We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Guide: Your Mac, LOTRO, & You

With the impending release of Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) there are more than a few of us who play the game on Macintosh computers by Apple. For information on how to do this and the best way to get the most out of your experience, please read on.

If you are interested in the more conversational FAQ please see the post that follows.

One Computer, Multiple Operating Systems
    After the advent of Intel-based Mac computers, Apple made it possible to users to run both OS X and Windows on the same machine. This was made possible by Boot Camp, currently a free download from the Apple website. Boot Camp, in the simplest of terms, is nothing more than a front-end boot loader that also partitions a section of your hard drive to run Windows. Boot Camp also lets you create a Windows driver disc allowing your Mac hardware to be recognized and run within Windows.

How is this possible you may wonder? Intel-based Macs are essentially made of the same components as other PCs; they simply run OS X as their default operating system. Boot Camp sets aside disk space to hold the Windows operating system and provides an easy way to switch between the two by rebooting and holding down the “Option” key at boot. Then you select your OS and you’re done!

Because the operating system (Windows) is being run in its own environment it is indistinguishable from another PC – for better or for worse. Thus, it is possible to run LOTRO on your Mac as good as, or in some cases, better than a PC.

Windows on the Mac 101
    A few things to keep in mind when you use Boot Camp on your Mac:
    • The software is (currently) beta. That means Apple or Turbine Entertainment does NOT officially support it. If you run into problem you are on your own.
    • You will need to partition or “set aside” dedicated disk space on your hard drive to run Windows. About 20GB or so is recommended. If your Mac supports it – like a Mac Pro – you can install Windows to a separate volume entirely.
    • You will require a legal, licensed copy of Windows for your install. Boot Camp is merely a boot loader; you must still provide the software.
    • Your Windows partition will run like any other Windows PC and will be (unfortunately) subject to the same vulnerabilities found on Windows computers, namely viruses and their ilk. Exercise caution, especially if you are unfamiliar with the Windows operating system.

How To Get The Best Performance?
    Just like a Windows PC, performance of the LOTRO client is a measure of how “up to snuff” your hardware is. Visit the following link and run the Online System Requirements Tool (from your Windows partition) to see how your Mac can handle LOTRO online.

Performance is ultimately a measure of several different factors including CPU speed, available RAM, and your video card. Of these, the video card may play the most important role. From “best” to “worst” here’s how the Mac lineup stacks.

“Best”
    Mac Pro (ATI X1900 XT) *note 1
    Mac Pro (NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500) *note 1

“Good”
    Mac Pro (NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT) *note 1
    iMac 24” (NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT)
    iMac 24” (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT)

“Okay”
    iMac 20” & 17” (ATI X1600)
    MacBook Pro (ATI Mobility X1600)

“Worst”
    iMac 17” (Intel GMA 950 Integrated)
    MacBook (Intel GMA 950 Integrated)
    mini (Intel GMA 950 Integrated)

*Note #1: The Mac Pro is the only Mac with a removable (user-replaceable) video card. This means you can upgrade the card at a later date, an important consideration if you intend to do a lot of graphics-intensive work, such as gaming. Video cards on the Mac Pro must conform to the EFI specification and support PCI Express.

Ram is another consideration and is something you can always add. Windows, like OS X, loves RAM. Typically the more the merrier. Of note is that Windows (32-bit version) on a Mac cannot see (or address) more than 2GB of RAM.

Virtualization
    One alternative to Boot Camp is virtualization software. This is sometimes confused with “emulation” which virtualization is not. Virtualization uses your existing hardware and creates a “virtual space” within OS X to run another operating system. Think of it as running Windows inside OS X. As you might imagine this does come at a performance cost (you’re running two operating systems simultaneously). Unfortunately virtualization has limited (i.e. almost none) support for graphical hardware acceleration. This means that you can expect very poor performance from LOTRO – if the client will run at all!

If you are interested in virtualization on your Mac check out Parallels made by Parallels, Inc.

Emulation
    Emulation is the only option that exists for Mac owners on a non-Intel-based machine. Virtualization and dual booting via Boot Camp rely upon the availability of the Intel chipset and architecture. If you are on a PowerPC-based Mac (G4 or G5) then you can run Windows but only by emulating the hardware through software. These solutions are even less robust than virtualization and graphical hardware acceleration – and running LOTRO – is not an option.

An example of emulation software for running Windows on a PowerPC Mac is VirtualPC made by Microsoft.

Installing Boot Camp
    In broad terms installing Boot Camp on your Mac (remember, you MUST have an Intel chipset!) is fairly straightforward.
    1. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed (Software Update)
    2. Download the Boot Camp software from Apple and install on your Mac (from within OS X).
    3. Run the “Boot Camp Assistant” from the Finder (Applications -> Utilities).
    4. Create a Windows driver disc for use once you have Windows installed.
    5. Select the volume to partition and a size.
    6. Finish the assistant and insert your Windows CD-ROM into your Mac.
    7. Reboot your Mac and hold down the “Option” key and boot from the CD-ROM.
    8. The Windows Installer will load and follow the prompted directions.
    9. Format your newly created volume in either NTFS or FAT (NTFS is recommended).
    10. Install Windows to this new volume.
    11. Once Windows is installed and reboots, use “Option” to select that volume to load Windows. Insert your driver disc that you made from OS X and install the drivers.
    12. Reboot again (love Windows!) and install the LOTRO client.
    13. Play the game!

For more specific instructions consult the Boot Camp documentation that comes with it or from the Apple website.

Remember, Boot Camp is beta software and is unsupported by Apple, Inc. or Turbine Entertainment!
    Last edited by Diedre; Mar 29 2007 at 07:31 PM.

Lightbulb Frequently Asked Questions

“Can I run LOTRO on my Mac?”
    Yes, you will need to run from Windows on your Mac using Apple’s Boot Camp software.

“Is there an OS X version of the LOTRO client?”
    No. At this time Turbine Entertainment has no intention of creating an OS X client. LOTRO runs in Windows only.

“I’ve installed Boot Camp but how to I run/boot Windows?”
    After installing Boot Camp you must run the Boot Camp Assistant. This will guide you through 1) creating your drivers disc and 2) partitioning your hard drive for Windows. After this you still need to install Windows.

“Do I need a copy of Windows to install on my Mac?”
    Yes. You need a legal copy of Windows to install and activate on your Mac with Boot Camp. Purchase this online or at your favorite retailer.

“Does Boot Camp work with Windows Vista?”
    As of version 1.2 yes! Boot Camp supports Windows XP and Vista (32-bit).

“What version of Windows is supported?”
    Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate. (No upgrade or multi-disc versions).

“Does Boot Camp work on any Mac?”
    No. Boot Camp only runs on Intel-based Apple computers. Any PowerPC Mac (G4 or G5) cannot run Boot Camp. Sorry.

“Can I install Windows to a drive on its own?”
    Yes! If you have an external drive or Mac Pro you can install Windows to its own volume without touching your OS X volume. This is highly recommended (if possible).

“Should I format my Windows volume FAT or NTFS?”
    NTFS is suggested because it is more robust, uses disk space better, and is more reliable. However OS X cannot write to an NTFS volume but it can read. This means you can look at files on an NTFS volume but not write to them. OS X can read AND write to a FAT volume. If sharing files between Windows and OS X is important to you consider FAT. Windows cannot read nor write to OS X Journaled volumes without additional software.

“I’ve installed Windows but nothing works!”
    Insert the driver disc (CD-ROM) that you created from the Boot Camp Assistant and run the .EXE. This will install Windows drivers for your Mac hardware.

“Can I download 3rd party drivers?”
    Yes, but they may not work. For example, some ATI video card drivers can crash your system. The Apple-provided drivers are recommended.

“Help! I can’t insert or eject a disc into my DVD drive from Windows!”
    Installing the Apple drivers (see above) will restore functionality of the eject key on your keyboard.

“Where’s the Windows key?”
    Because you’re using a Mac keyboard you don’t have a Windows key. Should you want one the Apple (Command) key maps to the Windows key through the Apple drivers you’ve installed.
    Last edited by Diedre; Mar 29 2007 at 07:25 PM.

Lightbulb Addendum

Reserved for future use.

Thumbs up Re: Guide: Your Mac, LOTRO, & You

Whew, my fingers hurt!

If anyone has any suggestions to improve, corrections, or generally just needs a hand with running LOTRO on a Mac please post here.

Thank you!

Re: Guide: Your Mac, LOTRO, & You

I'm thinking maybe if people could post their experiences on their Macs here, this thread would be a great help. The FAQ was good, but saying that a particular system is "Good" or "Okay" does nothing to state what kind of settings people are able to use and what performance they get..

That said, I'm in the process of installing on my MacBook. Will get back with more..

Macbook pro
    2g dual core intel
    2gb ram
    x1600 128 mb video card
    80gb hd with another 120 gb external hd
    win xp pro

I get 45 fps in the wild 25 fps in cities on my Macbook Pro in Tweaked high settings.

I have all the settings on high except for animations which is on med. I also have all shadows off or at Med except blob shadows.

I cut off the 3d character portraits and moved the cache all the way to the right. and toned down the settings for player display quality in large groups.

I also opened up the task manager and set the LOTRO program to high to get full use of the dual cores. My cpu usage went from 28% to 65%. I do have 2gb of Ram though.

Also I always run the game at the native 1440 x 900 because of the game looking horrid at anything else. I do have a 32 inch lcd hdtv and when i hook that up the game looks great at 1280 x 780 (think thats it) and gets abut 55 fps.

I have found that windowed mode works best with stable frame rates but full screen only causes me to lose around 10 fps.

I upgraded from the apple display drives to Omega drivers.net ati drivers and got a huge quality and fps boast. and I did not over clock the card do to heat issues. ( it gets no more performance with it over clocked in my opinion)

I have a quick question:

Do the Intel Macs utilize dual channel memory? If so, would I need to purchase a memory kit or will I be okay if I buy two identical 1 GB chips from the same manufacturer? That seems to be a cheaper option, since, from what I've been seeing, the kits seem a bit overpriced.

You will not be able to use more than 2gb of memory in xp. It's a bios thing with the mac. Just trust me I've done extensive research and have 3gb, 1 is missing no matter what.

That being said, I play on boot camp on a quad with an 8800 gts (yes can't use OSX atm and it SCREAMS!

Thumbs up Re: Guide: Your Mac, LOTRO, & You

I understand that. My question was whether or not I needed to purchase a "memory kit" to upgrade my RAM from 1GB to 2GB. The memory kits I keep seeing cost nearly double what one would pay if buying two separate memory sticks.

In any case, over the weekend I grabbed a pair of Corsair 1GB 667MHz DDR2 sticks, replacing the two factory-installed 512MB sticks. I'm very happy to report that the game both runs and looks fantastic with the upgraded 2GB of RAM.

Granted, I can't play in Ultra High mode, but it's still beautiful with the High settings.

First off, thank you for the greatly detailed information provided above.

I already had Parallels installed on my MacBook Pro (quite gaming capable and new) and went ahead and installed LOTRO to see if it would work, and got as far as selecting a world and then it crashes with the following error:

Game Error [122]
    No suitable graphics device was found. Are you running through a remote session or VM? If not, please check your video hardware capabilities. [122]

I see in the original post the remark about 'no hardware acceleration' and 'if it will run at all' -- has anyone else tried using Parallels?

After doing research online I'm fairly convinced that I need to go with Boot Camp if I want to try to get this to work on this machine.

I have to ask, I prefer virtualization and I don't want to maintain two sets of everything so that I can game in windowed mode and multitask, but is there some configuration that I can change in Parallels to make it work? Configuration in LOTRO?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by linna View Post
    First off, thank you for the greatly detailed information provided above.

I already had Parallels installed on my MacBook Pro (quite gaming capable and new) and went ahead and installed LOTRO to see if it would work, and got as far as selecting a world and then it crashes with the following error:

Game Error [122]
    No suitable graphics device was found. Are you running through a remote session or VM? If not, please check your video hardware capabilities. [122]

I see in the original post the remark about 'no hardware acceleration' and 'if it will run at all' -- has anyone else tried using Parallels?

After doing research online I'm fairly convinced that I need to go with Boot Camp if I want to try to get this to work on this machine.

I have to ask, I prefer virtualization and I don't want to maintain two sets of everything so that I can game in windowed mode and multitask, but is there some configuration that I can change in Parallels to make it work? Configuration in LOTRO?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    No, unfortunately there is not. Parallels does not support 3D accelerated Graphics for virtual machines. LoTRO requires a graphics card and drivers capable of rendering 3d graphics.

VMWare Fusion Beta 2 does support 3d acceleration for virtual machines, if you don't want to give up on virtualization, it might be a good thing for you to try.

Here's a link to where you can register for the beta download:

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrmgic View Post
    No, unfortunately there is not. Parallels does not support 3D accelerated Graphics for virtual machines. LoTRO requires a graphics card and drivers capable of rendering 3d graphics.

VMWare Fusion Beta 2 does support 3d acceleration for virtual machines, if you don't want to give up on virtualization, it might be a good thing for you to try.

Here's a link to where you can register for the beta download:

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/
    Thank you SO much... even if it's 'bad' news, there's good news too. This is great, and I'm very happy to have this alternative. It's a bit late tonight, but tomorrow I'll give it a try and see if I can set it up and get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by linna View Post
    Thank you SO much... even if it's 'bad' news, there's good news too. This is great, and I'm very happy to have this alternative. It's a bit late tonight, but tomorrow I'll give it a try and see if I can set it up and get it running.
    Well, to be honest, VMWare's 3D support is very limited. It has trouble running Sam and Max Episode 1: Culture Shock properly, I'm not sure how it will do for LoTRO, it might not work at all, but it would be valuable information for the community at least

Also, Parallels is supposedly working on 3d support, but they don't have it yet. Good luck with Vmware!

So just how badly would it run on a regular Macbook? I mean if the graphic settings are set to medium or low, would it actually be playable?

Quote Originally Posted by Virduk View Post
    So just how badly would it run on a regular Macbook? I mean if the graphic settings are set to medium or low, would it actually be playable?
    prolly not great since i think the mac books have onboard graphics only...

anyone out there had experience with the mac book pros with the 8600M GT cards?
    Spec:
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1440 x 900 resolution
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

That's what im looking like might be a possibility for me via work now... (have a nice desktop at home running LOTRO maxxed out, but would love to be able to play on any new lappy i get...) but wanna know how hard i should fight to get that 128Mb card upgraded to the 256Mb card. Alas being work and a few hundred $$ difference it's a bit harder to justify.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000001249c/signature.png]Feenary[/charsig]
    ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenicks[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][size=-1][i]Captain[/i][/size][/color] [color=lightblue][i](< 35)[/i][/color] ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenorin[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Dwarf Hunter[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](< 20)[/i][/color]
    ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenary[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Minstrel[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](level 75)[/i][/color] ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenera[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Hobbit Burglar[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](< 25)[/i][/color]
    ~ [b][color=grey]Feen[/color][/b], [color=red][i]BlackArrow (Rank 5)[/i][/color] ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Phyrre[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Elf LoreMaster[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](mid 20's)[/i][/color]

Unhappy Leopard Problems?

I have not had a problem with crashing in LORO until I installed Leopard. Now sometimes the screen turns black, but I can hear the game running in the background. I have to turn the computer off and restart. Sometimes the whole computer shuts down and I hear a soft grinding noise. I have to turn the machine off and reboot. My Machine specs are as follows:

Mac Pro Desktop G5
    Processor: Mac Intel Xeon (R) CPU
    5150 @ 2.66 Hz
    1.99 GB Ram
    APCI Multiprocessor
    Radeon X1900 Series Graphic Card
    Monitor: BenQ T904
    Kensington Pilot Board Keyboard
    Windows XP running in Bootcamp latest version

I have updated the drivers for the graphic card. I have all settings in the game turned down to medium or low. Some were set high before installing Leopard and it ran fine. It seems it is more likely to crash in decoration mode, although it has crashed at vebdors and typing in chat box. Is anyone else having problems with Leopard running LORO? This is so bad that I don't dare go into a Fellowship with as often as I am crashing.
    Jerusha
    Minstrel on Firefoot

In case anyone else trying to download Boot Camp hasn't realized yet...

Mac pulled off all downloads of Boot Camp, and is now forcing you to purchase Leopard, which includes it.

I spent hours looking through sites to get a download for Boot Camp, and FINALLY found one, so I thought I would share it here! xD

http://www.soft32.com/download_200398.html
    [b][size=1][color=red]Magicka Nightshade[/color][color=black] - 50 Woman Captain, Sargeant of the Guard[/color]
    [color=lime]Preying Mantis[/color][color=black], Elendilmir[/color][/b][/size]
    **Retired, gone to WoW - Where there's more content than I could chew through in years**

I'm looking at purchasing VMWare Fusion for my Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 2 GB RAM, Radeon x1900 video card). VMWare claims their virtual machines support (experimentally) "select 3D games in Windows XP virtual machines" with DirectX 9.

Has anyone tried running LOTRO on this setup? If I get Fusion, I'm planning to install a Windows XP Home SP2 full version on a virtual machine.

Appreciate any advice -- since I don't want to buy or upgrade to Leopard at this time just to get Boot Camp.

I have the same setup as you do, but not the Fusion. I run Windows XP on the New Boot Camp that came with Leopard. I installed the latest driver from ATI for the Radeon X1900 that came out this week, and LORO still crashes my game after 5 or 10 minutes. ATI hasn't released an update for the Mac driver in over a year I think. I have had no problems with LORO since it was released, until this last update. Let me know if you are able to run LORO with no problems or you also experience crashes. You will find my post 2 or 3 before yours with my machine specs. Good Luck.
    Jerusha
    Minstrel on Firefoot

Jerusha,

After reading everything I could about emulation software vs dual boot setups, I downloaded and installed BootCamp (thanks xxbalialxx for the link) and bought a copy of Windows XP Home (I felt dirty just doing it but hey... LOTRO is a fine game) and installed that. Then installed LOTRO, patched it for hours, and the game has been working flawlessly.

Note: I have NOT upgraded to Leopard yet, I'm still using Tiger, since enough people seemed to be successful with it.

I do have a question though -- when I play LOTRO, my Mac's fans rev up and the noise is annoying. It sounds like all four fans are racing. I've opened the box (it's only a few months old) and checked to make sure there's no accumulation of dust or any obstruction for the fans. I've also noted this accelerated fan speed when I play WoW (on the native Mac partition). Is this normal? Should I be worried? Does it have to do with the video card cranking? The fans only go into a higher gear when playing either LOTRO or WoW, never for any other use, even processor-intensive use.

im running lotro on my imac 20 inch core duo with 2 gigs of ram and the standard default vid card that came with the imac. I had to mess with the video options a bit. i play in windowed mode becuase the 20 inch display hurts my eyes. other than me being a winp and not playing on the full screen it plays wonderful and i am really enjoying my experience so far. oh yeah playing on my windows xp home edition bootcamp partition.

go go mac users!

Unhappy Re: Guide: Your Mac, LOTRO, & You

Leef,

I went to the Apple store yesterday with my questions, which got me nowhere. But I ask them about your question and the tech guy said it was perfectly normal. He explained why, but it went right over my head. Anyway, not to worry. Just wish someday I could play LORO again.
    Jerusha
    Minstrel on Firefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Diedre View Post
    Whew, my fingers hurt!

If anyone has any suggestions to improve, corrections, or generally just needs a hand with running LOTRO on a Mac please post here.

Thank you!

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a PC?

/places hands over ears as the Windows vs. Mac arguements begin.....
    My other signature was better, but was deleted by Turbine for political content... sheesh.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002bedd/01008/signature.png]Erruk[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by forgiven07 View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a PC?

/places hands over ears as the Windows vs. Mac arguements begin.....
    I agree completely. I would argue to the death that Macs are a complete money sink, for thing's the PC can do the same, and even better in most cases (ie: Adobe Suite, Video editing, w/e - not to mention the fact that 3D design is unprecidented on the PC platform.)

But, my girlfriend's parents bought her one, and she wanted a PC to run Lotro on, so I did the next best thing and put XP on it, and Lotro runs great
    [b][size=1][color=red]Magicka Nightshade[/color][color=black] - 50 Woman Captain, Sargeant of the Guard[/color]
    [color=lime]Preying Mantis[/color][color=black], Elendilmir[/color][/b][/size]
    **Retired, gone to WoW - Where there's more content than I could chew through in years**

anyone out there had experience with the mac book pros with the 8600M GT cards?
    Spec:
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1440 x 900 resolution
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM
    My fiancee just got one of these and just yesterday we got it all Boot Camped (with XP) and set up with LOTRO and patched. And it's lovely. She has 40-50fps on High graphics. I keep asking her to turn some stuff up and see what she gets, what she can enable with no framerate hit, but she's too happy with it on High to take the chance.

So the current MacBook Pro is made of win and making me jealous.
    Last edited by Cleo256; Dec 09 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast