power-regen (although a pair of bracelets with ICPR is more effective for this).

    After that, there are some must have traits you need on your Emblem and Weapons. Your emblem MUST have Rallying Cry Cooldown. It takes a 45 second cooldown to 15 seconds. Your weapon has to have +Pressing Attack Targets, but you should only rank it up by +2 or +3 targets. Then , get a secondary weapon, doesn't matter what it is, with the Tactics: Relentless Attack and Morale from Motivating Speech (that will increase your moral pool by an extra 5%).

    I generally run with a Halberd for solo play. Going to a one-hander will reduce your DPS by about 25%, but it will not improve your damage resistance by much. There are time when I go sword-n-board, but not for solo work.

    Since you brought it up, are you a crafter and what craft is it? I would recommend Scholar. That will provide you with moral and power potions, it is an end game money maker, and it is relatively easy to level up. In fact, you can level it for free by harvesting vases, making crafting lore, and selling it to the vendors. It takes longer than if you buy dye materials off the AH, but you said you were broke.


    My virtues are probably not where they should be because I have very limited play time and refuse to spend it killing 500 grey-level leeches or whatever just to up a stupid virtue. (Another of my serious complaints about this game. :-) I've made a bit of an effort to get traits that guildies said were important, but not really gone all out yet, and honestly, I don't want to unless I know for sure that a given virtue will really, really help. If it really makes a difference, fine, I'll kill the 500 leeches, but convince me. :-) ATM my slotted traits in order from strongest to weakest are Idealism, Loyalty, Fidelity, Justice and Empathy.
    Here's the wiki page on virtues. The most important one is Innocence for the reduced incoming melee damage. I stack for it, and with a scroll of warding up, I reducing incoming melee damage by 15%.

    Please don't bother telling me I don't know how to play. I'm a very old hand at MMOs, but without good solid information I'm finding it hard to figure out how to weight things in LOTRO. If anyone knows of a good website with current-best-practices advice for soloing (as opposed to raiding) builds/equipment, that would be wonderful too...so far I've looked for such a site in vain. So far all I have is a lot of conflicting advice from in-game chats.

    Thanks in advance.
    In-game chat is roughly worth it's weight in electrons. You will get much more thoughtful advice on forums. It would also help if you would post your character's name so we can check it out on my.lotro.com. We promise not to make fun I'd be happy to chat or group with you if you are on Brandywine.

    Lastly, a captain might not be the class for you. If you really hate it, why not change?
    Last edited by SGWB; Jun 10 2010 at 05:47 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    ...
    One tip, Noble Mark is a good pulling tool. If you need to pull just a few (or even a single) out of an area, the lack of damage on Noble will result in fewer mobs getting triggered. Just switch to another mark for the battle. Keep an eye on a pather, use Noble at just the right moment, and you can cut down a big group of mobs one or two at a time. I just mention it because I think lot of captains don't realize how precise a pull can become if they use Noble.
    I agree that Noble Mark is a good pulling tool because it has a 40 meter range and a fast animation. I don't believe it has anything to do with doing or not doing damage. I have experimented with pulling using Noble Mark, Threatening Shout, Battle Shout, and thrown axes, and the best I can tell is that whether or not adds are aggroed is based entirely on an aggro radius inherent to the nearby mobs. Where the problem lies is that many players like to pull with ranged AoE attacks. I also find that Threatening Shout is a better pulling skill because it is instantaneous and has the same range.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,499

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by SGWB View Post
    I

    If you hate the banners, don't use them. It sounds to me like you like to use the heralds, and the Herald of Hope is the only herald to use.
    I agreed with everything except this ^.

    I tried all three heralds out at multiple levels and mutliple scenarios, paying attention to how many mobs i can handle, how quickly they go down, morale, how many times i used long-cooldown skills etc.

    I found that the increase in DPS and ability to crit from Herald of War always seemed more advantageous than the extra morale. But I haven't played a cappy nearly as long, so I'm very interested in how you've come to the conclusion that herald of hope is the best? Sincerely want to know which is better for solo, i know hope is better for group.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    Jaylaxel - 83 LM | Moiron - 85 Champ | [COLOR=Red]Aedush[/COLOR] - R4 Stalker
    [/CENTER]

  23. #23

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    I agreed with everything except this ^.

    I tried all three heralds out at multiple levels and mutliple scenarios, paying attention to how many mobs i can handle, how quickly they go down, morale, how many times i used long-cooldown skills etc.

    I found that the increase in DPS and ability to crit from Herald of War always seemed more advantageous than the extra morale. But I haven't played a cappy nearly as long, so I'm very interested in how you've come to the conclusion that herald of hope is the best? Sincerely want to know which is better for solo, i know hope is better for group.
    well the amount of crit you get from the +50 agility is negligible, so you're not going to notice the higher amount of crits. you probably just got lucky

    same with the increase in DPS from might. it's such a tiny percentage increase of an already small number.

    I'd rather use victory and have less downtime in between mobs, if I were using a herald. Otherwise, use the war banner.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    I agreed with everything except this ^.

    I tried all three heralds out at multiple levels and mutliple scenarios, paying attention to how many mobs i can handle, how quickly they go down, morale, how many times i used long-cooldown skills etc.

    I found that the increase in DPS and ability to crit from Herald of War always seemed more advantageous than the extra morale. But I haven't played a cappy nearly as long, so I'm very interested in how you've come to the conclusion that herald of hope is the best? Sincerely want to know which is better for solo, i know hope is better for group.
    Why hope? The heralds have junk for DPS. If you are using a pet for DPS, use the Archer. If you're going to use a herald, use it as an off tank. With the improved hope banner trait, the herald of hope will have about 800 extra morale and improved morale regen, making it the best off-tank. Otherwise you might as well equip for a banner for all the good the herald is doing you. I have not now regularly used a herald since SoA. But using this strategy, I used to farm the vases in Gabilizan and regularly hold off 4 to 5 dwarves simultaneously. They were light blue to blue at that level.



    To be honest, though, for durability I have found that a full HoH build using a Banner of Hope is as good as it gets.


    Edit******

    I have been thinking about this and I took a look at your build on my.lotro.com. I concede that the Herald of War could be advantageous for a low might/Agility captain. I have always built for high melee crit rates, so I never found that the stat bonus from the banner of war have not helped me much. I rescind my assertion that "the Herald of Hope is the only herald to use."
    Last edited by SGWB; Jun 10 2010 at 08:13 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Soloing as Captain?

    Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    ....

    I'd rather use victory and have less downtime in between mobs, if I were using a herald. Otherwise, use the war banner.
    That is a good point, and I suppose it depends on your build. I just find that with Now for Wrath slotted and In Combat Power Regen of around 1.1K, down time doesn't happen very often for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload