We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Defiler vs ?

Defiler vs ?

So from what I've seen so far it seems like Defilers are pretty much top of the food chain for spars and 1v1's because of their high mitigations and morale on top of their ability to self heal.

Is there any class that a high ranked defiler has a disadvantage against?
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger!"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002bd8c/01008/signature.png]Tinechor[/charsig]
    Ashnazgdurbatuluk - Rk5 Warleader

Re: Defiler vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bedelian View Post
    So from what I've seen so far it seems like Defilers are pretty much top of the food chain for spars and 1v1's because of their high mitigations and morale on top of their ability to self heal.

Is there any class that a high ranked defiler has a disadvantage against?
    Defilers are insane to kill 1v1 but, I wouldn't say top of the food chain. Unless it's a fight club, defilers take ages to kill anyone through slowly dwindling them down. In that time whatever they're fighting can either call in reinforcements or vice versa... hence not making it a 1v1 anymore.

Part of what makes a strong 1v1 class is one that can kill quickly before interuptions. So, I'd give the 'top of the food chain" for 1v1 honors to wargs and reavers.

Spiders can beat defilers!!! And everything else!!!!!!

A skilled RK with fear pots should be able to best a defiler if EC crits.

yeah I meant more along the lines of an arranged 1v1
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger!"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002bd8c/01008/signature.png]Tinechor[/charsig]

Still not sure if you're asking whether defilers are weak against any specific freep classes or whether there are creep classes that are stronger than defilers in 1v1 situations. I've yet to win against a RK in a 1v1. I've won 1v1s against every other freep class (at least I think I won a 1v1 against a warden... once... lol). Hunters are like soft and gooey candy.

With RKs the fast tempo of the skills prevents me from using skills that have long inductions, which leaves out 3 of my 5 dps skills and 3 of my 5 healing skills. I'm left with two smaller hots and 2 melee skills, but it's hard to get the melee skills off due to the rk slows. I'm pretty sure any other class would do better against RKs.
    Ijustpassedgas Excuseme
    Yeasty Infection

As a predominantly 1v1 (or often 2v1 these days because no-one will fight me solo), defiler, I can confirm that there is no freep class which has an advantage over R6+ defilers in 1v1's. Maybe Guards and Wardens are close, and indeed before R6 I would fully expect the Guard or Warden to win if they are any good, however, Blood of Fire, and the associated "free dps" that it affords, helps greatly in burning down the high morale of Guards/Wardens.

Defilers become competitive against most classes at R5 though. As long as you have all your skills/passives/corruptions, once you get your second heal on the move, it simply becomes a case of power management.

These days, other than the very best Guards on my server, I have to severely gimp myself in order to make a 1v1 competitive. Be that by at least personally agreeing with myself to not use power pots, or not use fears, or not use my big heal, or to turn of Blood of Fire, or something like that. Honestly, other than Guards and maybe a shield traited Warden who wants to make it an endurance fight, no class can come even close to making me think I might lose unless I purposefully give them an opportunity.

HOWEVER. Spiders will ALWAYS beat defilers in spars. Their uncurable, essentially unavoidable power drain basically neuters us. Even if you agree with the spider for him to not use his power drain, the sheer number and quality of debuffs they can put on you means that you will effectively be your own power drain as most of the offensive skills you use will be wasted (b/e/p/m).

The slow nature of defiler DPS means that defiler vs. warleader will almost ALWAYS end up as a draw unless both sides agree not to heal, then I'd go for heal traited defiler to win.

I regularly beat some of the best Wargs and Reavers in spars and have even beaten some lower ranked ones without healing AT ALL.

Essentially though, as far as freepside is concerned, a well played and smart defiler will always beat any freep in a 1v1 apart from the best Guards or a turtling Warden. Does this make them the "kings" though? I personally don't think so. Defilers in spars are all about outlasting the opponent rather than a mighty show of force and skill. It is the perogative of the opponent to beat you, and if they can't, they will eventually lose. That doesn't seem very worthy of the accolade "kings of 1v1's" but it IS effective.
    Wulfhram (Hunter), Boborrin (Champ), Garrth (Captain) assorted others

Yeah I found that the hardest for a Defiler in a 1v1 is Weavers, Wardens RKs and Minnies.

but it does take forever to kill anything and the Defiler hasta pace a bit, cuz 1 of the instant HoTs is a power hog.

ah so weaver is the answer I was looking for.

Weavers have also seemed pretty beast in 1v1's is there a class (freep or creep in an arranged 1v1 or spar) that they have a disadvantage against?

Alas the days of lore-master hegemony are long gone. I remember book 6 of MoM where no class could touch them. It was just mez, stun, lightning, a couple of more hits and they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    Still not sure if you're asking whether defilers are weak against any specific freep classes or whether there are creep classes that are stronger than defilers in 1v1 situations. I've yet to win against a RK in a 1v1. I've won 1v1s against every other freep class (at least I think I won a 1v1 against a warden... once... lol). Hunters are like soft and gooey candy.

With RKs the fast tempo of the skills prevents me from using skills that have long inductions, which leaves out 3 of my 5 dps skills and 3 of my 5 healing skills. I'm left with two smaller hots and 2 melee skills, but it's hard to get the melee skills off due to the rk slows. I'm pretty sure any other class would do better against RKs.
    I've never lost to a RK in a 1v1. They are essentially extremely squishy and the secret is to keep your health high enough so that IF they get lucky with a big EC crit or something like that, you can keep ticking.

Most RK's I can just melt with melee kiting and HoT'ing on the run, fear/big heal if they get any big crits. The best RK's, with the best gear though, require more precision and purpose. Start every fight with a full complement of HoT's on. Get to melee whilst the rk is zapping you, trust the HoT's that you have on, don't waste power on refreshing them if you don't have to. Fear. Before you do anything, fear. Don't hit him. Now get some range, load on your -vit curse and plague of flies (don't do damage so shouldn't break fear), fire gourd him/her up. Back to melee, whack him a couple of times, (I sometimes refrain from using Tenderise at all vs. some classes because the random chance to stun really messes up my timing with regards to diminshing returns), refresh your HoT's, you should be still more-or-less full whilst the RK is at ~2k. Don't be afraid to stand still and try to get off fire gourd. The pay-off of the DoT when the RK is at low health is worth the induction set back and time it takes to load the skill. If you get it on, you know the RK is going to get slowly drained down so you can spend the remainder of the fight melee kiting and HoT'ing to protect yourself from the big crits.

The stars would have to allign for an RK to beat me in a 1v1. I suppose it's technically possible if they crit with 75+% of their skills, including the big ones, but it hasn't happened yet thankfully. A fire specced RK might have a better chance at burning me down (excuse the pun), however, by the time it takes for them to build up their DoTs to the level that it might overpower my HoTs, they'd be dead...

Good luck in the future with RK's. Hope some of this helped a bit.

ah so weaver is the answer I was looking for.

Weavers have also seemed pretty beast in 1v1's is there a class (freep or creep in an arranged 1v1 or spar) that they have a disadvantage against?

Alas the days of lore-master hegemony are long gone. I remember book 6 of MoM where no class could touch them. It was just mez, stun, lightning, a couple of more hits and they are done.
    Good Guards will almost always beat Weavers if they use their emergencies and resets. Shield-specced Wardens should always win too since they can outlast the Weaver, especially if they use hatchlings (aoe drains), UNLESS, the Weaver uses the debuff that reduces all skill range by 10m (can't remember its name, sorry). I'm sure it's a bug at the moment but that effect Warden's Taunt (the yellow gambit builder) and reduces it's range to 0m and effectively neuters the Warden for the most part. Expect this to change though.

A lucky RK should win, a skillful hunter will give the spider a run for his money and a guardian that blows most CD's should win if he resists a few skills. Spider 1v1's a quite heavily based on resists against certain classes ie. toxin initial, latent hatchlings, especially vs RK's.

Ranked spiders should mop up: wardens, champions, captains, burglars.

The fight could go either way against the following depending on crits: Well built DPS minstrels, Rk's, lm's, hunters.

The fight could be iffy depending on resists against: Guardians, rk's, hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by pibob314 View Post
    Good Guards will almost always beat Weavers if they use their emergencies and resets. Shield-specced Wardens should always win too since they can outlast the Weaver, especially if they use hatchlings (aoe drains), UNLESS, the Weaver uses the debuff that reduces all skill range by 10m (can't remember its name, sorry). I'm sure it's a bug at the moment but that effect Warden's Taunt (the yellow gambit builder) and reduces it's range to 0m and effectively neuters the Warden for the most part. Expect this to change though.
    I disagree. Weavers should easily out-kite guards while power-draining them. Dismiss hatchlings so the guardian cannot Thrill of Danger on them.

Same against wardens, have the hatchlings up for duration of latent+cj then dismiss. VH mid-way through the fight, Toxin should remove the wardens power in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherGab View Post
    I disagree. Weavers should easily out-kite guards while power-draining them. Dismiss hatchlings so the guardian cannot Thrill of Danger on them.

Same against wardens, have the hatchlings up for duration of latent+cj then dismiss. VH mid-way through the fight, Toxin should remove the wardens power in no time.
    Whilst I agree that this is the the case in most cases, I was referring to the very best Guards and Wardens. An awesome Guard will have postional stagger on you early and sprint over WtE to maintain high DPS and mitigate kiting. Yes, it's technically possible to avoid this scenario, but it too requires great skill on the part of the Weaver and a smidge of luck. Like I said, if the Guard is prepared to use their emergencies and gets lucky with things like TTK crits, they hit plenty hard enough to melt the Weaver and stay alive.

For Wardens I admit it's easier for the Weaver, however, with decent legacies/traits, they can keep you perma-slowed and kiting becomes slightly more tricky. If they get the initial ambush and load up DoT's they are certainly in a good position. Having no counter to CC is certainly a disadvantage though. Desolation is also a very powerful Gambit. Good Wardens can also build up HoT's from range using masteries. Admittely, VH is effectively an "I win" button vs Wardens, BUT, if for example it is resisted, and the Warden is highly skilled (can morale surf and spam DBtD), the fight could become an endurance battle which Weavers usually lose.

Whilst I agree that this is the the case in most cases, I was referring to the very best Guards and Wardens. An awesome Guard will have postional stagger on you early and sprint over WtE to maintain high DPS and mitigate kiting. Yes, it's technically possible to avoid this scenario, but it too requires great skill on the part of the Weaver and a smidge of luck. Like I said, if the Guard is prepared to use their emergencies and gets lucky with things like TTK crits, they hit plenty hard enough to melt the Weaver and stay alive.
    Burrow or use the latent stun to surpass the sprint....rewebs when needed... I've taken on the best guardians and wardens Brandywine has to offer and have come out on top.

For Wardens I admit it's easier for the Weaver, however, with decent legacies/traits, they can keep you perma-slowed and kiting becomes slightly more tricky. If they get the initial ambush and load up DoT's they are certainly in a good position. Having no counter to CC is certainly a disadvantage though. Desolation is also a very powerful Gambit. Good Wardens can also build up HoT's from range using masteries. Admittely, VH is effectively an "I win" button vs Wardens, BUT, if for example it is resisted, and the Warden is highly skilled (can morale surf and spam DBtD), the fight could become an endurance battle which Weavers usually lose.
    If they can ambush why can't I burrow? Generally if the wardens begins ambushing its the start of the fight so I can mez

I don't rely on VH vs wardens, I rely on kiting and toxin.

wargs can beat defilers pretty easily too...dont know if that counts though

Quote Originally Posted by lotrsam View Post
    lol so says cramer

I rarely ever lose to shield traited wardens. It is easy to power drain them/kite them. I don't use Venemous haze on them either. And with hatchlings, you just watch the warden hitting em then after a few sec just dismiss so they have an aoe heal gambit useable on 1 target lol. Same goes for champs and capt who try to get a defeat response
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042070100000b2053/signature.png]Avaricious[/charsig]

Burrow or use the latent stun to surpass the sprint....rewebs when needed... I've taken on the best guardians and wardens Brandywine has to offer and have come out on top.

If they can ambush why can't I burrow? Generally if the wardens begins ambushing its the start of the fight so I can mez

I don't rely on VH vs wardens, I rely on kiting and toxin.
    I never said you can't burrow. It's great that you beat good Guards and Warden regularly, but I'm afraid I can't go along with the impression you are giving that it is trivial to do so. We could go around in circles giving scenario and counter scenario, but it ultimately won't achieve anything. For example if an elf or hobbit warden uses racial stealth to initiate an ambush, (no inductions), get's on top of you and spams desolation, then they certainly have a chance, regardless of your kiting, burrowing or toxin, as long as they are highly skilled. Likewise I've literally been stun locked by Guards before. Clearly they were very lucky to do so because their stuns/cj's are not guaranteed to proc, but it can and does happen. Weavers are squishy and Guards hit hard, being stun locked for 10s is pretty much game over considering Guards lasting power if they use their emergencies, regardless of how effectively you kite.

I think we should agree to disagree on this one since this ultimately isn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lotrsam View Post
    I wouldn't say easily unless the defiler's you have fought are simply not very good...

Quote Originally Posted by WKking View Post
    I rarely ever lose to shield traited wardens. It is easy to power drain them/kite them. I don't use Venemous haze on them either. And with hatchlings, you just watch the warden hitting em then after a few sec just dismiss so they have an aoe heal gambit useable on 1 target lol. Same goes for champs and capt who try to get a defeat response
    Perhaps saying "always" was a touch exaggerated. Regardless, good wardens, who understand the Weaver class and what they can do to them (and what they need to do to mitigate that), can certainly put up a strong challenge.

As a predominantly 1v1 (or often 2v1 these days because no-one will fight me solo), defiler, I can confirm that there is no freep class which has an advantage over R6+ defilers in 1v1's. Maybe Guards and Wardens are close, and indeed before R6 I would fully expect the Guard or Warden to win if they are any good, however, Blood of Fire, and the associated "free dps" that it affords, helps greatly in burning down the high morale of Guards/Wardens.

Defilers become competitive against most classes at R5 though. As long as you have all your skills/passives/corruptions, once you get your second heal on the move, it simply becomes a case of power management.

These days, other than the very best Guards on my server, I have to severely gimp myself in order to make a 1v1 competitive. Be that by at least personally agreeing with myself to not use power pots, or not use fears, or not use my big heal, or to turn of Blood of Fire, or something like that. Honestly, other than Guards and maybe a shield traited Warden who wants to make it an endurance fight, no class can come even close to making me think I might lose unless I purposefully give them an opportunity.

HOWEVER. Spiders will ALWAYS beat defilers in spars. Their uncurable, essentially unavoidable power drain basically neuters us. Even if you agree with the spider for him to not use his power drain, the sheer number and quality of debuffs they can put on you means that you will effectively be your own power drain as most of the offensive skills you use will be wasted (b/e/p/m).

The slow nature of defiler DPS means that defiler vs. warleader will almost ALWAYS end up as a draw unless both sides agree not to heal, then I'd go for heal traited defiler to win.

I regularly beat some of the best Wargs and Reavers in spars and have even beaten some lower ranked ones without healing AT ALL.

Essentially though, as far as freepside is concerned, a well played and smart defiler will always beat any freep in a 1v1 apart from the best Guards or a turtling Warden. Does this make them the "kings" though? I personally don't think so. Defilers in spars are all about outlasting the opponent rather than a mighty show of force and skill. It is the perogative of the opponent to beat you, and if they can't, they will eventually lose. That doesn't seem very worthy of the accolade "kings of 1v1's" but it IS effective.

You do realize that no one on the server fights you because the fights take far too long, they are boring, too many interruptions from both sides, and you can never tell when some arrogant ***** will decide that he is bored with watching and kill one of us.

I could beat you, but I won't. Its a waste of my time. I can heal myself, you can heal yourself, I can stack DoTS and ramp up Damage, you can fear and kite me through that fear. My point being, fighting other classes is far more profitable and exciting than fighting a defiler 1v1. In the time it takes me to kill you 1v1 I could kill any other class 2 or 3 times, thus netting me far more renown, and probably a better challenge. There is no skill involved in either of us standing there and stacking HoTs. People say that Shield Traited Wardens are cheap ezmoders because we can infinitely stack heals and restore power, I would say defilers do this just as well.

Wrong. A defiler that effectively uses fears, power pots and COMPLETELY HoT's himself up before the fight will draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Murtanion View Post
    You do realize that no one on the server fights you because the fights take far too long, they are boring, too many interruptions from both sides, and you can never tell when some arrogant ***** will decide that he is bored with watching and kill one of us.

I could beat you, but I won't. Its a waste of my time. I can heal myself, you can heal yourself, I can stack DoTS and ramp up Damage, you can fear and kite me through that fear. My point being, fighting other classes is far more profitable and exciting than fighting a defiler 1v1. In the time it takes me to kill you 1v1 I could kill any other class 2 or 3 times, thus netting me far more renown, and probably a better challenge. There is no skill involved in either of us standing there and stacking HoTs. People say that Shield Traited Wardens are cheap ezmoders because we can infinitely stack heals and restore power, I would say defilers do this just as well.
    Plenty of people fight me actually, mostly Wardens and Guards, and fights don't take as long as you think. You've never manned up enough to fight me so how do you know anything about it anyway? Have you ever even seen me fighting anyone 1v1? The scenario you are talking about is true pre-rank 6. I've fought plenty of sheild-traited wardens pre-rank 6 and just as you say, the fights take forever and become an endurance battle. For some people that is fun though. We're not all out there to net as much renown/infamy as possible. I always took you for someone who enjoyed a good fight rather than someone only out there looking to gain renown, maybe I was wrong.

Bottom line is don't comment on something you have no experience about whatsoever because you're too chicken to fight me. Last Thunderdome the fights I had with Wardens were over so quick that I didn't even use a single power pot. Even against Turwe when he uses emergencies I might use ONE power pot. You have no idea about how defiler fights are (not your fault though, most defilers on Meneldor are too chicken to fight anyway or don't know how) so quit talking big unless you're actually willing to fight.

Wrong. A defiler that effectively uses fears, power pots and COMPLETELY HoT's himself up before the fight will draw.
    IF, the Weaver agrees to not use their power drain, then maybe. Otherwise its duration, cooldown and potency render even power pots useless given the power pools that most defilers run with. If we are talking about the use of pots in a spar (which I find a pointless waste), then the Weaver can just as easily pot out of a fear and apply enough CC to burn a defiler down (given that a defiler would typically use their fear at low health to use their big heal).

Like I said before, this argument and counter argument is getting us nowhere. I feel as though you are just arguing for the sake of it and it's becoming tiresome. You can disagree with the details of what I have said all you like, it doesn't make any difference to the overall picture.

Plenty of people fight me actually, mostly Wardens and Guards, and fights don't take as long as you think. You've never manned up enough to fight me so how do you know anything about it anyway? Have you ever even seen me fighting anyone 1v1? The scenario you are talking about is true pre-rank 6. I've fought plenty of sheild-traited wardens pre-rank 6 and just as you say, the fights take forever and become an endurance battle. For some people that is fun though. We're not all out there to net as much renown/infamy as possible. I always took you for someone who enjoyed a good fight rather than someone only out there looking to gain renown, maybe I was wrong.

Bottom line is don't comment on something you have no experience about whatsoever because you're too chicken to fight me. Last Thunderdome the fights I had with Wardens were over so quick that I didn't even use a single power pot. Even against Turwe when he uses emergencies I might use ONE power pot. You have no idea about how defiler fights are (not your fault though, most defilers on Meneldor are too chicken to fight anyway or don't know how) so quit talking big unless you're actually willing to fight.
    Sigh, blind assumptions by those who don't look around. I have watched you fight turwe, I have fought other defilers on this server, as well as other servers. I took my Guard out on Silverlode and fought quite a few 1v1s, some with defilers. Saying I don't know how Defiler fights go is like me saying you don't know how to play a champ even though I have blatantly seen you sitting outside DN with KoD.

As for thunderdome, every single warden there but myself was traited spear for DPS. I even switched to spear traiting once we moved outside HH, which funny enough, you weren't even there. Don't pull that stuff with me, its ignorant. I have no problem with 1v1'ing you, just leave the attitude, ignorance, and backup at home.

I am not saying I know everything about defilers, but then again I don't particularly want to. Defilers are not a DPS class, they are an endurance, healing, and support class, the biggest damage I have had done to me is the vitality debuff which I can interrupt easily and then the reflect damage from blood of fire, which is rather annoying. Granted if I needed to I could heal up, but when I fight WL's or defilers I let them get me to half health, I work better at that mark. From my experience the biggest thing for me to overcome is the annoying fear and the delving pots are a PITA to get. The Last time I fought Witchdoctor I ambushes, crit strike, WT, and stacked all my dots + desolation. Over 2k Initial Damage + DoTS ticking. Funny thing I find is that defilers try to gain distance, start the induction heal, and then allow me to close in and interrupt it.

Can you trait to make the induction lower?
    Last edited by Murtanion; May 18 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast