We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Is it true ? Stars = skill ?

Stars=one's ability to react to a fight. On a warg or burg they=patience, on a ranged class they=sitting in the back and pew pewing, on a champ they mean you're just a bada$$ I'd say stars are a reflection of skill relative to class and play style.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a0419/01001/signature.png]Stumplie[/charsig]

I earned my 5th gray star on Firefoot last night.
    They don't give out wine, flowers, kisses, or nookie for that on Firefoot though.

9 times out of 10 it demonstrates:

you run away a lot
    you sit in the back of the raid stealthed
    you only attack when you outnumber your opponent
    you have friends that will waste their heals/bubbles on you
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Viloxus View Post

you run away a lot
    and 9 times out of 10, if you don't like starhuggers it demonstrates:

you can't obtain stars yourself
    you think that you're a good player, but you're not
    you screw your raid/group over by running into unwinnable situations
    you cry a lot when people don't heal/cure you from your suicidal playstyle
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="Yellow"]I guarantee your level 65 r0 greenie BA will contribute more to your Creep raid than my level 2 Minstrel will contribute to my Freep raid. After all, both took about 5 seconds to create.[/COLOR][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000085aec/signature.png]Chea[/charsig]

"The glory of great men should always be measured by the means they have used to acquire it."
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Stars in themselves are not indicitive of skill since there are ways to exploit the system to gain kills with little risk. (FC) However, there are great players who are skilled who achieve a 5 star rating. I think it would be foolish to assume that anyone who has rank received it legitimately through skill just the same. So... I tend not to group stars and skill together anymore than I do rank and skill. They both indicate persistance to achieve a goal - that I agree with.
    Last edited by Aethniniel; May 07 2010 at 12:18 PM.
    "The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."
    [b][u][ M e n e l d o r ][/u][/b] | Aethniniel || Aethnin || Aethwen |

Quote Originally Posted by olagaton View Post

I believe, after 3 years of experience in the moors, that aggression and pushing WIN fights. Will those big dps threats at the front of the charge likely die more often than sitting back in a pew pew LoS fight? Absolutely.

But IMHO it's the single best way to win the battle and wipe the field of your opponents.

Unwinnable? Hardly. Star hugging? Not even close.

If 4 die to wipe 20 it's a win in my book.

But the REAL star huggers won't commit to that level of aggression because they don't want to be one of the 4. Which leads to a> entire wipes, or b> just standing back playing defensively.

I'll take aggression and a little risk over pew pew and security any day. ANY DAY.
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ffffff][COLOR=red][FONT=Tahoma][B][COLOR=darkorchid]Second Marshal[/COLOR] Luc Brandenbuck[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#a9a9a9][FONT=Tahoma] ~[B]Battlemaster[/B]~
    Stalker's Enemy*Reaver's Enemy*Blackarrow's Enemy*Warleader-Foe*Weaver's Enemy*Defiler-Foe
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ffffff][COLOR=lime][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Tahoma][B]Champion[/B][FONT=Tahoma]:[SIZE=1]'The only thing our opponents can do that we care about is die.'-Graalx2[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Thane9 View Post
    I believe, after 3 years of experience in the moors, that aggression and pushing WIN fights.
    you are right

apart from that, the best days in the moors seem to be those where there are big fights with big losses on _both_ sides. at least thats what many people report in the forums the following day

the problem is not that there are people like the one you answered, but that this pew pew vanish hug my stars playstyle is massively encouraged by game design in this game

@Drexlorn: the best answer to your question was given by Thane9: "It means you're skilled at getting stars."

thats just it. its much easier as a stealth class, and its much much easier when you have a raid protecting you. it is also easy for club fighters, and patience (cooldowns) helps a lot.

guess i'm that 1 out of 10
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Drexlorn View Post
    Hey, that's what everyone's saying around. Someone achieving 5 stars is definately a skilled player because he can win without dying.

