We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do we want balance?

Meh - deleted.
    I could just kick myself in the head every time I post on this forum.
    Last edited by Jerboa; Apr 28 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Re: Do we want balance?

Reading this, I feel as if you don't understand the Ettenmoors very well.
    In your opinion it might be fun to be grossly outmatched, but for the average player you want to go out and atleast have a CHANCE of winning, I know I wouldn't go out on either side if it took 5 creeps to kill 1 freep. You telling me you would ENJOY needing a raid to kill 2 or 3 players?

The Freeps are supposed to be the heroes in this world and they should be substantially buffed since the transition from easy mode PvE to PvP is too tramautic for many of them to make anyways.
    Oh yes, us stupid freeps, we are all hopelessly bad at everything and simple player vs player is far too hard and complicated. Don't patronize or mock me.
    - Azoril Stormhammer, guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerboa View Post
    I'm baffled by people who seem to want to extend the sanitary, predictable, and scalable world of PvE to our tiny little PvMP zone.
    I'm baffled by people who spend more time in the forums than they do playing the game.
    [LEFT]-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    [B]Paperclip[/B] (R10 RVR) | [B]Scenic[/B] (R9 HNT) | [B]Fauve[/B] (R8 BRG)

[/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Jerboa View Post
    I think the Ettenmoores should be decidedly unbalanced. The Ettenmoores should be a ridiculously uncivilized and dangerous place - the one corner of the world were a player doesn't get to dial up the level of difficulty and the magnitude of the threat is unknown. The Ettenmoores isn't an instanced zone and nothing is going to scale for a players convenience. It is the one chaotic place in the whole LOTRO universe where you might get a whole lot more than you can handle.

I'm baffled by people who seem to want to extend the sanitary, predictable, and scalable world of PvE to our tiny little PvMP zone. Like a dial up skirmish, these people want all the numbers to add up in neat little columns so that they can enter the Ettenmoores and know in advance they will come away with a win. People who seek this sort of experience in the Ettenmoores will never find it there and they should not be consulted when changes to the zone are considered because they simply don't get it.

The reason these people will never find what they seek in the Ettenmoores has nothing to do with Turbine. The reason is simple: The enemy in the Ettenmoores is intelligent and simply will adapt to any changes made to the game.

Let's say Lore Master Bob gets upset because while he was out hunting a lone Warg jumped him and easily soloed him. Lore Master Bob, thinking that the Warg class is the problem, petitions Turbine for a Warg nerf and thanks to the latest patch Lore Master Bob can now beat the Warg. That seems like a fix but in reality nothing will actually change for Lore Master Bob.

The next time Lore Master Bob goes out there he'll be jumped by two, three, or four Wargs and the result is exactly the same. Lore Master Bob is deaded with no chance of escape. Eliminate the Wargs from the game and a Weaver (or a group of Weavers) will step in and whack Lore Master Bob.

Lore Master Bob's problem isn't Turbine or a particular class; rather, Lore Master Bob's problem is seeking a dial up instanced skirmish in a open PvP zone. He refuses to handle the lack of control he has over his experience. He wants the dynamic nature of the Ettenmoores but doesn't want to roll with the ups and downs that come with a truly dynamic gaming experience.

There should be someplace in the LOTRO universe where a player can go to get a gut wrenching nip & tuck experience. I think deviating from the initial philosophy of the Ettenmoores was the wrong way to go. The Freeps are supposed to be the heroes in this world and they should be substantially buffed since the transition from easy mode PvE to PvP is too tramautic for many of them to make anyways. If a person wants to be hunted like a dog or test his mettle against truly dangerous foes that player should have to roll a Creep. Toss of any hope of balance, give the Freeps 2X morale on the Ettenmoores and make being a Creep really freakin' hard and dangerous.

At least that way, those who really want to test themselves have a place to go. It's silly that players spend 65 levels mindlessly bashing monsters only to step out onto the Ettenmoores and get smoked anyways. Keep the play consistent while leaving the Creepside weak so those who really want to fight have a place to go. Let the Creep players know this well in advance - Turbine needs to flat out state their design goals and then refer to that document anytime a Creep complains.

I agree, 100%, wholeheartedly. I assume you will feel the same way if the pendulum swings back to say, MoM Book 6 freep domination. Right? Nah...I suspect you'll either be on a shiny new hunter or whining to beat the band on these forums about balance.

As long as Turbine allows players to unbalance the moors by joining the winning side and outnumbering the enemy (brave wargs of Glain!), there is no danger that the moors will ever be generally balanced.

cool thread
    [CENTER][FONT=Garamond][B][COLOR=#424242]« [COLOR=#FF0000]S[/COLOR]eyz [COLOR=#FF0000]V[/COLOR]anguard - R14 »[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042040000000a4551/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

FajaSailors luckily quoted the whole msg.

I think it was pure trolling, but for those who feel too overpowered on creepside, its quite easy to change that:

- dont play a warg
    - play solo
    - do not trait the good traits
    - do not use potions
    - if you really have to play a warg, do not use the Enhanced Skill: Stealth. do not join warg packs

and if you "only" want to be on the losing side, thats fairly easy: most time of the day one side is outnumbered. at the moment, thats freep side on most servers. make yourself a freep toon, lvl 40 is ok (you want it hard, dont you?), that is done fairly quick, and join the battle when freeps are outnumbered

its easy to rebalance a game yourself to make it harder for you; it does not require changes for anybody else. just do it

wow, you said it all

now if only someone could have posted this book 6 MoM when people were complaining about Lore-masters being OP.

don't worry Jerboa, wargs will get nerfed. They will get nerfed and most people will stop playing them and then switch to the next fotm. But the good wargs who know how to play their class will stick around and still be able to compete in 1v1's. Just learn to play your class a little better.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger!"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002bd8c/01008/signature.png]Tinechor[/charsig]
    Ashnazgdurbatuluk - Rk5 Warleader

i don't know the definition of balance...its not in my vocabulary
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000009cef/signature.png]Unknown[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Notaforumguy007 View Post
    i don't know the definition of balance...its not in my vocabulary
    That's because you're OP.

As an aside I could kick myself for posting this - I already know what most of the responses will be. I must like pain or something. Anyways, I'll be looking for you on the Ettenmoores tonight - that way, I can map before you catch me.

no, the majority don't want balance. They say they want balance, however they want their class/side to always have the upper hand despite any circumstances. The majority know this and thus say they want balance to ultimately nerf the class that is slightly more powerful than theirs or buff their class to the point that they're slightly more powerful than the first overpowered class. And by slightly, I mean they want to be able to solo it to the point that they can win despite being less skilled. Yeah, not that slightly I suppose.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320201000000a8f6/signature.png]Blackstar[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Aurthur View Post
    no, the majority don't want balance. They say they want balance, however they want their class/side to always have the upper hand despite any circumstances. The majority know this and thus say they want balance to ultimately nerf the class that is slightly more powerful than theirs or buff their class to the point that they're slightly more powerful than the first overpowered class. And by slightly, I mean they want to be able to solo it to the point that they can win despite being less skilled. Yeah, not that slightly I suppose.
    Generally this is what I've seen. I mean I play minstrel (and defiler) I'm currently very close to the top of the solo food chain. Some minstrels still complain but I've beaten every class rank 7+ with the exception of defiler since the one really ranked defiler that still plays (doomshammy) I got him down to 1k health he feared me and I hadn't realized I was out of fear pots but I degress.

As for my defiler I can fight most people and win IF they stay and fight but since my dps is so low if they run out of power look at me at full health since I was healing they'll just run away.

You you can basicly go through the classes and find someone that does well soloing. the reason is there will always be someone whos good and therefore better then some other person on a different class.

I'd also like to point out that wargfoot shouldn't have had to delete this post. its his opinion you don't have to agree with it heck I don't. but you don't need to insult him.

Quote Originally Posted by CQ-Reborn View Post
    In your opinion it might be fun to be grossly outmatched, but for the average player you want to go out and atleast have a CHANCE of winning, I know I wouldn't go out on either side if it took 5 creeps to kill 1 freep. You telling me you would ENJOY needing a raid to kill 2 or 3 players?
    minus the captials was a logical response stating your take on the matter and speaking nicely about what you think the average player would want. dorianfalkenmond had good points as well about if you're looking for a challange there are ways to get it. but telling someone they don't understand the moors, and such does nothing to push the discussion forward.

with this quite long post I'm sorry for killing another thread when ever I post it either ends the conversion or gets ignored so heres to another one! /cheers

Goneric

P.S. yes I know this is the interwebz and I can't stop flaming but oh well
    Last edited by gonewhaned; Apr 28 2010 at 11:10 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000010afaf/01008/signature.png]Goneric[/charsig]

Goneric deaded my thread.

I read posts by people that are upset by the game and I try to "fix it" by posting ideas or suggestions only to get one page into the thread and realize there is nothing I can say or do to change anything. I used to thrive on forum "discussions" and I'm a little surprised at how much I've come to hate them (not the people, the "discussions"). Sorry for creating a mess on the forums - I'll go back to posting stories on our PvMP forum. I'll try to remember I hate the Monster Play forums and stay out. Takes a little getting used to though.

I'm like a recovering alcoholic who keeps walking into a bar out of sheer habit. I keep trying to find a high I used to enjoy (discussing/arguing game balance) but instead find only a smokey room full of inebriated idiots who spend most of the day laughing at fart jokes while laying around on a puke stained carpert counting ceiling tiles. I always wonder what I ever saw in any of it.
    Last edited by Jerboa; Apr 29 2010 at 10:31 AM.