We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Is it true ? Stars = skill ?

Quote Originally Posted by olagaton View Post
    Better yet:

Stars = more efficient killer.
    Efficient with regards to not dying, yes.

Efficient with regards to time, no. It's very possible to kill more people in a given time and still not gain as much rating as someone who only kills a few people but gains more rating.

Efficient with regards to the tactics of a group/army, no. There are many cases where during a keep take I've suicided down the stairs while freeps are coming up. Enough will turn to chase me that the rest of my group can capture the flag relatively unopposed.
    If you do not even try to communicate using clear and concise English, I will ignore you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000007db5e/signature.png]Akulz[/charsig]

Stars = skill kind of depends on your playstyle and to a certain degree your class I think (some classes just seems to have more stars than others).

Personally, I like to think of my lack of stars as an indicator of skill. I mainly heal out in the Moors and am therefore one of the first (if not the first) FF target. If I didn't heal well, the creeps wouldn't see a need to take me out so fast (one well known warg even jokes that he will stop killing me when I stop healing). I also know that the creeps often put a big red skull target mark on me (or so I've been told).

Then again, I also die a lot when solo because frankly, my ability to be a DPS killer is pretty average to poor at best. I also am not really all that quick on the dancing/jumping around while fighting thing (too used to being "rooted" to heal I guess). And I sometimes do crazy things like attack creep raids inside TA.

I guess it all evens out in the wash to make me an average player with little to no stars most times

Quote Originally Posted by jennirich View Post
    By all means, do so. I did it with a minstrel, I can do it on a burg. Either way, you still can't catch me.
    I might need to pick your brain... it would be nice to have at least a couple of stars (my guess is rule #1 will be "Don't run into TA solo and attack the creep raid." )
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!

Quote Originally Posted by pibob314 View Post
    I didn't realise this game was entirely open PvP and creeps were able to travel beyond the moors and curtail the attempts of freeps to progress and advance their characters. Maybe there is a special server that I don't know about where creeps can stop freeps from levelling their toons, or grinding deeds, or obtaining armour, or stopping them from crafting or generally doing anything to stop freeps from developing their characters.

Oh wait, my mistake, creeps can't do that all.
    Lay off the sauce, imo. Where did any of this come from?

So what is all this business about stopping the creeps from experiencing any form of character progression?
    This makes me question how long you have played the game.

Actively, and philosophically, setting out to deny other HUMAN BEINGS (forget about freep or creep), the opportunity to enjoy something they pay for is really rather low.
    In the sense of strategy, which can be used in real events or in gaming, suppressing your competitions strengths is a smart move, and thought of rather highly.

So your opponents in a game advance and get better. So what? All that means is that you will have to improve and get better yourself. Be that through grinding better gear (which incidentally creeps can do nothing to prevent), or simply becoming more skilled and experienced with reacting to different situations (which creeps can HELP you with). If you want the game to remain easy and all of your opponents to remain at the same difficulty level for all eternity, then I humbly suggest that MMO's are not for you.
    Letting ones opponent get stronger wouldn't be a problem if they weren't already strong enough. There is a major impact in letting an already powerful opponent become even more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by CarltheRed View Post
    "the opportunity to enjoy something they pay for" - olagaton

No one has a right to pleasure. You can buy an account for the game; whether you enjoy the game is largely incidental because you pay for access either-way until you decide otherwise.

No player is obliged to maximise other player's pleasure. Even kin officers and leaders, only to ensure an fair environment of social inclusion.
    I don't recall ever saying that, but I would be interested in seeing what the context of that statement was. I do recall seeing pibob say that, or something very similar, above. Maybe you mistook us for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by someenigma View Post
    Efficient with regards to not dying, yes.

Efficient with regards to time, no. It's very possible to kill more people in a given time and still not gain as much rating as someone who only kills a few people but gains more rating.
    Actually, I know players that maintain the same kill production, and retain their rating that is equal to those that don't retain rating. So it is very possible to get kills, not die, be the top rank on the server, produce the same results as players that do die.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="Yellow"]I guarantee your level 65 r0 greenie BA will contribute more to your Creep raid than my level 2 Minstrel will contribute to my Freep raid. After all, both took about 5 seconds to create.[/COLOR][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000085aec/signature.png]Chea[/charsig]

Lay off the sauce, imo. Where did any of this come from?
    I was applying your logic to the opposite scenario. Someone needs to learn to read I think

This makes me question how long you have played the game.
    Question all you like. That's your perogative. It's not something to brag about but I can almost guarantee my /played time is greater than yours. You don't have to believe me or accept that though, go on thinking whatever you like.

In the sense of strategy, which can be used in real events or in gaming, suppressing your competitions strengths is a smart move, and thought of rather highly.
    Maybe in a FPS or a simple offline game, but in a social GAME (note that at the end of it all, stars or not, you gain absolutely nothing), I don't think it is thought highly of at all. It simply highlights certain undersirable character traits and insecurities.

Letting ones opponent get stronger wouldn't be a problem if they weren't already strong enough. There is a major impact in letting an already powerful opponent become even more powerful.
    This makes me question your knowledge of the game. After about Rank 6, which can be achieved rather quickly and easily by most classes, regardless of whether certain individuals or the masses decide to starve creeps of infamy, there are probably 2 game-changing abilities that can be obtained at higher rank which it could be argued tip the balance of power. Other than that, any progression or "gain in strength" is rather miniscule and I think that your posts on this matter are both exaggerated and misleading. I'm not saying that the abilities and racial traits that creeps gain at higher ranks do not afford them improvement, but simply that the amount of improvement is marginal in almost all cases.

I don't recall ever saying that, but I would be interested in seeing what the context of that statement was. I do recall seeing pibob say that, or something very similar, above. Maybe you mistook us for each other.
    SS or it didn't happen. Doesn't sound like something I'd say so I'd like to see your proof.

Actually, I know players that maintain the same kill production, and retain their rating that is equal to those that don't retain rating. So it is very possible to get kills, not die, be the top rank on the server, produce the same results as players that do die.
    Name some so we can follow their production rates and "efficiency" on the leaderboards. 99% of the highest renown/infamy gainers, according to the publicly available statistics, have generally low ratings or ratings that fluctuate regularly. If you'd like to contribute by telling us who we should be looking out for on the leaderboards to see just how "productive" they are compared to the people who are supposedly sabotaging the game for you, that would be very helpful in allowing us to substantiate your claims. Otherwise it is just mindless fluff and unworthy of attention.
    Wulfhram (Hunter), Boborrin (Champ), Garrth (Captain) assorted others

Most of the more powerful creep skills are obtained at lower ranks, maybe 7 and below. Very few of the higher ranked skills in any class are worth the ridiculous time put into getting them.

Maps might be more powerful than any skill creeps get in terms of day to day usage. If you want to keep people from becoming more powerful, farm the map spots. It's amazing how much greenies can run around colleting items for map quests without once getting ganked.
    Ijustpassedgas Excuseme
    Yeasty Infection

Quote Originally Posted by pibob314 View Post
    I was applying your logic to the opposite scenario. Someone needs to learn to read I think
    Admitting your problem is step 1. Congrats.

Question all you like. That's your perogative. It's not something to brag about but I can almost guarantee my /played time is greater than yours. You don't have to believe me or accept that though, go on thinking whatever you like.
    I highly doubt your playtime is higher than mine. And you can believe whatever you'd like too. I will continue to see you for what you say.

Maybe in a FPS or a simple offline game, but in a social GAME (note that at the end of it all, stars or not, you gain absolutely nothing), I don't think it is thought highly of at all. It simply highlights certain undersirable character traits and insecurities.
    You consider LOTRO a social game? LMAO. I consider it a massive multiplayer online role playing game. I suppose it can be reduced to merely a social game when you are incapable of performing anything else provided in the game. No wonder you try criticizing and belittling people who do perform above the standard.

This makes me question your knowledge of the game. After about Rank 6, which can be achieved rather quickly and easily by most classes, regardless of whether certain individuals or the masses decide to starve creeps of infamy, there are probably 2 game-changing abilities that can be obtained at higher rank which it could be argued tip the balance of power. Other than that, any progression or "gain in strength" is rather miniscule and I think that your posts on this matter are both exaggerated and misleading. I'm not saying that the abilities and racial traits that creeps gain at higher ranks do not afford them improvement, but simply that the amount of improvement is marginal in almost all cases.
    Individual marginal gain may not boost one sides strength very much, but many individual gains combined can make a significant difference. I think your posts on this matter understate the importance and significance of the difference, as well as mislead the readers into believing that it doesn't make much of a difference. Thankfully no amount of drivel you spew can pull a big enough sheet over the eyes of anyone who PvMP's. The difference is extremely noticeable to anyone who does PvMP.

Name some so we can follow their production rates and "efficiency" on the leaderboards.
    The resources are at your disposal. I have merely let you know that they are there. If you wish to follow that lead even further to provide yourself enough evidence to ease your mind, feel free to. I won't babysit you, nor will I hold your hand and lead you around like a mother or father.

Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    Most of the more powerful creep skills are obtained at lower ranks, maybe 7 and below. Very few of the higher ranked skills in any class are worth the ridiculous time put into getting them.
    Which just emphasizes how important it is to prevent creeps from ranking up, and how important it is to start early rather than late.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="Yellow"]I guarantee your level 65 r0 greenie BA will contribute more to your Creep raid than my level 2 Minstrel will contribute to my Freep raid. After all, both took about 5 seconds to create.[/COLOR][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000085aec/signature.png]Chea[/charsig]

no its not true lololol look at my sig i have no stars yet am the most skillful blackarrow on my server, if not the entire game. do the math

freelorn edited this post
    Last edited by ettendale; May 19 2010 at 04:42 AM.

I would say this is a mute point. Each case is entirely different and not worth debating. My guess is that every server knows which guys earn their stars and which ones hug. The ones that earn them are respected and others are not. People arent dumb, they know who the good ones are.

I never meant to imply that it's not possible. I was just pointing out that having a high "rating" doesn't guarantee that you have a high kill/time ratio. All rating really points to is a measure of how often you kill stuff versus how often you die.
    If you do not even try to communicate using clear and concise English, I will ignore you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000007db5e/signature.png]Akulz[/charsig]

Haven't any of you learned by now that trying to have any kind of discussion with olagaton just means running around in circles?

Quote Originally Posted by KillGore81 View Post
    Haven't any of you learned by now that trying to have any kind of discussion with olagaton just means running around in circles?
    Hehe. Maybe that was the case in the past, but recently he has just descended into repeating other peoples posts as if to say "I know you are but what am I?". Pretty funny to see to be honest.
    Wulfhram (Hunter), Boborrin (Champ), Garrth (Captain) assorted others

The best know when they are defeated.
    Some of the best players i know don't get over 3 stars.

You can be one of the best and have incredible patience or just know where to go to gank noobies.
    You can be one of the worst and have this patience and maintain 5 stars.

It's about patience and/or what you do to get the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by KillGore81 View Post
    More like enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by bruun View Post
    I would say this is a mute point. Each case is entirely different and not worth debating. My guess is that every server knows which guys earn their stars and which ones hug. The ones that earn them are respected and others are not. People arent dumb, they know who the good ones are.
    idk about your server, but none of the star farmers on vilya are respected except by the people in their tribe/kin, and they are all in the same both sides. And the ones who do star farm are older guys...so the ones respecting them are doing this......

Quote Originally Posted by aad0italian View Post
    idk about your server, but none of the star farmers on vilya are respected except by the people in their tribe/kin, and they are all in the same both sides. And the ones who do star farm are older guys...so the ones respecting them are doing this......
    lol same on my server, except they are all in the same kin which makes up 60% of the moors population So it SEEMS like everyone likes them. (Looks around and hopes they dont find me)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042070000000cbc65/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4