Is it true ?
    its pure lies since people with 5 stars are generally people who never fight in circumstances where the odds are not in their favor weather it be a high rank creep/freep or more then 1. So they pick easy targets or just steam roll several with a group of players (zerging). They basically only are seen under circumstances in which they have a very good chance of winning. They are people you never trust to be with you in a fight cause they'll run at the first sign of trouble. In other words the best way to sum it up is well the guys are ******* (no word characterizes it better). Sure they can be good but their true potential is never reached do to the fact they never push their limits. Its also generally bad rep since under most circumstances of a losing fight they'll head for the hills with whatever they got even its 1 on 1. Which is why i generally butcher star huggers, so people give up the pursuit.

Makes the game more fun and fights alot better when people don't try to get 5 stars. And thats a rap.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000009cef/signature.png]Unknown[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Thane9 View Post
    I believe, after 3 years of experience in the moors, that aggression and pushing WIN fights. Will those big dps threats at the front of the charge likely die more often than sitting back in a pew pew LoS fight? Absolutely.

But IMHO it's the single best way to win the battle and wipe the field of your opponents.

Unwinnable? Hardly. Star hugging? Not even close.

If 4 die to wipe 20 it's a win in my book.

But the REAL star huggers won't commit to that level of aggression because they don't want to be one of the 4. Which leads to a> entire wipes, or b> just standing back playing defensively.

I'll take aggression and a little risk over pew pew and security any day. ANY DAY.
    Starhuggers/strategists are aggressive too, but they time it much better. In my 3 years of PvMPing, I have seen more % of fights won by the team that baits the other side (either via lack of patience, or by actual baiting) into agroing NPC's in a defended area. NPC's + players gives a significant advantage to the defense, which means they can suddenly turn aggressively offensive and win the battle. You don't have to stay defensive the entire time to build stars or play strategically, you just have to know where to establish your defense, when to hold your defense, and when the best time to push is. Use your opponents impatience to your advantage. Let them create an opening for you, don't create the opening for them and let them decide whether to kill you or not.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="Yellow"]I guarantee your level 65 r0 greenie BA will contribute more to your Creep raid than my level 2 Minstrel will contribute to my Freep raid. After all, both took about 5 seconds to create.[/COLOR][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000085aec/signature.png]Chea[/charsig]

Heres me playing for rating... and heres me not worrying about rating. The answer is yes and no. It depends on how the player gains the stars.

Infamy ~ Infamy Gained ~ Rating ~ Rating Gained ~ Date
    300578 ~~ +6046 ~~ 1147.0 ~~ -222 ~~ 2010-05-02
    294532 ~~ +1766 ~~ 1369.0 ~~ +218 ~~ 2010-05-01

thats a pretty general trend for classes other than wargs and burgs
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b01000006e8f3/signature.png]Kerishnak[/charsig]
    ~Kerishnak Rank 9 Reaver!~~ ~~Vajyno Rank 5 Defiler~~ ~~Namrod Rank 8 Loremaster of Eru~~ ~~Feynor Rank 6 warden oh and a rank 4 ezmode warg

If your bailing on your allies at 50%+ moral because you think that MAYBE you are gona loose then your not doing your side any good, if your getting away from the zerg thats another matter
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b01000006e8f3/signature.png]Kerishnak[/charsig]
    ~Kerishnak Rank 9 Reaver!~~ ~~Vajyno Rank 5 Defiler~~ ~~Namrod Rank 8 Loremaster of Eru~~ ~~Feynor Rank 6 warden oh and a rank 4 ezmode warg

and 9 times out of 10, if you are a starhugger it demonstrates:
    You hide in the back of raids
    You don't know if your a good player because you run from all fair fights
    You cry a lot whenever you die

At least in my experience people who have 5 stars are people who just join a raid and stand around, people who solo are a different story and I do have some respect for them, but from my personal experience the people with 5 stars are just cowards who leech.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042070000000cbc65/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Stars, KD ratio, and deaths have nothing to do with being a skilled or Un-skilled player.

I don't know how else to say this. Getting 5 stars requires you to literally stop PvP'ing everytime your "oh ****" button is on cooldown. This isn't skill, it is just patience.

Agreed. .
    [U][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000396671/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by GloinBlingBling View Post
    on a champ they mean you're just a bada$$
    Or a gigantic cat.
    Spam deleted by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlem3342 View Post
    Stars, KD ratio, and deaths have nothing to do with being a skilled or Un-skilled player.

I don't know how else to say this. Getting 5 stars requires you to literally stop PvP'ing everytime your "oh ****" button is on cooldown. This isn't skill, it is just patience.
    Patience is a skill that many players are not capable of, but choice. Preparation for a fight is half the battle. If you go into a battle without your full arsenal available, you are choosing to gimp yourself, so don't cry or envy others when you die and someone who waited for their cooldowns ends up accomplishing the same thing without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by nolins12 View Post
    See this ... to me is bull****. Maybe its a sever thing but this isnt the case 9 times out of 10 much less then that. But its still a problem

Anyway most people i see shooting for rating - are BORED of the zerg perhaps and perhaps wish you try out how effective they can be while keeping themselves alive. Or maybe they are a freep and have no reason be so desperate for inf/ren. Thats what its like for my LM

If i want to gain stars on my reaver - I go looking for 1vs1 and see how i do.

Staying away from being ganked and zerg over and over is a skill in it own.

im a little high so hopeuflly my posts are making sence

Patience is a skill that many players are not capable of, but choice. Preparation for a fight is half the battle. If you go into a battle without your full arsenal available, you are choosing to gimp yourself, so don't cry or envy others when you die and someone who waited for their cooldowns ends up accomplishing the same thing without dying.
    I think we will have different opinions on this but I'll try anyway. To me, fighting in the moors isn't about winning all my fights or getting a number that people have to bother to look for to see on mylotro on any other stat site. It seems to me that your standpoint, and that of many starhuggers or those with a starhugger mentality, is that the goal in the moors is to win every fight whereas my opinion is that it is more fun to take risks, have quality fights, have a challenge, etc and I don't really give a **** if I die or not as long as it was fun and challenging. Getting renown or rating is really my secondary priority, but if I can have a fight with a defiler that lasts for even 30s and we both give it everything we've got weather it's skills or just try our hardest I'm satisfied as long as it was a good and fun fight, winning is just a bonus. but if I waited around playing it safe until I find a fight I know I could win then I would get so bored with the moors and go back to PvE land. I agree patience is a virtue and important but when you choose to execute patience is what really matters to me.

As far as a raidvraid standpoint, I lead some and I know there are players who don't like to join my raids because I try things and experament to try and get interesting fights even though I know we will indefinatly die or atleast have many casualties throughout the course of the fight. If people don't want to die in my raids that's their choice and I respect that but my real priority is to have a good time and do different things when I raid. Also in a good group with good numbers it is easily possible to survive crazy situations that I get us into I just enjoy a challenging fight.

I don't think starhugging is neccessarily a bad thing, on the contrary, if you have fun doing it then, whatever floats your boat, after all it is a game. I was in a kin full of starhuggers for a while and it was certantly a different experiance than what I was used to when grouping with them. I don't think in itself it shows any skill, just being able to avoid dieing is not a hard thing to do but not dieing and taking risks is another matter, a player you see regularly in fights or in common places and who has stars is definatly a talented person but if they are rarely seen except by their victems and have stars well then... I guess there's some talent involved, there's always situational differences.
    [CENTER][COLOR=lightblue]Iinferno - r12 LM[/COLOR][COLOR=red] IVillKillU - r8 Reaver[/COLOR][COLOR=orange] Dongramorthil - Warden[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]Doalin - Hunter [/COLOR][COLOR=#696969]​Defaelearin - RK [/COLOR][COLOR=#8b4513]Dongrailin - Captain [/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6](Officer of Preying Mantis)[/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1][SIZE=2][COLOR=#00ff00]Author of[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#4b0082][SIZE=2] [URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info745-Lore-MasterDebuffHelper.html"]DebuffHelper[/URL][/SIZE]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

*cough*

It depends how you get the stars which matters imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Viloxus View Post

you run away a lot
    agree!!!...Also means...that person is a p****y

If the person can get stars being offensive, actually fighting great, but that'll never happens unless its a zerg. They are all cowards who turn high tail as soon as they lose 900 morale.

The question is, who is worse? the person who is gaining the stars, or the players who voluntarily lets them leech in there group (for example, 2k rating warg runs with a warg pack of 7 wargs. We FF that 2k rating warg, he hips, we wipe the rest of the group, and we dont see the whole group until that 2k warg gets his hips back)
    Last edited by aad0italian; May 09 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aad0italian View Post
    agree!!!...Also means...that person is a p****y

If the person can get stars being offensive, actually fighting great, but that'll never happens unless its a zerg. They are all cowards who turn high tail as soon as they lose 900 morale.

The question is, who is worse? the person who is gaining the stars, or the players who voluntarily lets them leech in there group (for example, 2k rating warg runs with a warg pack of 7 wargs. We FF that 2k rating warg, he hips, we wipe the rest of the group, and we dont see the whole group until that 2k warg gets his hips back)
    Wow, you have some serious hate for people who don't play the same way you do. This thread is very entertaining!
    [U][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000396671/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by dookie123 View Post
    I think we will have different opinions on this but I'll try anyway. To me, fighting in the moors isn't about winning all my fights or getting a number that people have to bother to look for to see on mylotro on any other stat site. It seems to me that your standpoint, and that of many starhuggers or those with a starhugger mentality, is that the goal in the moors is to win every fight whereas my opinion is that it is more fun to take risks, have quality fights, have a challenge, etc
    Up until this point, I have no problem with your playstyle. You come to the 'moors to have fun, and are looking for certain aspects of PvMP to provide that fun. Fair enough. But....

and I don't really give a **** if I die or not as long as it was fun and challenging
    ....here is where the issue lies. Freep deaths BENEFIT Creeps (this is assuming you're dying on your freep, and not caring). This is an innate mechanic of the game, and as such, a Freep death that benefits Creeps also affects other Freeps who have to face those newly strengthened Creeps. Your apathy and actions are affecting everyone elses gameplay experience. It's not a hard concept to understand, either -- opponent gets stronger when I die -- but people disregard it, and choose to play selfishly. For example, I don't see players doing Durchest, Twins or Lt dying on purpose or taking highly risky chances, and those events have penalties for players that die. It's the same concept, but people treat it differently. And furthermore, raid leaders don't allow that type of behavior on BG raids (if you play selfishly, they will boot you), but they will allow it in the 'moors. If Creeps didn't get stronger, I doubt anyone would have a problem with others dying as much as they wanted. I know I wouldn't. Unfortunately, the mechanic that is set in place does not cater very well to suicidal or experimental players, and people who play correctly to the mechanic get screwed over by these suicidal and experimental players in the long run.

Getting renown or rating is really my secondary priority, but if I can have a fight with a defiler that lasts for even 30s and we both give it everything we've got weather it's skills or just try our hardest I'm satisfied as long as it was a good and fun fight, winning is just a bonus.
    That's fine too, but given the turning point in the fight, I would hope you would concede the victory and hightail it out to deny the infamy gain for the opponent.
    Last edited by olagaton; May 09 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolins12 View Post

At least in my experience people who have 5 stars are people who just join a raid and stand around, people who solo are a different story and I do have some respect for them, but from my personal experience the people with 5 stars are just cowards who leech.
    Big LOLz, how many people have you grouped with who were at or near 5 stars?
    Bunnytail |Terminus Venatus Triumphus
    Mihiraa | Shock and Awe | Gladden

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast