We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

buff sticks - 2nd age vs 1st

I currently have a level 60 second age buff stick with the parry/crit/motivating speech legacies. I'm about to get my 4th Bright Emblem of Nimrodel. How much better are these 3 legacies on a fully ranked up level 59 first age buff stick -- is it worth doing? Or is it it a better idea to go for a 1 h sword with combat abilities (-melee cost/+to arms/+telling) to use for those rare occasions I'd want to go sword and board -- though it isn't very likely to get the combat abilities I want...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: buff sticks - 2nd age vs 1st

pretty sure the RA and OG ratings are +17 compared to 2nd age and motivating is the same (max 5%)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000005f597/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [b][color=cyan]Chroner[/color][/b] - R5 Champion * [b][color=cyan]Cronor[/color][/b] - R7 Lore-master
    [b][color=cyan]Qroner[/color][/b] - R5 Minstrel * [b][color=cyan]Qronir[/color][/b] - R5 Rune-keeper

I believe legacies for 2nd age buffs go to +416 and 1st age is +435. Pretty negligable, unless you like to show off bigger numbers.

Also, a 1H sword could be pretty viable. A 1st age should ID with plenty of initial legacies, giving you a good chance of what you want. It won't have the DPS of a 65 weapon, but at least for a sword and board heal build it'd be nice.
    Last edited by Beastnas; Apr 30 2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Beastwise, Captain, R15 | Gladden | Shock and Awe
    Original Challenger of Saruman
    Original Challenger of Gothmog

As things go, only the tactics gets a bonus from 1st age over 2nd age.
    Everything else is the same.

I would go with a 1st age buff stick once you are at 65 and have nothing better to do.
    Same goes for a 1st age buff emblem.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

1st age is always better for buff-sticks.

but you have a great 2nd age there and will be hard pressed to match that with your first ager.

whats your emblem situation? id consider using those medals for a lvl 59 first age emblem instead...
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

The points you have to spend are different.

A max level 1st age has 830 points to spend while a maxed 2nd age only has 750 points available.

Try messing around with the Legendary Item Point Spender to figure out what is feasible to get and still have the points to spend on.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000b1d0/01002/signature.png]Nyxwen[/charsig]
    Sergeant of the Guard [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/nyxwen/"]Nyxwen[/URL] Belegel, Executioner of the Wicked - 75 Captain - Supreme Master Tinker[COLOR="DarkOrange"],[/COLOR] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/nyxeth/"]Nyxeth[/URL], The Unwise - 65 Elf Hunter[COLOR="DarkOrange"],[/COLOR] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/nyxelen/"]Nyxelen[/URL] - 75 Man Burglar[COLOR="DarkOrange"],[/COLOR] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/nyxos/"]Nyxos[/URL] - 65 Man Warden[/CENTER]

for a buffing stick only I would not waste my 1st age tokens as a lvl 65 3rd age LI will do just as well as you are only putting the points into the buffing legacies anyway I save my 1st age tokens for my captain's emblems/ guardians belt as those are the items that need the most points available for use plus they give the bonus's not associated with a 2nd age or 3rd age LI's
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000009cce0/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

FREEPS: Ohdinn 65 Rune Keeper R-6, Sturrm 65 Captain R-6, Sempirfi 65 Hunter R-7.
    CREEPS: PUNNKD R-6 Reaver

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    1st age is always better for buff-sticks.

but you have a great 2nd age there and will be hard pressed to match that with your first ager.

whats your emblem situation? id consider using those medals for a lvl 59 first age emblem instead...
    I currently have two good lvl 60 2nd age emblems. I'm still level 62
    Healing: RC cooldown, vocal healing, SOW, melee skills healing
    Buff: focus/Escape from Darkness cooldown

I have 3 Level 65 emblems I've crafted, something like this:
    RC cooldown/vocal healing/SOW
    RC cooldown/focus/MC power
    RC cooldown/vocal healing/melee healing

I've been buying and IDing 65 3rd age weapons when they come up in AH, haven't found a very good one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SirJeffreyAlan2 View Post
    for a buffing stick only I would not waste my 1st age tokens as a lvl 65 3rd age LI will do just as well as you are only putting the points into the buffing legacies anyway I save my 1st age tokens for my captain's emblems/ guardians belt as those are the items that need the most points available for use plus they give the bonus's not associated with a 2nd age or 3rd age LI's
    My understanding is that for a healing emblem the 65 3rd age is better than the 59/60 first age, because of the inherent healing bonus. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    My understanding is that for a healing emblem the 65 3rd age is better than the 59/60 first age, because of the inherent healing bonus. Is that not the case?
    The tactical healing rating goes higher on a level 65 emblem than it does on a level 60 first age. I believe it tops out at 15% on the 59/60 First Age, whereas it goes to 18% for a level 65. So in terms of raw healing, a level 65 third age can be better.

My experience with First Age emblems however is that the amount of legacies upon identification is better/more numerous than a standard third age. Also I've had better luck with reforges in the frequency of getting Pool A legacies instead of the normal Pool B. This might just be dumb luck however.

Another fact that can offset the extra 3% in tactical healing rating a 65 third age over a 60 first age is that the first age should have more points to spend than a third age. So you could have more legacies ranked up on the first age.

I personally am using a First Age emblem due to the sheer number of good legacies it has. I don't find a ton of 65 third age emblems, and when I do, the legacy indentification lottery usually is a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydil View Post
    I personally am using a First Age emblem due to the sheer number of good legacies it has. I don't find a ton of 65 third age emblems, and when I do, the legacy indentification lottery usually is a bust.
    Thanks for the answer. Is there a real difference between lvl 59 and 60 FA emblems? Worth the extra 2 tokens?

I craft my own 65 third age ones, and have been saving up good ones. A bit expensive as Legendary Fragment market on AH is sometimes quite high on Meneldor. But even the poorer crafted lvl 65s go for a fair bit, so I make a profit if I don't keep the item. So that part works for me. Don't often see good ones on the AH, and they don't drop that often.

Quote Originally Posted by SirJeffreyAlan2 View Post
    This is incorrect.
    For buffing emblems there is no inherent difference with the LI bonuses you get to Tactics: Focus, and other useful things like Escape From Darkness CD and SoW Healing.

For Buffing sticks age matters in terms of the two major legacies RA and OG.
    For To Arms and Motivating Speach it is the same.

I would not worry about LI points as you will not be putting things into the Damage but the LIs only so its all down to their Tiers.

There is no difference between 59 and 60 1st age emblems in terms of the LIs, only.
    You do not want to use a 1st age as a healing since a 65 3rd age is better due to the T9 relics, Crafter Relics, and the Tactical Healing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Pillager101 View Post
    This is incorrect.
    For buffing emblems there is no inherent difference with the LI bonuses you get to Tactics: Focus, and other useful things like Escape From Darkness CD and SoW Healing.
    Tactics: Focus has a higher top-end for a 59-60 1A than it does for 59-60 2A and even a 65 3A (and 2A too, I believe). The 1A caps at 100.2. But you are correct about all other legacies, there is no difference on their top-ends.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000027515/01008/signature.png]Tyrandir[/charsig]
    [font=tahoma] [color=gold]Tyrmur (lvl 65 Minstrel) | Kenso (lvl 65 Burglar) | Kendwyn (lvl 60+ Guardian) | Tyruil (lvl 30+ Hunter) | Tyrage (lvl 30+ Champ) [/color]
    [color=red]Tyrzin - R4 Stalker[/color][/font][/center]

Yup you are correct, the difference is so minute that i tend to forget about it and usually run with a 2nd age 60 for buffing.
    For a Buff stick i got lucky and got a nice spear from the turtle a while back.
    Now I am looking for another one with Motivating speach on it.
    Hate switching between 2 buff sticks.