We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why don't Captains care about Strength of Will

Why does it seem that most Captains don't care about having the Strength of Will healing legacy on any of their LI's? Maybe I am biased as a champ with my - incoming healing but it seems to me this would be captain's most useful legacy...ever. I have seen SoW at 20% make healing a guard in BG easy as hell...or hard as hell if they don't have it. It makes champ tanking SG easy as pie. What gives?

Maybe its not true with captains in the forums, but most captains that I see do not ever bother to max it out on any of their emblems.
    Last edited by natethedarkjedi; Apr 28 2010 at 06:45 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000027e816/01008/signature.png]Findaratos[/charsig]

Re: Why don't Captains care about Strength of Will

yeah 20% SoW is pretty much necessity for BG if you want a smooth run, and it's really useful in general.

my guess is that they just don't really think about it tbh
    Kraken, Thesungodra

i dont think people dont care, its just that there are so many good emblem legacies thats its not a must have

I have it on a separate emblem along with Power Regen buff: And just swap it in when I'm using it.

Yeah, at the least it's a great swap-in legacy. It bugs me too that most people don't seem to value it.
    [center][size=1]Sneaking & Co.[/size][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    i dont think people dont care, its just that there are so many good emblem legacies thats its not a must have
    This is where I'm confused as well, seems like it should be a must have.

Yet very few capts I inspect have it, or have put points into it if they do that it.

I don't have a capt so hopefully some in the forums can shed some light.

I do know I have been on a lot of sg runs with just a cappy healing. Those with maxed strength of will legacy rock, those without it struggle big time.

Quote Originally Posted by featherlight111 View Post
    I have it on a separate emblem along with Power Regen buff: And just swap it in when I'm using it.
    This is what I do too. Whenever SoW is finished cooling down I swap to my buffing emblem and hit SoW again.

yep I gotta say it's really more important than most legacies. Depending on the content, often times SoW will be more important than maxed out melee healing (due to the small amount of damage being taken by everyone else). in raids I would say it's more important than vocal, just for the fact that the main tank will get more healing from the main healers through SoW than they will through your own healing. not to say that you shouldn't have vocal, it's a must have too...

it's really easy to get, too. you can get any emblem and just swap out, age/level doesn't matter. a few runs of SH and there you go
    Kraken, Thesungodra

It's a combination of things, I suppose.

I think a lot of captains spend most of their time leveling/playing in solo mode, where the legacy and its related skill sees very little or no use at all, so... maybe they just don't think about it at end-game.

It could also be the nature of the legacy itself. It's for a single-skill buff that works passively on one other person as opposed to saying something like "+50 stats for everyone!" Not really sexy, eh? Maybe some captains overlook it for that.

And though there's leeway with "must-have" legacy lists, like newwwwb says, we have a bunch of other Pool As that not only have higher priority (usually--see other captain forum lists) but have a much wider range of usage in all situations. Maybe the SoW legacy falls under "situational" in that case. I'd think that captains who level and play specifically with end-game/raiding in mind and who intend to main-heal, however, would value the legacy more. Everyone else, well...
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

I never realized how important it is until shortly after BG came out. In fact, I thought it was a short duration buff like To Arms, instead of a whole 2 minutes

But yeah, with constant +20%, healers have commented on how much easier their job is.
    Beastwise | Gladden | Shock and Awe

If you were to inspect me, you would not see it on my main LI.

Most people I think would keep it on a back-up LI that they switch to every two minutes to reapply it. But yeh, it is neccesary for a captain.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hall_Of_Mandos View Post
    If you were to inspect me, you would not see it on my main LI.

Most people I think would keep it on a back-up LI that they switch to every two minutes to reapply it. But yeh, it is neccesary for a captain.
    Hm, I think this is the winner. I don't know what other classes would regularly do combat gear switches, but considering how much we rely on buff legacies, having two of each LI type isn't uncommon for captains. I just happen to have +SoW on my main, I guess.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by featherlight111 View Post
    Thats what I do too, but it's kind or a PITA to do every 2 mins so I'm not too focused on keeping it always on. I hate that with a buffing weapon, a buffing emblem along with the equiped weapon/emblem we only have 2 LI spots to farm relics (1 if you keep a 1H LI for sword and board like me). I think that is a factor to some as well, they would rather have that LI slot to farm relics instead of another "keeper" LI.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000003097e/01003/signature.png]Belgarad[/charsig]
    Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today,
    but if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're giving none away

I guess one reason people would not have it on them is that my captain always seems to be pretty full on legendary slots (having a 1st age emblem and 1st age weapon just for buffs alone) that it could get lost in the shuffle.

Not to be hatin' on cappies, but I also see a lot of bad ones around when I'm not playing my captain who seem to trait in groups for solo dps more than group mechanics and it could be that they are too used to soloing up to the higher levels they haven't thought about these things. Obviously on your herald the original +5% incoming healing doesn't seem too important so you're not used to using the skill even.

I don't know why captains wouldn't have this though, it's really a quite amazing legacy. I leveled up duo with my friend so I was always used to casting this to help out my outgoing healing ever since I got it. Plus, I've always wanted more active buffs and why would you refuse a chance to make a good one even better?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    I thought it was a short duration buff like To Arms, instead of a whole 2 minutes
    That is likely the problem. I too assumed it was like a 15 second buff with a much longer cooldown. The skill doesnt specify duration and I don't group up often enough to realize any difference it could make.

My Herald can't hold aggro on a monster after I do a rallying cry or two, so I never learned how it might be used to heal my herald better. I stopped using Heralds as a result as soon as Muster Courage was able to heal me. So strength of will never had a chance to impress upon me its importance. I do have it on my Healing emblem though.
    Last edited by Irnaetha; Apr 25 2010 at 09:16 AM.

I duo with a fervour champ. SoW is a must-have.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffa500]Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (finally!) BA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Clarysta [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#ee82ee]- Lvl 100 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4[/COLOR]
    [I]Twitter - @clarystainsun[/I]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkerinthemist View Post
    I duo with a fervour champ. SoW is a must-have.
    Agreed. Champs need that extra healing to combat the -30% penalty.

Switching between LI's every two minutes eventually becomes a routine event.
    I have a weapon with only To Arms on it that I switch to every 1 min, a buffer stick with all the good legacies, and my SoW emblem, while my mains have all the important static buffs.

18. Re: Why don't Captains care about Strength of Will

I have two emblems:

Primary:
    Rallying Cry Cooldown
    Rallying Cry Healing
    Vocal Skills Healing
    Melee Skills Healing
    Tactics: Focus
    Vitality

Secondary:
    Strength of Will
    Time of Need Cooldown
    Muster Courage Cooldown
    Shield of the Dunedain Cooldown
    Tactics: Focus

I use a G19 keyboard so it's one key press to swap emblems,
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000489f7/01002/signature.png]Ghira[/charsig]
    Ghira - 65 Captain | Corwen - 65 Runekeeper | Magdalene - 65 Guardian

I agree with whoever said that a lot of people probably neglect it because it's not very sexy, most other people in the raid probably don't even notice it unless they have Captains and know what it is. At best you might get an observant Minstrel who wonders why their healing numbers are so much higher, but they don't see any buffs on themself, so they just chalk it up to themselves being extra awesome, and everyone in the raid congradulates them on doing such a great job healing.

I think SoW is a must have personally.

The only issue with doing emblems swaps with it is due to it's long animation before the buff actually applies. So be careful if you're swapping emblems to apply SoW, if you don't wait 1-2s before swapping back to regular emblem your SB will only get the normal +5%.

I'm lucky I finally got SoW on my main.
    [B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#999999][SIZE=1]Revelations Kin of Firefoot[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]
    R9 Captain | R9 Champ | R9 LM[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#800000]R9 Reaver | R8 Warg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thumbs up Re: Why don't Captains care about Strength of Will

Quote Originally Posted by DreagonMK View Post
    I think SoW is a must have personally.

The only issue with doing emblems swaps with it is due to it's long animation before the buff actually applies. So be careful if you're swapping emblems to apply SoW, if you don't wait 1-2s before swapping back to regular emblem your SB will only get the normal +5%.

I'm lucky I finally got SoW on my main.
    Good point, this has been a mistake I've made a few times - but no more. I've always capped To Arms and left my SoW behind in LI points, but like it has been mentioned in the previous replies - it is a major benefit to the fellowship; a skill provided to the Captain class for a reason.

SoW does nothing FOR the captain. i think that is why you dont see it as much. it is worthless solo.

all that being said, you wont catch me without it! i freaking love this skill!

i dont have it on my "solo" emblem, but you better believe i spam this skill in groups!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    I never realized how important it is until shortly after BG came out. In fact, I thought it was a short duration buff like To Arms, instead of a whole 2 minutes
    Yeah, this. The tooltips for SoW & To Arms don't do a sufficient job of describing the magnitude & duration of the buffs. But To Arms at least has a deed to get people in the habit of spamming it; SoW doesn't. I know I scoffed at the cooldown at first, not realizing it could be kept up indefinitely with minimal effort. And the legacy quadruples the effectiveness. It's a no-brainer swap emblem legacy.
    Nemesis - Brandywine
    Jenith 100 Hunter || Gavigan 78 Guardian || Kazamir 76 Captain
    Gjorn 65 Champion || Anavel 65 Burglar || Thissis 100 Warden || Mezimus 70 Loremaster

SoW is what, a 60 sec cd?
    It lasts 2 mins.

Any captain too lazy to carry a maxed one and swap it in every 2 mins should be immediately replaced and scorned for hours in a public chat channel.

Same with To Arms.
    Same with Escape from Darkness
    Same with Time of Need (debatable)
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=White]The [/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"][SIZE=3][B]NOLDOR[/B][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] of Arkenstone[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

25. Re: Why don't Captains care about Strength of Will

Count me among the non-swappers... I tried but I found that swapping that often broke my rhythm, safe with a to arms weapon.... I prefer to have both of these on my main grouping items.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast