We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Maintenance for more than 6 weeks

My guess is that the cap on how far you could pay into the future was initially set so houses couldn't be kept off the market virtually forever (ie by someone paying years worth of maintenance) by players no longer playing the game.

However, since housing was first introduced, the lock-out policy has changed to do just that: keep houses in the players' names indefinitely. So why the continued need for only allowing so few pre-payments?
    [color=cyan]Ryswald[/color] - 75 Burglar - Revelations - Rank 9 (pre-book 12 rank 6)
    [color=orange]Ragluk[/color] - 75 Stalker - Rank 6
    [color=grey]65 Hunter R5, 61 Loremaster, 48 Champion, 33 WRD, 33 RK, Rank 4 Weaver, Rank 6 Reaver[/color]
    [i]Firefoot Server[/i]

Re: Maintenance for more than 6 weeks

Because housing has, and probably always will be (unfortunately), a patchwork system put in as an afterthought? :P

Not to disparage the work that has been done - I'm sure someone worked very hard to design and build the housing instances. But it is definitely at the bottom of the priority heap.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000081f7a/signature.png]Calendras[/charsig]

Re: Maintenance for more than 6 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftstrike View Post
    However, since housing was first introduced, the lock-out policy has changed to do just that: keep houses in the players' names indefinitely. So why the continued need for only allowing so few pre-payments?
    It would cost resources to change it. They rather spend those resources doing something else. You have to remember except for the UI and artwork. The housing system is a port of the Asheron's Call with a few changes. Housing is not something that was designed from the ground up for LOTRO. Hence the massive difference in functionality between our housing system and the one in EQ2. Or some of the other newer games.

Turbine was catching a lot of flak about - stop taking my home. They came up with what appears to be a minimum cost solution to solve the problem. Permanent house ownership. An increase in the duration of escrow before everything is destroyed. Followed another low cost change to up the maximum payment required to unlock a home.

Based on what I've read, Turbine considers the housing system finished. No more changes. Additions like more decorations. Or new NPCs. Or new landscape objects like the skirmish center. That is about it.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 24 2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.