We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Captain healing capability

    Here's my story...

    I have a 47 captain, I took a leveling break and been gathering up soloing virtues (discipline & innocence) before I push to Eregion.

    Im currently 3red/2blue but will be 5 HoH at endgame. I wanted a healing class but didnt want RK or mins. What is the max capability of a well geared/well traited captain?

    3man solo healer? 6man solo healer? Which content?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000020799/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  2. Re: Captain healing capability

    It really depends on the grouping as much as the content. I can do remarkably difficult instances with a good group... with a pug my capacity is more limited. Captains are, overall, the ideal healers for three mans and can do most six mans with a reasonable group. I am sure that there are some uber groups which have had captains heal all the six mans. Raids really do require minis and rks, though I have noticed healers going into dps mode for at least part of raids because the captain had things covered.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,734

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Quote Originally Posted by jewellg View Post
    Here's my story...

    I have a 47 captain, I took a leveling break and been gathering up soloing virtues (discipline & innocence) before I push to Eregion.

    Im currently 3red/2blue but will be 5 HoH at endgame. I wanted a healing class but didnt want RK or mins. What is the max capability of a well geared/well traited captain?

    3man solo healer? 6man solo healer? Which content?
    Cappies can heal all 3 mans and 6 mans in the game no problem (as seyahat said though, group skill dependant). Minnies and Rks are definately superiour in terms or raw healing ability though, and in raids your primary role is as a buffing back-up healer (keeping up To Arms, SoW, War-Cry ect as much as possible while DPSing, corruption removing and healing).
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights[/SIZE]

  4. #4

    Re: Captain healing capability

    yeah it's dependent on skill and group makeup.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    291

    Re: Captain healing capability

    In my experience, captains are most sought-after for 3-mans than minstrels. The extra versatility is a big win with a small group. Healing 6-mans is considerably tougher, and your gear/legacies will need to lean toward being able to maximize your healing output. Try to get the 6-piece DN set as it lets you spam Rallying Cry like there's no tomorrow. Also try sword-n-board with a good healing shield for extra power and power regen. Even without uber gear 6-mans are doable, but as has been said, the group needs to know you won't be burst healing like a mini or sustained healing like a RK. If they exercise caution with pulls and don't bite off more than they can chew, you should be fine.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=yellow]Celedorn [/COLOR][/B]Champion [B]~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Severrond [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Lore-Master ~ [B][COLOR=yellow]Edenvail [/COLOR][/B]Captain[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Vexer [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Burglar[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Halorandir [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Hunter[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Braeburn [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Guardian[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

    [/SIZE] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][I][COLOR=#ffa500]Proud member of Weapon of Choice [/COLOR][/I][SIZE=2]~ Elendilmir[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=white]"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me."[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,027

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Quote Originally Posted by jewellg View Post
    Here's my story...

    I have a 47 captain, I took a leveling break and been gathering up soloing virtues (discipline & innocence) before I push to Eregion.

    Im currently 3red/2blue but will be 5 HoH at endgame. I wanted a healing class but didnt want RK or mins. What is the max capability of a well geared/well traited captain?

    3man solo healer? 6man solo healer? Which content?

    Mostly depends on the group synergy. If you got a group that cooperate well and where everyone knows what they are doign; you can beat most content. I don't event consider group makeup an issue.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Clarification....you only need 5 DN pieces for the RC cd. I honestly thought they would have nerfed this by now. For non-gloom instances, this is as close to overpowered as we'll likely ever be again. It's quite insane, really.

    A well-built cappie can have WoC crit for 1500-ish and super crit for over 2K (depending on the recipient's incoming healing). That said, aggro management is a big factor in whether or not you can solo heal a 6-man instance. A 3-man should be doable with most groups with only cappie heals.

    IMO, the easiest SH HM groups always have a cappie as the healer.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=White]The [/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"][SIZE=3][B]NOLDOR[/B][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] of Arkenstone[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

  8. #8

    Re: Captain healing capability

    When going through Sword Halls (the most commonly-run 3-man), I often take my captain and have had very few issues. On a few occasions, it's gotten a bit tight when I don't crit on bosses and am also tanking (yeah, tanking AND main-healing), but we never wiped.

    My favorite 3-man group makeup now is Burg, Hunter, and Captain. It's just incredibly fast.

    I also main-heal the last fight of SG (Demafir or whatever his name is) and the other day in a turtle run the minstrel in my group didn't have to toss any heals (thanks in part to good tank rotation).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    716

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Cappies can pretty much heal any 3 man. 6 man depends on the group make-up, but if you have a burg for CJs a captain can probably heal through most 6 mans even if the group set-up isn't ideal. 12 man, there might be times when a cappie can cover things, but it's not very likely that a captain would need to cover all the healing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203010000025086/signature.png]Haji[/charsig]
    Tuin lvl 75 Captain

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,027

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuin View Post
    Cappies can pretty much heal any 3 man. 6 man depends on the group make-up, but if you have a burg for CJs a captain can probably heal through most 6 mans even if the group set-up isn't ideal. 12 man, there might be times when a cappie can cover things, but it's not very likely that a captain would need to cover all the healing.

    So in the end we can say it can be qualified with these few words : Teamwork, Cooperation and communication.. So in there is no teamwork or cooperation or communication in the group, it is doomed to fail...

    How can it be explained, idk, just make sure everyone does know what they have to do, understand people strength and weaknesses, know your roles, be self-suffcient as much as you can, be attentive to the environment, be able to listen at other people and don't be afraid to call for stuff if needed.


    and the list goes down and down and down..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    716

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    So in the end we can say it can be qualified with these few words : Teamwork, Cooperation and communication.. So in there is no teamwork or cooperation or communication in the group, it is doomed to fail...

    How can it be explained, idk, just make sure everyone does know what they have to do, understand people strength and weaknesses, know your roles, be self-suffcient as much as you can, be attentive to the environment, be able to listen at other people and don't be afraid to call for stuff if needed.


    and the list goes down and down and down..
    Yeah this is pretty much it, the more alts I've leveled and maxed out the better I play my cappie
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203010000025086/signature.png]Haji[/charsig]
    Tuin lvl 75 Captain

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    128

    Re: Captain healing capability

    What they said. 3mans no problem - 6mans with the right group.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    457

    Re: Captain healing capability

    One thing to note that Capies really depend on Gear for healing.
    As mini/RKs get a boost from traits, captains get the most out of Legacies and to some extend gear.

    You have key legacies on both weapon and emblem that drastically increase your healing output plus you add to that some gear.
    In the captain case the best healing is the DN set. The 5 item bonus is amazing for healing with the right legacies.
    Add to that +PA targets and -RC CD and you are popping a 500-700 group heal and a 130-200 group power heal every 8.3 seconds and that is pre crits.

    I would say in 3 mans captains can hold their own unless the group is way under leveled or is lacking synergy.
    In 6 mans it very much becomes gear, skill and make up thing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,628

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Will score is critical to good healing. For each point in Will you have, that's +10 to outgoing healing.

    So being a weak willed captain of 200 will, only nets you +2000 outgoing healing, while being capped in will (at 650) nets you an outgoing healing of +6500.

    Unfortunately, for the dream Rallying Cry sigil, it will need to be a Second Age level 65 LI, with the following legacies on it:
    -Rallying Cry Cooldown
    +Rallying Cry Healing
    +Vocal Skills Healing

    One more, and it becomes a very strong healing Sigil:
    +Melee Skills Healing

    I said unfortunately, because we're at the mercy of the random number generator.... so some might get that on their first ID... others might be going at it until halfway through the fourth age...
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  15. #15

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Southpa View Post
    Clarification....you only need 5 DN pieces for the RC cd. I honestly thought they would have nerfed this by now. For non-gloom instances, this is as close to overpowered as we'll likely ever be again. It's quite insane, really.

    A well-built cappie can have WoC crit for 1500-ish and super crit for over 2K (depending on the recipient's incoming healing). That said, aggro management is a big factor in whether or not you can solo heal a 6-man instance. A 3-man should be doable with most groups with only cappie heals.

    IMO, the easiest SH HM groups always have a cappie as the healer.
    damn 2k? with almost maxed will, relentless, 2nd age w/vocal, traited etc etc, the highest I've gotten is 1670 on a fully decked out guard.

    maybe a champ with heroics?
    Kraken, Thesungodra

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Internetz
    Posts
    1,930

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    It really depends on the grouping as much as the content. I can do remarkably difficult instances with a good group... with a pug my capacity is more limited. Captains are, overall, the ideal healers for three mans and can do most six mans with a reasonable group. I am sure that there are some uber groups which have had captains heal all the six mans. Raids really do require minis and rks, though I have noticed healers going into dps mode for at least part of raids because the captain had things covered.
    Cappys in the moors work well in small groups. Many-a-time I have been saved!

  17. #17

    Re: Captain healing capability

    Do you have full SoW on your emblem? Maybe he does?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000020799/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload